Is it safe to return to sPvP in GW2 yet?

in PvP

Posted by: Fubar.4389

Fubar.4389

Hi All,

I just wondered whether it’s worth coming back to GW2 yet? I left because there was no content/decent ranking/any love! I figure it’ll be a great game when they finally stop playing with their kittens.

Could someone give me a brief run down of where sPvP and tPvP is at? Is it worth coming back yet or better to leave six months?

Marmite – Engineer – Desolation – EU

in PvP

Posted by: Motoko.2875

Motoko.2875

Remember how it was when you left?

Imagine that but some skill balancing and an even more dead player base.

6 months is very optimistic lol.

IGN: Motoko, Motoko Kai, Gladiator Motoko – Zero Quality [zQ], [LaG], [USA]

in PvP

Posted by: Zanthrax.6538

Zanthrax.6538

honestly? no….but getting there. Another 6 months minimum

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

no

in PvP

Posted by: shimzor.6057

shimzor.6057

no!

in PvP

Posted by: Sprawl.3891

Sprawl.3891

nope classes still have 1-2 viable specs only, leaderboard top 100 is a bunch of non-actives, solo queuers still get matched vs premades and stuck in 4v5 since there is still no deserter penalties.

Sprawl – Necro – Eredon Terrace

in PvP

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

queues are popping fast, matches are usually balanced compared to the state before rating (if you dont join solo), i dont see many problems ofc its not perfect, but its definitely getting better and better

btw why dont you try it yourself? no reason why you should ask forum when you dont need to pay anything, only start the game and maybe download and reinstall, if you are smart enough to delete it when you stop playing in the age of TB hdds

in PvP

Posted by: ahuba.6430

ahuba.6430

Hi All,

I just wondered whether it’s worth coming back to GW2 yet? I left because there was no content/decent ranking/any love! I figure it’ll be a great game when they finally stop playing with their kittens, else, no, not really.
Good part is that it will only get better here on

Could someone give me a brief run down of where sPvP and tPvP is at? Is it worth coming back yet or better to leave six months?

if you have a team that you think could hold its own agaisnt tp/mim/tcg and the likes, i guess its worth to come back and have a shot at the tournaments

in PvP

Posted by: JohnnyZero.5619

JohnnyZero.5619

There is fun to be had in sPvP.

I Lynna I – Thief / Clownshooz – Engineer
Turbo Seksophonic – Ele / Guitar Wolfe – Mesmer
Isle of Janthir

in PvP

Motoko.2875

The most fun I have in sPvP is pressing the little “x” at the top right since I know it means I’ll actually be loading up a fun game.

in PvP

Posted by: hauskamies.9683

hauskamies.9683

The most fun I have in sPvP is pressing the little “x” at the top right since I know it means I’ll actually be loading up a fun game.

That fun game must be called “whining in the forums” because that’s exactly where you seem to spend all your time

in PvP

Motoko.2875

That fun game must be called “whining in the forums” because that’s exactly where you seem to spend all your time

I’m not sure what language you read the game title in, but in my language we call that “Guild Wars 2”.

in PvP

Posted by: hauskamies.9683

hauskamies.9683

I’m not sure what language you read the game title in, but in my language we call that “Guild Wars 2”.

You call the forums Guild Wars 2? No wonder you have so much confusion going on.

in PvP

Motoko.2875

You call the forums Guild Wars 2? No wonder you have so much confusion going on.

Yes, these are the Guild Wars 2 forums. That is what ANET and everyone else refers to them as.

in PvP

Posted by: Zodian.6597

Zodian.6597

The casual infrastructure still needs a lot of work, if you’re going to play solo or with at least 3 other people I’d say your safe to come back. Custom games make hotjoining a lot less zergy (filter to 5v5 only), and the new rated games are good if you have a team to play with (solo queue = queue into premades and loose).

