Is elementalist intended for pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Glenstorm.4059

Glenstorm.4059

I’m just a hotjoin scrub, but to me it does seem like the skill floor to be able to play DPS Ele is a bit too high. I have seen great Ele players dismantle opponents with Fresh Air builds, but I honestly think that was just because the Eles in question were superior overall players; given equal skill, I don’t believe the Eles would win.

It also seems like other classes’ Marauder builds are just easier to survive with; I play Ele exclusively though, so I may be wrong. IMO Marauder builds should be HARD to survive with, and all classes’ defensive mechanics should be nerfed with this in mind. Of course, every class will need to be compensated with additional non-DPS builds being made viable.

IMO Ele is just wayyyy too dependent on Toughness or Healing Power to survive in PVP; it is why it was pigeonholed into Celestial and Cleric roles (though I have to admit that both were overtuned), and it is why playing DPS Ele is so hard.

Fear the might of SHATTERSTONE.

in PvP

Posted by: DrDivine.5378

DrDivine.5378

Ele is a great healer and support, probably the best of that category. I have a lot of fun with mine, but I do think there should be at least one option for a dps oriented build.

Eles have very low vitality and their utilities don’t do much to compensate for that unless you go full healer support. Similar to guardian, heals are a big part of it’s survivability. The guardian has blocks and high toughness to make up for the low vitality, ele has similar vitality but without the natural bulk.

in PvP

Posted by: Rigante.2470

Rigante.2470

You must have about 3 months experience in pvp to write this. Elementalists could use a boost but overall going back 4 years it might be the number one class for pvp since the start of the game. There have been very few periods of time when Ele has been non meta.

in PvP

Posted by: Mr Godlike.6098

Mr Godlike.6098

You must have about 3 months experience in pvp to write this. Elementalists could use a boost but overall going back 4 years it might be the number one class for pvp since the start of the game. There have been very few periods of time when Ele has been non meta.

I think you don’t understand op – right now it’s impossible to make optimal dps build on pair with any other class after HoT power/sustain creep. It’s true that ele was for long time in meta…but can you call celestial anything true dps build?

It’s not that ele’s want to be in meta or something…we need seriously some BUILD DIVERSITY! ELE’s NEEDS AT LEAST NEW AMULET!

Right now every ele out there just hate being stuck as healbot almost YEAR

Was depressed ele…now depressed druid
Kawaleria (KW)

in PvP

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

Build diversity? like before hot? There was only cele DD, nothing more (eventually fresh air but had a really high skill cap then only few used it).

And, anyway, the cele ele WAS a DPS BUNKER class during the Bunker meta.
Able to easly build up 25 stacks of might in a boon meta, it’s basic statistics in celestial was higher than a basic pure dps class, with 2200 power and 1600 condition damage and able to inflict both high direct damage and high condition damage.
The problem of the cele ele was not only his insane survavibility but also it’s insane damage in a bunker meta where no one was able to match his damage without lose all his defences.
That’s why the only class able to kill him was the necromancer: the necro was able to corrupt his Might and Protection, making him unable to inflict his insane damage and have it’s permanent 33% of direct damage reduction with a insane ability to clean conditions.

When the bunker meta ended and the ele lost his celestial amulet, it was no more able to do every single aspect of the game by himself and was no more OP as it was for YEARS. Then a lot of players chose to change class for another meta (as always), making elementalist community smaller than ever. Not why the ele don’t have a role or a good build, just why is no more able to do Everything with a single build. Now you have to chose a specific role and play it.
The bad is that the ele best role of the moment is the support/bunker build and not so much players like that role.

The ele now is hard to play but there’s a Supporter build that is really strong, I fought it in different matches and, if is a good player that use it, it’s the best support build of the moment, making the ele able to support the entire team, ress, heal and CC the enemy, while stacking might and inflicting a medium amount of damage. Also have some defensive Immunity skills that make him able to survive to focus and burst.

Yes, there’s no more a dps build and not everyone want to play a support/bunker, but that’s his actual best role and it’s able to make it really good.

in PvP

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

Currently in pvp Elementalist has no viable power builds. There is one build worth playing using Tempest and ONE other build using core spec, and that’s fresh air.

