Let's stop with Leagues...

in PvP

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Why do we even bother? Leagues brings toxicity to the game and people are just farming the backpack anyway. Why not trash the league and just have the achievements to earn the backpack? Grindy but achieavable avhievements no matter how good you are.

PvP is starting to be horrible and I am on the brink of quitting.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

in PvP

Posted by: Craola.2405

Craola.2405

it’s anet, how much hope do u have?

in PvP

Posted by: Drussthelegend.2630

Drussthelegend.2630

Why do we even bother? Leagues brings toxicity to the game and people are just farming the backpack anyway. Why not trash the league and just have the achievements to earn the backpack? Grindy but achieavable avhievements no matter how good you are.

Because some of us liked to be ranked based on skill. I could care less about the stupid backpack. Thats whats wrong with this game mostly is the playerbase. For the most part its filled with a bunch of whiny bads that think they should be guaranteed a 50% win/loss rate and every match should be 500-498 that they do lose.

in PvP

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

Leagues are fun. It gives people a reason to try their best. Season 3 on my opinion is the best we had: I have played 60 games, I’m in ruby, where I probably belong. Sindrener, in the same number of games, made it lo legendary. In nearly every game I lose, my team and I could have played better and win the match, but lost because of mistakes. Let the ragers rage: for players that aren’t delusional about their own skill level, leagues have mostly positive aspects. The only thing I dislike are the long queues in unranked, that basically force me to only play builds I’m already good at, but hey, it means that people enjoy ranked, so who amI to complain?

in PvP

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

The only thing I dislike are the long queues in unranked, that basically force me to only play builds I’m already good at, but hey, it means that people enjoy ranked

You are only ruby, they get longer and longer for each league. So not much to enjoy if you have to wait forever for a match in high leagues.

in PvP

Posted by: Aktium.9506

Aktium.9506

Let’s not. Leagues give you an incentive to even bother in the first place. The old leaderboards sure as hell did not. Rewards ain’t got nothing to with it, they’re terrible anyway. No one does PvP for rewards.

in PvP

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Agreed, everyone would be better off if they just removed the leagues entirely. Let people who want to PvP PvP, but PLEASE stop trying to offer incentives for people who don’t want to be there to be there. It only hurts the game for all involved.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in PvP

EdgarMTanaka.7291

So for next year let’s not have an item to fight for, there should only be the devisions and the PvP-rewards are only from the usuall reward track.

I play PvP for fun and for rewards, I play leagues for reward only as I find Unranked alot more entertaining… I would go back doing unranked as soon as I have my backpack.

I am just tired of all the hate over leagues in both forum and in game and that I can not enjoy Leagues with my own made builds without getting hate whispers becouse I do not use meta (still I do realy good in PvP).

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

Because some of us liked to be ranked based on skill. I could care less about the stupid backpack. Thats whats wrong with this game mostly is the playerbase. For the most part its filled with a bunch of whiny bads that think they should be guaranteed a 50% win/loss rate and every match should be 500-498 that they do lose.

If you like to be ranked on skill then wby do you like leagues? You can’t lose divisions, anyone who plays enough games will go as far as they want to go. The only difference is how fast you get there.

A Legendary Backpack is a PvE item. PvPers have no use for stats. A simple PvP exclusive skin and an actual ranking system would of been much better.

But…….the Legendary Backpack is to bring in the PvE players and the Leagues are just a visual, but meaningless goal. All for the sake of trying to push esports.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in PvP

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

Its gotten the reverse effect for me, I used to only PVE because unranked sucked. But I’m into diamond now, I both want the backpack and find it fun because people actually try.

in PvP

Posted by: Sayak.6473

Sayak.6473

Lets remove sPvP.

in PvP

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Because ANets wants ESports. At this point people really don’t care about the leagues, I see more ambers and emeralds in the lobby and out in PvE than any thing else. At this point last season you hardly saw an amber. I my self am hardly playing in the league, I’m playing 1-2 games a day. Just slowly working my way out of emerald as I just need to do that to get my wings and I’m done with the league forever. I could not care less about my rank, and will be back to playing Unranked for fun and friendly games. Unless they come up with a system that truly shows how good a player is the leagues are a big fail.

Why? Because the pip system favors in what order you get your pips over your win/loss/games played ratio. 2 players could have the same win/loss/games played but have 2 ver different pip scores, all because of how there wins came to them.

