Is the PvP comunity that bad?

in PvP

Posted by: mPascoal.4258

mPascoal.4258

Hey guys
I play a DPS Guard in sPvP, and while I’m fairly new, the sPvP comunity isn’t helping me to stick to this side of the game. I often encounter the most awful people that I never did before in this game. My conclutions of 2 weeks of sPvP everyday (solo qs) are these:

Either I go Bunker with my Guard and people are “less” idiots since they need me
Or I’m DPS like I would like to master (I don’t like being Bunker) and I’m the most useless, the most noob that exists in this game.
Like literally, the first time I got into a solo q I said “playing DPS guys, hi” and the mesmer comes “then you are useless” like what is her/his problem with me?
I feel like I wither g Bunker and don’t enjoy playing with my main class or I better make a new character like and Engi, or Phantasm Mesmer or Minion Master Necro because otherwise I’m a worthless piece of nothing ….

What is wrong with you people? Are you that big of a comunity that don’t need any more members so lets insult any new player that comes? Seriously.

Attachments:

Phask - Guardian/DH | Phaskk - Warrior | Phaask - Revenant

in PvP

Posted by: ahuba.6430

ahuba.6430

it’s like that in any game that has a game mode that pairs you with strangers. when you don’t know the others playing with you it’s always easy to act all witty and put all blame in others. it’s typical solo queue attitude. welcome to the pvp side of online games

in PvP

Posted by: Rallad.3802

Rallad.3802

You’ll probably be ok after a couple of more matches, the matchmaking will sort you out with a ‘beginner rating’, since the starting rating is apparently a bit high. On the other side, while dps guards are not very common, they are certainly not useless- I also believe the #1 na solo spot was occupied by a dps guard for some time.

in PvP

Posted by: Monkeymonger.9235

Monkeymonger.9235

You can turn off team chat in solo queue.

Then again, why not just tell them how you feel? It usually helps yourself and facilitates team communication.
A:“Hi, i’m a dps guard”
B:“you are useless”
A:“Eat a kitten you kittened kitten”
C:“Who close?”

in PvP

mPascoal.4258

it’s like that in any game that has a game mode that pairs you with strangers. when you don’t know the others playing with you it’s always easy to act all witty and put all blame in others. it’s typical solo queue attitude. welcome to the pvp side of online games

That’s true but in GW2 is nothing like this anywhere else. What also kittenes my off is that Engi’s and Mesmer tend to act like really good pro’s, just because are usng a class that aparently has some build where you can do good smashing the key board. This ones are really what i hate the most because if we lose they never have the fault because again, they are using the Engi or the Mesmer, or the Necro ….

Thanks guys for the feedback, was just getting this clear. I will problably slow down in PvP when patches start coming anyway but till then it has been my main source of finishing daylies and getting laurels, I even forget to go do CoF (dgn I farm “everyday”) because I lose too much time in here. It’s a good part of the game that I sure want to became better than I am (rank 23 right now). Maybe new pvp mode would be nice to, just too see if DPS Guard is more viable there or not.

Btw another thing. People allways complain to me because I’m not a bunker, but while I am not one because I don’t like it why can’t they be one too? There are other classes beside Guard that can be bunkers and hold points just as well or better

in PvP

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

Ain’t not like you are occupying the spot of another bunker. If someone wants a bunker guardian, he can still take it. Considering the same class should fulfill multiple roles, having both a dps and bunker guardian isn’t going to hurt.

I never complained with anyone because he didn’t bring a bunker guardian, for I didn’t want to use one myself. So I am no one to judge.

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

in PvP

mPascoal.4258

Ain’t not like you are occupying the spot of another bunker. If someone wants a bunker guardian, he can still take it. Considering the same class should fulfill multiple roles, having both a dps and bunker guardian isn’t going to hurt.

I never complained with anyone because he didn’t bring a bunker guardian, for I didn’t want to use one myself. So I am no one to judge.

Well looks lie there are still people who get it
Uff really appreciated this guys, quite a refreshing. I’m even thinking of getting more into PvP than WvW (it what as been appening), even that I lose most of the solo q matches if I quit now I will not go any further. I’ll also try Thief ..

