In my opinion Matchmaking Tournaments is a FAIL

in PvP

Posted by: Xuro.5861

Xuro.5861

My god what a horror experience.

3 Of my friends and me decided to do tournaments for a change since we always PvE together. We are between rank 6 and 15 so not that experienced in tPvP yet.

We enter and where do we end up …

Match 1 it’s us versus a team of level 40s in the same guild.
Match 2 it’s us versus a team of level 30’s in the same guild.
Match 3 it’s us versus a team of level 20’s + 30’s not in the same guild.

Why the f are we placed against such organised teams? We are getting our kitten handed to us (100 – 500 loss) and after this experience I will personally never set foot in that place again after finishing my monthly this month (for the laurels).

What a joke.

p.s. Yes I’m mad.

(edited by Xuro.5861)

in PvP

Posted by: ahuba.6430

ahuba.6430

yep it can be pretty frustrating. yesterday i had a series of games just like that, facing full premades of people with 10 to 20 rank levels difference, i even made a mad forum post like you, so i can relate. And yet today, i was in a premade and we had levels 12 to 29, and almost always played people with similar ratings, except one in wich we even played a guy that posts alot in the forums (duke henry or something) who was rank 41 and his team was like rank 8,12,21,24,41.
And what is weird is that you can get matches like this even if the queue pops instantly, so my guess is for some reason the system sometimes just doesnt work and select random people.
tl;dr: its because of situations like yours that i think matchmaking fixes should be top priority, or at least of them.

in PvP

Posted by: felivear.1536

felivear.1536

This post makes me sad. It’s one of the negative side-effects of not properly introducing a system at launch that would encourage growth, proper competition, and sustainability.

When the system first started, there was a thriving population that would support the things they are trying to do now. 7 months later, the changes are being added into a population that has been decimated.

Sorry you tried it, and sorry the system failed you.

feLIVEar: Your resident forum king.

in PvP

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

new players have a higher mmr than you would think.

the issue is that a high ranked team of say 40s, could face high ranked teams, and lose 2 or 3 in a row, then be faced off against a much lowe ranked team whos been winning 1 or 2 vs really low ranked teamsm. These teams are no where near equal, but the mmr rating is easily fooled.

Additionally the rating has little to work with what w the limited drawing pool. But your rank, has nothing to do with your mmr rating.

in PvP

Posted by: forrae.6708

forrae.6708

usually i would complain about this too, but right now im just too furious at how awful temple of whatever storms is.

thugged out since cubscouts

in PvP

Posted by: felivear.1536

felivear.1536

usually i would complain about this too, but right now im just too furious at how awful temple of whatever storms is.

You don’t like that map? I think temple is a really well made map. Fun side objectives and the map layout is great.

feLIVEar: Your resident forum king.

in PvP

Posted by: EoNxBoNx.9213

EoNxBoNx.9213

I am almost certain the matchmaking is like this because of the lack of players. Not because it’s bad.

“You’re either a Noob or a Pro your entire life, that’s life”
IGN – Kinjax // World – Anvil Rock
IGN – InTheseDays // World – Anvil Rock

in PvP

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

I am almost certain the matchmaking is like this because of the lack of players. Not because it’s bad.

i agree but… could be both too don’t you think?

in PvP

Posted by: forrae.6708

forrae.6708

You don’t like that map? I think temple is a really well made map. Fun side objectives and the map layout is great.

i just think its way claustrophobic. to me at least. always get swamped by zergs. just my luck i guess

thugged out since cubscouts

in PvP

Posted by: Ezrael.6859

Ezrael.6859

The matchmaking system in this game is kittening terrible.

Premade group of 5 Rank 40+ vs 5 Solo players. 1 Rank 30+ / 4 that are Rank 10 or lower.

Your matchmaking system is embarrassing, you should feel bad.

in PvP

Posted by: Sheslat.6750

Sheslat.6750

I can be a troll and say that rank don’t mean nothing,but you and me know that’s false but for the mmr the ppl with rank 40 and ppl with rank 1 who start in the new mmr system, they both have the same rank.

That’s a fail, you are right and the ppl who just start, like you, need a place to learn tournaments ( since in hotjoin you can’t learn nothing) I feel sorry for you and I hope Arenanet understand the priority to add some system for learn play and enjoy start in the Tpvp

in PvP

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Ya I just had a match with rank two rank 2’s and a rank 11 on my team the other player left at the start making it a 4v5. We got demolished no surprise to see the team was a premade ranging between rank 30-50. Also this wasn’t the first time I faced a stacked team

Now I know rank doesn’t mean much but pitting randoms vs a premade is bad enough. It’s probably because the tpvp/spvp scene is non-existent

in PvP

Posted by: Follidus.8027

Follidus.8027

It’s an issue with when you’re just starting out in spvp tournaments. These aren’t exact numbers or anything, but this is how other systems work so I imagine gw2 works in the same way:

When you’re new you might start out with a 1500 rating. When you win it goes up, and when you lose, it goes down. Yes, you all might be rank 6-15, but rank is not an indicator of how good you are.

