Is Conquest PvP a lot of 1v1?

in PvP

Posted by: Deltobbi.5638

Deltobbi.5638

I’ve been spectating the custom arena PvP a little. One thing I noticed is that everyone seems to split up and roam around to capture areas rather than fighting together. I know it’s 5v5 but I thought the maps would be designed in a way to get you fighting as a group and defending areas, not separating up for 1v1 or 2v2 battles

Is that the general feel of GW2 sPvP?

in PvP

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

If you zerg too much the enemy team can easily out rotate you and keep 2 points while you are all busy only winning one point.

But every game and every skill level is different. Generally the lower the skill level the bigger the team fights. Depends on comps too.

Of course at super low skill levels (hot join) you will get people just dueling 1v1 off point too. So it really varies…

in PvP

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

Its all a l2p issue. Generally your team should be more worried about home and mid leaving far for your roamer to decap. If your team is consistently losing team fights then i’d consider playing sides

Bad Elementalist

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

If you zerg too much the enemy team can easily out rotate you and keep 2 points while you are all busy only winning one point.

But every game and every skill level is different. Generally the lower the skill level the bigger the team fights. Depends on comps too.

Of course at super low skill levels (hot join) you will get people just dueling 1v1 off point too. So it really varies…

Disagree with this. The lower the skill level the smaller the team fights are because you have people doing stuff like dueling on side points, fighting in the middle of nowhere, or chasing secondary objectives where they make no sense to do so.

(edited by brannigan.9831)

in PvP

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

Disagree with this. The lower the skill level the smaller the team fights are because you have people doing stuff like dueling on side points, fighting in the middle of nowhere, or chasing secondary objectives where they make no sense to do so.

read my last sentence…

in PvP

Posted by: HappinessFactory.4910

HappinessFactory.4910

Skill aside. I think it depends on the team comp really. A perfectly balanced team comp or a team made of primarily low mobility builds (lookin @ you necros) are more incentivized to force big 4vx teamfights on mid and their home point.

In contrast teams with multiple thieves or highly mobile classes like ranger will be encouraged to rotate and create 2v1, 3v2 scenarios because they will lose against slow moving bunker builds in a big teamfight.

The better team will control the pace of the game to their advantage. With this in mind it’s easy to see why mesmer is an important part of a balanced team because mes portal can counter the fast moving rotating team.

in PvP

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

I think custom areas are just the wrong place to look. Those are typically fully unorganized teams and just go wherever.

If instead you look a pro games (many on twitch) you will see that there is often one big fight and possibly 1 small skirmish (depends also on the map, temple usually ends up in many 1v1 across the map for both the nodes and the buff).

I would say currently the meta is very team-fight centered.

in PvP

Posted by: Elegie.3620

Elegie.3620

Hotjoin games are special. People go there to test builds, to brawl, to train something specific… and most don’t care about playing Conquest. However, going to Unranked or Ranked, you will definitely see something different, with more team play. Too bad one cannot spectate there, you’ll have to watch streams…

The level in hotjoin is not below or above the level in ranked or unranked, it’s actually irrelevant. It’s just that you have a wider range of players, since you get no match making, so you can fight players way weaker or stronger than you are.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

A team can do a 1 2 1 split at the start of the match. If opposite team does the same, you now have two 1v1 fights going on. If it’s a close game, these fights may determine a node win and/or a +1 on either point.

1v1 is more of a factor than people think but it’s effectiveness is usually seen in Tournaments rather than soloQ.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

actually it depends on your role and mobility. At the beginning of the game you usually have a 1v1 on far or close ( exception on nifhelm ). With a high mobility character you are more likely to intercept people between nodes, especially when just capped because you need 16 sec to cap a node and 8 to cap. So you need to capitalise on your node a bit.

You just have to remember one thing, you usually don’t profit from 1v1 and it worsen as the fight drags on. Pvp is a team game, most started 1v1 doesn’t end as 1v1.

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]