Leaderboard inconsistant with game objective.

in PvP

Posted by: Sevastianos.5672

Sevastianos.5672

I’ve casually been participating in Tpvp with a few of my friends for well over a year and have been playing GW2 since beta. A few of them prefer to play support roles like healer, condi removal, bunker, and control type builds. These people made huge contributions to the outcome of the game but are actually losing points on the leaderboard even when we win. The objective of conquest is to essentially hold the most points the longest but when it comes to being evaluated by the current leaderboard these support roles are being told they’re worthless. I was skeptical so i tried it out myself. I made a bunker and played a few days with both randoms and friends. After winning 8 out of 10 matches I had bunked myself right off the leaderboard. I had instances where i had tanked damage from two people at once for a few minutes until they abandoned the point. The point never decapped, I didn’t die, They didn’t die. But that 2 minutes of holding that point was a huge gain for my team and tilted the odds in our favor on the other side of the map. I didn’t earn a single point from this event but my team agrees we would not have won if this did not happen. I’ve heard quite a few people complaining about this as well, I haven’t cared much about the leaderboards until people started using it as a qualifier for team composition. Even a while ago we played a match where one person’s job was to be a scout and just watch enemy movement from their spawn. they finished the match with 20 points. it was a creative approach that ended in a somewhat trollish victory but it was effective and creative. The current leaderboard discourages such creativity.
I don’t know what’s happened with Arenanet but it feels like you guys have really lost sight of what PvP was meant to be in this game. Trying to co-ordinate or be creative with team composition is punished while mindlessly amassing points is highly rewarded. I realize there are ways to play that can be tailored to the current system, but why should a long term team change an effective tactic just because a point system determines the worth of the teammate? I still value my bunker even if Anet and the leaderboard doesn’t.

sorry if i rambled some. i put as much effort into this post as Anet has put thought into pvp.

in PvP

Posted by: Laserbolt.6731

Laserbolt.6731

Interesting post. Thanks.

Scrapper: “Frank from Research”

in PvP

Posted by: Grump.7069

Grump.7069

I somehow can’t truely follow where the leaderboard doesn’t do what the game objective requests? Don’t blind yourself with the scorecard of a game, whether you score 5 points or 300 points, you get the same reward as your allies. The only exception is getting 0 points, but technically if you’re on the winning side you should never ever end up with 0 points. The initial cap of a point is awarded points, killing an enemy (aka having done damage on them) renders points if someone finishes them off.
If you ended a game with 0 points, then you should be complaining more about your allies, rather than the game. You somehow bunked a base you didn’t assist in capping and were left to rot by your allies.

in PvP

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

You get the same amount of rating wether you score 5 points or 400. However, at any time if you character swap even before a match begins, you get the maximum point loss even if you actually win, I think that’s what you’re running into.

If you didn’t character swap or disconnect then it is a bug, because the rating only scores off the final score of the entire team.

(edited by Chase.8415)

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

You get the same amount of rating wether you score 5 points or 400. However, at any time if you character swap even before a match begins, you get the maximum point loss even if you actually win, I think that’s what you’re running into.

yeah pretty annoying, i got dc mid game and lost everything lol

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Sevastianos.5672

Maybe i’m just misreading the https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/finding-the-perfect-match/ ladder section. All i know is that in any match i haven’t scored lower than 40 and even while I was winning my ranking is declining and points are being subtracted. I’m getting the same kind of input from a few bunkers i know so its not just me. Also I know a few people who aren’t playing the objective, losing matches, but getting high personal scores and their ranks are increasing independently from the rest of the team. Trying to make sense of this just leads me to believe the system is riddled with bugs. I just thought i’d bring this up to see if anyone else is seeing similar results and get a bigger sample size but the way leaderboard is now really doesn’t feel like its working right.

in PvP

Posted by: Justin ODell.9517

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

These people made huge contributions to the outcome of the game but are actually losing points on the leaderboard even when we win.

They shouldn’t be loosing points for wins (unless they desert). We base the amount of ladder points awarded on team score, not personal score.

The rest of your post seems premised off the same idea, that the ladder is based on personal score instead of team score. Am I wrong? Or, are you suggesting we should base it on personal score?