But it’s never going to change, ANet reinvented the wheel. And they will never change it.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in PvP

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

Let’s not. Leagues give you an incentive to even bother in the first place. The old leaderboards sure as hell did not. Rewards ain’t got nothing to with it, they’re terrible anyway. No one does PvP for rewards.

In Addition to the MMR based leaderboard you can return the automatic tournaments which had really good rewards and gave titles like “Legend of the Arena”.

in PvP

Posted by: Agyaggalamb.4796

Agyaggalamb.4796

The pip system is horrible. Period. Division threshold jumps should be removed from the achievement, and tickets should be awarded per win. So progress would be possible without winstreaks.

With the current state of pvp, pushing esports is a long shot. This is too much different from GW1 PvP where what was happening was clear. As opposed to this mess, where people (me included, I admit) die in seconds, and then giggle about what the kitten happened. This is not just a git gud issue. It’s an issue of forcing PvE mechanics to PvP.

in PvP

Sorel.4870

Lets remove sPvP.

Sure dude. GW2 is very, very, very far from the esport dream, but the viewership of the weekly tournaments has been multiplied by five since the Go4 last year, so Anet has no reason to remove an aspect of the game that the players obviously like.

in PvP

Sorel.4870

With the current state of pvp, pushing esports is a long shot. This is too much different from GW1 PvP where what was happening was clear.

This is completely anachronistic. The word “esport” didn’t even exist back in the days, and even if GW1 was a recent game with better graphics and a better engine, it would still not be an esport. Because MMOs are not esports, and because the number of viewers is directly linked to the number of people playing the game.

Again, the problem with GW2 as an esport is not that people playing the game are not interested in watching it. An important (and growing) portion of the community is watching the Pro League. It is that the game is three years old, that it is an MMO, and that the player base, even if it grew bigger with the free-to-play model, is still super small compared to the esport giants!

in PvP

Posted by: Agyaggalamb.4796

Agyaggalamb.4796

I beg to differ. The word may not have been “invented” yet, but I think GW1 PvP had quite a big influence on the thing that is now called esports. And their formula was good that time.

Apart from that, you are right.

in PvP

Posted by: Aktium.9506

Aktium.9506

In Addition to the MMR based leaderboard you can return the automatic tournaments which had really good rewards and gave titles like “Legend of the Arena”.

Either I’m stupid and that’s meant to be tongue-in-cheek or you misunderstood me. The old leaderboards were terrible, the paids system were terrible, the rewards were terrible. Anyone who says it was better back then has a major case of rose-tinted glasses. People can’t stand the queue times we have today, but they never suffered through the awfulness that was the old paids where the queue times were actually longer and you had to go through 3 matches before it was over. People are quick to say “[X] thing killed/is killing PvP!” But a return the ways of old would probably oust whatever playerbase of PvPers exist for good.

in PvP

Posted by: Wicked Rin.1972

Wicked Rin.1972

Bringing in random arena, Guild versus Guild and/or Hero’s Ascent would bring a raise to pvp. For the casual pvers, something similar to Fort Aspenwood, Jade Quarry and Alliance Battles.

in PvP

Posted by: Drakril.4058

Drakril.4058

Just go do the fractal grind and get their back piece… anyone in the game can achieve that. If you actually care to getgud then keep playing pvp. if you made it to ruby in each season you should already have the back-peice by now (got mine hitting diamond last season and I am a casual player). the leagues are not the issue… the issue is that people think they are entitled to get everything…even if they suck (just being honest).

in PvP

Posted by: bLind.6278

bLind.6278

Because some of us liked to be ranked based on skill.

Let me know when they implement a system that does that.

One foot out the door, yet again.

in PvP

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Just go do the fractal grind and get their back piece… anyone in the game can achieve that. If you actually care to getgud then keep playing pvp. if you made it to ruby in each season you should already have the back-peice by now (got mine hitting diamond last season and I am a casual player). the leagues are not the issue… the issue is that people think they are entitled to get everything…even if they suck (just being honest).

(For me, the fractals backpack is not as cool as the PvP backpack)

I dunno if you are telling me or not. I do not have any problems with being good enough to get the wings. My problem now is that I even though I have been Ruby/Diamond all seasons I didn’t buy the canisters things that you need to use in the MF to unlock next ascension aschievement so I have to win another 100 matches and earn alot of rank points. (But that is my own fault and off topic).

