Is it just me?

Is it just me?

in PvP

Posted by: Magnito.6187

Magnito.6187

A few months ago they came up with a poll about wether pvp should be restricted to to solo/duo queue only. And I was stunned by the fact so many people voted yes for that.
(I’d like to remind you this is a team based competitive game mode)

That being aside, hey now, there’s a new poll up! They want to avoid class stacking. They want to AVOID, the one thing people have been crying their eyes out about. It was obvious. I had to go vote yes. Because why would we not want fair match ups and leaderboards reflecting your “true skill”, through linking it to the class you main.

Yet again, community, you’ve left amazed. Turns out a lot of people voted against it. And I just can’t find the reason why. Is this just me?

Is it just me?

in PvP

Posted by: Terrorsquad.2349

Terrorsquad.2349

The reason behind it is because people do not know what builds others are playing.
As in having 5 different classes: Ok
But having 5 zerkers (because you can’t control what the people are running as builds)

In my opinion this can be easily fixed if you can queue up as Roamer, DPS or DPS/DEF Support, next to the class-stacklimit. So that you would always have 5 different classes AND different roles (1 roamer allowed per team, 2 or 3 DPS allowed per team and 1-2 Support allowed per team).

People also are afraid of class-stacklimit because it would make queue times longer.
Anet can also implent a code where class-stacklimit increase from 1 to 2 after a 4-5mins queue.

TL;DR all the stuff people are afraid about can be fixed by Anet in the longrun, but they don’t want to take the risk of voting “yes”.

Denied | 5.9k PvP Games | PvP Rank: 236 | 8.6k hours | 9 Legendaries | Still Bad.

Is it just me?

in PvP

Posted by: usnedward.9023

usnedward.9023

A few months ago they came up with a poll about wether pvp should be restricted to to solo/duo queue only. And I was stunned by the fact so many people voted yes for that.

That being aside, hey now, there’s a new poll up! They want to avoid class stacking. They want to AVOID, the one thing people have been crying their eyes out about. It was obvious. I had to go vote yes. Because why would we not want fair match ups and leaderboards reflecting your “true skill”, through linking it to the class you main.

Yet again, community, you’ve left amazed. Turns out a lot of people voted against it. And I just can’t find the reason why. Is this just me?

Let me explain from my point of view especially when people like you state this is a team game. (not being mean just a comparison).

If PvP were team based then it would be just that…TEAM. Duo queuing is not team based except for the two queuing. PvP titles that award to SINGLE individuals is not team based. THUS that may be the reason people voted against DUO queuing. So if you get a top title but used duo queuing with various friends then you are not truly the one of top players because you did not get there by yourself. It is team to some because you get 4 individuals and you must be cohesive as a team to win. OFC this is just my opinion. Some will say even this is not truly a solo win to which I would agree because regardless of how you become the top player it is not truly by yourself.

This is why many want a 5v5 team queue but many state there is not enough people and queue times would be long. Then have a single queue to find out who is the best. But where does that leave people like me that have no interest in team play like pre-made 5’s.

Team only applies at this moment to Fractals, dungeons, world bosses and WvW because without a full support of the team you cannot win what you are trying to defeat. PvP as it stands is not team oriented.

Granted Death – Necro
Consumed Hate – Thief
Unlucky Scrub – Ranger

Is it just me?

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

The reason behind it is because people do not know what builds others are playing.
As in having 5 different classes: Ok
But having 5 zerkers (because you can’t control what the people are running as builds)

In my opinion this can be easily fixed if you can queue up as Roamer, DPS or DPS/DEF Support, next to the class-stacklimit. So that you would always have 5 different classes AND different roles (1 roamer allowed per team, 2 or 3 DPS allowed per team and 1-2 Support allowed per team).

People also are afraid of class-stacklimit because it would make queue times longer.
Anet can also implent a code where class-stacklimit increase from 1 to 2 after a 4-5mins queue.

TL;DR all the stuff people are afraid about can be fixed by Anet in the longrun, but they don’t want to take the risk of voting “yes”.

