Is the toxicness really that new?

in PvP

Posted by: arrownin.3128

arrownin.3128

I’ve been playing pvp in mmorpgs, and other types of online multiplayer games for most of my life. To be honest, the community here being “toxic” is how it has always been since I first started doing pvp at the start of my gaming about 15 years ago. I don’t really think it harms the community in a negative way that needs to be addressed, I just view it as something that’s always been there.

You kill someone, they might get mad and type something. You get killed, you might get mad. You win/lose, same thing. What people said was never really something you took seriously in a pvp setting in the past.

I honestly haven’t noticed an influx of toxic talk in pvp, it just has stayed the same as it always has. That’s just part of what PvP always has been. Maybe some other people have a different view, but that’s just my two cents.

in PvP

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

Toxicness is occuring more because match making is bad by mixing new players with older experienced players.

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

in PvP

Posted by: Spirigo.2897

Spirigo.2897

Toxicness is occuring more because match making is bad by mixing new players with older experienced players.

This plus the fact that there is no tutorial to properly teach newcomers how Conquest works. That’s why you encounter so many people that chase after a Mesmer for 15 minutes while not caring one bit about points.

People need to be taught that PvP in GW2 translates as Player vs Point, not Player vs Player.

in PvP

Posted by: felivear.1536

felivear.1536

I believe the correct term is “toxicity”.

Your question really does make me think though…

Hmm,
More wood for their fires, loud neighbors? Flashlight reveries caught in the headlights of a truck. Eating seeds as a pastime activity.The toxicity of our city, of our city

feLIVEar: Your resident forum king.

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

It’s not new at all people like to live in a fantasy land type environment of denial. Since I started playing MMORPGs 15 years ago in any kind of pug type environment whether pve or pvp you are going to have people complaining and pointing fingers when things go wrong. Only do content with enough friends to do it or be prepared for it. And by being prepared I mean learn to just ignore it. That is all you can do. All these hang wringing posts we have been seeing lately won’t do a thing. Sometimes I hear John Lennon’s Imagine playing in my head reading them.

(edited by brannigan.9831)

in PvP

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

The real issue for newbies in GW2 PvP is the understanding of what benefits them more – points or players.

As a nooblet, you see +5 points for a player kill on scoreboard and +5 or +15 points for yourself for each kill. But, at the beginning you don’t realize that while those points were being earned and the clock was ticking and points were gained for the “team” based on who had how many capped points. Also, those tacky messages make new people wonder.. hey, I can be on rampage too.

And, zergjoins added more to the problems as the gameplay is so very different there.

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

previously it was just noobish meta builds that were stirring up the toxic atmosphere,
but this patch anet removed all of the hotjoin servers and forced noobies and casuals into tournament matches, causing alot of friction for everyone.