Leagues do not reward skillful play

in PvP

Posted by: ReaperJr.5967

ReaperJr.5967

According to pvp dev team, matchmaking is mainly based on 50% mmr and 50% league division. With everyone still mostly in amber/emerald/sapphire, league division does not really matter as sapphires will get matched with/against emeralds and emeralds will get matched with/against ambers.

So here comes the issue of mmr, since mmr was not reset at the introduction of leagues, players with high mmr are then being punished. How so? Let’s say you are in amber with high mmr, it’s likely you would climb through it quickly (even if solo q) with a high winrate, thus boosting your mmr even higher. However, once you reach emerald, it is a different story.

The system will try to match you with players above your skill level to get you to ‘lose’, so to speak, to try and reduce your winrate to an average of 50%. If you beat the odds, and win even when it does so, then you get matched against tougher opponents. With more unfair matchups. Premades against pugs, new players on your team etc. Hence the system will continue to do so until you hit 50% winrate average, during which you would go against opponents of equal caliber and be subjected to the grueling grind that is leagues.

Until then, you will keep losing matches simply because you had high mmr to start with. With no incentive to boot. You dont get to progress faster nor do you get any winstreak bonuses. It’s no wonder people are actually tanking their mmr just to climb leagues, it’s the sane way out. Unless you have a premade that is kitten good at what they are doing, able to beat all other premades, you have no chance at the leagues.

Now imagine i had low mmr to start with. I will definitely hit emerald since amber doesnt cause you to lose pips, but i will hit it with low mmr. I will then get matched against easier players, climbing the divisions much faster.

The question is then why? And is anet even considering fixing this?

Lord Ninth \\ Champion Magus
- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

in PvP

Posted by: tarcheg.4872

tarcheg.4872

Always crying…

So you suggest an MMR-reset? That would lead to blow out matches for at least 1-2 months. And everyone would be crying over that…
Why throw away data you collected over such a long time.

Sure I see your point, but who gives a kitten about if you reach Ruby in 2 or 6 days? You want everything perfect from the start but there is no perfect way. But I think Anet has chosen the best one available.

It guarantees kind of even matches (much better than with an MMR reset) and tanking your MMR on purpose (because you just got to Ruby and you want to queue vs bad players) is not ideal as well because match making takes also into account that you are already in a higher league.

in PvP

Posted by: Shinigami.2398

Shinigami.2398

I completely agree with ReaperJr, this is my biggest problem with the league-system right now. Not only does it allow exploits (mmr-tanking), it basically forces you to use them. I had such high hopes for the new system, but so far it has failed to deliver it’s most important feature: MEANINGFUL pvp-achievements. The best way to get the Primordial Legend title (unless you queue with a full pro-team) is to exploit and grind. Really quite sad, please try to change this. If you lack ideas, I’d be happy to give you some, it really wouldn’t be that hard to do this better.

in PvP

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

The league has nothing to do with skill. If you have a high MMR you get pitched into teams that are likely to lose the match, giving you a losing streak. After you’ve lost enough matches and your MMR is lowered you get rewarded with a winning streak to fill out a tier. There is no point in tanking games to lower your MMR, because the MMR system does this for you.

in PvP

Posted by: Rieselle.5079

Rieselle.5079

Since MMR is hidden it’s hard to be sure, but generally you can’t “boost” your MMR beyond your skill level. You’re misunderstanding how glicko works.

So when you have a high MMR, and you’re winning a lot in Amber, you won’t gain much MMR when you beat lower MMR opponents. By the time you get to Emerald, your MMR is still your “true” MMR.

You won’t suffer extra losses, just because you won your way through Amber.

The missing ingredient seems to be something that LOL has:
http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/League_system

According to that wiki, in LoL, if your MMR is higher than the expected amount for your division, you will gain more points for a win, and lose less for a loss.

This means, if your MMR “deserves” to be Sapphire, but you’re in Emerald, then even with a 50% win rate, because you gain more points and lose less, you’ll eventually rise up to Sapphire.

in PvP

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

What the kitten is this 50% winrate (correction) you are all spouting ?