Unfortunately …. Classic human behavior. If unease majority votes no. And a few negative comments can sowball this. The start of the poll was clearly in favor of yes.
Result: Vote for no change and missed oportunity to build a base for improvement.

Is it just me?

in PvP

Posted by: usnedward.9023

usnedward.9023

One more thing. I think ANET needs to get away from polls. Not a true consensus because not everyone will vote if even half of the PvP community were to vote I would be surprised.

I would like to see the Devs troll these forums instead of reddit and read what goes on here and the concerns. Create a spreadsheet of concerns then maybe have a beta of changes before just dropping them on everyone.

Too many times I see a mod post on forums… “I’ll pass that along”. WHY? Just come and see for yourself

Granted Death – Necro
Consumed Hate – Thief
Unlucky Scrub – Ranger

Is it just me?

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

The poll wasn’t about class stacking. People who took 10 seconds to think realized that and voted “No”.

There’s been a matchmaking factor for unique profession, but it’s always been turned off or set low. When it was enabled, it generated worse and slower matches compared to letting players fix their groups once they loaded in.

If a profession is stacked because it’s really good (usually because it’s easy to play compared to how well it performs), then it’s a balance problem, not a matchmaking problem.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

Is it just me?

in PvP

Magnito.6187

Can’t say much more than ‘Aye, agree’. I hope people start choosing quality over quantity.

That aside, honestly, did the previous season reflect ‘skill’? Duo/soloqueueing has been more a pain than it has been an improvement. We can’t get around this, if the mechanics of the game mode depend so much on teamwork, there’s no way you can show of individuals as the ‘better’. But you can show a team as the ‘better’. Just like ESL’s did, like ToL did. The only way to reflect individual skill, would be to make an entirely different gamemode. And I don’t see that happening anywhere soon.

Is it just me?

in PvP

Magnito.6187

The poll wasn’t about class stacking. People who took 10 seconds to think realized that and voted “No”.

There’s been a matchmaking factor for unique profession, but it’s always been turned off or set low. When it was enabled, it generated worse and slower matches compared to letting players fix their groups once they loaded in.

If a profession is stacked because it’s really good (usually because it’s easy to play compared to how well it performs), then it’s a balance problem, not a matchmaking problem.

It’s indirectly leading to avoiding class stacking tho. People who took 10 seconds to think realized that and voted ‘Yes’.

Is it just me?

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

They want to avoid class stacking.

they didn’t say that.

the big title reads

Profession Locking
PvP
Poll

“Profession Locking”
does not sound like avoid class stacking to me

Question
The Guild Wars 2 PvP team is exploring the idea of locking profession during queue for Arenas. Locking profession would allow player profession to be accounted for to increase matchmaking accuracy, but may increase matchmaking times.

they simply wish to prevent players from changing professions once players have loaded into the map.

actually, at the moment, players can change professions themselves to avoid cases of having 2 thieves in the team or other issues etc.

but if this change goes in, players will not be able to do that.

Yes
Yes, I want professions locked upon queuing for Ranked and Unranked arenas.

Attempting to switch professions after a match has been made will not allow re-entrance.

No
No, I want to be able to switch professions up until the round begins.

Players can adjust team composition during match warmup.

anyway, looking at both yes and no choices, it seems like they already decided to lock the professions anyway.

previously, we can still change profession halfway through the match if we want to. and now they are taking that away from us. forcefully, as usual.

fortunately, no is winning by a bit.
so players still can change profession before the match starts.

Is it just me?

in PvP

Wolfric.9380

unfortunately this will prevent class MMR usage and Class Leaderboards and thus improving the match quality. Class lock on Q would solve the class daily or artefact requirement issues by ranking players acording their class skill. It won´t have negativ impact below platin and bring benefit to the larger part of the player base.
And if we talk at high level it will come down to swap in the last moment tricks to coutner oposing team as good as possible and i see this done by stacking classes too.
No is the “I fear a change” answer or even worse “I fear to loose a benefit” ot the i don´t trust ANet to use this change to improve the game. Alls three options are hindering progress.

