Is it possible to get past ruby in soloq?

in PvP

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

The answer to the question is no, you can’t pas ruby with solo queue, I’ve tried, got to 8 pips, after that I had to team up, I made it to 15 pips, after that I lost I won, now I’m at 12 pips again…. There are out hungry guilds who will eat you up while soloing… and there is a meta team already… I don’t want to say it, because everybody will run that, it is so effective… and yes, this is sad, solo queue should be for solo people only! This is messed up!

and since you tried and failed its not possible?

in PvP

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

The answer to the question is no, you can’t pas ruby with solo queue, I’ve tried, got to 8 pips, after that I had to team up, I made it to 15 pips, after that I lost I won, now I’m at 12 pips again…. There are out hungry guilds who will eat you up while soloing… and there is a meta team already… I don’t want to say it, because everybody will run that, it is so effective… and yes, this is sad, solo queue should be for solo people only! This is messed up!

It is DEFINETLY possible. Ive done it. It just takes you taking charge of the flow of the match.

Ghost Yak

in PvP

Posted by: Hubris.7436

Hubris.7436

Yeah I pretty much did all of ruby in soloq. I did q dodge a couple premades so I wouldn’t get farmed for pips. In soloq I often find its easier to carry with a zerk build than a support / bunker build

in PvP

Posted by: Kenmei.7138

Kenmei.7138

Just got a match with a 4 man premade on my team. 2 of em lost to DH 2v1 on far.

GG Anet. Im out

in PvP

Posted by: Phantaram.4816

Phantaram.4816

Definitely possible. I solo queued 8 pips into ruby all the way to diamond and only lost 2 pips the whole way their in one single loss. The other losses I had either I didn’t lose a pip or I even gained a pip.

in PvP

Posted by: Aeryn.9813

Aeryn.9813

Definitely possible. I solo queued 8 pips into ruby all the way to diamond and only lost 2 pips the whole way their in one single loss. The other losses I had either I didn’t lose a pip or I even gained a pip.

I know you’re good but one thing you can’t ignore is that your presence in the pug team exudes a halo effect. The teammates have already predicted the outcome of a win as soon as they see you on their side. With no doubt or hesitation, they will end up playing their best.

Fantaram – ele
I Hate Dumb Teams – nec

in PvP

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Doesn’t feel like it even on emerald. I was unlucky enough to get bumped from four pips in T5 emerald three times now. My last team had a warrior and the opposing team had teamspeak (they were in the previous two games)

After emerald I just won’t care anymore and will just queue without regard to planning pip wins such as, “According to trends I will lose the next match if I soloq, and soloq has the risk of warriors, thieves, and MMR tankers with it anyway.” and, “I’m getting too familiar for this time bracket for now. They now have the sense to focus my ele/druid/whatever so I’ll log on later.”

(edited by Agemnon.4608)

in PvP

Posted by: Israel.7056

Israel.7056

Yeah it’s possible but I’m still working through it. It’s been hard on me psychologically though. The amount of rage I experienced during my last play session has made me want to take a week off from the game.

in PvP

Posted by: abc.5790

abc.5790

I know you’re good but one thing you can’t ignore is that your presence in the pug team exudes a halo effect. The teammates have already predicted the outcome of a win as soon as they see you on their side. With no doubt or hesitation, they will end up playing their best.

Was Phantaram’s halo effective on you?

[Star] In My Prono
EU Scrub

in PvP

Posted by: Random Weird Guy.3528

Random Weird Guy.3528

I have a different theory:

Players on the enemy team see Phantaram and view him as one of the best duellers in the PvP scene. They therefore develop an urge to try to beat him 1v1 (especially if he is streaming) so that they can brag that they beat him if they manage it. This results in poorer than usual rotations from the enemy team as they all strive to beat him in 1v1 regardless of how it affects the rest of the map and can be referred to as the ‘Phantaram Effect’.

As an aside I just did around 2 hours of trioq and won most of my games, so soloq’ing clearly has a negative impact on average match outcome.

