Let's talk about balancing Dragonhunter!

in PvP

Posted by: DrDivine.5378

DrDivine.5378

I’ll be the first to say I am not a guardian main, I don’t want the profession nerfed into the ground, but similar to condi mesmers at the june patch, it’s a simple approach, but why exactly is Dragonhunter so strong?

The burst of the traps is very unpredictable and the damage output is near fatal. The low cooldowns compliment what meditations bring since guardian already has good healing and access to blocks. because of this, Dragonhunter is not only very easy to play, but the results are fantastic in tpvp.

I have a friend who mostly does PVE, plays a few games every month but she is not competitive by any means. She mains thief, I gave her the DH build because I wanted one on my team and she completely destroyed the fights at mid and home. Highest score, most kills, this is in the hands of a player who shouldn’t know what she is doing that well.

in PvP

Posted by: RaNoGa.6348

RaNoGa.6348

it has already gotten 3 nerfs, anymore and people wont use it

Feel free to check out my Guardian play at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWc0xVUYkiWwuS8hRkBgMGQ

in PvP

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

I think that’s the point of the whine post.

You’ll get used to being at the top of the chop list though.

Welcome to the position thieves and mesmer’s have been in for years.

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

in PvP

Posted by: Doon.2364

Doon.2364

Becareful of what you ask for. When Anet nerf things, they tend to destroy builds. Players will always use the best builds. If it’s not Dragonhunter, it’ll be Burn Meditation Guardian again. I hate to see classes get nerfed to the point that players switch their main, like what we are seeing with Warriors. Players complain about Hambow, then adrenaline nerfed happen, then shoutbow, another nerf to shouts, then it was rampage warrior complaints, well that’s nerfed too. Now warriors got nothing left. That’s why I don’t support nerfs, I want them to buff other professions and give them means to counter. I rather all professions have many viable builds to use, like mesmers do.

Arena should focus on making must-have traits baselines so that it free up more build diversity.

in PvP

Posted by: emkelly.2371

emkelly.2371

1: Thieves have always been top tier duelers. their job has always been to seek out and quickly down their opponent and get away. Every mechanic of the thief is based around either killing or avoiding combat. it is a job they do exceedingly well. WvW or PVP Thieves have alswayse been amazing. never the most powerful, but always well taken care of. (by that I mean they have had the needed attention given to both their underpowered and over powered abilities.)

2: Mesmers have always been meant to cause confusion on the battle field. Again they do this very well. In PVP their confusion grants them survivability. InWvW they support a zerg with portals, speed, veil, and can be the deciding factor for caping a keep or tower. Mesmers have always been high tier classes.

The only reason you think people are making whine posts about guardians is that you want them to stay on top. Look, enjoy DH being so powerful now. i get it. i have one as well. but at least admit when your class needs a nerf, and when other classes are too weak. Otherwise the game will die a pitiful death because the players concerns are not heeded.

in PvP

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

Increase procession of blades CD by 10s and nerf damage by 20%. Let there be a delay between tossing the chain and pulling it so you have a chance to break it if they try pulling you from max range.

/thread

in PvP

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

1: Thieves have always been top tier duelers. their job has always been to seek out and quickly down their opponent and get away. Every mechanic of the thief is based around either killing or avoiding combat. it is a job they do exceedingly well. WvW or PVP Thieves have alswayse been amazing. never the most powerful, but always well taken care of. (by that I mean they have had the needed attention given to both their underpowered and over powered abilities.)

Thieves are not top tier duelers, and haven’t been since the trait revamp. That patch scaled the power level of every other class significantly and barely moved thieves.

If you are dying to a thief in a 1v1 fight right now, and you are not also a thief, you are playing significantly worse than the thief.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

The problem isn’t traps. It’s that DH can build for heavy damage while having an obscene amount of utility and survivability which doesn’t take much effort to use and has limited counter-play. If trap-spam DH died as fast as it killed people, it wouldn’t be more than an annoying glass cannon.

