Lets be honest about the upcoming patch:

in PvP

Posted by: Defektive.7283

Defektive.7283

IMO: (to reiterate, this means In My Opinion)

The upcoming patch is going to be about as substantial as when they added in Temple.

We’re all going to get hyped up and ready for the second coming of Guild Wars 2 sPvP (which feels like the third time its been hyped that way). And then there’s going to be a frenzy on the forums when minor tweaks happen to classes that don’t really change much at all.

Because of this I plead to everyone: relax a little, get cozy in your chair and please don’t throw a fit when the changes go down.

From my side, I took a two month break – came back for a week and a half – and I’m already starting another two month break.

tPvP Warrior
http://www.twitch.tv/defektive
Team Blacklisted [Envy]

in PvP

Posted by: Xscyt.5463

Xscyt.5463

Couldn’t agree more… So many other games out there

Xscyt | Thief | Desolation [EU]

in PvP

Posted by: Valkyriez.6578

Valkyriez.6578

My break is starting its 3rd month now. I’ll probably be back in 12 months or so when some basic pvp features are implemented.

I was on twitch the other night, GW2 wasn’t in the top 30 games being streamed, less then 100 viewers.

Doesn’t bode well IMO.

- scrap tournaments
- implement a Solo/Duo que and Team que options with their own separate respective ladders with visible matchmaking and ladders
- Update the UI to be able to party or solo que into either mode from anywhere within the game
-scrap hot-join and the paid scene. Implement unranked/ranked versions of the solo/team que
-add some more game modes even if they are only unranked and conquest stays the ranked gamemode (2v2, 3v3 TDM, CTF like the snowball mayhem etc)
-find something that isn’t economy breaking to make money from glory or a token of some description that you only get from winning matches in either solo or team que. Ranked gives more tokens of course.
- in general, just make the game a bit more about competition and fun. It just isn’t sustainable in its current form. More players leave then come in.
- Dueling system, whatever it may be.

Lots of changes to be done, balance aside which I think needs some love class mechanic wise, not so much how much damage is done but how easy/hard some classes have it.

More weapons per class, more trait trees with more emphasis on trade off and more accessory options for greater stat variables.

Just my 2 cents, what do I know, I’m just another player that jumped ship after waiting forever and playing in every BWE and playing my kitten off for the first 20 ranks or so before I realised it was no longer about fun, it was about logging in.

in PvP

Posted by: Ayestes.1273

Ayestes.1273

Stream viewers likely won’t be around until a solo queue system is implemented, which will likely be awhile. Tournaments while enjoyable to watch for some (like me), are a little too slow and repetitive. That and the sPvP scene seems to be very small, which probably won’t be boosted until a solo queue system is implemented as well.

It is true though, that this is unlikely to be a dream patch for anyone. So if you simply don’t enjoy playing the game right now… don’t. It has no subscription, you can come back anytime and enjoy the changes then. I enjoy the game right now, but that doesn’t mean everyone else does and I acknowledge that.

Virydia – Hearld
Tirydia – Scrapper

in PvP

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

I know they said two pvp patchs where coming, one in feb. One in march. Im looking forward to the new map.

BUT, it would be nice to know more. Like are any balance changes coming with this patch.

People who want a solo Q, just have to accept that it is a more long term issue. Thats certainly not coming out on the feb patch, nor have they given any indication it would , nonetheless some people will act like it was promised and they got robbed.

in PvP

Ayestes.1273

Yes, it’s been said they have a short term solution for solo queue coming sometime. Then after that, assuming we still want a full fledged solo queue ranking system that would be something they work on. Basically, this is quite a bit away.

Virydia – Hearld
Tirydia – Scrapper

in PvP

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

I’d really like to see them do something with free tournaments.
When i dont have a team on it sucks to wait 30 mins for a Q pop.

in PvP

Posted by: Pharexys.4280

Pharexys.4280

Well some of us still hope a few good changes that are a “must” will come on 26, else yea like you say a break will come in place fo sure. Some might come back some might not, but we lost so many players till now, i dont want to see another round like this anymore.

Devils Inside for life.
www.devils-inside.org

in PvP

Ayestes.1273

I’d really like to see them do something with free tournaments.
When i dont have a team on it sucks to wait 30 mins for a Q pop.

I’ve been in the same boat for months. I lack a team, because I lack the ability to set a schedule. I have children and a career, but I love the PvP in this game.

I think the eventual plan is to have Frees be a 1v1 with matchmaking incorporated (that will push solo queuers in with other solo queuers most of the time), which would be an excellent shorthand thing to have. Eventually though, I still want a full ranked solo/duo queue.

Virydia – Hearld
Tirydia – Scrapper

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Really people shouldn’t use stream numbers as an indication of much. Its better people playing than watching the game. And there are technical issues with twitch which are effecting alot of the smaller unpartnered channels. Twitch seems to be struggling to cope with the massive demand from league stream/tournaments and this is making most of their other streams unwatchable for a large number of people.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

I’ve pretty much been sticking to PvE and WvW, ever since the game was released. I don’t expect this update to change that. Even if they mange to balance professions, sPvP still lacks so many other basic PvP things. Maybe sometime next year it will be in a good place. But for now, sPvP is just nice place to test new builds..