Random Engineering // Trixxti // Random Noises (worst thief eu)
Svanir Appreciation Society [SAS]

in PvP

Posted by: LordOtto.2650

LordOtto.2650

You can pas ruby with mesmer and druid easy, if it’s your main, they are 15-20% overpowered. We will see in season 2 the next patches. And Halleluia Revenant got a nerf, it was about time, hope this 2 will 2.

in PvP

Posted by: Aeryn.9813

Aeryn.9813

I have a different theory:

Players on the enemy team see Phantaram and view him as one of the best duellers in the PvP scene. They therefore develop an urge to try to beat him 1v1 (especially if he is streaming) so that they can brag that they beat him if they manage it. This results in poorer than usual rotations from the enemy team as they all strive to beat him in 1v1 regardless of how it affects the rest of the map and can be referred to as the ‘Phantaram Effect’.

As an aside I just did around 2 hours of trioq and won most of my games, so soloq’ing clearly has a negative impact on average match outcome.

SoloQ is ok if you have nothing to lose and if it’s a weeknight.

Phantaram was in my pug team frequently when I played more often during summer break. That was before they won WTS Germany and around the height of d/d ele greatness. You’re right, opponents were after him but he got super protection from the fanbois in my team.

Sometimes when the matches got boring, I’d toss my body at the bad guys just so he could rescue me.

Fantaram – ele
I Hate Dumb Teams – nec

in PvP

Posted by: Stilgar.6437

Stilgar.6437

i just got to diamond with soloQ mostly (some duo or trio here and there overall but ruby was almost all soloQ). Lost pips and even tiers a few times, but it was consistently upwards trend and didnt take too many matches. Didnt count matches but i took a break from pvp during the height of chrono meta so couldnt have been too many.
Got a bit lucky maybe in the last tier with a win streak. I felt matches where for the most part very fun and even, i think the MMR/leagues system settled in very nicely. Getting here was a lot of fun (for the matches played before the mass influx of chrono kitten and after the nerf). SUre it can use the some tweaks, but overal i find leagues are a excellent addition to the game.

Got a lot of wins vs premades so i still dont get the constant complaints about solo vs. team. Never felt it was a issue really, the premades that stomped me would have stomped me soloQ-ing too. The other pugs on my team for the most part understood rotations/teamwork/etc and matches had teamwork/strategy similar to when playing with a team. Sure TS and team comp is a bonus but skill outweighs this by far.

I dont think i will be able to reach legendary soloQing though, queues are a bit longer, going up vs pro teams etc. but i will try, should be better with more players reaching it. diamond is about the level i judge my skills at anyway so im ok with getting stuck here

P.S. thanks to all fellow pugers who helped me get here, good games

in PvP

Posted by: Random Weird Guy.3528

Random Weird Guy.3528

Got a lot of wins vs premades so i still dont get the constant complaints about solo vs. team.

I don’t have any issue at all, I’m purely talking raw statistics that queuing solo results in a far lower win ratio than queuing as a 2-5 (even duoq seems to be better). Apparently other players have been experiencing the same thing.

Also I didn’t notice this being anywhere near as much of an issue before the league system, so I imagine the new form of matchmaking has something to do with it.

Random Engineering // Trixxti // Random Noises (worst thief eu)
Svanir Appreciation Society [SAS]

(edited by Random Weird Guy.3528)

in PvP

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

Got a lot of wins vs premades so i still dont get the constant complaints about solo vs. team.

Once you get matched against top teams every other game, who are 5 man and you have 5 random pugs, we can talk about it.

in PvP

Posted by: Myst.9182

Myst.9182

PvP is purely 5v5 teams now, it is incredibly painful solo queing. Anyone who is solo queing and thinks the system is fine is either incredibly lucky, or just is so uncompetitive they really dont mind losing.

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

So I was nearing the end of the ruby division 2 days ago, but since then I seem to have been constantly teamed up with players who die within 2 seconds of a fight and now I’m back to tier 2. I don’t think I’m going to set foot in soloq again any time soon…

yes it is possible

I run 70% solo que and 30% duo/trio que and i was able to make it to diamond without grinding a ton of games.

Actually i played this league system the most the first 2 weeks and and slowed down alot mostly doing 3-4 matches since because like many of the people here i was getting frustrated.

I simply cared less about the divisions and slowly but surely i got to diamond. You got a whole month still left and i suggest not grinding daily matches trying to do it in 1-3 days. Take your time and try to have fun.

