Kill/Death ratio

in PvP

Posted by: BishopX.6453

BishopX.6453

Remove it

Only encourages Gankfest random SPVP

SPVP ganking is bad enough as it is with the high burst builds and zergs

Now you will get kids sitting in spvp all day ganking ppl not doing objs

its a PVP GAME…… the problem with the game NOW is that with all the players from WoW comming here and playing with us pvpers, you guys are AVOIDING COMBAT to score “points”

I cant tell you how many times I am at a node and someone runs up, sees me and runs away. or me and a team mate will walk up, see 2 other enemy and my team mate runs.

how many times have you been in a game and you take base A and the enemy takes base C, most people just go the back way to base A from C and its a constant swapping of bases with no combat.

its a pvp game, lets encourage MORE pvp.

Kill/Death ratio

in PvP

Posted by: Teknobug.3782

Teknobug.3782

KITTEN “team play” and “POINTZ”
thats for wow children

I come from NWN UO DAoC and WARHAMMER. nothing but a pvp background. the ONLY stat that ever matters is me killing you and me not dying. any zerg scrub can dive bomb in and kill someone and die… pop quickness charge adn hundred bladez… then die after getting your kill.

you can be jerome bettis and be bad for a very long time and compile a boat load of lifetime yards and lifetime touchdowns. but everyone knows Barry sanders was the best, he had the most yards per game and most yards per run. dont be jerome.. be barry.

KDR is the only thing that matters to REAL pvp’ers
emphasis on REAL.

LOL I get it, you’re a pro with a deathmatch mentality, I wonder how you fare in objective based matches. Do you ever do clan or guild matches?

Yak’s Bend WvWvW’er [Mount Phoenix Imperials]
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 ram | Gigabyte R9 280X 3GB (14.2)
Win 8 Pro 64bit

Kill/Death ratio

in PvP

Posted by: Teknobug.3782

Teknobug.3782

Remove it

Only encourages Gankfest random SPVP

SPVP ganking is bad enough as it is with the high burst builds and zergs

Now you will get kids sitting in spvp all day ganking ppl not doing objs

its a PVP GAME…… the problem with the game NOW is that with all the players from WoW comming here and playing with us pvpers, you guys are AVOIDING COMBAT to score “points”

Didn’t even realize there are still WoW players here, they a want dangling carrot to chase (gear progress) and MoP.

Yak’s Bend WvWvW’er [Mount Phoenix Imperials]
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 ram | Gigabyte R9 280X 3GB (14.2)
Win 8 Pro 64bit

Kill/Death ratio

in PvP

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

I’m going to make an assertion:

A real PvPer will be committed to continuous self-improvement in order to be ahead of the game and achieve recognized victories. In order to get to the top, you have to constantly challenge yourself, and one of the best ways to improve is to seek situations that you may very well lose in. If focus is put on KDR, then you are seeking situations which you have a high percentage of winning.

Therefore, a real PvPer will put no stock in KDR, because it pales in comparison to organized tournament/competitive victories.

Also to note, since this is a team game, one might sacrifice KDR for the good of the team to achieve victory. I’ll take that PvPer over a KDR-focused player any day of the week.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

Kill/Death ratio

in PvP

Posted by: Bsquared.3421

Bsquared.3421

I cant tell you how many times I am at a node and someone runs up, sees me and runs away. or me and a team mate will walk up, see 2 other enemy and my team mate runs.

how many times have you been in a game and you take base A and the enemy takes base C, most people just go the back way to base A from C and its a constant swapping of bases with no combat.

To be fair, a K/D ratio will mostly only encourage the type of gameplay you despise (and I despise as well). Your teammate will run, or disengage at low health, rather than fight to the bitter end for that node, just to pad his K/D stat.

I watched it nonstop in my Modern Warfare days. Folks would strap on a sniper rifle and camp, completely ignoring map objectives and “winning” just to keep their K/D ratio high. So frustrating, it’s a video game, who cares how much you die!

In order to get to the top, you have to constantly challenge yourself, and one of the best ways to improve is to seek situations that you may very well lose in. If focus is put on KDR, then you are seeking situations which you have a high percentage of winning.

^this so much. D’you want to see even more backstab noob thieves in sPvP? Then add a K/D ratio stat and watch as everyone rolls a thief to they can stealth/runaway if you mess their combo up to protect their K/D stat…

Nerfedname – Elementalist
Legion of Anvil Rock [XXIV] – Anvil Rock

(edited by Bsquared.3421)

Kill/Death ratio

in PvP

Posted by: Gilgamesh.2561

Gilgamesh.2561

I’m not sure any of this is important.

It may affect hot-join, but tPvP — especially higher ranks and especially paid tPvP — I doubt it.

If in tPvP your teammates aren’t taking risks in order to maintain their K/D ratio: find new teammates.

In tPvP I can’t realistically see a scenario where I think to myself “Oh, if I defend this point we will surely win, but I may die and I don’t want to ruin my K/D, so I better run away despite the fact we will lose the match.”