Things which need addressed:

• [Bug] Traps sometimes are invisible once they trigger.
  • Wings of Resolve (F2) is an almost 4,000 heal (with 0 healing power) on a 30s cooldown (less with Virtues specialization). It’s almost as good as some heal slot skills. This value needs reduced significantly or the cooldown increased. Remember that Renewed Focus resets it. For reference, the core is 1625 on a 50s CD.
  • Spear of Justice (F1) is 1200 range, 0.25s cast and almost instant flight (so not realistically avoidable) and unblockable. That was fine originally, but with the addition of the chain ability, you can use it to pull from 1200 range – usually into a pile of traps. That style of CC with little counter-play is terrible for the game. The general idea of a pull into traps is good.
  • Shield of Courage blocks attacks from a very large angle, so it’s very difficult to hit them in melee.
  • Pure of Sight grants an unconditional 7% damage bonus inside 600 range. Similar traits only grant a damage bonus conditionally. This was a knee-jerk reaction to the old version of 10% at over 600 yards, which didn’t fit as a minor trait.
  • Boons on trap placement were overkill, especially with such long durations. Many didn’t need them.
  • Heavy Light is terribly designed, giving DH too much CC against melee. Since it’s a proc, dodging attacks only delays it. It should be tied to a specific ability, something guardians have been saying since BWE1.
Kirrena Rosenkreutz

(edited by Exedore.6320)

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

The problem isn’t traps. It’s that DH can build for heavy damage while having an obscene amount of utility and survivability which doesn’t take much effort to use and has limited counter-play. If trap-spam DH died as fast as it killed people, it wouldn’t be more than an annoying glass cannon.

• Wings of Resolve (F2) is an almost 4,000 heal (with 0 healing power) on a 30s cooldown (less with Virtues specialization). It’s almost as good as some heal slot skills. This value needs reduced significantly or the cooldown increased. Remember that Renewed Focus resets it. For reference, the core is 1625 on a 50s CD.
  • Spear of Justice (F1) is 1200 range, 0.25s cast and almost instant flight (so not realistically avoidable) and unblockable. That was fine originally, but with the addition of the chain ability, you can use it to pull from 1200 range – usually into a pile of traps. That style of CC with little counter-play is terrible for the game. The general idea of a pull into traps is good.
  • Shield of Courage blocks attacks from a very large angle, so it’s very difficult to hit them in melee.
  • Pure of Sight grants an unconditional 7% damage bonus inside 600 range. Similar traits only grant a damage bonus conditionally. This was a knee-jerk reaction to the old version of 10% at over 600 yards, which didn’t fit as a minor trait.
  • Boons on trap placement were overkill, especially with such long durations. Many didn’t need them.
  • Heavy Light is terribly designed, giving DH too much CC against melee. Since it’s a proc, dodging attacks only delays it. It should be tied to a specific ability, something guardians have been saying since BWE1.

It’s sad that random forum ppl can analyse accurately these classes and mechanics so effortlessly.. makes be wonder about the testers that the devs are using…

+1 anyway… Please PLEASE don’t sit on this for a year guys..

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Posted by: Derm.4932

Derm.4932

Remove daze from traps. Remove initial damage from test of faith. Reduce CC duration of Maw from 6 to 4 seconds. Remove boons from baseline. New trap trait reduces CD and gives back the boons that were once baseline. This should be enough. No reason to nerf virtues/lb; that’ll gut the rest of the class.

in PvP

Posted by: WuGzaGenius.5684

WuGzaGenius.5684

Change the daze to weakness / cripple. Daze on a trap that already does a kitten ton of damage is questionable design.

in PvP

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

So why didn’t you tried it too? Maybe she’s better than you in pvp.

DH is OP to scrub ppl who don’t know to pvp very well.

in PvP

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

2: Mesmers have always been meant to cause confusion on the battle field. Again they do this very well. In PVP their confusion grants them survivability. InWvW they support a zerg with portals, speed, veil, and can be the deciding factor for caping a keep or tower. Mesmers have always been high tier classes.

The only reason you think people are making whine posts about guardians is that you want them to stay on top. Look, enjoy DH being so powerful now. i get it. i have one as well. but at least admit when your class needs a nerf, and when other classes are too weak. Otherwise the game will die a pitiful death because the players concerns are not heeded.

Go back to elementary and learn to read.

No where did I say I wan’t DH to be on top, in fact I really don’t care if they were deleted tonight from a random patch.

Your assessment on thieves is wrong or you’re bad.

Your assessment on mesmer is ..well I honestly can’t comment since it’s full of half truths and wvw references which I honestly don’t care about. ( nor do i feel like dissecting that textual vomit since it’s mostly irrelevant)

What I did say was this DH is in the same position mesmer and thief has been in.
Which is ( since you are probably one of the people crying and/or have cried about the professions that killed you instead of trying to get better) on the QQ radar.

Thief and Mesmer have been QQ’d about for years.
Very recently have guardians been in that position and I think a lot of them don’t know what to do.
So I gave the DH mains a pat on the back( maybe it was too vague for most peoples reading comprehension…..I’m not apologizing) and told them to enjoy their spot on the chopping board in the corner that the devs visit to ground pound a profession.