When you go up against these teams of rank 20s, 30s, and 40s, they may very well be at a similar rating. If they win 10 games and lose 10 games, they’ll still be around that 1500 rating. Again, rank isn’t an indicator of how good you are, it is just an indicator of how much you have played.

Basically what I’m saying is when you play enough games you’ll see that you’ll mostly get matched up against people around your skill level. Sometimes you won’t if you queue as a group because there aren’t a lot of people that queue as a group at the moment. This can cause you to go up against teams that are a bit out of your league.

Cause I ain’t perfect, I never said I was.
But now they’re hating cause a brotha finally got some buzz
www.twitch.tv/Follidus – Team Absolute Legends

in PvP

Posted by: leungclj.4915

leungclj.4915

i think its just not enough people playing tPVP, so the system just lump anyone who is in the queue, more like first come first serve bases

in PvP

Posted by: EoNxBoNx.9213

EoNxBoNx.9213

i agree but… could be both too don’t you think?

Possibly, but with more players we would really be able to actually see this matchmaking’s potential, (if any).

“You’re either a Noob or a Pro your entire life, that’s life”
IGN – Kinjax // World – Anvil Rock
IGN – InTheseDays // World – Anvil Rock

in PvP

Posted by: Grizledorf.5290

Grizledorf.5290

Just to help you reflect a bit on the situation.

You only play PvE and you joined a PvP tournament to win Laurels. I hope this insight helps some.

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

rank isn’t an indicator of how good you are, it is just an indicator of how much you have played.

Yea, acquiring rating from fighting solo queuers with premades, and/or stomping nabs with premades/3 times the rank randoms is a far better indicator, I agree.
Also, generalizations about rank have become so cliché by now that I cba to explain the obvious logical fallacy that comes with it. While they might not be completely wrong, they’re not completely true either.

Basically what I’m saying is when you play enough games you’ll see that you’ll mostly get matched up against people around your skill level. Sometimes you won’t if you queue as a group because there aren’t a lot of people that queue as a group at the moment. This can cause you to go up against teams that are a bit out of your league.

You forgot to mention that premades now flock to 2-team tournaments (not like (m)any played the 8-team tournies to start with though…), because Anet didn’t implement premades-only 2-team tournies.

I honestly don’t unerstand what’s stopping them from adopting the RA &TA arena approach that GW used. It’s beyond me, and I’m really curious as to Anet’s reasons for not going with that.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

Its not really a fail, since your a premade team, it will put you against other premade teams, and most premade teams are high ranking.

That is why I strongly encourage people not to make premades if your not good at PvP yet, because YOU WILL FACE HIGH RANKING PEOPLE.

Also why I hate this new ‘if 1 person leaves the que, you have option to resubmit’, if you do that, it will assume your a premade team and you will get DESTROYED.

in PvP

Posted by: Duncanmix.5238

Duncanmix.5238

Probably problem is lack of players, basically system will try to match you against closest ranked team, and sometimes there is nothing close to your rank.
But as someone suggested here, just play solo. If you have 3 friends and all of you are bad at tpvp, then almost anything will beat you anyways. You have higher chance going solo and maybe other 4 will carry you to win.

Gunnar’s Hold

in PvP

Posted by: Ominous.8702

Ominous.8702

My god what a horror experience.

3 Of my friends and me decided to do tournaments for a change since we always PvE together. We are between rank 6 and 15 so not that experienced in tPvP yet.

We enter and where do we end up …

Match 1 it’s us versus a team of level 40s in the same guild.
Match 2 it’s us versus a team of level 30’s in the same guild.
Match 3 it’s us versus a team of level 20’s + 30’s not in the same guild.

Why the f are we placed against such organised teams? We are getting our kitten handed to us (100 – 500 loss) and after this experience I will personally never set foot in that place again after finishing my monthly this month (for the laurels).

What a joke.

p.s. Yes I’m mad.

Get DUNKED SON! But in all seriousness, I agree that whatever “MMR” they have in place for tPvP is either non-existent, or completely broken to the point of silliness. I’m an r31 in PvP so I know a thing or two about sPvP and I can honestly say that stomping lowbies is boring as kitten. Moreover, when I solo-queue and get matched against a crew of r50+ goons, I get rickrolled just as hard as you.

TL ; DR = Anet, your MMR system is garbage, and the fact that you’re not fixing it is going to drive people away from what is already a dwindling tPvP scene. Wake up and fix yo kitten please.

in PvP

Posted by: Bigmadness.8697

Bigmadness.8697

The matchmaking system in this game is kittening terrible.

Premade group of 5 Rank 40+ vs 5 Solo players. 1 Rank 30+ / 4 that are Rank 10 or lower.