(edited by Gilgamesh.2561)

Kill/Death ratio

in PvP

Posted by: Detahmaio.2014

Detahmaio.2014

To be fair, a K/D ratio will mostly only encourage the type of gameplay you despise (and I despise as well). Your teammate will run, or disengage at low health, rather than fight to the bitter end for that node, just to pad his K/D stat.

I watched it nonstop in my Modern Warfare days. Folks would strap on a sniper rifle and camp, completely ignoring map objectives and “winning” just to keep their K/D ratio high. So frustrating, it’s a video game, who cares how much you die!

In order to get to the top, you have to constantly challenge yourself, and one of the best ways to improve is to seek situations that you may very well lose in. If focus is put on KDR, then you are seeking situations which you have a high percentage of winning.

^this so much. D’you want to see even more backstab noob thieves in sPvP? Then add a K/D ratio stat and watch as everyone rolls a thief to they can stealth/runaway if you mess their combo up to protect their K/D stat…

I wonder what role you want a sniper to do? Run around lolsquickscopekillz?

K/D stat isn’t horrible
Damage/healing isn’t horrible
Win/Lose ratio isn’t horrible
Caps/Defends isn’t horrible

Adding defends/kills ratios would be fine because if you get a KB on a node it will show you are a defender or possibly a bunker. Caps mean you are a roamer or just run with a zerg.

You have a lot of healing and low damage support role is what you might be running. These are gauges and I accept with them open arms.

Kill/Death ratio

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

I’d like to say that the image in question is a mock-up created by artists, and does not accurately reflect the in-game result of a feature.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

Kill/Death ratio

in PvP

Posted by: Gilgamesh.2561

Gilgamesh.2561

I’d like to say that the image in question is a mock-up created by artists, and does not accurately reflect the in-game result of a feature.

Aw, you mean we probably won’t have a “Rage Quit” counter? =(

Kill/Death ratio

in PvP

Posted by: NoahGibbs.5170

NoahGibbs.5170

Aw, you mean we probably won’t have a “Rage Quit” counter? =(

I would assume something like that would still be there, only in a nicer sort of way.

Kill/Death ratio

in PvP

Cogbyrn.7283

I think it’s safest to assume absolutely nothing about what will/will not make it into the stat sheet. I do think the discussion on the introduction of KDR is interesting though.

Kill/Death ratio

in PvP

BishopX.6453

ok, I think they should RAISE the bonus for defending a node.. like 20pts.
capturing an uncontested node should give 5.

capturing a contested node should give normal.

and I think a bonus should be given to players who win a fight vs superior odds.
in warhammer we used to run and hide when outnumbered. then they introduced a system that gave us more points for fighting against superior odds and as an underdog.
so lastnight I won a 2vs3 fight, i would have liked more than just 30pts for it =/

Kill/Death ratio

in PvP

Posted by: Proven.2854

Proven.2854

Another one against K/D. It just creates kitten arguments. Same with having any Ladder/Ranking system that isn’t a team only ranking system.

Call me Smith.

Kill/Death ratio

in PvP

Posted by: Seether.7285

Seether.7285

I think its funny that 2 of the biggest proponents of K:D are two people with giant egos (bishopx and bunzy who both played rift) and would claim to be the best but always had plenty of excuses for their frequent losses.

Especially when Bunzy says his reasoning behind wanting to see it is to “see how beast he is”

Kill/Death ratio

in PvP

Posted by: EoNxBoNx.9213

EoNxBoNx.9213

What is so wrong with KDR? There is no way to tell skill right now but Glory rank and that just determines how long someone has been playing. KDR, will be a better way to pick up the right people, although a its not the best way until we have ratings and rankings, it is just a small detailing on the cake that is sPvP.

“You’re either a Noob or a Pro your entire life, that’s life”
IGN – Kinjax // World – Anvil Rock
IGN – InTheseDays // World – Anvil Rock

Kill/Death ratio

in PvP

Posted by: stpetemermaid.5947

stpetemermaid.5947

I have seen several sPvP won by just one or two points. That means that every node I attacked outright, regardless of whether I was outnumbered, helped. Or I might make the decision to not engage if I am outnumbered if there are other nodes I can get faster. Every node I defended to the end, even if I was going to die and knew it, helped. Every time I ran up to the node, and didn’t stop, even though someone clearly wanted to engage me and crippled me, helped.

Will I try to kill you if you are on a node, yes. Will I try to kill you if you come to my node, yes. But engaging in fights for just the purpose of killing for a stat, or even for my own satisfaction is pointless in my gameplay.

So, I am not afraid of you (well, most of you). I am not afraid to fight you, but every second counts. Every decision I make counts, as do the movements and decisions of my teammates.

I can tell when I am in a team that just wants to kill. If everyone wants to just stand around and fight, I’ll do that, but it won’t win the match.

I do understand wanting to engage. I do miss dueling…greatly…even if it is just with my hubby. It helps me to develop and learn counters against classes/specs. I learn a lot in sPvP. But I take the learning where I can get it, and don’t sacrifice team points trying to do it.