Anyway, why I made this topic is becouse there are alot of players who are actually good and are stuck in a Win one, lose one loop so even if they get 50 matches won out of 100 they still havent advanced one tier but other players gets 10 wins, one loss, another 10 wins, one loss, 10 wins, 20 loss, 10 wins, 28 losses and another 10 wins… Do you know what Division this player ends up in if it went from 0?

And then there is the matchmaking trying to lessen the waiting time for you so you will end up in a really bad team and there is no chance in the world to win.

And there is alot more reasons for people to be angry, and in the game people do not always blame Anet, they rather blame other players for being less good than others. People starts to attack eachother in chat more than even bother to play the game, some people AFK’s just becouse someone doesn’t wan’t to change class or does not play meta.

I have done my share of reporting and blocking too and I do not like to do it.

The forums are filled with opinions on the matchmaking and on the League system and people are angry with eachother alot. I think it is worse than ever… I remember when GW2 was the most helpfull community, I rarely see anyone giving good pointers in the game anymore. People just expect other people to know everything and be the best. Up to ruby, if you are lucky you can grind your way there without having to be any good.

Why have a system that let’s less good players advance to the 3rd highest division when we could just have a system that is more casual friendly to those who want’s stuff and more Pro to the ones who wanna go pro? (No skins, no stats, nothing that can be used in PvE, something that show other PvPers that you are Pro and you have earned it from being Pro)

I think I am very bad at explaining myself but I hope you get what I mean.

in PvP

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

As much as it pains me to say, these leagues have failed.

Leagues were just badly implemented from the beginning. You had no division loss, you still allowed premade teams vs solo players, and the matchmaking system was mixed in with all the bad implementation.

You NEED complete tier and division loss so players are placed where they BELONG. Yes, all the way down to Amber. If players keep losing games, they should be punished and sent to lower divisions. Or else, this becomes a grind-based ladder. You NEED separate solo and team queues so they don’t interfere with and allow the players to exploit the matchmaking system. You NEED these things for a fair and competitive atmosphere and game!

It’s amazing. It’s been 3 seasons, and we still get the SAME results = players grind for the backpack and exploit MM system and premades to do so!

I’ve played all 3 seasons: Ruby, Ruby and Sapp respectively and I see this system much more clearly than I did before. Gw2 has improved since the spring update, wvw is looking good, pve has always been fun, but pvp STILL continues to be the weakest link.

in PvP

Posted by: Ninski.5680

Ninski.5680

If you dont like the leagues dont play ranked. Nobody is forcing you to. I enjoy the league system just for the sake of progression. But I’ve also easily gotten legendary every season, so 99% of this forum wont agree with me.

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

Y’all are missing a basic point. Many of the players currently in PvP are there at least in part to win the wings.

As it is, a fairly high percentage will be unable to make it. This is an issue because ANET promised that anyone could earn the wings.

How willing do you think those players will be to come back next time after the hammering with the current matchmaking and no reward?

This isn’t mixed martial arts.. it’s a game that people are paying to play. It’s time to realize that satisfying the egos of a few by being cruel to the majority is not a good plan.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Ohoni.6057

A Legendary Backpack is a PvE item. PvPers have no use for stats. A simple PvP exclusive skin and an actual ranking system would of been much better.

You do understand that it’s the skin that players are after, not the stats, right?

done by now.”

in PvP

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

You can make them next year there’s no time limit on the backpiece, it’ll just cost a bit more next year. You can keep grinding it out and eventually get it.

ANet hasn’t broken their promise here.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

in PvP

EdgarMTanaka.7291

If you dont like the leagues dont play ranked. Nobody is forcing you to. I enjoy the league system just for the sake of progression. But I’ve also easily gotten legendary every season, so 99% of this forum wont agree with me.

I love it how some people just read the OP and missunderstands it. Please read the other posts I have made on this topic and then reply please.
Also, why would I want to not play the leagues? It it the only way for me to aquire the backpack.

in PvP

Shaogin.2679

You do understand that it’s the skin that players are after, not the stats, right?

Call it a hunch, but I am willing to bet that the majority of people either a) want it because it is a legendary backpiece, or b) want it to show everyone they have esport skillz. I’m sure there are some people that like the skin, but if we come back to reality I think we could all agree that if it was just a skin and not a legendary backpiece then there would be a lot less people going after it.

Yes, it is a PvE item meant to draw PvE players to sPvP. Deny it however you like, doesn’t make it any less true.

Also, that thing is just plain ugly. I mean come on. You kill a bunch of people and it’s like, “Grats, here are your fairy wings!” Yay……………not.

