Is it fair to have alts in top 250?

in PvP

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Q:

Now that Anet is addressing the cheating that went on by players in the top 250, I’m wondering about the other issues that currently occur. Mainly the idea that the top 250 leaderboard is suppose to reward skilled individuals with title and fame. But even with a bunch of accounts being removed, there are still people who have multiple alts placed high.

My question to the Devs is: what do they think of the fairness of their system if it allows one skilled player to farm their alts up the ladder? I’m assuming that there are less than 200 individual players in the actual top 250. Heck, I heard that the top 10 consists of 7 real people, but I don’t know how true this is.

In a perfect world, rankings would be limited to one per person. In the World Cup standings, you don’t see the USA with multiple high ranking teams. In golf, you don’t see Tiger Woods listed with Tigger Woulds on the money list. Why can’t our leaderboard be the same?

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in PvP

Posted by: sapphire.8174

sapphire.8174

They got rid of some of the alts today, but what about the remaining alts that are still taking up spots specifically in the top 10, there’s already 3 alts accounts there. And in the top 50, there’s still a lot of alt accounts spread across the leaderboard.

in PvP

Posted by: Sooloo.1364

Sooloo.1364

It’s a video game, it don’t matter.

in PvP

Posted by: Kreweless.2196

Kreweless.2196

C’mon buddy, we can still converse about improving the experience for those of us that are invested in the success and improvement of the game we like.

What would the implications of limiting Rankings to one per IP address be?

I suppose that could harm a small group of players that are both roommates and fall into the top >1% of PvPers? Certainly, there are work-arounds, and you know we’d see them in NA.

I guess you have to wonder why we Americans (and probably Canadians) are more willing to seek out exploits and game the ranking/rating system than we are to improve our gameplay in a casual PvP game with as few as makes no difference cash payouts.

in PvP

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

Me and my little sister both play in the same house. If it were limited to one IP address it would mean that only one of us could participate per season. Also, I know of at least one married couple that play together, from the same home. I don’t think limiting it to one account per IP address is the answer for those reasons. But I agree that it should be one person per account on the leadership board. I can’t think of any way to do this besides limiting it to IP address.

in PvP

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Me and my little sister both play in the same house. If it were limited to one IP address it would mean that only one of us could participate per season. Also, I know of at least one married couple that play together, from the same home. I don’t think limiting it to one account per IP address is the answer for those reasons. But I agree that it should be one person per account on the leadership board. I can’t think of any way to do this besides limiting it to IP address.

pretty sure ip is per computer? but yeah if sharing that would be a problem.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in PvP

Posted by: Sooloo.1364

Sooloo.1364

C’mon buddy, we can still converse about improving the experience for those of us that are invested in the success and improvement of the game we like.

What would the implications of limiting Rankings to one per IP address be?

I suppose that could harm a small group of players that are both roommates and fall into the top >1% of PvPers? Certainly, there are work-arounds, and you know we’d see them in NA.

I guess you have to wonder why we Americans (and probably Canadians) are more willing to seek out exploits and game the ranking/rating system than we are to improve our gameplay in a casual PvP game with as few as makes no difference cash payouts.

I actually meant from the perspective of professional sports as the op had implied, in the grand scheme of things video games don’t matter. I’m also annoyed by the fact that these top players aren’t actually even playing, this whole season has been match dodging and match manipulation. PvP is meant to be a contest of players playing each other, not hiding from matches and playing lower ranks in off peak hours.

in PvP

Posted by: Kreweless.2196

Kreweless.2196

Me and my little sister both play in the same house. If it were limited to one IP address it would mean that only one of us could participate per season.

I just mean limiting one IP address per spot on the Rankings. Neither you nor your sister are in the Top 250, so you’d be unaffected.

I’m also annoyed by the fact that these top players aren’t actually even playing, this whole season has been match dodging and match manipulation. PvP is meant to be a contest of players playing each other, not hiding from matches and playing lower ranks in off peak hours.

Couldn’t agree with you more. It’s the weirdest NA phenomenon that players would rather avoid the game than maybe face the fact that they’re not as Legendary as their mommies told them.

I dunno dude, make an EU f2p account and see if the ping is playable from where you live. Or just try another gametype until Season 6. Or maybe just try another game.

in PvP

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

If my wife was in the top 250 I’d have a lot more children than I do.

in PvP

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

‘fair’, sure.

It’s absolutely detrimental to the game, though, and should not be encouraged.

I don’t think I’d feel bad about ANet removing alt accounts from the leaderboard.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in PvP

Posted by: Sevenfold.8702

Sevenfold.8702

If there was an option to opt out of leaderboards, i would do it for my alt.