Knowing when you team is beat

in PvP

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

Just wondering what peoples’ opinions on this are.

In a lot of matches it is very easy to tell early on that your team will lose. Once you’ve gotten credit for the match there is very little incentive to “draw” it out if you will. For that reason many players will either mess around or semi-afk till the end of the match if it’s obvious.

Do y’all think that is reasonable, unreasonable, or whatever?

Serenity now~Insanity later

in PvP

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

the only time , i Believe a match to be lost is when its 250points down and they have a soild hold on 2caps/nodes while actively able to contest the 3rd in " mid game" at the start you can still recover but when they are at 400 vs 150 well then its done.

there is not enough time to catch up , the only way in that situation is to cap 3 nodes at all times for a good 6mins while Racking up score through orbs/chiefs or kills , and if the opposing team are keeping a soild on nodes it means ether two things.

1. the opposing team has Vastly better node Rotations .
2. the person on thier team for Decapping or +1 is very good at prevention and node defence meaning , your team will find it very hard to hold nodes for any longer than 1min.

thats the only time i give up competitively and then after that i just play the game untill its over but i won’t try my best because i know you can’t recover for such overwelming odds that late into a match with such a difference in Situation.

though this only counts for Pugs and it is also very hard to establish a new rotation mid fight as everyones in the flow of the match, thats only changeable when a team speak is involved so people can match player to player , skill vs skill to turn the tables.

(edited by Zenos Osgorma.2936)

in PvP

Posted by: meow one twenty.4376

meow one twenty.4376

I’ve been on teams that have come back 300 point deficits, so the “early on” is something I don’t believe is always a proper indicator. If it is late in the game and there is no way to come back I’ll look for some fights to have some fun. To me, playing for “credit” is silly. You get relatively nothing for playing PvP in this game; I play for fun and I play for competition.

Alright meow, where were we?

in PvP

Posted by: Pimsley.3681

Pimsley.3681

In solo queue, you’ll never know.

Sometimes teams are just slow at picking up momentum at the start. If no one AFKs and everyone finds their rhythm, table often turn.

The problem I’ve been seeing a lot lately is that people rage quit on a whim. Lately, I’ve been thanking my teammates more for not quitting on us earlier in the match when we appeared to be the weaker team.

in PvP

Posted by: Chips.7968

Chips.7968

When the final score comes up.

Up until that point it is possible (however improbable) to turn things around.
However, generally it’s how we got to a position where we are losing, recognising what is wrong and players adjusting/adapting to this if pointed out.

If you’re simply bettered by the other team, you’ll probably know within the first 100 points. Soldier on, but outclassed is outclassed unless they’re liable to make mistakes (become fight fixated) through overconfidence.

If it’s all your team getting caught up fighting on a single point; mass capping a single point to improve personal point score; leaving points before they’re capped; fighting a tank 1v1 they can’t win against and therefore wasting time; fighting off point etc – all can be addressed via messages (as long as they’re a) reading them, b) willing to try to change).

I sometimes find it frustrating that you may get a rage quitting whiner who’ll quit within 30s – simply because your score is already down. They think they’re great so blame the rest of the team, and therefore don’t stick around to realise that if the other team win all initial fights and hold the 3 points, it can easily reverse as they’re spread thin; it’s still winnable. But they’ve no brains and quit – which sadly means you’re up against it. Simply changing the who went where could have resulted in a complete reversal but you’ll never know.

(edited by Chips.7968)

in PvP

Posted by: Elegie.3620

Elegie.3620

Winning conquest is about allocating the right amount and nature of resources on objectives (planning and executing node management with synergistic classes/builds) and the performance of the allocated resources (players’ ability to fight, control or disturb the opponent’s momentum).

In other words, there are many factors that can lead to suboptimal play, and seeing a combination of these at the beginning of a match is sometimes enough to tell you’re gonna lose, whatever efforts you pour in the game:

• Players on your team focus on the wrong objectives: going/dying to far, doing secondary objectives without having node control, multicapping a node, not defending a conquered node, not reacting to enemy moves (watching crossovers…), engaging in outnumbered fights, failing at +1’ing…
  • At least one player is technically below average, i.e. does not master his/her class/build as well as our opponents. You’re then fighting a 4.5v5, and numbers do matter. It’s not really the fault of the lacking person here, but rather a matchmaking issue.

I never AFK (only when we’re in 5v4, to allow for a fair 4v4), and always go at full throttle, even when I know we’re gonna lose. You gain more by fighting and losing (some possible tactical enlightenment) than by not fighting and sitting on your hands.

in PvP

Posted by: Chips.7968

Chips.7968

Always fight until the end – even if the team loses the overall battle, you can still win/enjoy or contest your individual fights.

in PvP

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

just had a match where we were down 410ish to 120ish. Came back and won it. So ye, NEVER give up.
The better argument for never give up is that you are committed to the match no matter what, you can choose to waste your time and just lose or you can chose to try your best and maybe pull a rabbit out of your kitten . Sure you’ll fail 99/100 times but won’t you have more fun trying to win rather than just accept the loss?

in PvP

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

I think you owe it to your teammates to fight the whole match.

Somebody who tanks the rest of the match because they see the match is lost is ruining any enjoyment 9 other people have. That person is a selfish jerk, a kitten kitten.