Your matchmaking system is embarrassing, you should feel bad.

quoted for kittening truth

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

anet needs to improve their mmr formula

1) win/lost ratio not should be the only paramater. Experience is very important too, so rank should be filtered like 1-29 and 30-more or something like that. People rank 40+ can’t play with rank1 people, is not fun for all

2) premade vs pug is a nosense design, they need to fix this as soon as possible. They need to split solo/duo queue from premade queue.

in PvP

Posted by: Kwll.1468

Kwll.1468

There just aren’t enough players for the matchmaking to work well. Remember the queue is not hard it only waits a little bit before throwing you in with the best it can come up with. Now the question is should the queue be hard? My personal opinion at this point with the pvp population being so small is no. I don’t want to wait forever for matches. I would rather have some bad matches then sit around twiddling my thumbs. The fix for this is to actually grow that pvp player base or make changes that will bring some people back. Basically the pvp population is too low for matchmaking to work unless people are willing to sit around for extended periods of time.

in PvP

Posted by: Jacobin.8509

Jacobin.8509

MMR and rating have zero meaning when its Pre-mades versus PUGs so who even cares if it doesn’t work.

Unfortunately GW2 does not have enough teams to give them their own queue so the result is to bring spvp back to teams mindlessly PUG stomping noobs in order to keep queue times low.

in PvP

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

I completely agree with OP in this thread.

I am a level 36 player tho and I mainly do solo stuff. I don’t play with a team but I do a lot of spvp.

I do not understand how a pug player can get faced up against a whole set team of 5.

I have only managed to beat a team with a pug once so far.

Just another noob thief…

in PvP

Posted by: Zinwrath.2049

Zinwrath.2049

So i kept track of things. Out of 9 games, 8 of them the other team had a full premade with guild tag.

of the 9 games i won 2. One was against the team that wasnt premade, the other was very close. I also have come top score in 6 out of the 9 games (not really important but i was keeping track of that too).

Oh, 3 of those someone on my team left because they realized it was premade about 4 minutes in.

So ya, i too think i may retire this game for awhile, no point in leader boards if you dont have a premade.

in PvP

Posted by: josh.7390

josh.7390

You guys now that Rating got resetted with this patch? Atm everyone is almost on a equal rating, it will take some time till it will work properly… Another problem is that there is just one rating… So high rated soloqueres will probably face high rated premadea (this will be a problem when the rating is in for a month so there actually is a countable rating..)

in PvP

Posted by: Zinwrath.2049

Zinwrath.2049

MMR and rating have zero meaning when its Pre-mades versus PUGs so who even cares if it doesn’t work.

Unfortunately GW2 does not have enough teams to give them their own queue so the result is to bring spvp back to teams mindlessly PUG stomping noobs in order to keep queue times low.

this is actually false information they use as an excuse. There is enough to have the que seperated. By not seperating it, you just result in a lot of non-premade players getting discouraged and dodging when they see 5 guild tags, or people like myself who ran a personal test of the system, got qued up 8 out of 9 times against a premade, and thus is discouraged from queing at all. It would have been better to split them, they simply just didnt want to put forth the resources.

in PvP

ahuba.6430

You guys now that Rating got resetted with this patch? Atm everyone is almost on a equal rating, it will take some time till it will work properly… Another problem is that there is just one rating… So high rated soloqueres will probably face high rated premadea (this will be a problem when the rating is in for a month so there actually is a countable rating..)

no it wasnt.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Leaderboards

(edited by ahuba.6430)

in PvP

josh.7390

no it wasnt.

So why are they saying it will take time to collect information to build a ladder, there should allready be enough information?..

in PvP

ahuba.6430

no it wasnt.

So why are they saying it will take time to collect information to build a ladder, there should allready be enough information?..

they are waiting to see if the system can handle the information trafic etc etc nothing to do with collect information

in PvP

josh.7390

no it wasnt.

they are waiting to see if the system can handle the information trafic etc etc nothing to do with collect information

ahh… never said anything.. FAIL MATCHMAKING!!!!1111

in PvP

Posted by: Nettle.9025

Nettle.9025

I think it’s the fact that we really have no idea how volatile the MMR is in this game because we can’t see it. We also don’t know the starting level of new players, of which there are many lately because of the laurels.

It could be that there aren’t enough players. It could be that their MMR really is broken. Or a 3rd possibility is that MMR is so volatile that a partial/full premade losing 1 or 2 matches against other premades may find themselves up against solo people who have won a few in a row, or new players who may not have established MMR yet. We can’t know for sure though.

FWIW I solo queued about 10-12 matches last night. I only hit an obvious premade once, and only once was I paired with an obvious premade. With all the people in this for laurels, the majority of my matches were 4 people rank 20 or lower, usually 1-2 of which were under 10, plus me (r40), vs 4 low ranks and a higher rank.

Badding up tourneys since 2012
NA tPvP – Elementalist – Thief

in PvP

Posted by: Jono M.8519

Jono M.8519

MM is just ridiculously hit and miss right now. You’ll get a 2 or 3 good matches and then a long period of facing premades, leavers, etc etc. Just isn’t fun to be soloqing atm.