Your long winded post was unnecessary, and neither was your kitten comment about me playing DH as a main.
I play the other profession that capitalizes on human stupidity

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

in PvP

Posted by: tico.9814

tico.9814

Becareful of what you ask for. When Anet nerf things, they tend to destroy builds. Players will always use the best builds. If it’s not Dragonhunter, it’ll be Burn Meditation Guardian again. I hate to see classes get nerfed to the point that players switch their main, like what we are seeing with Warriors. Players complain about Hambow, then adrenaline nerfed happen, then shoutbow, another nerf to shouts, then it was rampage warrior complaints, well that’s nerfed too. Now warriors got nothing left. That’s why I don’t support nerfs, I want them to buff other professions and give them means to counter. I rather all professions have many viable builds to use, like mesmers do.

Arena should focus on making must-have traits baselines so that it free up more build diversity.

I totally agree, most nerfs from anet ended up destroying builds, here’s another one the turret engie nerf and guess who had problems with turret engies yes the same players you see here complanining about DH, none of the top players had problems with turret engies it was the same casual crowd making the noise, at the end anet took action and destroyed another build.

(edited by tico.9814)

in PvP

Posted by: epouvante.7392

epouvante.7392

Totally agree, i am not playing Dh but the nerf is not the way. If guard enjoy Dh is fine. anet has to work on the others elite spe to balance all the game then people will enjoy too their respective elite.

in PvP

Posted by: deception.7239

deception.7239

DH is very balanced in my opinion, there are a lot of counterplays to the class, in most classes it is just a pub stomper.

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

Totally agree, i am not playing Dh but the nerf is not the way. If guard enjoy Dh is fine. anet has to work on the others elite spe to balance all the game then people will enjoy too their respective elite.

This just leads to power creep (not a huge problem unilaterally) but more importantly a saturation of QoL skills/traits in the game.

In order to establish balance its better to nerf cooldowns and establish fair counterplay to QoL mechanics, not simply add to the QoL (Quality of Life) pile indefinitely. This just leads us to the stage we’re almost at, where players mearly need to endlessly cycle through mitigation and sustain skills, wearing each other out through sustain attacks as a high risk dps strategy is too frequently negated by the unpredictable hard mitigation players are cycling through (evade frames are a prime offender here on other classes, but guards look like one of the worst as guard already had a substantial amount without new virtues).

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

DH is not op, its in a good spot right now and I mean it positive way. Seems really balanced. But pvp is full of bad players. Half of my playing time I was asked how can I stealth and that I am hacker.

Some classes just need to be buffed, like warriors, they are so bad it hurts, I feel srry for every warrior that I killed.

Chronos are almost fine, maybe some tuning.
Scrappers, well thats tough call, I have seen some pretty good ones that I lost and pretty bad ones.
Reapers are great in good hands, but ppl don’t know to play well.
Druid tanks/healers are impossible to kill solo or even 2v1. There are good dps druids out there.
DD…well.,…thare are good ones and lots of bad ones.
Heralds are excellent class, ppl are getting good at it every minute.
Tempests, well, some healer types are impossible to kill solo.

Only thing I want to be balanced are VISUALS, they are freaking all over the place, especially traps, when there are 3,4 DH’s I cant seem to recognize which is my trap and which are theirs. They need to make new ones or smaller ones or just color them like blue for allied and red for enemies.

in PvP

Posted by: Firebird.8324

Firebird.8324

Bunker guard and medi guard are both trash after expac, they nerf DH anymore and guardian will be worse than warrior.

Over Powered Necro [dk] (Bird of Fire)
One spam to rule them all!
Mains Power Necro for team Radioactive[dk]

in PvP

Posted by: Gabriell.4856

Gabriell.4856

I am of a totally different opinion. DH level of utility, sustain, and dps is just unhealthy for the game. Like how thief was back at release going around doing thier mug+cnd+bs combo for insta down. If we were to buff other classes to bring underperforming classes/specs to DH level, you would have a huge power creep – not like there isn’t one now with HOT.

in PvP

DrDivine.5378

I am of a totally different opinion. DH level of utility, sustain, and dps is just unhealthy for the game. Like how thief was back at release going around doing thier mug+cnd+bs combo for insta down. If we were to buff other classes to bring underperforming classes/specs to DH level, you would have a huge power creep – not like there isn’t one now with HOT.

