Leaderboards extended to top 1000!

in PvP

Posted by: savov.3712

savov.3712

Just noticed that there are a lot more pages to browse through. Up to page 40 which is 1000 players:
https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/pvp?page=40
Also if u log in, your name will be marked so its more easy to spot urself while going through the pages.
That was quick and Im happy with my resault. ^^
Sorry if this doesnt deserve its own thread, but its pretty big.
gl hf

in PvP

Posted by: mursie.3681

mursie.3681

These leaderboards, in my opinion, are actually very very credible. At first I was somewhat skeptical that they were garbage. But today I can definitely feel confident about my assessment in their validity.

Case in point – Ostrich Eggs is rank 40 currently. Great engineer, somewhat of a sellout, but good player none the less. At rank 51, just 11 spots behind, is the completely daft ranger talent of Bonesx. Literally the best ranger you have never heard of. That this leaderboard was able to capture their talent and evaluate how close these two players are in actual skill was amazing to me. Seeing this made me know that yes – these leaderboards are legit.

in PvP

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Next

Just noticed that there are a lot more pages to browse through. Up to page 40 which is 1000 players:
Also if u log in, your name will be marked so its more easy to spot urself while going through the pages.
gl hf

Over the course of the next week or two, we’ll continue to expand and show more players, and add new search features once each feature set is stabilized.

in PvP

Posted by: Rerroll.9083

Rerroll.9083

gl hf

Over the course of the next week or two, we’ll continue to expand and show more players, and add new search features once each feature set is stabilized.

Can you guys look into this bug?

“Me and some friends have experienced it.
When you are browsing the EU ladders and you go fastly throught the pages, it will take you to the NA leaderboard without asking. If you dont realize they moved you to NA, you will never find yourself. it’s very annoying also, because you have to go back to page1”

Up Rerroll

in PvP

Posted by: josh.7390

josh.7390

gl hf

You can avoid it by typing the page you want into the URL, not a real solution, but till its fixed..

When you are browsing the EU ladders and you go fastly throught the pages, it will take you to the NA leaderboard without asking. If you dont realize they moved you to NA, you will never find yourself. it’s very annoying also, because you have to go back to page1”

You can avoid that by typing the page you want into the URL. Not a real solution but till its fixed..

(edited by josh.7390)

in PvP

Posted by: Shar.3402

Shar.3402

gl hf

to avoid the bug, just put the page number in the browser!
that’s what I did at least :p very annoying.

Shar Teel – Elementalist
Yolo queue FTW [YOLO] – Desolation (EU)
Champion Magus, Genius

in PvP

Posted by: Lupanic.6502

Lupanic.6502

Thank you ANet. Good job. Good step in a good direction!

in PvP

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

Previous

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Next

gl hf

We’ve got folks looking into it right now, thank you!

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

Still want to know, why i played against a Top 25 team last time, while i’m not even yet on the list.

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

in PvP

Posted by: Valkyriez.6578

Valkyriez.6578

Colin, is there any chance there is a blog post coming out explaining the matchmaking algorithms used (Glicko 2 I assume) and also whether your happy with the way your matchmaking is working? You insinuated that it would attempt to pit team v team and solo v solo in a dev post previously, is this currently happening consistently or is the algorithm still a bio loose due to population issues?

While we are at it, could you please explain the pros and cons to a hidden MMR? For the life of me I can’t think of a pro for it and only cons which is the opposite of visible MMR systems like other competitive games.

The leaderboards seem slightly unstable and as some who isn’t on it, bet seemingly I have a better win/loss then alot of people who are on it, I’m unsure on how to actually get into the top 1000. I win 70% or so of the time, regardless of opponents and knew I wouldnt be in top 100, but not even top 1000?

A blog post to educate the sPvP population a d stop the uninformed speculation would be a great step.

Thanks.

in PvP

Posted by: Travee.8492

Travee.8492

Either the leaderboards update rapidly fast or there is a bug. I sometimes see a player appear twice on the list!

in PvP

Posted by: Vitu.3580

Vitu.3580

How far back do the leaderboards go when calculating your rating/ranking? As in, I’ve been playing since release, so i have over 500 tourney matches. Does it count all of those games? or just the ones I’ve done since the leaderboards were released?

Also, is the rating/ranking account bound? or character bound?

(edited by Vitu.3580)

in PvP

Posted by: Zodian.6597

Zodian.6597

Awesome job and fast response time with this change! -I’m the 919th on NA lolol. Guess that’s what I get for trying to learn peoples builds in solo queue all the time ;p

Neglekt

in PvP

Posted by: Zodian.6597

Zodian.6597

Either the leaderboards update rapidly fast or there is a bug. I sometimes see a player appear twice on the list!