It rely comes down to who you hope to play with, if you have RL friends like me and just want to get drunk and queue together all night for funzies, then i’d suggest checking out Neverwinter (lvl10-19 pvp bracket, after that = pay to win with mounts). If you’ve got a few mins and wanna solo queue or if you’ve got 5 friends and wanna climb the ladder then this is a fine time to return.

Neglekt

(edited by Zodian.6597)

in PvP

Posted by: bomber.1540

bomber.1540

Some hotjoin games are funner than tpvp if u snag a good server .. Was in a random match last night and everyone was r30-55, highly competitive close games, wad a blast

Then I played tpvp and was stuck with r1-10s and ppl were leaving causing 4v5

It’s getting there, but tpvp needs alot of work on the entry requirements, leaver penalties, matchmaking etc

in PvP

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

LOLLL

in PvP

Posted by: Lumpy.8760

Lumpy.8760

yes
just make sure you make your own builds
that’s part of the fun of guild wars

in PvP

Posted by: XII.9401

XII.9401

What skill balancing? Mesmers are still OP since launch, guardians are as bunky as ever and warriors are broken.

in PvP

Motoko.2875

What skill balancing? Mesmers are still OP since launch, guardians are as bunky as ever and warriors are broken.

I had to find something to put in that sentence. lol.

in PvP

Posted by: Sieg.8439

Sieg.8439

I have fun with it. Whether other people do or not, I don’t really care. Seems to still be pretty hit or miss.

Best thing to do would just be to come back and try it yourself. We have two new maps for sPVP, if that’s anything to bring you in.

Hoopa doopa.

in PvP

Posted by: ryston.7640

ryston.7640

I think that gw2 PvP is officially in beta now, the community size and stage of development all seem appropriate for that comparison

in PvP

Posted by: Nialiss.6459

Nialiss.6459

Definitely not. Class and skill “balance” is still a horrific mess and it has been given next to no attention. TPvP is broken with the 3v5 and 4v5 matches right from the start and, again, no attention is being given. Hotjoin sPvP is meta spam-to-win builds and giant zurgfests which only seem to get worse on a daily basis. Lately I’ve noticed a lot of stun spam and KD spam zurgs in hotjoin.

On a personal note; My interest in this game is falling faster then shares of J. C. Penny.

in PvP

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

I would most definitely not come back for the pvp. I’m less annoyed by the insane amounts of CC in WoW and really that should tell you something. Pvp in MMOs is at an all time low it seems, been playing BO2 tournaments and LoL to pass the time in competitive scene. I should start up SC2 again…

D2 ladder reset has been more enjoyable than GW2 pvp. Someone come own pubs with me.. xD

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

To OP, your name sums up the state of the pvp quite well.

(for anyone who doesn’t yet know….fubar=fraked up beyond all repair/recovery)

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

in PvP

Fubar.4389

This thread delivered.

Honourable mentions to Motoko.2875, Zodian.6597, bomber.1540, ryston.7640 and Mathias.9657.

I’d gone back to WoW and it’s not as bad as everyone says, in some ways it’s lovely because it’s polished but the dailies are like a big black kitten to the face! The grind is teribad. I do love being a pokemon master though.

I’m just waiting for GW2 to pull itself together. Someone (Mathias.9657) said the state of PvP in MMOs is at an all time low and I sadly find myself nodding with big watery eyes.

If anyone fancies RAF and booking a weekend off to lvl something more bearable in the game that probably shouldn’t be named then let me know… I wouldn’t mind starting fresh. I will check in with you guys again in a few months and hope to receive as fine and humorous response as I have here.

in PvP

Posted by: PowerBottom.5796

PowerBottom.5796

Hell yes!

The Game is actually pretty good atm. a lot of Players are coming back and the balance is at a very good Place.

Don’t listen to all the cynical Nay-Sayers….

in PvP

Fubar.4389

Hell yes!

The Game is actually pretty good atm. a lot of Players are coming back and the balance is at a very good Place.

Couldn’t help but go check out PowerBottom.5796’s soundcloud music (link in his signature) … this kitten is crazy! Give it a try… mad stuff to be working to (yeh I’m at work) while pumped up on caffeine.

in PvP

Posted by: PowerBottom.5796

PowerBottom.5796

Hell yes!

