Leaderboards based on MMR

in PvP

Posted by: Lanfear.9802

Lanfear.9802

Can we get this instead of the point system we have currently? The points currently awarded seem to just favor the people who play a lot.

in PvP

Posted by: Random Weird Guy.3528

Random Weird Guy.3528

Can we get this instead of the point system we have currently? The points currently awarded seem to just favor the people who play a lot.

“seem to”

Random Engineering // Trixxti // Random Noises (worst thief eu)
Svanir Appreciation Society [SAS]

in PvP

Lanfear.9802

Yeah, seem to because I have not done any real analysis. I would just like to see who the players with mad skills are and what classes they mostly play.

in PvP

Posted by: Blackstar.3475

Blackstar.3475

Yep, no point in playing ranked at the moment unless you want to show-off your dedication to your huge amount of PvP games.

I’d also like to see other stats like k/d/a and total damage etc.

in PvP

Random Weird Guy.3528

Well let’s look at the “top players” in EU. I don’t see a single player in the top 20 who consistently wins first place in ESL tournaments.

Player at #1 PeiperBot.8643 who I’ve bumped into several times in soloq. He soloq’s as a turret engi, a build notorious for being easy to farm noobs with in soloq.

Player at #9 is Walgen.1693 who I have also bumped into in soloq. This person decided to rush lord when we were at 100 points and allowed the enemy to triple cap us for a good 2 minutes in order to “make up lost points”. He then called me a “noob legendary champ” for saying that capping points is better than rushing lord until you have 350 points.

Both of these people are soloq’ers with a win/loss ratio below 50%.

EDIT: Did a quick scan through the leaderboard and found Rom at 391. Considering that he’s in oRNG which is arguably the top team in EU currently, as well as having been in TCG during their massive streak and played in the WTS finals, he should probably slightly higher than 391…

(edited by Random Weird Guy.3528)

in PvP

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

I think there is a big difference here between MMR and win ratio.
Win ratio cannot be easily relied on as they may have been with bad teams or impossible odd matches (eg one high MMR with 4 low MMR)- expected win -5% vs a team full of high MMR.

Not sure if MMR is a good indicator either for a leaderboard as it can also be tanked.

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

in PvP

Lanfear.9802

Not sure if MMR is a good indicator either for a leaderboard as it can also be tanked.

Seems to work for other team based games.

in PvP

TPMN.1483

There are also two thoughts on leaderboards – is it a season (eg like football in the u k – everyone plays each other in leagues bit like out WvW and the end winners are announced) or a grand slam match (eg knock opponents out).

All because someone is great at team play with a practices team doesn’t mean they are so hot in solo ques with all the unknown elements – just a thought.

in PvP

Posted by: oneply.9586

oneply.9586

Well let’s look at the “top players” in EU. I don’t see a single player in the top 20 who consistently wins first place in ESL tournaments.

Player at #1 PeiperBot.8643 who I’ve bumped into several times in soloq. He soloq’s as a turret engi, a build notorious for being easy to farm noobs with in soloq.

Player at #9 is Walgen.1693 who I have also bumped into in soloq. This person decided to rush lord when we were at 100 points and allowed the enemy to triple cap us for a good 2 minutes in order to “make up lost points”. He then called me a “noob legendary champ” for saying that capping points is better than rushing lord until you have 350 points.

Both of these people are soloq’ers with a win/loss ratio below 50%.

EDIT: Did a quick scan through the leaderboard and found Rom at 391. Considering that he’s in oRNG which is arguably the top team in EU currently, as well as having been in TCG during their massive streak and played in the WTS finals, he should probably slightly higher than 391…

ya that sounds totally legit. whats the problem?

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

in PvP

Lanfear.9802

Well, you can’t knock opponents out since the teams are random and that’s how tournaments work. Either way, you’re not giving a metric which we could use instead of MMR.

in PvP

Random Weird Guy.3528

I think there is a big difference here between MMR and win ratio.
Win ratio cannot be easily relied on as they may have been with bad teams or impossible odd matches (eg one high MMR with 4 low MMR)- expected win -5% vs a team full of high MMR.

Farming MMR doesn’t work. If you farmed MMR to a high level, you would end up constantly meeting high ranked teams and losing to them, making your MMR drop back down.

All because someone is great at team play with a practices team doesn’t mean they are so hot in solo ques with all the unknown elements – just a thought.

This problem is already solved by having soloq and teamq merged and has absolutely no relevance to this discussion.

in PvP

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

This problem is already solved by having soloq and teamq merged and has absolutely no relevance to this discussion.

You bashed solo queuers. But I have yet heard of any ESL guys who can solo queue and have good win ratio.

I’m a pretty terrible pvp players and I already think I’m getting handicape. Because almost all the matched the opponent have equal or slightly more team players. And my teams some times have stacking thiefs but my opponent almost never have that.

I can’t imagine all those all star teamq players trying to solo queue and get their butt kick because of unfair matches.

There might be people able to solo queue and wins alot of games at first because their MMR havn’t been set yet. But I love to see someone come out and claim they can solo queue and win consistently.

in PvP

Random Weird Guy.3528

You bashed solo queuers. But I have yet heard of any ESL guys who can solo queue and have good win ratio, which suggests that they aren’t that good at soloq.