Gate of Madness

in PvP

Ohoni.6057

Call it a hunch, but I am willing to bet that the majority of people either a) want it because it is a legendary backpiece, or b) want it to show everyone they have esport skillz.

Nope. It fails entirely at the latter, for obvious reasons, and as for the former, the stats are no different than Ascended packs, which are easy enough to come by. If people are going for it, they want the skin. Offering “just a skin” is functionally zero difference from the current option.

but if we come back to reality I think we could all agree that if it was just a skin and not a legendary backpiece then there would be a lot less people going after it.

Nope. Exact same number of people.

Yes, it is a PvE item meant to draw PvE players to sPvP. Deny it however you like, doesn’t make it any less true.

Oh, it totally is, no denying that, just that they’re coming for the skin.

Also, that thing is just plain ugly. I mean come on. You kill a bunch of people and it’s like, “Grats, here are your fairy wings!” Yay……………not.

Subjective. I’ve spent some 60+ hours of living hell in defiance of your opinion on that.

done by now.”

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

No actually the parts of the wings expire at the end of Season 4. So, the promise has been very much broken, shattered and the shards ground to dust.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Ramoth.9064

Call it a hunch, but I am willing to bet that the majority of people either a) want it because it is a legendary backpiece, or b) want it to show everyone they have esport skillz.

Nope. It fails entirely at the latter, for obvious reasons, and as for the former, the stats are no different than Ascended packs, which are easy enough to come by. If people are going for it, they want the skin. Offering “just a skin” is functionally zero difference from the current option.

but if we come back to reality I think we could all agree that if it was just a skin and not a legendary backpiece then there would be a lot less people going after it.

Nope. Exact same number of people.

Oh, it totally is, no denying that, just that they’re coming for the skin.

Subjective. I’ve spent some 60+ hours of living hell in defiance of your opinion on that.

Wrong. I want a legendary backpack to swap stats for different raid toons. Much better than wasting mag shards for each individual Commander’s/Vipers/Sinister backpacks. The skin is ugly.

in PvP

Posted by: Sekai.2987

Sekai.2987

I bother because in legendary div ppl at least try to win, ofc there are still bad players but not as bad as in lower divisons, its incredible what kind of stupid and useless kitten the people in lower divisions play, these people play for fun , not for the win. Since leagues started i have spend more time then ever in pvp. And even though i got that legendary backpack and done all achivments last season, i will still play and see how many times i can repeat legendary div this season.

The amount of toxic players is the same as before, i guess you didnt play that much pvp before the leagues, the funny thing is that before it didnt even matter if you win or lose because the leaderboard was crap anyway and you would get nothing from winning and STILL people behaved like kittens if they lost, or even if they won “gg ez noobs” was a thing i saw a few times.

And no it should be not achivable for everyone thorugh grind, its okay if not everyone can get the backpack, i will never get the legendary fractal backpack and that is fine.

I really hope that next season we dont get another legendary item, an exklusive pvp skin would be much better and i guess much less pve players will then even bother with pvp.

in PvP

Ohoni.6057

Wrong. I want a legendary backpack to swap stats for different raid toons.

You might.

I guarantee you that most don’t.

done by now.”

in PvP

Ramoth.9064

You might.

Don’t guarantee something you can’t prove please.

in PvP

Posted by: mazut.4296

mazut.4296

Leagues are fun. It gives people a reason to try their best. Season 3 on my opinion is the best we had: I have played 60 games, I’m in ruby, where I probably belong. Sindrener, in the same number of games, made it lo legendary. In nearly every game I lose, my team and I could have played better and win the match, but lost because of mistakes. Let the ragers rage: for players that aren’t delusional about their own skill level, leagues have mostly positive aspects. The only thing I dislike are the long queues in unranked, that basically force me to only play builds I’m already good at, but hey, it means that people enjoy ranked, so who amI to complain?

How can you try your best, when the next game, after you win is the matchmaking that buries you. How is this stimulating? How is putting 3-4 players from a lower division a stimulant for going ahead? Unless you have some unsound impulse that push you or you are just a masochist…

in PvP

Posted by: Jourdelune.7456

Jourdelune.7456

I completely agree.