This is why I use the term “balance” and not nerf, as I do not want dragonhunter to become uesless. There have been times where I have beaten dragonhunters 1v1, but I don’t feel like they’re scaling as well.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve fought reapers, scrappers, herals, druids, they’re all annoying lol, but I’ve never felt I was at a disadvantage. There’s a lot of times where I’ll be running into an invisible wall, usually dodgerolling is the best option and then you find out you’re running and bouncing off of nothing.

Perhaps if the graphic on some of the barriers were more noticeable, it could just be me, but I’m running into invisible barriers a lot, and Ifeel that’s where a lot of the unpredictability comes from. I think the dragonhunter mains would be fine with that instead of a damage nerf.

in PvP

Posted by: eleshazar.6902

eleshazar.6902

I’ll admit I’ve been a guard main for 3 years now. In my opinion there are two things that could be changed about DH to tone it down in PvP without destroying it.

1) Get rid of trapper runes. These runes never should have been added to PvP, and are a big source of the problem with this build. Taking these away doesn’t kill DH, but makes this build a lot less scary.

2) Take off the 1 second daze on adept trait. This is another big complaint people have. And in PvP I get it. CC is hard to deal with, and getting hit by CC en masse is no fun. Taking that away and giving a guard +25% movement speed instead would make both sides extremely happy.

3) (Optional) Make test of faith have a 1/4 second cast time. Instead of it being insta-cast, make it have a short cast time which gives players a tad bit of time to react. When a trap can be insta cast while channeling True Shot, or using WW it is not exactly fair.

The main thing is don’t just take the typical nerf approach and destroy dmg and cds of abilities. That’s how you destroy a build. Just take the things that make it really hard to deal with and shave those off. Plus adding the +25% movement as compensation would make every guard think the nerf is a buff.

All professions level 80| Champion Paragon, Phantom, Genius
Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] | Rank 80

in PvP

Posted by: Drennon.7190

Drennon.7190

Thread of pointless. People want it gutted, not balanced .

Baer

in PvP

Posted by: Arcaedus.7290

Arcaedus.7290

After many hours of playing DH in both pvp and WvW (roaming), there are only two things which I perceive to be overpowered:

-True shot: the combination of being one of the single hardest hitting weapon skills in the game AND having such a short cool down, makes this skill extraordinarily powerful and has won me matchups that I shouldn’t have won. The best way to nerf this without gutting it is to increase the cool-down to 6 seconds. This would put true-shot in a much better spot in my opinion. It needs to maintain it’s position as a mini-killshot for anyone to want to take longbow as a weapon, so it’s high damage should be maintained, but it should have a higher cooldown.

-Test of Faith: The combination of an instant-cast trap with high base damage that is also unblockable, and can daze when traited makes for far too strong of a utility with the right build. The best nerf to this trap would be to either add a cast time, or add an arming time (would have to be universal to all traps). As is, this skill is essentially a point-blank aoe bomb. It should instead be an area control that punishes the clumsy/unware (more damage should be tacked on to crossing the barrier) like traps were intended to be, rather than an additional burst tacked onto a medi build.

There are other issues which are very minor in my opinion, but balancing DH should focus on these two skills first and foremost. If small changes like I mentioned were made it would balance the class without gutting it.

in PvP

DrDivine.5378

After many hours of playing DH in both pvp and WvW (roaming), there are only two things which I perceive to be overpowered:

-True shot: the combination of being one of the single hardest hitting weapon skills in the game AND having such a short cool down, makes this skill extraordinarily powerful and has won me matchups that I shouldn’t have won. The best way to nerf this without gutting it is to increase the cool-down to 6 seconds. This would put true-shot in a much better spot in my opinion. It needs to maintain it’s position as a mini-killshot for anyone to want to take longbow as a weapon, so it’s high damage should be maintained, but it should have a higher cooldown.

-Test of Faith: The combination of an instant-cast trap with high base damage that is also unblockable, and can daze when traited makes for far too strong of a utility with the right build. The best nerf to this trap would be to either add a cast time, or add an arming time (would have to be universal to all traps). As is, this skill is essentially a point-blank aoe bomb. It should instead be an area control that punishes the clumsy/unware (more damage should be tacked on to crossing the barrier) like traps were intended to be, rather than an additional burst tacked onto a medi build.

There are other issues which are very minor in my opinion, but balancing DH should focus on these two skills first and foremost. If small changes like I mentioned were made it would balance the class without gutting it.