I never did arena type fighting in previous games; I much prefer the strategy of a team match. Stats that relate the the team match are all that matter to me. I will agree that Thief is a little different. Kills are more important to my Thief…that what she does. But she trys to limit that to kills that help the group or stop someone from getting to node.

Kill/Death ratio

in PvP

Posted by: Aga.8641

Aga.8641

If there was KDR stat it would completely ruin the game for me, it’s such an kitten whoring stat, I’ve done it in games like CoD. The only acceptable form of KDR would be if it was only in hot join matches and even then I would not be pleased.

Resounding NO for tournaments.

Kill/Death ratio

in PvP

Posted by: hackks.3687

hackks.3687

Funny enough some people play in Hotjoins like KDR already exists. So comical to see people load out of the match once downed just to avoid getting stomped. Like it means something….

Hackkz/Riggamaroll
I’ve stayed at this party entirely too long

Kill/Death ratio

in PvP

Posted by: CeCaKonVeu.5734

CeCaKonVeu.5734

I think its useless stat .. ok
But then I dont get why people so kitten mad about it. Just ignore it lol how many times do you open this screen anyway ? personally never.

Kill/Death ratio

in PvP

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

so if your death is over9000, does it mean you suck as a player?

Kill/Death ratio

in PvP

Posted by: Deboog.1847

Deboog.1847

Players have every right to information

Blame the community, not Anet. That’s like blaming Anet for showing scores in WvW, It’s not like anyone is dumb enough to complain about that… right?…

Kill/Death ratio

in PvP

Posted by: CLundkvist.7814

CLundkvist.7814

why are people even talking about this? i mean its a nice feature for those who care about KD/WL ratio. And for those who think its a bad idea/not care just play as if it wasnt there. Good players will never make you take a screenshot and post it before joining a team. Ask any support player in LoL

Wanted to add that having some way of reseting the “stat recorder” would be nice.

Knight Wm
Far Shiverpeaks

(edited by CLundkvist.7814)

Kill/Death ratio

in PvP

Cogbyrn.7283

Blame the community, not Anet. That’s like blaming Anet for showing scores in WvW, It’s not like anyone is dumb enough to complain about that… right?…

Nothing is stopping you from keeping a tally of all of your kills/deaths.

Also, I do blame the community.

Kill/Death ratio

in PvP

Posted by: Buzbeez.5276

Buzbeez.5276

Yeah they made the classic mistake almost all games make and went K/D ratio and pretty much nothing else. There is no assists, there is no damage done, there is no healing done, there is no revives, nothing which signifies this is a team game and everything that glorifies this as a deathmatch game

Kill/Death ratio

in PvP

Posted by: PeteyPen.7136

PeteyPen.7136

If a K/D ratio is implemented I’m rolling a thief.

Kill/Death ratio

in PvP

Posted by: Master Charles.7093

Master Charles.7093

Nothing is stopping you from keeping a tally of all of your kills/deaths.

Also, I do blame the community.

This is a stat thieves would clearly excel at by killing then leaving combat

It just seems a little skewed, but if it is a private stat, the factor of it doing more damage than good would be largely removed. (Then you’ll just notice your thief toon gets away with murder much more often. =P)

Q: Who has the most control over a community based on a game?
A: The company making the game.

A community is like electricity: can you blame a large part for taking the path of least resistance?

(edited by Master Charles.7093)

Kill/Death ratio

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

I feel like I’m in some alternate universe. What is everyone talking about? There is no indication the k/d ratio is publicly visible. If it is just a private statistic it won’t affect tourny grouping at all.

Kill/Death ratio

in PvP

BishopX.6453

I think its funny that 2 of the biggest proponents of K:D are two people with giant egos (bishopx and bunzy who both played rift) and would claim to be the best but always had plenty of excuses for their frequent losses.

Especially when Bunzy says his reasoning behind wanting to see it is to “see how beast he is”

I know we must have played against eachother in a game cuz the name is familiar, i jus cant place it at the moment. but HI
im old, its been 19 years of this online pvp stuff, my list of friendenemies is long.

you mus not know me well, i never claim to be the “MOST BEASTEST” i just like competition.
im from brooklyn, its called swag. google it
anyway, we dont go down to the playground, see 1 team steamrolling over the other and just say “hey fellas lets just go to another park and play against empty nets!!” that may be what they do in YOUR neck of the woods but thats not being competitive.
and when we play said team we keep score. why? because its not a competition if we are not keeping score. ask any man in the park how many points he has and he will be able to tell you.

I like KDR, I play a kitten elementalist. its not like I play a class that gets high kills and is OP so im gonna even have a GREAT ratio. but I just like it. if its in, Im for it, if it is not.. oh well. but it is gonna be in, so ….deal.

(edited by BishopX.6453)

Kill/Death ratio

in PvP

Posted by: Chesire.9043

Chesire.9043

How about we add different game modes or balance classes/skills a bit more before adding interface changes? The interface is fine as it is right now and no one is complaining about it. The only interface option I’d ever want to see changed (currently) is giving us more freedom to place things where we want them. Otherwise, screw the interface it’s fine.

Fix the classes first.