If you want, I can review your account to see if there is anything odd going on.

Server Programmer (sPvP)
Isle of Janthir: Flux, Latch, Aegir

(edited by Justin ODell.9517)

in PvP

Sevastianos.5672

Yes, my post was based on the assumption that players were being rewarded on individual scores but my teammates also brought up another point after reading my post. Our bunkers normally don’t enter the match as their bunker character, and also experience disconnect. We normally take care to make sure if someone disconnects they atleast earn points before the match ends but could there be abandonment penalties for swapping or DCing? But yes, my post was on the assumption that leaderboard points were influenced by personal points in the match but i think Chase.8415 might be on the mark about this one.

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

Our bunkers normally don’t enter the match as their bunker character, and also experience disconnect. We normally take care to make sure if someone disconnects they atleast earn points before the match ends but could there be abandonment penalties for swapping or DCing?

Yes, disconnecting or changing professions will count as desertion, and give that player dishonor. They will also be scored on the ladder as if they had a full loss, meaning as if their team had scored 0 points.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Chase.8415

There’s a penalty for swapping characters because the system now adjusts the matches based off your hidden rating and composition, swapping characters breaks that system and could be considered cheating.

Right now because dishonor isn’t active people aren’t aware of the penalty yet, but once they enable it people will notice it.

in PvP

Posted by: Wispy.8679

Wispy.8679

Yes, disconnecting or changing professions will count as desertion, and give that player dishonor. They will also be scored on the ladder as if they had a full loss, meaning as if their team had scored 0 points.

I’ve been noticing since the last patch that disconnecting mid match will also not count as a win to your record and you also get no post match rewards, and you’re saying that it will now also give dishonour?

I’m sorry but that is incredibly harsh. I played a courtyard game a couple days ago, dc’d mid match but reconnected. Team still won and I still scored personal points. It got counted as a loss, and I recieved no post-game rewards and now I will also get dishonoured for something completely out of my control? Was the first and only dc that day, had no way of knowing it would happen so it’s not like I just decide to not queue when internet is feeling sluggish.

This isn’t even taking into account the dishonour you get for simply not accepting the queue pop (Which is utterly ridiculous and should never be implemented). Due to the new system you’re already forced to sit in HoM, and now you can’t even afk for the 10-15minutes the queue may take to pop???

I’m all for harsher punishments for leavers/AFKers but this is not the way to go about it. Think of it like harsh DRM systems like uPlay, do you honestly think punishing/making life harder for the vast majority of innocent players is worth it in order to catch the relatively fewer number of leavers/AFKers? Harsh DRM makes people pirate games, harsh dishonour systems will make people stop pvping.

[VoTF] – votf-online.net/

in PvP

Chase.8415

I’ve been noticing since the last patch that disconnecting mid match will also not count as a win to your record and you also get no post match rewards, and you’re saying that it will now also give dishonour?

I’m sorry but that is incredibly harsh. I played a courtyard game a couple days ago, dc’d mid match but reconnected. Team still won and I still scored personal points. It got counted as a loss, and I recieved no post-game rewards and now I will also get dishonoured for something completely out of my control? Was the first and only dc that day, had no way of knowing it would happen so it’s not like I just decide to not queue when internet is feeling sluggish.

This isn’t even taking into account the dishonour you get for simply not accepting the queue pop (Which is utterly ridiculous and should never be implemented). Due to the new system you’re already forced to sit in HoM, and now you can’t even afk for the 10-15minutes the queue may take to pop???

I’m all for harsher punishments for leavers/AFKers but this is not the way to go about it. Think of it like harsh DRM systems like uPlay, do you honestly think punishing/making life harder for the vast majority of innocent players is worth it in order to catch the relatively fewer number of leavers/AFKers? Harsh DRM makes people pirate games, harsh dishonour systems will make people stop pvping.

It gets counted as win, but the points you gain will be counted as a loss. You do have control over your connectivity. This is the system that they imp,event to prevent people from deserting games or cheating the system by swapping characters. There are always going to be negatives, but the fact is the mass majority do not have connectivity issues and this penalty is not going to cause people to quit. If anything, no punishments for people leaving and disconnecting alone would cause MORE players to quit PvP over unfair matches.

