Just started PvP, loving it, some thoughts...

in PvP

Posted by: Kuldebar.1897

Kuldebar.1897

The UI Menu buttons for PvP Build are inconsistent with the rest of the UI design

Embarrassingly, when I first logged into the HotM, I couldn’t find the PvP Build Menu so I could change out my Amulet, Runes and Sigils.

I was starting to rage a bit until I finally noticed two smallish “buff” sized buttons crowding over my target frame in the center top of the screen.

Now, those buttons are real helpful but the windows they bring up are rather small and partially redundant because you can still change Traits out the “normal” way. Overall, it’s a functional but clunky interface…very much duct-taped onto the game by all appearances.

Look at wonderful little ranking achievements at the end of a match…oops, never mind! They are gone, where did they go?!

Seriously, where is my time to savor my little achievements? I saw the multiple little purple boxes pop up, caught a few blurbs about Top Rank…but then they went <poof> ! And they aren’t to be found anywhere.

Also, I have no clue what the player score points at the end match leader board are supposed to be for…kills, objective claims? I’ve had low points but Top rankings notices, so I don’t know how to interpret this information. And, it’s gone forever after you get auto-ported out of the map so no time for reflection..

I love all the maps, but why no “opt-out” option for the Courtyard haters?"

I’m convinces that more players like the Courtyard Map than “hate” it, but why not allow players to pass on a map? Yes, it could make their wait for a match more lengthy, but give them the choice.

in PvP

Posted by: Esmee.1067

Esmee.1067

All points I definitely agree with or would like to see.

I’ve been asked multiple times (in pm, by friends, saw it in mapchat) how people can change their gear, traits etc in PvP, at the least it should be heavily pointed out in a tutorial. (If it isn’t yet, but from my boyfriends account I recall being forced to learn how to cap, rez and finish only.) I can’t recall how I experienced it the very first time, but I more or less had real life friends guide me through my first week of the game, so I likely couldn’t relate anyway.

On the scoreboard you get points for everything; Killing an opponent on or off point, Capping/Defending/Assaulting/Neutralizing Capture Points and reviving teammates. Per map there’re a few extra’s like hitting enemy players with the Trebuchet, destroying/repairing the Trebuchet. Forest creatures killed, guild lords killed, Skyhammer hits, Ascended Spirits and succesfully channeling medications. These are a lot of different points to score the highest on, hence even if you score the highest in some category, you aren’t automatically the highest scorer.

Personally I don’t like to judge much by the scoreboard if you can help it. I’ve noticed a big difference between the roles and even class people have on the points they managed to get. Few examples are those who do the Skyhammer/Treb duties, both of these can turn a game around if there’s a lot of teamfighting going on, but it not always too favourable for their points. People who double-cap, reinforce 1 v 1s with multiple people or even when the opponent is already down and then tag him/finish him and move onto the point, forcing the 1 v 1’er to get off it get a lot more points than he/she who worked for them, but choses the team over his score. Bunkers in long teamfights can be essential, but they collect less points than say on Nifhel when I cap close or kill beast and then reinforce with my Necromancer, pop some wells and a Lichform to quickly kill loads, I get the same points on mid and more for beast and close, do I deserve more points? No, I didn’t hold of the enemies whilst my team could get much desired objectives. Was it the best thing to do? Yes, usually is.

So for these reasons seeing the scoreboard only for a small period of time, isn’t a big issue to me, but yes, it’s quick and little time to observe. I have played a few MMOs that allow you to stay on the scoreboard for 15m+ if you’d like to, but I guess do to the small scale arenas they just want to close the server-usage down straight away.

For the opt-out option, if you do it for one map, where do you stop? Plenty of people hate a variety of maps, though I am one of the Courtyard dislikers aswell, I know plenty of people who hate Skyhammer and I completely understand that aswell. Will you allow an opt-out option for both? And maybe then a group will pop-up hating Spirit Watch (this one hardly gets picked from what I’ve noticed) up to a point either everything has an opt-out option and you influence which map you get, or you only please a certain group. Though ye, I really bloody hate Courtyard. xD