Glass staff eles aren’t meta, but they’re definitely viable, even if they’re hard to play.

in PvP

Posted by: alain.1659

alain.1659

Before hot there was at least scepter fresh air ele that needed immense amount of reflex and a setting without lag. But it was cool. Now ele’s only have a pickle. Single, dried, ugly, smelly pickle.

in PvP

Posted by: Zintrothen.1056

Zintrothen.1056

Eles are the jack of all trades profession. We have 4 attunements that all do different things with different stats, and yet we have to pick one amulet with only 3-4 stats, which ends up making certain attunements much weaker than others. Another thing that forces Eles into a support role is that damage is so high and Eles have very few ways to avoid it. They have to heal through it and tank it most of the time, so without healing power and at least one defensive stat, they’ll die quickly unless they’re running a range weapon and are good at running away. Even ally peels won’t help them much if they’re too squishy.

There are only two viable amulets, and only one is actually being used: Mender’s and Sage’s. Both have healing power, vitality, power and one other stat to help with damage. And the reason Sage’s isn’t picked is because its healing power is so much lower, and such high condition damage is far more useless than some extra crit. Every attunement has power damage attacks, but only two have condition damage attacks. Take a look at the trait lines. Earth is the only one that really helps condition damage. Fire has more traits that help increase fire power attacks than condition ones. There are so few traits that actually help condition damage, so why would anyone pick an amulet with half the healing of Mender’s and so much condition damage that would end up being wasted because of the lack of condition attacks and condition damage traits? You have to pick the amulet that helps with power damage because that’ll go a lot further for any Ele.

Don’t take my numbers too literally. They’re very much rounded and general.

in PvP

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Glass Fresh air and glass staff ele both work just fine in the meta, they’re just REALLY hard to play so they will never be “meta” since in GW2 meta builds are measured by how low the skill floor is, not how high the skill ceiling is.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in PvP

Posted by: NotASmurf.1725

NotASmurf.1725

Glass Fresh air and glass staff ele both work just fine in the meta, they’re just REALLY hard to play so they will never be “meta” since in GW2 meta builds are measured by how low the skill floor is, not how high the skill ceiling is.

There is absolutely nothing hard about staff, quite possibly has the lowest skill floor/ceiling of all ele weapons. It’s just kitten, and only works vs kitten tier players.

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Elementalist has a high skill high reward factor to it right now.

You can use about 6 Amulets currently that are viable (working on another build for Viper with the help of another Ele main), this Sage/Menders only thing is just an example of the Ele’s low skill high reward factor builds. There are MUCH better set ups if people knuckle down on the class and experiment a little.

Most people I’ve met in game don’t even know Ele can unload an Air Overload that pulsates Immobilize. Once you start figuring out those “combos”, all of a sudden the class is a lot more useful than you thought it could ever be.

As for Dagger Offhand – It’s a utility weapon more than anything.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

in PvP

Posted by: duster.7013

duster.7013

Being up isn’t a problem. Being boring is.

Hell they’re really good rn. You can easilly clock 600k total healing and 250k damage every game, with a lot of ally damage mitigation. But they take very little skill outside of bodyblocking/timing/reads.

Menders is the only actually viable choice, sages is a gimmick build that barely even nets you more damage. Fresh air stomping in unranked is worthless. There are dps builds with mountains more utility/tankyness.

Like, why ever take fresh air over scrapper/mes/staff theif/rev?

(edited by duster.7013)

in PvP

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Like, why ever take fresh air over scrapper/mes/staff theif/rev?

Why take anything over the 5 best meta builds on the 5 best classes? That’s always been the core issue with GW2 sPvP. There’s no room for others. Maybe its ele this patch, maybe its the thief next patch or the warrior the patch after that. It doesnt matter what Anet do. They can never get it right because that’s how they designed sPvP.