I’m a pretty terrible pvp players and I already think I’m getting handicape. Because almost all the matched the opponent have equal or slightly more team players. And my teams some times have stacking thiefs but my opponent almost never have that.

I can’t imagine all those all star teamq players trying to solo queue and get their butt kick because of unfair matches.

There might be people able to solo queue and wins alot of games at first because their MMR havn’t been set yet. But I love to see someone come out and claim they can solo queue and win consistently.

I wasn’t bashing soloqueuers, I was bashing soloqueuers that had a win/loss ratio below 50%, suggesting that they aren’t particularly good at soloq.

As for no ESL guys having a good win/loss ratio in soloq, did you even look at the soloq leaderboard before the change? Let’s take Sizer for example, he had a 66% win/loss ratio before the leaderboard change and spent a fair amount of time at #1: http://www.gw2score.com/PvP/historyPlayer/Sizer2654

in PvP

laokoko.7403

As for no ESL guys having a good win/loss ratio in soloq, did you even look at the soloq leaderboard before the change? Let’s take Sizer for example, he had a 66% win/loss ratio before the leaderboard change and spent a fair amount of time at #1: http://www.gw2score.com/PvP/historyPlayer/Sizer2654

quite honestly I don’t even know much about pvp or scoreboard.

But is he still able to do it now? Or if there is even data that he is still able to do it now after the changes.

in PvP

Random Weird Guy.3528

But is he still able to do it now? Or if there is even data that he is still able to do it now after the changes.

No he’s not, that’s the issue. He doesn’t spend 12 hours every day playing ranked queue like all these people in the top 10.

in PvP

laokoko.7403

No he’s not, that’s the issue. He doesn’t spend 12 hours every day playing ranked queue like all these people in the top 10.

of course I understand that.

I mean can he still solo queue and have an above average win ratio right now after his MMR have settled.

And since team queue and solo queue is mixed now. His teamq win might make it harder for him to win solo queue also.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

in PvP

Random Weird Guy.3528

I mean can he still solo queue and have an above average win ratio right now after his MMR have settled.

Impossible for us to tell now since there isn’t a seperate soloq leaderboard and obviously he queues with a team a lot.

in PvP

laokoko.7403

Impossible for us to tell now since there isn’t a seperate soloq leaderboard and obviously he queues with a team a lot.

Right. I’m just saying I would like to see some one come out and claim they can do that solo queue and have a win ratio. Especially if they team queue alot which boaster their MMR.

With the current way things work, if his good, he’ll probably be the scapegoat who is taking quite some unfair matches. If he still manages to win those solo queuing, I’ll tip the hat to him.

I’m just guessing the only way to do that is win alot of games initially when the game havn’t set your MMR yet.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

in PvP

TPMN.1483

When will you realise win ratio is meaningless in the new leaderboards?

I have had strong of losses eg 4 in a row – yet gain 2 points.
We are in a loosing set – yet as a team we are pulling beyond our weight.

If people have more points than there total amount of wins – even with a high loss number they are probably more than pulling there weight regardless of win/loss ratio.

in PvP

laokoko.7403

Right. But I think what those people are trying to say is the leaderboard still dont’ accurately shows who the better players is. Since it’s obvious all those people on the top are just people who play the most games.

I dont’ have a problem with people complaining about that. But I just think people should stop bashing solo queuers who dont’ have a good win ratio.

in PvP

Posted by: oneply.9586

oneply.9586

Right. But I think what those people are trying to say is the leaderboard still dont’ accurately shows who the better players is. Since it’s obvious all those people on the top are just people who play the most games.

I dont’ have a problem with people complaining about that. But I just think people should stop bashing solo queuers who dont’ have a good win ratio.

hes right tho, if you soloq and youre not near 50% or better than youre not good at pvp. the matchmaking system is designed to try and make 50/50 the more common result. so if youre winning significantly less than 50%, youre not good. and really if youre at 50% youre just average.

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

in PvP

Posted by: lvis.3824

lvis.3824

well as long as there is not real reward for beeing the “best” we all should just ignore LB and play for fun.

in PvP

Lanfear.9802

well as long as there is not real reward for beeing the “best” we all should just ignore LB and play for fun.

I am not pushing for rewards, I just want to see who some of the best players are and the leaderboard should reflect that.

in PvP

laokoko.7403

I am not pushing for rewards, I just want to see who some of the best players are and the leaderboard should reflect that.

if all things goes right. Those teams can battle for the new game mode in the expansion.

I think the merges of solo and arena queue are probably preparation for the expansion. Since the queue wont’ get any better in the expansion. And the new game mode is probably where the top teams battle for their spot.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

The leaderboards would work fine if there was a cap on the number of games you can get in a week. If that was added, it would be 2x better than measuring MMR, imo.

It would still cater to people who participate in season rather than people who wins 1 game a week, having a 90 or 100% win ratio i.e Old System.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Makes sense to me.

It would also make sense that a person who plays rarely but wins each time should be higher up the leaderboard.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in PvP

Posted by: truthishly.9513

truthishly.9513

They announced on the last stream that the LB will be changed to reflect skill level more than grinding, but I don’t think any more details were mentioned.