Is it just me?

in PvP

Posted by: Spoichiche.1290

Spoichiche.1290

I was first very tempted to vote yes, but after reading some explanations from the devs, i voted no.
Okay, first of all, profession locking is not equivalent to no profession stacking. The devs clearly said that if profession locking is a thing, there won’t be a hard limit on profession stacking, the matchmaker will try his best to avoid stacking, but that’s just that : his best.

Also, profession is not equivalent to role. Having 5 unique profession doesn’t make a team composition balanced.
If i play ele, and i get magi druid/mender engi/mender dh/condi thief on my team, i’d rather log out and get a quick loss than go through the nightmare that was bunker s1 meta again.
If i play rev, and i get necro/thief/war/dh, against a balanced comp, the game’s already lost. Oh, i’ll play it, and it will be a fun match since there will be tons of kills and stuff blowing up in half a second, but it is not a competitive match at all.
Because the matchmaker doesn’t try to form balanced team comp, players need to be able to switch classes, and i don’t even recall a single match in platinum or higher where none of the 10 players rerolled to get a better teamcomp.

Basicaly, i want to be able to play necro and not type ggwp at the start of the game because i have no support. And while profession mmr and leaderboard seems nice, class stacking is not an issue outside of bronze and silver. (and i’m selfish, so i don’t care about bronze/silver)

Is it just me?

in PvP

Wolfric.9380

you named it. platinum + swaps and it´s selfish to vote no for a change that will make the game better for 90%.
I somtimes swap to. But not for team comp. I swap to counter enemy stacked classes and i look if oponent swaps before. And i load fast. Can Q outside of mists and have SSD HD … LoL. Can it actually be that swaping classes support build wars? Fast PC´s and “Pro” poker gaming who swaps best?

(edited by Wolfric.9380)

Is it just me?

in PvP

Posted by: Bezerker.2379

Bezerker.2379

Class stacking is primarily an issue in low ranking matchups. At higher tiers, players know how to switch chars to counter comps.

Part of the strength in spvp is the ability to counter the enemy’s comp during the initial ready time of the match. It is on us to communicate our roles to our team, and ensure that we don’t wind up with 3 supports and 2 dps. It is not up to matchmaking. On the flipside, it is on us to see if the enemy has 4 dragonhunters to play classes that counter DH fairly easily.

Why did I vote no? Because the ability to adjust my class based on the enemy and my team’s composition is one of the last remaining choices we have in this semi forced meta. I do not want to see that removed. Matchmaking already tries to ensure that you don’t queue with 4 dragonhunters for example, but people switch to it after match entry. I’m fine with that. They counterable.

Last season was an awesome season. The solo/duo was a lot of fun. The ranked changes were great. I found myself competitively fighting for the first time in a long while. I felt the decay could use some work, leaderboard manipulation could be fixed, and the deviation from not playing every day could use some tweaking (You can get on some pretty brutal MMR loss if you don’t play for a week and get stuck with the bronze players during your decay. ), but other than that, it was my favorite season yet.

Is it just me?

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

The way I read it, you couldn’t switch characters once the match started. However, once the match was made, but before you were locked in you had the option to switch up and roll 5 thieves if your team wanted. All it seemed to prevent was people from switching out of a build that you figured out wouldn’t work after the first fight, or switching at the end to get a profession based win for their backpack.

Is it just me?

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

It’s indirectly leading to avoiding class stacking tho. People who took 10 seconds to think realized that and voted ‘Yes’.

Maybe in your imagination.

Part of matchmaking is finding matches for people who are in queue longer. It works against the factor that tries to make professions unique per team. Unless you have a large population and profession selections aren’t dramatically skewed, you’ll end up with stacked professions anyway. All you’ve done is make them wait longer for worse matches because the skill rating differential increased over time.

From the huge complaints on the forums, it would seem DH and warr numbers are dramatically skewed. So no, this will not prevent stacking.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

Is it just me?

in PvP

Posted by: Ruru.1302

Ruru.1302

People want to avoid class stacking because more often than not, the team with 3 DHs loses the game.

Not because class stacking is an unfair advantage.

mag
[Mada] Apocryfia

Is it just me?

in PvP

Posted by: SweetPotato.7456

SweetPotato.7456

SOLO Queue

Guild Wars 2 Forever