Lock custom arena/hotjoin teams

in PvP

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Yup, another one of these threads.

For those of you unaware of the situation, let me break it down for ya. Game starts: yay a game, we can have many funs now. Wrong. One side gets spectator abusers, the other side gets people who dont know/dont care. What are spectator abusers? They join the spectators (in this case spectators are a middle ground for unteamed players) and wait until someone joins the unfavored side so they can join the side most likely to win. This winning side will likely zerg the whole match, picking off people who are trying to spread out to avoid them, resulting in spectacular 3/4v1s.

This isnt a fringe case. Upon coming back to the game some weeks ago, this has happened to me repeatedly. Just today, I joined 6/7 different servers, all were hopelessly unbalanced. Finally I resigned to just sticking to one server, and as you can imagine, no it didnt get any better. This is not good for new players. This is possibly a worse case scenario. Why should they continue to play this unbalanced game? Dont they have better things to do? If I was a newbie, and this happened to me repeatedly, I would get so frustrated I would probably play another game. Unfortunately, I have become so jaded to the fact that I expect this sort of thing from hotjoin, that it wont get any better, and that people just dont care. Well, kitten that.

Why should we lock hotjoin teams? Wouldnt that prevent players from playing with eachother, i.e. friends who just want to be on the same side and have a good time? No, it wouldnt, and heres why. If all of the zergers join one side, then that would leave space on the opposing side for said players. Said players would most likely be somewhat organized, and a little organization in hotjoin goes a really long way. This would create a scenario where the two sides would naturally balance out.

So what is the solution? My proposal is this: players cannot join spectators and use it as a middle ground to switch sides. They can, however, still join spectator for the purpose of viewing another persons playstyle and gear/trait setup. The only way to switch sides would be to rejoin the server. I believe that faced with this fact with the added inconvenience, most people would stop abusing the spectator system altogether. There would be some cases where people would still abuse the system, but they would be few and far in between.

tldr; people can still join spec but cant use it to switch sides. less zerg, more funs.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in PvP

Posted by: zxstanyxz.8769

zxstanyxz.8769

its hotjoin, if you want balanced 5 v 5 team games play unranked… issue solved

in PvP

Posted by: grahf.7540

grahf.7540

I don’t think new players have any idea what hotjoin is.

in PvP

Posted by: Loco.4561

Loco.4561

I was chatting to a new player yesterday who quit the game because of this exact thing. I find it even funnier that all the players doing the zerging are rank 80 legendary players who obviously have a lot of experience in PvP and feel the need to zerg newer inexperianced players in hot join.

Mashup Bootleg ~ WvW Mesmer
Cyrus Glitch – sPvP/tPvP Mesmer
Doctor Loki – sPvP/tPvP/WvW Power Necro

in PvP

Posted by: volpenvieh.3201

volpenvieh.3201

As zxstanyxz already said, if you want locked groups go play unranked. Or go find an arena which doesn’t allow spectators.

in PvP

Stand The Wall.6987

Thats not much of a solution. Youre telling me and many others to play something else because, why?

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in PvP

Stand The Wall.6987

I was chatting to a new player yesterday who quit the game because of this exact thing. I find it even funnier that all the players doing the zerging are rank 80 legendary players who obviously have a lot of experience in PvP and feel the need to zerg newer inexperianced players in hot join.

Yep this is common. Its sad.

in PvP

Posted by: Shadow.1345

Shadow.1345

Thats not much of a solution. Youre telling me and many others to play something else because, why?

Because hotjoin isn’t designed to be for actual matches now, it’s more for people who want to practice with new builds. Unranked is far better and the teams are locked into place with no spectators.

in PvP

Stand The Wall.6987

Because hotjoin isn’t designed to be for actual matches now, it’s more for people who want to practice with new builds. Unranked is far better and the teams are locked into place with no spectators.

I understand the build test part, and that its not supposed to be a serious atmosphere. Do you really think that because of this fact people should be allowed to continually steamroll the other side because of a feature that is supposedly working as intended? If so, why should this feature be allowed to continue if said feature is creating such massive disproportional outcomes? Wouldnt the game be much more enjoyable if the two sides were managed by removing the spectator teamswitch option?

in PvP

Posted by: Mak.2657

Mak.2657

Stop bother with win/loss at hj. Hj is hj. Practice, make fun, do what you can do.

in PvP

Posted by: Chapell.1346

Chapell.1346

Why locked? i love match manipulations. i mean its challenging.