I’m glad that Dragonhunter is good, I want it to be good, but I also think a lot of people agree on that there is something off about what they’re capable of.

Metabattle has not yet found a solid counter to it, for example, Herald is weak to conditions despite it’s heavy damage output. Dragonhunter can be weak to conditions, but the damage is enough to make anyone play defensively and they can pop a virtue or block. I have one character that can survive a trap burst effectively (my chronomancer) and he is a bunker.

in PvP

Posted by: Arcaedus.7290

Arcaedus.7290

@DrDivine: it’s not so much an issue of what they are capable of, but rather how powerful individual skills are. Is trap damage really that bad? Procession of blades is really the only other dps utility trap. If you manage to get hit by all of that, well then you probably deserve it. Dragon’s maw, the elite, does a ton of damage, but it has a long cool down and has a target limit to it. DH’s dps culprit is Test of Faith and to a degree, longbow #2.

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

How about no?

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

Thread of pointless. People want it gutted, not balanced .

Exactly. We can only hope if anet does do nerfs, they do what they have done so far and done so incrementally.

in PvP

Posted by: XxsdgxX.8109

XxsdgxX.8109

I’ll admit I’ve been a guard main for 3 years now. In my opinion there are two things that could be changed about DH to tone it down in PvP without destroying it.

1) Get rid of trapper runes. These runes never should have been added to PvP, and are a big source of the problem with this build. Taking these away doesn’t kill DH, but makes this build a lot less scary.

2) Take off the 1 second daze on adept trait. This is another big complaint people have. And in PvP I get it. CC is hard to deal with, and getting hit by CC en masse is no fun. Taking that away and giving a guard +25% movement speed instead would make both sides extremely happy.

3) (Optional) Make test of faith have a 1/4 second cast time. Instead of it being insta-cast, make it have a short cast time which gives players a tad bit of time to react. When a trap can be insta cast while channeling True Shot, or using WW it is not exactly fair.

The main thing is don’t just take the typical nerf approach and destroy dmg and cds of abilities. That’s how you destroy a build. Just take the things that make it really hard to deal with and shave those off. Plus adding the +25% movement as compensation would make every guard think the nerf is a buff.

This is the kind of people we need on forums! Great post Id be all for this instead of mindless nerfs.

Stella Truth Seeker

in PvP

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Trap it somthink you place before fights with 2sec+ cast time but with fast cast time it can be used as meele attack and so easy to spam and as it is called a Trap it get some crazy bonus in damage and stuff as the dev team thought it would be easy to counter or somthink.

Trap need to have 2sec+ cast time so its not easy to use in fights but placed before fights like normal traps

in PvP

DrDivine.5378

@DrDivine: it’s not so much an issue of what they are capable of, but rather how powerful individual skills are. Is trap damage really that bad? Procession of blades is really the only other dps utility trap. If you manage to get hit by all of that, well then you probably deserve it. Dragon’s maw, the elite, does a ton of damage, but it has a long cool down and has a target limit to it. DH’s dps culprit is Test of Faith and to a degree, longbow #2.

Dragonhunter has a combination of attributes that make it a top threat, at range they can inflict heavy damage since the cooldowns are so short and have access to blocks and healing meditations. A lot of people waste dodge rolls evading the traps which still leave them open to longbow every six seconds.

Guardians have been able to do some great damage for awhile now whether its power meditation or burning, their weakness usually being that they’re pretty slow, have low health and not really any relaible ranged attack options. You can’t kite a dragonhunter for the most part since the damage is pretty reliable.

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

I think they should get a pet dragon to ride into battle on, there can be different types like fire, ice, acid etc. Or maybe the traps could auto proc dragons as well. Would be cool.

in PvP

Posted by: IsilZha.3608

IsilZha.3608

Have you actually tried playing one? Just for fun I swapped back to a burn guard and absolutely destroyed all the other DHs.

• Agreed -an obvious bug that should be fixed.
  • Completely ignores that it is no longer instant cast, has an extremely obvious tell, and is easily interrupted.
  • Chain can be broken with range – stability, dodging, etc. Pull has a long cool down.
  • Yes… and? If it’s just a 1v1 where you can’t get around them, then surely you can kite for 5s? (7s if traited.) Also has elite level cool down time.
  • Honestly this feels like a waste of a trait – why didn’t they just buff Longbow damage and do something actually interesting here?
  • I’m not sure what’s wrong with this? It was pretty widely agreed this was needed – it’s not like it’s excessive with the boons.
  • meh – very close range, 10s cool down, no direct control over using/not using it.
“To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.”