Have you for a sec , sit down and think carefully what you say ?

a) If I win a game , from 1500 rating i will go to 1510
b) If i win again i will get from 1510 , to 1520
c) When i reach 1800 then i will be forced to face Pro-Players .
c) If for some reason i win 20 matches then the system will think me as mnin-Helseth (you are always will be a mini compared to him) and i will be forced to face Pro-Players .
d) If i tank my MMR -loose on purpose , and then win 20 matches in a raw (for the pips) then again the system will think of me like a mini-Helseth and i will be forced to face Pro-Players (its a waste of time-you have to repeat that) .
e) If my Teams creates Miracles , while my personal skill is low and WE win , then my MMR will be boosted too and i will be forced to face Pro-Players .
f0 If you High MMR (mainly because of your Proteam8s) you will have to loose many times in the row before the system tries to find yourrightess place .

Concutions : Your team wins Games or gating boosted because your team8s is Pros = you will get high MMR , you will face Pros = you will looses
You tank your MMR = congrats you will get 10-15 wins = then you will face Pros

If dont want to increase dramaticaly your MMR , when you are winning get allittle afk (hide) , and try to win with as low Team Score difference as can be …

And if they pinging your Location and ask : ‘’why the kitten you are not moving Enginner ?’’ tell them ‘’Because Inuki is overjelous with names’s pronunciations and we have spoonfed from childhoose that the whole nation(mini-Dravens) gave the ’’lights’’ (and not 10-15 marvelous ppl)

(edited by Killthehealersffs.8940)

in PvP

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

The league has nothing to do with skill. If you have a high MMR you get pitched into teams that are likely to lose the match, giving you a losing streak. After you’ve lost enough matches and your MMR is lowered you get rewarded with a winning streak to fill out a tier. There is no point in tanking games to lower your MMR, because the MMR system does this for you.

This is not exactly how it works. Despite numerous false claims on the forums, there is nothing inherent to the algorithm that gives you losing streaks after winning streaks. The thing is, if the system was ideal, and every game was won or lot according to prediction, you would keep a nearly constant MMR, and have random fluctuations over your equilibrium point.

Now, a lot of factors influence these fluctuations. You probably have noticed that soloq games are a lot more unbalanced than premade vs premade games. I think the most important, in soloq, is the team composition. Because of this random factor and others, you can have rather large fluctuations around your equilibrium point, leading to win streaks or lose streaks.

The best way to prevent losing streaks is to play two or three different builds with different roles. And, if possible, to duoq with a friend who can also counter-comp.

in PvP

Posted by: ReaperJr.5967

ReaperJr.5967

There is no such winstreak. Once they pitch you enough losing games to hit 50% you will just get normal matches. As of now my winrate has dropped from 64% to 60%. Keep em going anet. -rolls eyes-

Lord Ninth \\ Champion Magus
- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

in PvP

Sorel.4870

Since MMR is hidden it’s hard to be sure, but generally you can’t “boost” your MMR beyond your skill level. You’re misunderstanding how glicko works.

So when you have a high MMR, and you’re winning a lot in Amber, you won’t gain much MMR when you beat lower MMR opponents. By the time you get to Emerald, your MMR is still your “true” MMR.

You won’t suffer extra losses, just because you won your way through Amber.

The missing ingredient seems to be something that LOL has:
http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/League_system

According to that wiki, in LoL, if your MMR is higher than the expected amount for your division, you will gain more points for a win, and lose less for a loss.

This means, if your MMR “deserves” to be Sapphire, but you’re in Emerald, then even with a 50% win rate, because you gain more points and lose less, you’ll eventually rise up to Sapphire.

Now this looks like a very sensible system. The main problem with leagues as of now is that it has nothing to do with MMR, and unless you’re one of the best player in one of the best team (meaning almost no other team is worthy of fighting you), you will mostly get balanced games (which is fun), and as a result rely on luck or exploit to progress through leagues (which is not). And that, regardless of how good you are at the game.

People have suggested a MMR reset, which would have the major drawback of giving us unbalanced games for a month, but your solution looks much, much better, and relatively easy to implement. Thank you for being constructive on these forums. It’s a rare sight.

in PvP

Sorel.4870

There is no such winstreak. Once they pitch you enough losing games to hit 50% you will just get normal matches. As of now my winrate has dropped from 64% to 60%. Keep em going anet. -rolls eyes-

It sucks, but a winrate of more than 60% on a short period of time most likely means your MMR is now artificially high, and now you’re being put against opponents that are too strong. If it stabilizes higher than 50%, it means you did something right to improve (like counter-comping, tryharding because of league, etc.), and in that case good job!