[Urge]
Between a master and apprentice, i would love to see the differences.

in PvP

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

Why locked? i love match manipulations. i mean its challenging.

Oh, I don’t know.

Guild Wars 2 Rules of Conduct:

22. While participating in Plaver-vs-Player (PvP) gameplay, you will not participate in any form of match manipulation. Match manipulation is defined as any action taken to fix or manipulate the outcome of a match […]. This also includes disrupting other people’s game experience by not actively participating in matches in good faith, a.k.a leeching.

I agree that teams should be locked on official servers. Not only do players currently go in spectate to trigger auto-balance, but auto-balance volunteers also get a guaranteed victory, no matter the outcome. This encourages both teams to abuse the system, and makes the game absolutely unplayable.

To all of the people saying that new players should play Unranked Arena instead, think again. Arena can be intimidating to any player who has never tried PvP before, and if they don’t happen to have 4 other friends to team up with, chances are they’ll have a bad time. AFKers, leavers and saboteurs are what you get in Unranked Arena. It’s not better.

Before PvP rewards got removed and replaced with PvE loot, players used to PvP for fun, rather than to win. Now, times have changed, and players farm PvP reward tracks as an easy alternative to straight-out botting.

Something needs to be done to fix PvP. But when you look at most people in this thread, it’s no wonder why nothing gets done. Hot-join isn’t just about “testing builds” and “practicing”. There are custom servers for that. Besides, it’s not like you can practice squat if you’re getting 1 vs 5’ed all the time.

As it stands, there’s nowhere for new players to go, and their first PvP is most likely to be so atrocious, they’ll never come back. Honestly, would you?

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

Yeah, I stopped playing hotjoin soon after they broke it with how spectator mode was implemented. Its in a really bad state and has just been left to fester and rot all this time.

Hotjoin (in its current state) should not be the first experience new players have with GW2 spvp.

in PvP

Stand The Wall.6987

Stop bother with win/loss at hj. Hj is hj. Practice, make fun, do what you can do.

I’ve been doing this for a long time, and I’m tired of it. Aren’t you tired as well?

in PvP

Yasha.5963

I’ve been doing this for a long time, and I’m tired of it. Aren’t you tired as well?

Exactly, and it is actually more fun without the “rigging” that occurs due to the way spectate is implemented. I stopped playing HJ because it became totally NOT fun anymore once they put those changes through.

Its fine for me just to ignore it and play ranked or unranked, but if new players have to be exposed to such a terrible system they are going to think GW2’s pvp is awful. And that’s not good for the game.

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

You’re not playing something different at all. It’s exactly the same except It’s hotjoin, hotjoin is for: Dailies, new builds, boredom and various other PvP related things.

If you are after an actual game, then Unranked is there for that. 5v5 locked teams no spectators, controlled environment.

No one here can tell you what you prefer to do, but please don’t ignore peoples advice and continue to complain that there is nothing to be done.

Maybe some LoL perspective: What’s the difference between making your own custom 5v5 game as opposed to blind pick? Pretty much the same difference between Hotjoin and Unranked.

(As for legendary champions zerging hotjoin, my experience has been 2-3 newbies following the legendary champion creating the zerg effect, if you try to split from the newbies to cap an empty point, they all folow you and when you run away to another point, they all follow and don’t cap the original point)

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

in PvP

Stand The Wall.6987

You’re not playing something different at all. It’s exactly the same except It’s hotjoin, hotjoin is for: Dailies, new builds, boredom and various other PvP related things.

If you are after an actual game, then Unranked is there for that. 5v5 locked teams no spectators, controlled environment.

No one here can tell you what you prefer to do, but please don’t ignore peoples advice and continue to complain that there is nothing to be done.

Not sure what the first sentence is about so I wont comment. As for hotjoin being for something, yes for all those mentioned I agree. I think hotjoin could be a lot of things, but what is most important to me is finding good fights. Not once every so often, but consecutively, because when I turn on the computer I do not want to think about “well what if”.

If I’m after an actual game, unranked would be the last place I would look. Now if I had a better internet connection, I would be playing ranked all the time. That wouldnt make the state of hotjoin any better though.

They not only can, but are. I’ll stop ignoring advice when it presents a solution. As for the complaining part, I’m sorry you see it that way but I’m trying to be an advocate for change.

in PvP

Yasha.5963

Not sure what the first sentence is about so I wont comment. As for hotjoin being for something, yes for all those mentioned I agree. I think hotjoin could be a lot of things, but what is most important to me is finding good fights. Not once every so often, but consecutively, because when I turn on the computer I do not want to think about “well what if”.