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

I’m not certain the no post-game rewards is accurate. I believe you still get those.

Dishonor works on an exponential curve. The first time will have a small timeout. It’s repeat offenders who will be hit the hardest. Even a small disconnect can have a negative impact on the other players in the game.

This isn’t even taking into account the dishonour you get for simply not accepting the queue pop (Which is utterly ridiculous and should never be implemented).

We felt a minor amount of dishonor (and queue dodging has the smallest of all types) was a good way to discourage trolling by constantly declining match pops.

Due to the new system you’re already forced to sit in HoM, and now you can’t even afk for the 10-15minutes the queue may take to pop???

Aside from a bug that will be fixed on the Tuesday 16th, you shouldn’t be getting 10-15 minute pops. Let me know if you do get long queues after Tuesday.

harsh dishonour systems will make people stop pvping.

We have different standards of what is harsh, as does nearly everyone on the forum. We can only try to implement systems that works for as many people as possible.

Here are a couple of links that include more details on how dishonor is implemented.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/PvP_Matchmaking_Algorithm#Dishonor
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/go-with-the-flow/

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Posted by: Jak Shadow.2864

Jak Shadow.2864

… but the fact is the mass majority do not have connectivity issues…..

What is your source for this “fact”. Lots of people have DC issues; have you not read the many posts on the forums complaining about it?

I have the best fibre broadband connection available to me (BT Infinity) and I still get lag spikes and the occasional DC (probably one a day). Your suggestion would be what? Don’t play PvP?

in PvP

Chase.8415

… but the fact is the mass majority do not have connectivity issues…..

What is your source for this “fact”. Lots of people have DC issues; have you not read the many posts on the forums complaining about it?

I have the best fibre broadband connection available to me (BT Infinity) and I still get lag spikes and the occasional DC (probably one a day). Your suggestion would be what? Don’t play PvP?

In the 3000 games I have played in PvP I have only seen disconnect issues less than a dozen times. Plus the forums are a minority. It’s the same thing with customer surveys and all, you’re signficantly more likely to complain about bad service versus complimenting good service, so it’s not surprising for 7 or so people to complain.

You have two options. Get a better service provider (mobile hotspots are very reliable, especially 4g ones) or play hot joins.

I have Comcast and I have never disconnected once from the game that wasn’t part of a denial of service attach or run into lag issues.

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Our bunkers normally don’t enter the match as their bunker character, and also experience disconnect. We normally take care to make sure if someone disconnects they atleast earn points before the match ends but could there be abandonment penalties for swapping or DCing?

While I understand that, it’s a bit annoying when gw2 crashes so much :p. I think I dc’d in 5-10 matches since last patch. So that would mean a 15-30 point loss? :/

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: Jak Shadow.2864

Jak Shadow.2864

I have Comcast and I have never disconnected once from the game that wasn’t part of a denial of service attach or run into lag issues.

Then you are lucky. As I said, BT Infinity is the best internet service available to me in London – I don’t have connectivity issues otherwise than in this game. 4G is not really an option in London either.

Although the forums represent a minority of the player base, that is more likely to be an issue in regards to game mechanics (as the people on these forums are not likely to represent the “average” player). As regards to hardware issues I do not see that the demographics will make a difference. If lots of people posting here have connection issues that means it is likely to be a problem for the silent majority. I don’t know where you get the “7 people” estimate from; perhaps you meant “700”, which is the number of replies in the thread on EU latency issues.

In any event, ANet have acknowledged there are issues with connectivity.

(edited by Jak Shadow.2864)

in PvP

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

Justin in the 1.30sec period b4 the match starts can I switch character not profession(still same prof) and not be penalized in any way?

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

in PvP

Posted by: MakubeC.3026

MakubeC.3026

Dear Mr. Justin ODell.
I just came here to say I love all of the new changes and feel they are for the better.
Thanks and live well.

in PvP

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

Justin in the 1.30sec period b4 the match starts can I switch character not profession(still same prof) and not be penalized in any way?