Good Luck in the battlefield

in PvP

Posted by: Perkysaurus.2630

Perkysaurus.2630

I can say I have blocked more people in spvp than I have gold sellers, so yes I would say some people are pretty terrible examples of maturity(if not humanity)

in PvP

Posted by: ahuba.6430

ahuba.6430

That mesmer probably couldn’t even tell you why dps guardians aren’t the best for conquest. he just heard some “pro” player say it and then he just repeats that like a parrot. he doesn’t know why, but if the pros say it, it must be true.

in PvP

Posted by: dreztina.4820

dreztina.4820

It’s pvp without any way to report. The community isn’t any different than any other pvp community, the developers just haven’t bothered putting in any of the behavioral features every other game in existence has.

Out of Attunement – D/D Ele
Maguuma

in PvP

Posted by: Zanthrax.6538

Zanthrax.6538

These people exist everywhere….lets look at reality, most people that act ( not all but a large number ) like that wouldn’t say the same kitten to your face. Its the whole internet syndrome of being anonymous.

You really just gotta accept it and ignore them, I’ve seen plenty of dps guardians that do really well in solo q. I also think the EU community is far far far better than the NA community =(

in PvP

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

Welcome to the internet and more specifically welcome to PvP games.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Sounds like you got some bad apples. The PvP community is relatively good (imo much more friendly/competent than the wvw community, for example).

You can certainly go far with dps guardian in solo queues. In team queues it’s a little harder, but I think there are only like a half-dozen builds total being used extensively in team queues right now (could be wrong, haven’t team queued much recently).

You probably don’t need to tell your team that you’re a dps guard at the start. They probably won’t alter their gameplay based on that knowledge. There isn’t much time to discuss strategy, so I usually focus on trying to exchange greetings to get people communicating a bit, then working out our team’s opening (i.e. who’s taking close and are the rest going to mid).

in PvP

Posted by: Biomanz.9302

Biomanz.9302

Is tpvp that much worse than hotjoin? I like to play however I feel like on my ele and avoid the boring ‘full bunker’ or dps so I stick with hotjoins, but I’ve only seen 1 or 2 people who were annoying there.

I imagine tournaments will have competitive players who want to win so expect some trashtalk if you’re new. Also, sometimes ppl are just being sarcastic and difficult to read in chat so don’t take everything too seriously. Really, I’d say assume each person’s being sarcastic, and if they say something bad a 2nd time then you can er on them being block-worthy. The one who said “then you are useless” is one example. I’ve seen some in hotjoins who initially sounded like tools like that but turns out they’re just diking around and having fun from subsequent lighthearted chats. Hence my personal 2-3 strike rule.

Taera Locke – staff ele
Red circles heal you. Just relax.

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

“The didn’t lose because of me, I’m awesome. It lost because of <scapegoat>”.

That’s the mentality of the vocal trolls in any team PvP game. When top players do something, the trolls assume that is the only without understanding why or the alternatives. And it completely ignores the fact that a good player on a subpar build will still outperform a bad player using a “meta” build. With limited knowledge and skill and a touch of elitism, they blame anything and anyone but themselves.

This isn’t limited to PvP. In PvE you see groups demanding berserker stats, no rangers, etc. It’s just more prevalant in PvP because you can lose.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in PvP

Posted by: Valentin.2073

Valentin.2073

tpvp is infested of meta builds and if you’re playing a dps build people will call you names in soloq. thats why i spend most of my pvp time in hotjoins. more fun to play the build you really enjoy with no pressure.

PVP Ranger: Prince Valentine, PVP Warrior: Prince of Hearts I, and PVP Mesmer: Prince Valentine I

in PvP

Posted by: dylan.5409

dylan.5409

Build wars 2 a lot of your success will be determined by build. Also Hotjoin feels like getting mugged by rats errr Asura

in PvP

Posted by: TheGreatA.4192

TheGreatA.4192

In tPvP I do not come across bad sportsmanship too often. Usually after a game, win or loss, players will say “gg” and that’s it. I know pretty much everybody who plays tPvP regularly by now and never had any bad experiences.