Couldn’t help but go check out PowerBottom.5796’s soundcloud music (link in his signature) … this kitten is crazy! Give it a try… mad stuff to be working to (yeh I’m at work) while pumped up on caffeine.

Haha, thx, that makes me very happy! ^^’

in PvP

Fubar.4389

Haha, thx, that makes me very happy! ^^’

NP bro I’m still listening to it. You should get urself on Spotify.

in PvP

Posted by: GankSinatra.2653

GankSinatra.2653

Dota 2 now has an actual solo queue. What are you guys still doing here?

in PvP

Posted by: Kugkug.8795

Kugkug.8795

GW2 pvp shows an amazingly large disconnect between the designers’ perception and what casual pvp’ers want

The UI is dreadful with the lack of support for addons and action bar swapping requirements. Also provides very little information. Might be OK for a player who has never played another MMO before but it doesn’t give a good impression to players with experience in other MMO’s, LoL, etc.

Its like the UI is designed around making it as hard as possible to use ALL of your abilities and figure out what is going on. Seems to be resulting from an exceptionally stubborn design philosophy on this one. One that doesn’t have “increasing pvp participation” as the number one goal.

Only one mode for the easy q spvp. Gets old rather quickly and lacks a compelling reason to keep doing it. Lacks that “hook” that gets you addicted to it forever.

I hope it gets better. Regret buying this game honestly.

edit: also not a big fan of “downed state”. Why is this a good thing in pvp? should just remove it from instanced pvp.

(edited by Kugkug.8795)

in PvP

Posted by: Punkins.2087

Punkins.2087

Your options:

a) Great Combat. (this game)

b) Great Grind. (other games)

Pick whichever is important to you, and enjoy.

in PvP

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

I’d gone back to WoW and it’s not as bad as everyone says,

I loled.

in PvP

Posted by: Punkins.2087

Punkins.2087

GW2 pvp shows an amazingly large disconnect between the designers’ perception and what casual pvp’ers want

The UI is dreadful with the lack of support for addons and action bar swapping requirements. Also provides very little information. Might be OK for a player who has never played another MMO before but it doesn’t give a good impression to players with experience in other MMO’s, LoL, etc.

Its like the UI is designed around making it as hard as possible to use ALL of your abilities and figure out what is going on. Seems to be resulting from an exceptionally stubborn design philosophy on this one. One that doesn’t have “increasing pvp participation” as the number one goal.

Only one mode for the easy q spvp. Gets old rather quickly and lacks a compelling reason to keep doing it. Lacks that “hook” that gets you addicted to it forever.

if you are looking at your UI while pvping, youre doing it wrong.

in PvP

Posted by: Juan Ignacio.8903

Juan Ignacio.8903

since when watching ur cd’s other ppl healthbars minimap is wrong ;o

in PvP

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

since when watching ur cd’s other ppl healthbars minimap is wrong ;o

I think it’s when this game became an action game.

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

what kind of action game has complex attacks that are poorly telegraphed

in PvP

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

No still no Gvg HoH , gg(

[WM]give us in game ladder

in PvP

Posted by: Raijinn.9065

Raijinn.9065

what kind of action game has complex attacks that are poorly telegraphed

Almost said guild wars 2, but it’s far from complex

(edited by Raijinn.9065)

in PvP

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

GW2 pvp shows an amazingly large disconnect between the designers’ perception and what casual pvp’ers want.
[…]
spvp. Gets old rather quickly and lacks a compelling reason to keep doing it. Lacks that “hook” that gets you addicted to it forever.

This could not be more true. I came to his conclusion before I een came to these forums and it’s obvious that the designers care way more about their ideas (and egos) than they do about what players think.

By any measure, sPVP has been a spectacular failure – not because of a lack of competitive features (that only affect a small % of an already tiny group) – it’s because the PVP aspect of the game is not designed very well.

downed state is bad for PVP