I’m pretty sure you can’t. Since dishonored wasn’t implemented I did that regularly this past week, and as a result I stand at a magnificent 7% (0 points) on the leaderboards! I just realized my mistake reading this thread. So don’t do it. It’s a shame though: if I cared about my LB rank (which I really don’t), I couldn’t run a thief or a mesmer when I queue solo in ranked arena: there are too many team compositions in which I wouldn’t fit. And people complain that everyone is running ele or engi!

in PvP

Posted by: Esmee.1067

Esmee.1067

So I just got into a team with 3 Engineers and 2 Mesmers vs Guardian, Necromancer, Thief, Elementalist and Engineer. So my choice is to be selfless and relog to a semi-bunker/full bunker (I chose Warrior, Sw/W shoutbuild due to getting Spirit Watch) to give us a chance, or selfish and just give up from the beginning, farm as many points as we still can?

Though I like the aspect of learning different builds so I can relog and be as useful for the team as I can be, I don’t mind if it’s impossible either, but then atleast don’t give me bullkitten teams like 3 Engineers and 2 Mesmers?

in PvP

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

So I just got into a team with 3 Engineers and 2 Mesmers vs Guardian, Necromancer, Thief, Elementalist and Engineer. So my choice is to be selfless and relog to a semi-bunker/full bunker (I chose Warrior, Sw/W shoutbuild due to getting Spirit Watch) to give us a chance, or selfish and just give up from the beginning, farm as many points as we still can?

Though I like the aspect of learning different builds so I can relog and be as useful for the team as I can be, I don’t mind if it’s impossible either, but then atleast don’t give me bullkitten teams like 3 Engineers and 2 Mesmers?

Exactly. Knowing how to play different builds to fit the comp should be rewarded. I’m not much of a gamer, but I think most MOBAs have a way of selecting characters in the beginning of the game to ensure a good team composition, right? Something like that would be cool, especially with Skyhammer and Courtyard being added to the queue.

Let’s be honest, although Anet did a good job with profession stacking (I almost never encounter profession stacking unless I play elementalist or at 4 am), you can’t have a perfect matchmaking: how would an algorithm recognize a working composition? Even if I’m the only mesmer in my team, it’s not always wise to play it if I know my enemy has a really good thief in their team. The most inexpensive way to solve this issue is probably to implement build templates, but even so, I can’t imagine myself playing a bunker venom thief if one of my teammate is already using a panic strike or a SD build.

in PvP

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

Can you implement this only AFTER the game starts. I play 50% ranger and 50% ele and just now realized that my class swap is the reason I go down in rank after winning 10 games in a row. What do I do when I have 2 other rangers on my team? Stick with my main and 100% lose or do I swap to a better class, and then still “lose” 0-500?.

Ranger | Elementalist

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

Dishonor system feels like an ancient mmorpg mechanic rather then a
guild wars 2 mechanic..

Anti Player Mechanics don’t “work for the majority of players”

We asked for the Map selecter, we got it, we asked for an end to 4v5s we got it!
I’m personally thankful for those!

But no one asked for draconic policies that only hurt the pvp population.
How can you be so sure that this system “works for the majority” when there’s absolutely no data?

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

in PvP

Chase.8415

Can you implement this only AFTER the game starts. I play 50% ranger and 50% ele and just now realized that my class swap is the reason I go down in rank after winning 10 games in a row. What do I do when I have 2 other rangers on my team? Stick with my main and 100% lose or do I swap to a better class, and then still “lose” 0-500?.

See my post above…

“There’s a penalty for swapping characters because the system now adjusts the matches based off your hidden rating and composition, swapping characters breaks that system and could be considered cheating.”

in PvP

Darnis.4056

See my post above…

“There’s a penalty for swapping characters because the system now adjusts the matches based off your hidden rating and composition, swapping characters breaks that system and could be considered cheating.”

I think everyone understands the quasi-logic behind dishonor, but it’s made on the assumption of perfect matchmaking, and also on the assumption that skill cap is being able to play only one class, where as in reality matchmaking is subpar and multi-classing is part of a player’s skillcap. I.E not Cheating.

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

When your computer connection disconnects you from the match, it destroys the chance of your team.

If you drove a car with unreliable brakes, and you had an accident that hurt others, you cannot blame your brakes for hurting them.

You chose to drive it.

in PvP

Darnis.4056

When your computer connection disconnects you from the match, it destroys the chance of your team.