Sometimes there have been random insults or accusations of cheating but that’s simply frustration which is understandable, the game can get on your nerves.

Hotjoin is another thing entirely, there hasn’t been a day when I haven’t been called all kinds of names, but I enjoy the banter and give it right back. Only thing I take seriously is tPvP, otherwise I just lay back and relax and have fun, sometimes at the expense of a very frustrated hotjoin player.

My advice for any hotjoin player is to go into full sarcastic troll-mode once you get abuse, you will get hilarious results, often more fun than the game itself.

Another advice I have is to never go into Solo Queue without any other mentality except that “this is going to be bad” and just have a laugh when the obvious happens (team filled with trolls, quitters or not even a full team in the first place). If you manage to win then that’s a positive!

Metsän Suojelija (guard)/Puun Halaaja (engi)/Pieni Musta Rotta (warrior)/Viher Rauha (necro)

(edited by TheGreatA.4192)

in PvP

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

It is a funny thing, but I’ve had many of the “greats” from sPVP on my ignore list for over a year because of how they act in-game. Its been so long that I can’t even remember why they are on there. Only that they ticked me off once a long time ago.

That said, the GW2 PVP community isn’t that bad. Certainly isn’t the worst I’ve seen. It is generally in the nature of PVP to attract the most insufferable punks known to man.

It is actually a really interesting phenomena to observe from beginning to end. What drives people to PVP is different for each person, but there are a lot of people who’s drives are destructive to the games themselves. These “people” want to play the game not for competition or fun, but out of a narcissistic desire for superiority, the thirst for tears from their subjects, or to cause general havoc.

It is interesting because those “people” actually require regular people to have fun with the game, since they only play so well with each other. What happens is that these guys drive everyone off, complain that there is no good PVP, then go to another game where they repeat the process.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

in PvP

Posted by: Benjamin.8237

Benjamin.8237

You will always get this because you cannot control what other people do, and in a game mode where you want to win people will trash you if you’re seeming to under perform. However I have never seen a class prejudice in my time at PvP, it’s more or less when your above rank 30 and you get two rank 3’s in your team that say “gg” at the end when you lost 500-100. I find DPS guard is an extremely effective roamer up until you get to high tier tournaments where another role would suit better.

P R I N C E | Best Renger EU
You can find me in PvP | I normally answer PMs

in PvP

Posted by: Leeto.1570

Leeto.1570

Bring the player not the class.

in PvP

Posted by: Liam McColgan.7689

Liam McColgan.7689

I agree with the OP. While i admit to my fair share of ‘raging’ i have tried to be constructive as i know i am not a top 100 pvp hero….

But the amount of top 100-200 stuck up pricks i have teamed with/against in solo makes no new comer/low rank want to strive to improve and grow this pvp community.

PHD is Stomponomics comes to mind…a pure example of an arrogant prick…..

People need to remember….it’s not anyones fault they get put with each other….if you think someone sucks, remember they didnt choose to be with people who are too stuck up to even give an ounce of advice for the next time they queue.

Things like ‘My team is full of scrubs’, ‘kittening noobs’ ’i’m carrying this whole team’ is both arrogant, unnecessary and will never win you any respect outside your own self centred circle of wannabe gw2 e-heroes.

" There is always something that someone knows that you don’t"

Mesmer – 1250+ Ranked tpvp WINS.
– 7772 games played, 5274 games won.
“Nuke or be Nuked” – Said every mesmer ever

in PvP

redslion.9675

The worst offenders are the one screaming because you got a stomp/ress wrong. Everyone makes mistakes there.

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

Been learning dps guard and haven’t received much rage.. The only frustrating thing is having to get people to look in chat that I’m not a bunker.

The only thing I’d advise to the community is to join straight away, read chat, and tell me to reroll if I have to!

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

redslion.9675

Been learning dps guard and haven’t received much rage.. The only frustrating thing is having to get people to look in chat that I’m not a bunker.

The only thing I’d advise to the community is to join straight away, read chat, and tell me to reroll if I have to!