I believe they update automatically (in real time).

Neglekt

in PvP

Posted by: JonathanSharp.7094

Previous

JonathanSharp.7094

Game Design Lead

I’m finishing up an F.A.Q. to answer a lot of these questions. I’ll try to answer as many as possible.

IGN: Chaplan
“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.”
-Arthur Schopenhauer

in PvP

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

One confusing thing is the w/l reset that didn’t reset rating. It means the correlation between displayed w/l ratio and rating is very weak. Additionally, a decently ranked player might not have a great w/l bc he probably faces top teams very frequently if he ques. But he might genuly be better than someone who plays on obscure times knocks of a bunch of wins vs bad pugs.

in PvP

Posted by: rsq.3581

rsq.3581

I was just curious and searched through the top 1000 NA to see how many were from my server, Darkhaven. Sadly, only ten (10!) of the 1000 are from Darkhaven. Is this solely a result of the majority of the PvP population being focused in Anvil Rock and simply having a higher number of players playing higher level tournaments on this and other similar servers? It seems wild that the populations are so extremely distributed, as I doubt the skill level of the servers differs that dramatically.

Also, plans to separate solo queue from personal rating? I don’t really enjoy hotjoins but definitely don’t want my rating to suffer from solo joining a tournament and entering a bad pug.

To give an example… when I play with my (pseudo)team, we generally faceroll wins. Then they all log and I play a few solo-queues and generally lose miserably, be it a 4v5 or just bad team coordination. I’m certain my rank severely suffers from it but I find it typically more enjoyable than hotjoins in their current state. Are there any plans to address this? I’d like my rank when playing ‘serious’ tournaments to be indicative of my actual tournament abilities.

Finally, are there any plans to reset ranking when some of these other issues are addressed?

Thanks! Happy to see the leaderboards are growing!

Salphir | Salfir | Falana
jo0 Binder

in PvP

Posted by: Dagoth Kuam.6738

Dagoth Kuam.6738

These leaderboards, in my opinion, are actually very very credible. At first I was somewhat skeptical that they were garbage. But today I can definitely feel confident about my assessment in their validity.

Case in point – Ostrich Eggs is rank 40 currently. Great engineer, somewhat of a sellout, but good player none the less. At rank 51, just 11 spots behind, is the completely daft ranger talent of Bonesx. Literally the best ranger you have never heard of. That this leaderboard was able to capture their talent and evaluate how close these two players are in actual skill was amazing to me. Seeing this made me know that yes – these leaderboards are legit.

(These are as of this post)

Rank 49: 9 wins, 6 losses, 60% win percentage.

Rank 623: 103 wins, 33 losses, 75.37% win percentage.

Completely ignoring the fact that #623 destroys #49 in games, you’re telling me that in only 15 games, #49 has more kills, captures, points, whatever else you can think of to earn over 500+ spots higher on the list?

I call bull. Can someone link to the algorithm/formula they use to calculate these rankings?

in PvP

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

(These are as of this post)

Rank 49: 9 wins, 6 losses, 60% win percentage.

Rank 623: 103 wins, 33 losses, 75.37% win percentage.

Completely ignoring the fact that #623 destroys #49 in games, you’re telling me that in only 15 games, #49 has more kills, captures, points, whatever else you can think of to earn over 500+ spots higher on the list?

I call bull. Can someone link to the algorithm/formula they use to calculate these rankings?

they reset w/l ratio without resetting rating. so that person could have earned his rating over hundreds of games and what ur seeing is the tip of the iceberg. This is an issue as it makes the leaderboards look really funky.

However, even if w/l had been reset at same time as a rating reset, w/l would merely correlate much more highly with rating than it does now. As who you lose to, and who you beat matters a lot.

in PvP

Posted by: Dagoth Kuam.6738

Dagoth Kuam.6738

Now there’s an explanation that makes sense. Thanks for that follow-up.

in PvP

Posted by: Psychogene.6780

Psychogene.6780

In the future I’d like to see a leaderboard for teams and one for solo queue, since its pretty obvious at the moment that the highest spots will be fought out between pre-made teams.

In my opinion this needs to be done because for those serious pvpers, once they have an established position on the leaderboard they will never group up with randoms or even solo queue anymore, for fear of losing games and hence the position on the board which drives them to pvp. And on the flip side, casual/solo queue players can stop being cannon fodder for premade teams.