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: Kevin.4209

Kevin.4209

i just got to diamond with soloQ mostly (some duo or trio here and there overall but ruby was almost all soloQ). Lost pips and even tiers a few times, but it was consistently upwards trend and didnt take too many matches. Didnt count matches but i took a break from pvp during the height of chrono meta so couldnt have been too many.
Got a bit lucky maybe in the last tier with a win streak. I felt matches where for the most part very fun and even, i think the MMR/leagues system settled in very nicely. Getting here was a lot of fun (for the matches played before the mass influx of chrono kitten and after the nerf). SUre it can use the some tweaks, but overal i find leagues are a excellent addition to the game.

Got a lot of wins vs premades so i still dont get the constant complaints about solo vs. team. Never felt it was a issue really, the premades that stomped me would have stomped me soloQ-ing too. The other pugs on my team for the most part understood rotations/teamwork/etc and matches had teamwork/strategy similar to when playing with a team. Sure TS and team comp is a bonus but skill outweighs this by far.

I dont think i will be able to reach legendary soloQing though, queues are a bit longer, going up vs pro teams etc. but i will try, should be better with more players reaching it. diamond is about the level i judge my skills at anyway so im ok with getting stuck here

P.S. thanks to all fellow pugers who helped me get here, good games

I’ve had the same experience, I find my pug teams beat pre mades like 75% of the time. I imagine its harder when you are facing apex, pz, etc which hasn’t happened to me yet, but my pugs have even beat radioactive a couple times. While they might have ts and a better comp, the m individual player skill in the pug is generally a lot higher because of the way the system is designed.

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

Well, maybe its possible if Anet stops matching you against 3+2/4 premades when your team is full pugs and you lose a pip for not winning. Oh, and nothing about preamdes being worse than pugs in individual skill, equal fights are tight but they have better rotations

M I L K B O I S

in PvP

Posted by: PowerBottom.5796

PowerBottom.5796

I’ve gotten into diamond today with ~99% solo-Q, no MMR-tanking and everything above board with a D/D-tempest build. The few games I didn’t solo-Q, I queued with ppl of equal skill, MMR and Division.

It was a huge grind though, cuz even though I mostly stay above 80% wins, there are sometimes really weird time-windows where I get bad teams and subsequently maybe start playing worse myself and get into loosing-streaks.

It probably took me as much time to get into ruby as to get from ruby to diamond and I was close to deinstalling the game several times. :P

in PvP

Posted by: Galandil.9641

Galandil.9641

This part:

It was a huge grind though

clashes with this:

cuz even though I mostly stay above 80% wins

I wonder what you consider “a grind”: 100 games? 200? Do you really have an 80%+ w/l ratio?

in PvP

PowerBottom.5796

This part:

It was a huge grind though

clashes with this:

cuz even though I mostly stay above 80% wins

I wonder what you consider “a grind”: 100 games? 200? Do you really have an 80%+ w/l ratio?

If you’ve read my post correctly, it said that I stay mostly above 80%, but sometimes I have loss-streaks (where I loose like 5+ in a row). Overall I’d say I’m somewhere along the lines of 65% wins. This happened mostly during the morning, where I noticed I’m getting lots of weird teams. I’m not gonna say all the losses where my teammates fault, but some of them were just utterly useless.

Also, because it’s possible to loose more pips than you gain and because at least before ruby, the order of your wins is really important, you can easily have a rather high win-ratio and just be unlucky.

“A grind” also didn’t only comment on the number of games, but how I felt playing: It wasn’t fun at all and I just wanted to get diamond.

(edited by PowerBottom.5796)

in PvP

Posted by: Chip Skylark.2367

Chip Skylark.2367

Phantaram said on stream last night that solo queueing was actually easier than premades O.o

in PvP

Posted by: suffish.4150

suffish.4150

From what I’ve seen so far, yes it is definitely possible to get past ruby in solo queue. I got to 16 pips from nothing today (I ranked up yesterday) by playing celestial auramancer tempest and to my amazement I must have won at least 80-90% of my games, many weren’t even close. I find it much easier to win on ele than I did on dragon-hunter which is what I played before. Not sure if I can maintain such an incredible win rate for the rest of the league but this has proved it is most definitely possible.

PvP- Stronlo Beastmaster (Ranger)
PvE- Grolex (Warrior)
PvP rank: 20 Rating: 1864 (season 7)

in PvP

Posted by: Exxcalibur.6203

Exxcalibur.6203

The rage in RUBY is crazy in soloq. Tbh, I love it.

If the game looks dicey and someone snaps, its worth the price of admission to prod the sick beast and watch him explode in team chat.