The first thing I do is asking the guardian if he’s a bunker or dps. Not because I want a bunker, but just to know.

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Hey guys
I play a DPS Guard in sPvP, and while I’m fairly new, the sPvP comunity isn’t helping me to stick to this side of the game. I often encounter the most awful people that I never did before in this game. My conclutions of 2 weeks of sPvP everyday (solo qs) are these:

Either I go Bunker with my Guard and people are “less” idiots since they need me
Or I’m DPS like I would like to master (I don’t like being Bunker) and I’m the most useless, the most noob that exists in this game.
Like literally, the first time I got into a solo q I said “playing DPS guys, hi” and the mesmer comes “then you are useless” like what is her/his problem with me?
I feel like I wither g Bunker and don’t enjoy playing with my main class or I better make a new character like and Engi, or Phantasm Mesmer or Minion Master Necro because otherwise I’m a worthless piece of nothing ….

What is wrong with you people? Are you that big of a comunity that don’t need any more members so lets insult any new player that comes? Seriously.

The problem is just that…. the FIRST time you went into solo queue. You are being matched with a lot of people who have no idea what they are talking about. Go watch someone like a stunningstyles who plays at the highest levels with a more dps oriented build

in PvP

Posted by: P Fun Daddy.1208

P Fun Daddy.1208

I dunno about them being really bad. I’ve seen a bunch of annoying, angry players (I was one myself during exam week if my team was fighting in the center of the map while the enemy had all three points), but I’ve also seen ones that complimented me on my play and asked to join up later for more games (not that I’m very good, I think they just saw me get lucky a few times), and even ones that spent matches following me because they had fun teaming up with me.
So don’t hate on the community too badly, there are some good people out there.

in PvP

Posted by: silvershadez.8421

silvershadez.8421

GW2 PvP community, out of all the other games I’ve played yet is by far the worst for me. It’s not everyone but a huge number just likes to complain, accuse and insult all day.

in PvP

Posted by: ens.9854

ens.9854

Hotjoin is another thing entirely, there hasn’t been a day when I haven’t been called all kinds of names, but I enjoy the banter and give it right back. Only thing I take seriously is tPvP, otherwise I just lay back and relax and have fun, sometimes at the expense of a very frustrated hotjoin player.

Ty

I must say I do enjoy some trash talk, we’re playing on asphalt not in Chicago stadium, kids get way too offended by a normal occurrence.

in PvP

Posted by: Ugruk.4069

Ugruk.4069

GW2 PvP community, out of all the other games I’ve played yet is by far the worst for me. It’s not everyone but a huge number just likes to complain, accuse and insult all day.

I would love to see you play arenas in wow on Stormscale. On a related note, people dont like losing and if you are there “just trying to play” and not trying to win being with sub optimal specs, for your class, people get angry.

So git gud playing dps guard and show them wrong or play hotjoin/ with friends

in PvP

Posted by: Shinoobi.1259

Shinoobi.1259

I haven’t had a bad experience in tPvP, to be honest. I haven’t heard anyone trash talking on my team or anything. I’ve gotten compliments on my performance from both teams, and both teams often say “gg” at the end. Even on games where people refuse to fight on nodes or go afk, there’s not much complaining going around.

Just remember that games are relatively short, and so you don’t have to suffer through a terrible experience very long. It helps if you are positive from the start.

“Hi everyone. I plan on going mid to help out, but I can hold home and roam mid when I’m needed if that helps. Have fun, good luck.”

So Butter So Fly – Mesmer
Bossy B – Elementalist
Pocket Rot- Necro

in PvP

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Yes, that is bad form on the other players part OP. For one thing, no one should be personally referred to as useless. Always, and I mean always, the discussion should be about the character and build. To be honest, even the worst player is a better meat shield, than having no meat shield at all, right?

I only do Hot Join occasionally. When I do, I tend to enjoy a little bit of banter. Especially if someone is running a cheesy meta build and boasting or the opposition stacks the entire match, etc. Oh and then thieves, since… well… thieves deserve all the ribbing they get since they are the golden child of the game.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.