I miss the 8v8 matches we had at launch :/

in PvP

Posted by: Alin.2468

Alin.2468

I do play and have lots of fun with Elementalist, when it’s on daily. Elementalist is not worth playing for the reasons already stated by so many players in the past few months (since HoT). Why play support in a meta designed for power creep? Why try to do damange when all attunements combined in 10 seconds can not output the damage of any other profession in same given time? Why weewee against the wind? Seriously, you have to be insane to choose elementalist in PvP.

Like stated by many others, the only moment in history when Elementalist was good, was that moment when for PvP existed Celestial Amulet, because every spell had it’s small place in a big picture. Right now, I do not wish to play with half of skills (or half of profession), just because I play only support or only dps. Elementalist is a full ongoing concept bug, because it has to be reanalized from scratch. And, as we all know the design is made with PvE in mind (because it sells) then we will have to wait a long time for Elementalist back in meta for PvP.

Meanwhile, I strongly advise all players to not choose elementalist in PvP, but instead learn something new, something with lots of dps and and have fun with it. Elementalist is like a fluffy little kitten, you love it, it’s cute, but it will die fast against angry professions with burning swords and poisonous axes in their hands.

This is the best elementalist build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh5zjK7ITpQ

in PvP

Posted by: duster.7013

duster.7013

I do play and have lots of fun with Elementalist, when it’s on daily. Elementalist is not worth playing for the reasons already stated by so many players in the past few months (since HoT). Why play support in a meta designed for power creep? Why try to do damange when all attunements combined in 10 seconds can not output the damage of any other profession in same given time? Why weewee against the wind? Seriously, you have to be insane to choose elementalist in PvP.

Like stated by many others, the only moment in history when Elementalist was good, was that moment when for PvP existed Celestial Amulet, because every spell had it’s small place in a big picture. Right now, I do not wish to play with half of skills (or half of profession), just because I play only support or only dps. Elementalist is a full ongoing concept bug, because it has to be reanalized from scratch. And, as we all know the design is made with PvE in mind (because it sells) then we will have to wait a long time for Elementalist back in meta for PvP.

Meanwhile, I strongly advise all players to not choose elementalist in PvP, but instead learn something new, something with lots of dps and and have fun with it. Elementalist is like a fluffy little kitten, you love it, it’s cute, but it will die fast against angry professions with burning swords and poisonous axes in their hands.

Ele support is viable, and by choosing diamond skin/stone heart you can make yourself nearly immortal in several 2v2. The toughness and healing pulse is enough to keep ally necros alive to pump out dmg.

in PvP

Posted by: ResJudicator.7916

ResJudicator.7916

Usually when people say “meta,” they’re referring to the proleague scene and the builds that get filtered down from there. They’re not talking about what’s popular in hotjoin or unranked.

To that end, “meta” builds aren’t defined by being low skill floor. They’re defined by being the most effective in the hands of a skilled player with a coordinated team, against other skilled players.

Neither fresh air nor dps staff (aka jihad ele) can compete in that context. Some of the top eles like Phantaram and Zoose tried to make fresh air work in previous patches and they quickly gave up. It’s not a skill issue, it’s the fact that the sustained DPS is so low to the point where your opponent can save every dodge and defensive skill solely to neutralize your phoenix bursts, which have relatively long CDs. On top of that, you have mediocre mobility (compared to thief/rev) and inferior sustain.

Not to say the builds suck in every situation, but they certainly aren’t competitive compared to other meta builds which can fulfill the roamer & dps roles much more effectively.

Ele has been pidgenholed into a support role, which it excels at. It’ll probably stay that way until A.net figures out ways to give ele DPS builds access to defensive skills that somehow don’t synergize with bunker or support builds. (For example, some trait interactions between fire and air that can provide meaningful damage mitigation).

(edited by ResJudicator.7916)

in PvP

Posted by: ProDecius.2609

ProDecius.2609

Fresh Air imo, is the only spvp option for ele. Ele healing is garbage nowadays and they get bursted anyway, it’s a slow and sluggish build that has a lot of limits. . Play Fresh Air instead, get gud. You can thank me later.

in PvP

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

I found different good eles on my way in this days and they all make really good things.
Almost all of them had a bunker build but also they was seriously long to kill even in 2vs1 and granted a really big support to they’re team.