It doesn’t take much to get the internet bully to focus on you.

Once you have their attention, the subsequent ‘go back to pve!’ or ‘get back into unranked noob’ and just straight up ‘kitten you suck!’ , or them whispering abuse before they block you is the height hilarity.

“Skritt, I’m hit!"

in PvP

Posted by: MyPuppy.8970

MyPuppy.8970

I noticed it helps when people play as a team.

Lily Bertine [NG]/[GiRL]
Nerfentalist of Augury Rock

in PvP

PowerBottom.5796

Phantaram said on stream last night that solo queueing was actually easier than premades O.o

If you run with a team, there are certain disadvantages:

- longer q-times
- stronger opponents
- higher loss in pips if you loose

So yes, if you run with a team of equally skilled players in a similar division and with similar MMR, I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily much easier.

The problem is ppl Q’ing with a low-division and low-MMR player that tanks their overall MMR so much, that having 1 noob on an easy to play build that can follow directions is worth the lower Q-times, worse opponents and higher pip-gain.

in PvP

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

It is DEFINETLY possible. Ive done it. It just takes you taking charge of the flow of the match.

Uh, baloney. Taking charge is dependent on others actually doing what is necessary for the map.

Doesn’t happen in tourney often if at all.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in PvP

Posted by: InstantNoodle.8506

InstantNoodle.8506

I always think that… everyone all complaining about all others fault. Sooo Here is the thing… WHO is the real troll here??

in PvP

Posted by: MAN.9046

MAN.9046

Leet0 is more than half way thru diamond purely solo q’ing, he did it all on strum

RIP
FeelsBadMan

in PvP

Posted by: Shala.8352

Shala.8352

it is not possible if you are a warrior player.
This happens cuz most of the teammate will be more busy to insult you during the match instead focusing on their gameplay. Mostly of them will even stop playing after you die first time, even if they already died twice, even if the only stomps of the match came from you.

in PvP

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

It is possible.

All you have to do is what all the other dishonorable worthless cheaters are doing:

• Abuse the broken builds and the flawed matching system to gain an unfair advantage.

Since cheating isn’t being punished, you have a choice there: Keep your integrity or win.

I’d rather keep my integrity.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in PvP

Posted by: Brazzi.2045

Brazzi.2045

It’s possible, got diamond with 59% win rate 100% solo, met tones of premades, abusers(2 legends 1 low rank in a same group ). Funny thing is few weeks ago when ever you saw 5 man premade and you’re in with 4 other pugs ppl were motivated to win those games cuz they would get 3 pips for it , nowadays there is no point pushing yourself since one of those 5 is definitely going to be really low rank and if your team wins that match you will get only 1 pip.

(edited by Brazzi.2045)

in PvP

Posted by: Gallant Pigeon.5807

Gallant Pigeon.5807

Its possible. Witness the pain of solo queue thief:

http://i.imgur.com/pIMiklk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ugknIWm.jpg

The amount of QQ is insane. Every team failure is placed on the thief, yet I cringe as I see people feeding mid and dying on bunker builds before me.

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: Aereniel.7356

Aereniel.7356

It’s possible but incredibly frustrating. I’m Ruby tier 5 at the moment having played 100% solo up to this point. I spent two days in Ruby tier 1 just going up and down (win one, lose two, win two, lose one etc.) and I have now hit a similar patch in tier 4-5, where I can’t seem to make real progress.

I’ll do this season’s climb solo but I don’t think I will be doing it again in future seasons. Not worth the aggravation at all, not even close.

Just to up update my post above, I finally made it to legend rank today. 100% solo queue, 100% conquest.

Some stats:

• 487 matches
  • 59% win rate
  • 125 hours over 31 days
  • 75 litres of green tea consumed (mostly Longjing, Biluochun and Sencha)

Season 1 is/was just an exercise in perseverance, and anybody who spams enough games will get to legend eventually. I consider myself an average player, and judging by the people I get matched up with I would guess my MMR to be on the low side of average. The fact that I’m now legend really exemplifies what a failure season 1 has been. Let’s hope the match making and ranking changes Anet has proposed for season 2 really shake things up, because I don’t see the point in ever participating in a season 1-type of ladder ever again.

Attachments:

Been here since launch
Legend S1-S3 with 100% solo queue 100% conquest
Filthy casual, 6k sPvP games