Is it me or is PVP decay a really dumb idea?

in PvP

Posted by: TopBadge.3569

TopBadge.3569

I’m really not sure what this does in terms of creating balanced games.

Lets say a gold or above player goes inactive for a while now they’re bronze 1 that player hasn’t suddenly become worse in the time they’ve been away. You might be thinking well no problem then they’ll be able to climb out fairly quickly right and sure assuming they dominate they will but that doesn’t take into consideration the players they’re unfairly pushing back down and players they’re unfairly pushing up in the process.

My thoughts behind all this is that the divisions function like a kind of MMR if the wiki is to be believed so maybe I’m completely wrong. hopefully we can have an interesting discussion.

in PvP

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

Decay is necessary.

Imagine if someone did very well in their 10 placement matches, placed in the top 250, then never play again after that for the rest of the season and got a title. Is that fair?

Decay is necessary.

in PvP

Posted by: LUST.7241

LUST.7241

Decay is necessary.

Imagine if someone did very well in their 10 placement matches, placed in the top 250, then never play again after that for the rest of the season and got a title. Is that fair?

Decay is necessary.

They wouldn’t even be in the Top 250 because you’d need over 100 games played in ranked at that point.

in PvP

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

Decay is necessary.

Decay is necessary.

They wouldn’t even be in the Top 250 because you’d need over 100 games played in ranked at that point.

It’s just a hypothetical. Sitting on on a high rank for a whole season that you obtain early isn’t fair. You should consistently be fighting to maintain your position.

in PvP

Posted by: LUST.7241

LUST.7241

Decay is necessary.

Decay is necessary.

It’s just a hypothetical. Sitting on on a high rank for a whole season that you obtain early isn’t fair. You should consistently be fighting to maintain your position.

It’s not a hypothetical, it’s impossible with the current setup.

I’m not against decay, I’m just saying with a Games Requirement to even be on the Leaderboard, it makes decay pointless at the end.

I’m not against decay…but Recovering from decay is easy, it’s just a hindrance and your rating isn’t even effected by being in decay. Meaning, if you decayed from 1789 to 1389, matchmaking still sees your rating as1789. Only purpose decay has here is just another step to keep the leaderboard with active players.

in PvP

Posted by: Sly.9518

Sly.9518

Lets say a gold or above player goes inactive for a while now they’re bronze 1 that player hasn’t suddenly become worse in the time they’ve been away. You might be thinking well no problem then they’ll be able to climb out fairly quickly right and sure assuming they dominate they will but that doesn’t take into consideration the players they’re unfairly pushing back down and players they’re unfairly pushing up in the process.

My thoughts behind all this is that the divisions function like a kind of MMR if the wiki is to be believed so maybe I’m completely wrong. hopefully we can have an interesting discussion.

Decay doesn’t affect Matchmaking in the Slightest it just affects the Leaderboard status, it is used in conjunction with the Minimum matches requires to keep an active Pvp population.

in PvP

Posted by: TopBadge.3569

TopBadge.3569

Decay doesn’t affect Matchmaking in the Slightest it just affects the Leaderboard status, it is used in conjunction with the Minimum matches requires to keep an active Pvp population.

Source?

in PvP

Posted by: NICENIKESHOE.7128

NICENIKESHOE.7128

You could ask your teammate what rank they’re in or observe what your opponent plays like after decay. There are couple of times where I got 700 decay due to life commitments, but as I return my teammates still say they’re platinum. Outside of afkers etc majority of players I face and play with still holster weap against defensive skills/smart rotate/coordinate as a platinum instead of silver/gold etc.

So I can concur that decay doesn’t really affect your match making. Only what it appears.

Also by logical deduction if decay affects MMR a player may abuse this system to get easier opponents and rank up in long run, which I suspect ANet has addressed that when designing decay.

in PvP

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

It’s a dumb idea, just like a so-called “skill rating” that doesn’t actually revolve around your skill. But hey. PvP, only good for the reward tracks and sometimes dailies.

in PvP

Posted by: Sly.9518

Sly.9518

Source?

Evan Lesh posted about it a couple months back.

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

Decay is necessary.

Not exactly. What is needed is a system which prevents people from sitting at the top of the leaderboard all season when they’re actually not playing. Decay is one way to do that.

However, the current decay system alone was terrible at that. That’s why ANet added the minimum games requirement. But even together, they’re more frustrating to general players and a minor inconvenience to the people they’re supposed to affect most.

Suggested changes:

• No decay once you hit the bottom of platinum. Decay is supposed to affect leaderboard only.
  • Min games requirement lowered. Starting halfway through the season, or even in the last few weeks should be acceptable.
  • The three-day system is removed in place of a decay bank system. Each game you play adds a game to the bank, up to a max (let’s say 14). Each day, your bank decays by some number of games (let’s say 2 so that it takes a week to drain it). If you have no games banked, you lose rating.
Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in PvP

Posted by: BurrTheKing.8571

BurrTheKing.8571

Decay is also annoying because it’s like the game expects me to dedicate a lot of time to it, but one of the defining principals is that you can come and go as you please.

Maybe once PoF comes out I’ll want to dedicate myself to the PvE side of the game. To avoid decay however I’ll still have to come back to maintain my rank. I especially want to avoid the chaos that all the new elite specs will introduce and would rather wait for things to settle. The min number of matches to show up on the leaderboard seems like enough, why have 2 things to avoid the old problems (like when I reached #3-4 with hardly any games played)?

Just an angry old man…

Old Man Burr (War), Bad Hat Ben (Engi), Manly Manny Manson (Guard)

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

They probably need to add as a description in game that decay doesn’t change the kind of players you are matched with and just affects leaderboard position so people stop making these threads.

in PvP

Posted by: Abazigal.3679

Abazigal.3679

Decay is necessary.

Decay is necessary.

Or alternatively, if the 10 placement matchs didn’t have such a big impact, decay would not be needed. I personnaly do not mind decay, it is a good idea. However, the volatility due to placement games is an issue..

in PvP

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Source?

Here is your source:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Decay-ridiculous/first#post6459036

So yeah what is stated in the OP cannot happen. A gold player that drops to bronze due to inactivity will face gold players. There is a reason on the PVP tab you can see your -actual- rating and your decay rating.

in PvP

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

They probably need to add as a description in game that decay doesn’t change the kind of players you are matched with and just affects leaderboard position so people stop making these threads.

If you open the PVP panel you see 3 numbers:
Skill Rating: your current leaderboard rating including decay
Decay: the amount of decay you have
Effective rating: your rating without decay, this one is used for matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

Decay is necessary.

Decay is necessary.

Decay was necessary when leagues just got introduced. But now it’s not necessary at all. You can no longer just play 10 matches and stay in the top 250 for the entire season, you need to play 15 matches a week in order to stay on the board.

So no, decay is not necessary.