The bunker/support build can be not the favorite build for alomst every player, but that ele build is really strong and in the right hands can change the end of a team fight.

in PvP

Posted by: Tomiyou.3790

Tomiyou.3790

Currently in pvp Elementalist has no viable power builds. There is one build worth playing using Tempest and ONE other build using core spec, and that’s fresh air.

Glass staff eles aren’t meta, but they’re definitely viable, even if they’re hard to play.

No, they are not viable. Viable =/= viable in ranked. You could be the Terminator himself, a freaking computer and you wouldn’t be able to make it viable in diamond or legend. If you want to know why, just ask and I’ll tell you why.

in PvP

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Most people I’ve met in game don’t even know Ele can unload an Air Overload that pulsates Immobilize. Once you start figuring out those “combos”, all of a sudden the class is a lot more useful than you thought it could ever be.

If you’re talking about what I think you’re talking about, I’m not sure it’s worth the setup and fiddliness to actually pull it off. Cute when you do, though.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in PvP

Posted by: Mr Godlike.6098

Mr Godlike.6098

No, they are not viable. Viable =/= viable in ranked. You could be the Terminator himself, a freaking computer and you wouldn’t be able to make it viable in diamond or legend. If you want to know why, just ask and I’ll tell you why.

I seen in diamond and legend staff ele’s and they did what they should do…they are people can make it viable but without team they can’t carry anything on the level of any class x in this game. Similar thing with mender heallbot thing but at least staff is not boring.

Something tells me that pvp community want’s ele’s to stay at being boring as hell…too bad…ele is the best at hard countering DH noob stompers…enjoy season 5th season dh whine treads.

Was depressed ele…now depressed druid
Kawaleria (KW)

in PvP

sephiroth.4217

If you’re talking about what I think you’re talking about, I’m not sure it’s worth the setup and fiddliness to actually pull it off. Cute when you do, though.

No it’s definitely not worth the set up outside of burn trolling or something…

….. And Elementalist.

in PvP

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Looks like I got it wrong anyway. I thought it was a matter of using Arcane Power with the Elemental Surge trait while in earth attunement, switching to air, and then overloading, but I was wondering if that actually worked so I gave it a try. Nope. Pulses blind instead.

Can use GoEP to pulse Cripple that way, though.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in PvP

Posted by: Jekkt.6045

Jekkt.6045

ele is completely dead and what remains of tempest is a boring spamfest. no other build than shout support is playable without crippling your team. if they nerf the heals/cleanses of tempest the class will completely vanish from pvp.

Ex player of PeanutButterJellyTime, Heavenly Annoying and Visceral Gaming.

in PvP

Posted by: xp eke xp.6724

xp eke xp.6724

for compeditiv ele is not playable.
But its your choise.

The best builds for that class are fresh-air ele, with the new line.

in PvP

Posted by: ArthurDent.9538

ArthurDent.9538

Looks like I got it wrong anyway. I thought it was a matter of using Arcane Power with the Elemental Surge trait while in earth attunement, switching to air, and then overloading, but I was wondering if that actually worked so I gave it a try. Nope. Pulses blind instead.

Reverse the order. Cast overload air then swap to earth and use elemental surge while the overload is still ticking. Air overload pulses I believe 10 times after the channel is done so plenty of time for imob spam.

14 Dungeon paths soloed
Lupi solos on 9/9 professions
Wost Engi NA

in PvP

sephiroth.4217

Close…

Fire Overload, switch to Earth and use the Arcane Power…. Immobolizes people in the Firestorm to stack burns, kind of useful for a Sage Amulet. Power/Condi application with intelligence sigils and Arcane crits.

Ele has lots of tricks up it’s sleeves and lots of builds, Paladin Ammy with Aura share with D/D and Surging runes is 20s uptime on static aura share. Absolutely brutal against anything with AoE or Melee heavy teams. (just an example)

Ele is hard to learn. after 4 years of the class I am still learning things about it. I would hate to see Ele fall into the DH trap tier of gameplay, boring and user friendly.

….. And Elementalist.