If you drove a car with unreliable brakes, and you had an accident that hurt others, you cannot blame your brakes for hurting them.

You chose to drive it.

Holy Hyperbole Batman!
This is a terrible analogy in fact it doesn’t even make sense because most of the time you have no prior knowledge of an incoming disconnect, and it happends sporadically.

Dishonor for disconnecting is bonkers, awarding a loss and drop in ratings for a disconnect(EVEN if you win) is just Backwards.

in PvP

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

This no swapping thing is smelling really bad to be honest. I can understand swapping in the middle of the game. But before the game start??? I always swap to fit the team needs. If I join a match on my ranger and there is no bunker, I’m want to be able to switch, especially if there is a bunker in the other team.

Looks like Anet took the easy way out on that one. Lets just put dishonour on everybody that quit the match, even if the reason for them to quit the game won’t hurt the team but will rather help it.

I can’t believe that they couldn’t just give dishonour to ppl to quit or swap after the game start. Neither do I believe that their algorithm will make sure that profession will be balanced. That’s crap. Profession give you a really limited amount of information about a good or bad composition.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

You chose to drive it.

Holy Hyperbole Batman!
This is a terrible analogy in fact it doesn’t even make sense because most of the time you have no prior knowledge of an incoming disconnect, and it happends sporadically.

Dishonor for disconnecting is bonkers, awarding a loss and drop in ratings for a disconnect(EVEN if you win) is just Backwards.

We’ve been through this before in GW2 early last year. People disconnected repeatedly, ruined matches, and shrugged that it was not their fault, and EVERYONE on the team can suffer with them ‘cause they didn’t do it on purpose.

My analogy is about the principle involved. It’s not hyperbole.

And your point about prior knowledge only applies for the first disconnect. Arenanet hardly punishes at all for one disconnect.

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

If you unintenionally disconnected during a game and came back as soon as possible and your side still won logic would indicate that you did not hurt your team in any meaningful way. Also, how can you queue dodge when you don’t know who you are going to be facing. Am I really supposed to believe there are people queueing and intentionally not taking queues to screw people up? And the fix is to penalize all declined queues. I would imagine 99% of declined queues are due to the fact you have like 15 seconds to accept the queue. The system can certainly be tweaked it is too harsh right now.

in PvP

Posted by: GhOst.4019

GhOst.4019

If you get into the match and decide “Oh I wanna play my guard” and log out, BOOM -3 points for desertion. All decisions on class choice need to be made prior to Q’ing. As for scoring 0 personal points in the match, you will not get credit and loose points even if you team wins (It has ALWAYS been this way). You need a personal score of at least 1 point or it basically looks like you AFK’ed in base the whole match and won’t reward you. Simple as that. Fair and to the point.

#1 Player Granada
#1 Player Comoros

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

Well, they give dishonor now for leaving your team 4×5 if you play using a computer that tends to disconnect.

So, sorry… you’ll have to just deal with it now.

in PvP

Darnis.4056

Justin, These changes in the long run will hurt pvp population…
People who are alienated by these changes will outnumber those that are benefited in the long run.

Players who experience short term DC’s once or twice a day.
Players who multiclass or are learning another class, Why bother?
Players who are tired of pugstomping with their 5 man que with an off class, but get matched against vastly superior players and want to switch to their mains.
Players who care about skillcap and feel that switching characters is not cheating.
Players who care about the leaderboard, and are gypped by bad mechanics.
Players who don’t wanna get 500’-0’d by a premade but now the premade can’t even switch classes as a slight self handicap for a fun match.
Players who have multiple characters of the same class for the sole purpose of switching builds for different maps, since we don’t have templates yet, but instead we have dishonor.

Vesus People who see some benefit from these changes:

Who is that again? The People who won’t have their match interrupted by a short disconnect which usually does not have that much of an impact with this subpar matchmaking and the people who got 4 rangers on the opposing team and now are handed a free victory, which is essentially screwing up your mmr system.

The biggest problem is that this system does absolutely nothing to stop these things from happening because you can’t really guarantee a 100% stable connection, so disconnects will always happen, and people will still class switch when necessary, but it will cause them to sandbag their own mmr, and eventually they’ll be smurfing.

(edited by Darnis.4056)