Jon Sharp and The Wire

Jon Sharp and The Wire

in PvP

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

I realized somethign funny reading this thread:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/sPvP-balance-a-little-philosophy-and-life

Jon talks about the problems of developement and the PvP sector and mentions the HBO TV show “The Wire” quoting a main character and also recommends people to watch it. There is a deeper reason than you might think why Jon did that because there are actually very fitting parallels between this show and Jons work at Arenanet that I want to point out here.

DISCLAIMER: If you didn’t watch the show yet don’t continue reading because it spoils not only the overall theme of the show but the especially the plot of the last season. Watch this awesome show first!

So let’s start.

The Wire is about the city of Baltimore and its massive drug dealing crime scene + authorities fighting it. It is about problems and people trying to solve them and it focusses on characters on both sides of the story. The main character is Jimmy McNulty. Jimmy tries to fight crimes but the lack of resources and burocracy holds him back. He goes that far that he and his partner Morgan Freamon fake a murder case so that the politicians of Baltimore like Mayor Carcetti are forced to direct more resources to the police.
In the end he suffers from his decision because his actions let to redirecting the much needed resources from other sectors like the schools.

Jon is in a very similiar situation. The big guys of arenanet like Mike O’Brien and Colin Johansson know little about PvP. They make decision based on people playing, statistics, money gain. Don’t get me wrong. They just want the best for the game as well like Carcetti wanted the best for Baltimore but in the end they only have a certain amount of money. PvE/WvW are literally the other sectors that would suffer like the schools if you take money away from them and Jon knows that.

The outrage that recently happened is similiar to the murder cases McNulty faked. Something like that grows fast like a snowball and I definitely think it already accomplished something with the publicity it caused. I am very curious how this will continue after all.

(edited by Dojo.1867)

Jon Sharp and The Wire

in PvP

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

You need fresh air, man.

Jon Sharp and The Wire

in PvP

Posted by: Lunar Corporation.5720

Lunar Corporation.5720

Overall, interesting observations. You must have studied film at some point!

But fiction is still fiction. If anything you identify some points that are obvious parts of almost any organization that meets ends, deadlines, and people (faces we know on livestreams, casts, etc,), who face the great conflicts of organizational culture. Overall I think we got a pretty solid team if there are some mediators willing to talk to us, the product buyers, obviously this is a threshold value for ANET from top to bottom.

Just call me Lunar

Jon Sharp and The Wire

in PvP

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Again, I said this before, but, seriously, Jon, “The Wire?” What is this 2008? I think the devs work so hard they can’t even watch TV. Go hire some people for the love of Dwyana.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Jon Sharp and The Wire

in PvP

Posted by: Lunar Corporation.5720

Lunar Corporation.5720

^lol! (15 chars)

Just call me Lunar

Jon Sharp and The Wire

in PvP

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

Again, I said this before, but, seriously, Jon, “The Wire?” What is this 2008? I think the devs work so hard they can’t even watch TV. Go hire some people for the love of Dwyana.

Do you only watch shows when they air? I find watching older shows much more relaxed because you don’t have to wait like 1 week for each new episode.

Jon Sharp and The Wire

in PvP

Posted by: Baldric.6781

Baldric.6781

Watched the wire, yes minister and yes prime minister are still better .
Also, breaking bad is better than the wire :P .

Jon Sharp and The Wire

in PvP

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Do you only watch shows when they air? I find watching older shows much more relaxed because you don’t have to wait like 1 week for each new episode.

I was joking :p

You guys in the spvp forums all need to
A) stop taking yourselves so seriously
B) learn to laugh a little

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”