Of course if this was to be implemented there would need to be different criteria’s for both options. Suggestions -

- Form a team with a roster and give the team a name. Seperate queue for teams from solo queues. Maybe even a Looking for pvp group system across all servers to join random people into one team, so that if solo queues want to play as part of a team one can be made randomly (tho obviously wont be as good as hand selected group, would be better then solo-queing if the same group sticks around for at least a few games).

- Solo queue players should have a different leaderboard, based on something else. Maybe just based on win/lost ratio and points scored overall or something. Not really sure here just a different system from the current leaderboard that is more similar to the hotjoin experience would do.

Just a thought.

(edited by Psychogene.6780)

in PvP

Posted by: Salvo.8290

Salvo.8290

The leaderboards are a good start. Like many others I look forward to a separate soloqueue leaderboard. In addition, I see no point in having a loss column that you can sort with…unless you want people to know who the biggest losers are in GW2 pvp. I think other useful info would be a column on the most played profession (listed as favorite profession in pvp tab so it should be easy). It would actually be useful as you could see who the best players of a profession were in order to watch how they play when spectator mode eventually gets here sometime later this year. One final request would be to have the option to use layered filters-for instance, find all the players of a profession with high win/loss ratio.

in PvP

Posted by: IDarko.4709

IDarko.4709

sPvP truly is dead at the moment. I’m ranked 201 but rarely play sPvP. That said, the leaderboards might spark some new competition.

Hopefully you guys add a search function to the leaderboards. I do really like it so far tho! Good job.

Dius Vanguard [DiVa]
Gandara – WvW Warrior

in PvP

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

w/l rating is awful to rate players by skill anyway. I’m happy the rating system doesn’t take those into account at all.

in PvP

Posted by: Valkyriez.6578

Valkyriez.6578

Wait? Win/loss isn’t a good way to rate players?

What pray tell is a good way to have rankings on a leaderboard? How may points u get in a match?

Win/loss based on an Elo or Glicko system is the only way IMO.

in PvP

Posted by: Socram.6587

Socram.6587

He obviously meant a pure W/L rating without taking the other team’s rating into account.

in PvP

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Exactly. When someone says they got a 100% win rate (on a significant number of games), it can as well mean he’s the best player ever that never loses, or much more likely that he always plays against players that are a lot weaker than him. How that happened ? I don’t know but that’s the conclusion you should take from his w/l ratio.

The W/L ratio you can find on various leaderboards is more a tool to see if the matchmaking system of the game is working correctly than to measure a player skill.

in PvP

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

I’m glad they got the leaderboards up, it’s a start. But the fact that people with 6 wins and 5 losses are on there, even within the top 100, is absurd. They need to implement some ranking system immediately, before anything else.

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.

in PvP

Posted by: nmoral.3876

nmoral.3876

is there any way i can find my self in rankings? probably i am not but if you are in rankings is there any way to locate your self? Ordering by names reset if you click on second page so its impossible to find anyone this way. There should be a searcher to find certain people

in PvP

Posted by: figjam.5296

figjam.5296

How does this work? there are some guys with 5 wins on leaderboard..but I’ve more than 40 tourney wins, still not listed :s

The evil never ends. Just evolves.
Dungeon Master
Been there. Done that.

in PvP

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

Im finding these leaderboards Ok except theyre all individual rankings and not guild rankings , Need G V G added with top 1k guild ladder adding a.s.a.p

[WM]give us in game ladder

in PvP

Posted by: turshija.3627

turshija.3627

is there any way i can find my self in rankings? probably i am not but if you are in rankings is there any way to locate your self? Ordering by names reset if you click on second page so its impossible to find anyone this way. There should be a searcher to find certain people

Try http://www.gwshack.info

How does this work? there are some guys with 5 wins on leaderboard..but I’ve more than 40 tourney wins, still not listed :s

They have made secret algorithm and display only players with specific rules …
What I managed to figure out is that you need minimum 5 wins, and at least 40% win percent to qualify for leaderboards …
Also they don’t look only at win percent for ranking, they also add number of wins in formula, so that someone with 100 win and 100 loses has bigger rank then someone with 10 wins and 10 loses ..

Searchable leaderboards → http://www.gwshack.info
Leaderboards feedback → /forum/pvp/pvp/Leaderboards-with-search-www-gwshack-info/first

(edited by turshija.3627)

in PvP

Posted by: Ashanor.5319

Ashanor.5319

I don’t quite understand how you get ranked personally. I have a higher win rate (in nothing but solo joins) than a lot of people on the boards, I also have more wins than a lot of people on the boards. In order for the ranking system to mean anything (if anything), we really need to know exactly how it works.