I have made this thread a while back:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Skill-based-or-Grind-based-rank-system/first#post6098296

To summarize:

1- Ranking should be done skill based, aka old leaderboard stats.
2- Ranking should be show in game, you are rank 125 (where 1 is top) then show it.
3- Reward should not be tied to ranking. The grind need can be done into a quest like something. So everyone who put effort but are not the best could have it.
4- Reward should be good for PVP players. So, pvp exclusive skins would be better and many serious PvX person (Tabarnacos number 1 AA) could go hunt those skins (and he is a really great pvp player).

Pvp players don’t play for grinding rewards, but to get better. Having a ranking that reflect that is addictive to us.

Even if the ranking in the 2014 leaderboard could had been fine tune more, it was way better than what we have right now.

Dal Aï Lhama (Tempest), Dal Lahu Akbar (DH), Lord Dhal of Dharma (Scrapper) 12k+ spvp games.
Former Team Captain of ggwp (ESL weekly), GLHF (AG), MIST[CORE] spvp alliance guild.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

in PvP

Shaogin.2679

You might.

Don’t guarantee something you can’t prove please.

Told you Ohoni. But personal opinions aside, PvP players have 0 use for legendary stats, it is a PvE item meant to draw in PvE players, if it was just a PvP item it would of been a skin mich like the Balthazar backpiece. Sorry if you disagree with logic buddy.

Gate of Madness

in PvP

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

I actually thought leaderboards were better.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

in PvP

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I agree, get rid of leagues after year of ascension is over. Pointless and toxic feature anet will never get right.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in PvP

Posted by: Renkencen.6127

Renkencen.6127

I agreed. I NEVER have a competitive heart nor do I like the idea of being better or worse to someone else if had to fight face to face.

Yes I’m only doing it for the backpack/ achievement but from my experience, trying to gather those wins with a RNG team is random at best (I was in a team of 4 necros and the other team had guardians and warriors?).

Sure I admit, I am doing alot better this season but only because I’m using those meta builds so yearh… real skills coming from my part!

in PvP

JTGuevara.9018

I agree, get rid of leagues after year of ascension is over. Pointless and toxic feature anet will never get right.

I’m going to have to agree. Get rid of leagues and bring back the leaderboards!

I see some people here trash leaderboards, calling them a grind-fest, but guess what? So are leagues! Plus, matches in the old leaderboard system were MUCH better.

in PvP

Posted by: Shiyo.3578

Shiyo.3578

I just don’t like how winning/losing is all that matters for getting rewards or progressing.

I could try my heart out, play the game of my life, consistently kill the enemy team 2vs1 and 2vs3 all game long, but because my teammates are MUCH worse than the enemy team, I lose a pip, get a loss, and gain nothing. Meanwhile the enemy that I was destroying by myself gets rewards, and a pip.

That isn’t ok. You cannot solo win games no matter how hard you try and how well you play sometimes, because it’s a TEAM based game. As long as you did REALLY well yourself, high score, close game, whatever, you should be rewarded.

PvP right now is not rewarding because it suffers from the same problem every other team base game has – your only way of progressing is WINNING, but winning is not something a SINGLE person can do in a TEAM based game.

I didn’t play season1, but it seemed like a great idea that you’d win a pip if a game was close(?). Much better than this current system.

I just want to feel rewarded for playing well and doing well in the game, and not soley based on if I win or lose, when winning a game is not something someone can single-handedly do themselves all the time.

edit:
I forgot to add onto this:

I can be stuck in a league I don’t belong in unless I grind forever just because of how the pip system works. Any player could, honetsly. They won’t get enemies equal to them in skill or teammates equal to them in skill until they get lucky or grind out hundreds of games to finally gain pips so they can be placed in a proper bracket.

That isn’t good design.

(edited by Shiyo.3578)

in PvP

Posted by: bLind.6278

bLind.6278

Anet has created the single worst gaming experience I’ve had in over 25 years of gaming. Over 15 years of competitive PvP. I have literally NEVER seen a more poorly designed game, a more poorly designed competitive system – in my ENTIRE life.

I hope Anet is ashamed. I’m ashamed for them.

One foot out the door, yet again.

in PvP

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

Clear this up:

• Guild Team League Boards are not the problem.
  • PIP progression and division segregation influencing match making as a priority before the actual MMR algorithm is the problem.
I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.

in PvP

JTGuevara.9018

Incentive? Yes! The shiny backpack! That shiny backback is the SOLE reason the leagues even have a shred of relevance. If not for that backpack, these leagues are DEAD.

The leaderboards may have been a grind, but that was because of the way they calculated wins/losses. The matches were much, much better.