The people who rage quit and just sit there are also making the lost game last longer. Every additional death is a +5. Waiting for the ticks is actually slow.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in PvP

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

I see plenty of ppl that think they know they are beaten, even before the game started.

in PvP

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

Somebody who tanks the rest of the match because they see the match is lost is ruining any enjoyment 9 other people have. That person is a selfish jerk, a kitten kitten.

I am honestly not sure why the “enjoyment 9 other people have” should even factor into the decision making process as to whether to AFK or not.

First of all, they’re (probably) anonymous people on the internet who aren’t even going to mourn your death.

Secondly, its about how YOU want to spend YOUR time. Not about how others want you to spend your time. Unless of course, you’re getting paid, then I retract this statement.

Or maybe you’re one of those people who also considers yourself a selfish jerk who ruins the lives of countless future generations when you use electricity?

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

(edited by Reikou.7068)

in PvP

Posted by: Brigg.6189

Brigg.6189

I am honestly not sure why the “enjoyment 9 other people have” should even factor into the decision making process as to whether to AFK or not.

First of all, they’re (probably) anonymous people on the internet who aren’t even going to mourn your death.

Secondly, its about how YOU want to spend YOUR time. Not about how others want you to spend your time. Unless of course, you’re getting paid, then I retract this statement.

Or maybe you’re one of those people who also considers yourself a selfish jerk who ruins the lives of countless future generations when you use electricity?

Yeah, I like queueing for ranked pvp, but I prefer to /dance during matches instead of fighting. Sometimes my teammates get mad when I do this but it’s just how I want to spend my time.

in PvP

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

usually people don’t suddenly start to play a lot better than they usually do.
if i see my team collectively make crucial mistakes i explain in chat what needs to be done and why. if i see them not follow the instructions i sabotage the match so it’s over as fast as possible in order to get rid of those people.
i’m not talking about little stuff here but kitten like getting plastered 4v3 or 4v2 or one dude constantly running far just to get killed there over and over again. or if my team doesn’t seem to know how secondary mechanics work.
before i took a long break i never did this since i was being matched with people that at least knew the basics. after i come back i throw every third match because i know after 5 min that if the opponent team doesn’t go afk it’s gonna be a total blowout loss.
i’m smart. i only fight winnable fights.

in PvP

Posted by: zapv.8051

zapv.8051

If the question is “when do I know my team will lose.” The answer varies from at team comp, to me noticing their bad rotations to seeing idiot mesmer, thief and rangers always + 1ing and never try to win a 2vs2, to seeing 2-3 at far constantly while their team is ignoring that point, to early lord rush, to watching them instadie, to seeing people feed into 3+ at home, etc. The most classic was this ranger who was just like “I don’t teamfight.” GG right there.

If the question is “when do I give up.” Generally at around 450 to 300 or worse or in a 4vs5 when we are down a 100 already. If my team has 5 and the other has 4 generally I afk to make it fair (with the exception of us already winning by a lot in which case I try to end it quickly). Also, if I see the other team all voted for courtyard then they have a courtyard comp, and our team gets obliterated in the first engagement I go and hide.

Necros don’t have reflects, invulns, vigor, blocks,
extra dodges, real stability, mobility skills,
burst skills, sustain, or good support. GG ANET.

in PvP

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

I’ve had someone drop early in the match because they thought we couldn’t win and we ended up winning with just the 4 of us.

Always fight.

in PvP

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

If I see 4 red bars on the top left screen at the first 10 seconds, I am going to rage quit.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in PvP

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

Yeah, I like queueing for ranked pvp, but I prefer to /dance during matches instead of fighting. Sometimes my teammates get mad when I do this but it’s just how I want to spend my time.

As is your right, and that is what you should do.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

in PvP

Posted by: cakeonroof.7385

cakeonroof.7385

Sometimes teams are just slow at picking up momentum at the start. If no one AFKs and everyone finds their rhythm, table often turn.

The problem I’ve been seeing a lot lately is that people rage quit on a whim. Lately, I’ve been thanking my teammates more for not quitting on us earlier in the match when we appeared to be the weaker team.

That’s absolutely correct.

Momentum is everything. In solo and in a premade. Helseth was talking about the importance of momentum in one of his videos. It may have been an older vid coz he looked less heavier.

People should not give up too soon. I’d say a good rule of thumb is that you still have a chance at winning from a 150 point deficit the scores are under 400.

EU since Aug 2012

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

That’s absolutely correct.

Momentum is everything. In solo and in a premade. Helseth was talking about the importance of momentum in one of his videos. It may have been an older vid coz he looked less heavier.

People should not give up too soon. I’d say a good rule of thumb is that you still have a chance at winning from a 150 point deficit the scores are under 400.

except for foefire…. 1 bad throw at lord can lose you entire game even with 200+ points advantage very easily

funny part i have won games even with 300 points advantage, only happens in soloq though – people see they have high score, get carried away… lose maybe team fight and suddenly they are 3 capped and can’t come back anymore

this is main reason why i really don’t understand ragequiters and afkers, you only lost game when it is 500 and it is extremely easy to come back on foefire and forest

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: cakeonroof.7385

cakeonroof.7385

You’re right about foefire esp now lord dies faster than small golem. In fact that’s where I got the 150 from.

EU since Aug 2012