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in PvP

Posted by: Jacobin.8509

Jacobin.8509

Really people shouldn’t use stream numbers as an indication of much. Its better people playing than watching the game. And there are technical issues with twitch which are effecting alot of the smaller unpartnered channels. Twitch seems to be struggling to cope with the massive demand from league stream/tournaments and this is making most of their other streams unwatchable for a large number of people.

Yes but many other games experience the same issues, but consistently have much higher viewership like Smite for instance.

As for the patch, adding a new map is pretty much a smokescreen for not adding competitive features or structural changes that people are asking for. It also makes little sense when they are currently locking the paids map.

Spvp could have 50 of the tired and played out conquest maps, it won’t bring in anybody for more than a few days.

in PvP

Posted by: Sand Beagle.9867

Sand Beagle.9867

My break is starting its 3rd month now. I’ll probably be back in 12 months or so when some basic pvp features are implemented.

I was on twitch the other night, GW2 wasn’t in the top 30 games being streamed, less then 100 viewers.

Doesn’t bode well IMO.

- scrap tournaments
- implement a Solo/Duo que and Team que options with their own separate respective ladders with visible matchmaking and ladders
- Update the UI to be able to party or solo que into either mode from anywhere within the game
-scrap hot-join and the paid scene. Implement unranked/ranked versions of the solo/team que
-add some more game modes even if they are only unranked and conquest stays the ranked gamemode (2v2, 3v3 TDM, CTF like the snowball mayhem etc)
-find something that isn’t economy breaking to make money from glory or a token of some description that you only get from winning matches in either solo or team que. Ranked gives more tokens of course.
- in general, just make the game a bit more about competition and fun. It just isn’t sustainable in its current form. More players leave then come in.
- Dueling system, whatever it may be.

Lots of changes to be done, balance aside which I think needs some love class mechanic wise, not so much how much damage is done but how easy/hard some classes have it.

More weapons per class, more trait trees with more emphasis on trade off and more accessory options for greater stat variables.

Just my 2 cents, what do I know, I’m just another player that jumped ship after waiting forever and playing in every BWE and playing my kitten off for the first 20 ranks or so before I realised it was no longer about fun, it was about logging in.

I feel the same way, unfortunately.

in PvP

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

Yes but many other games experience the same issues, but consistently have much higher viewership like Smite for instance.

As for the patch, adding a new map is pretty much a smokescreen for not adding competitive features or structural changes that people are asking for. It also makes little sense when they are currently locking the paids map.

Spvp could have 50 of the tired and played out conquest maps, it won’t bring in anybody for more than a few days.

Adding a new map makes plenty of sense to me. It helps break the monotomy by giving you a new setting and a variant of the experience so it doesn’t feel as routine.
Or to put it in other words, would the game be better off if every map but Khylo did not exist and that’s all there ever was to play from beta to now? It would be so repetitive :o just visually speaking let alone gameplay.

I think like they said before when Temple came out, creating maps does not require a lot of people so they can do it in their spare time. To that end I’m some what disappointed we don’t have 1 or 2 more maps not coming out with Spirit.
Found myself not skipping Capricorn as of late just to have a change of pace.

Though I still feel improving their features is important, wouldn’t call it a smokescreen.
I’d be pleasantly surprised if much came from this Feb patch however.

The great forum duppy.

(edited by ensoriki.5789)

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

relax a little, get cozy in your chair and please don’t throw a fit when the changes go down.

the problem is there is no reason why much needed changes should’nt happen, if Anet treat PVPers like secondary customers despite us paying the exact same price as PVEers then the entire pvp community will only take so much before we leave and advise our friends to avoid a game with no community support.

i’m hoping this patch is the patch that Anet realize that and strive for the balance and pvp community that GW1 had, and the new map looks visually fantastic, so i’m hoping that the balancing will follow suit and be fantastic too

in PvP

Posted by: Valkyriez.6578

Valkyriez.6578

What a load of rubbish. gW2 has steadily declined in its viewership on twitch over the last few months due to disinterest from non players and players alike, just like the sPvP scene. It has nothing to do with technical difficulties at all and has more to do with the one game mode, stagnant competitive scene and no “end state” I.e a lack of any ranking / ladder.

You can put lock of monetization for top players on that list as well. They make money from viewers’ no viewers = no cash for them in this games pvp scene.

in PvP

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

Maps are probably the best way for GW2 devs to churn out content. I think it comes with their combat-focused PvP format. Since combat mechanics are so complex (I’d say needlessly so) it’s very easy to break the entire game with the addition of new weapons or professions. Game’s like Dota2, Lol, and Smite have simple yet deep strategic map mechanics. Their well-established hero archetypes provides a good format for adding in heroes as content to an already attractive game. The game’s engine probably makes it easier to do all of this as well.

As for structural changes, ANet said they wanted to funnel players in to a specific format. In my opinion, this is a mistake, PvP games rely on emergent content, and by that I mean that the players playing the game, setting their own standards and rules is the actual content. By giving players fewer tools use and less freedom, they reduce the amount of content.