If I’m after an actual game, unranked would be the last place I would look. Now if I had a better internet connection, I would be playing ranked all the time. That wouldnt make the state of hotjoin any better though.

They not only can, but are. I’ll stop ignoring advice when it presents a solution. As for the complaining part, I’m sorry you see it that way but I’m trying to be an advocate for change.

Its definitely worth saying. Hotjoin wasn’t like this initially and it was actually a lot of fun.

The auto balance system, the easy drop-in drop out, and ability to stay in the same room and keep playing over and over with the same people in a fairly casual environment were absolutely brilliant ideas on ANETS part.

It just fell apart due to how they set up spectator mode and allowed people to stack teams. It went from probably the best casual spvp game mode in any mmo to something really bad and worse than what is on offer in other games. That’s kind of sad.

Anyway, unranked is basically the new hotjoin now so its not the end of the world, but it is strange that it is just left festering away in the corner like that.

in PvP

Posted by: Arcadio.6875

Arcadio.6875

While I think people should just go unranked, here is an idea I have to fix the hotjoin problem. Matches should give equal rank points and reward track progress for wins and losses. Also, wins and losses shouldn’t be permanently recorded. Then there will be little incentive for match manipulation.

As for new players being too intimidated to play unranked, perhaps they should rename unranked and ranked to casual and rated. I see those terms used on some chess sites. Ranked/rated should always be available even when there is no pvp league running.

Lord Arcadio
League Of Ascending Immortals [OATH]

(edited by Arcadio.6875)

in PvP

Posted by: Mak.2657

Mak.2657

lso, wins and losses shouldn’t be permanently recorded. Then there will be little incentive for match manipulation.

AFAIK hj games do not affect your statistics now (probably after BWE2 or BWE3).

in PvP

Stand The Wall.6987

Matches should give equal rank points and reward track progress for wins and losses.

As for new players being too intimidated to play unranked, perhaps they should rename unranked and ranked to casual and rated.

Thats an interesting idea, but I doubt most people would be concerned. I think the core of the problem is that people want to stack teams, farm kills, and not be bothered with much of anything at all.

I like this second idea, I think it could work. The next problem I foresee would be unranked being dominated by premades. I think most new players would rather play hotjoin then have to go up against them every other match, but thats a different beast altogether. My main concern is hotjoin.

An idea that just occurred to me: designate which custom servers have spectator switching disabled and see which of the two are more popular. I think player demand should be the deciding factor.

in PvP

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

The solutions exist. HoT Join is pretty much practice mode. Many arenas there are player ran, and each has different options, you can always look for arenas that force team balance and don’t allow spectators, or better yet, buy your own arena, and set it up like that.
Otherwise you’ll have to play what you’re dealt. I really don’t understand the issue here. The whole point of hot join is pretty much that you can enter a match half-way, change builds, change teams, do whatever, and practice. Its also a quick shortcut for dailies, but that’s another issue.
My point is, you’re pretty much complaining that hot join is hot join, and want hot join to be unranked.

in PvP

Yasha.5963

The solutions exist. HoT Join is pretty much practice mode. Many arenas there are player ran, and each has different options, you can always look for arenas that force team balance and don’t allow spectators, or better yet, buy your own arena, and set it up like that.
Otherwise you’ll have to play what you’re dealt. I really don’t understand the issue here. The whole point of hot join is pretty much that you can enter a match half-way, change builds, change teams, do whatever, and practice. Its also a quick shortcut for dailies, but that’s another issue.
My point is, you’re pretty much complaining that hot join is hot join, and want hot join to be unranked.

Not at all. The point is hotjoin has wonderful elements to it, but due to a couple of poorly implemented changes it is now basically broken. Originally hotjoin was exactly what you describe above except it was difficult to stack teams.

I remember clearly the shift from the original version of hotjoin to the monstrosity we have now. After like a year or so of playing happily, suddenly things started going haywire. Why was the auto balance triggering every minute? Why did my team start with only two players? Why did that guy keep appearing on my team and then swapping to the other team? Why were games suddenly totally unbalanced?

It was very confusing when this first started happening, and then I realized that it was due to the way spectator mode had been implemented. It totally destroyed hotjoin. Suddenly if you wanted to win you had to play the stacking and swapping game.

Absolutely terrible and a total shame, because in its original form hotjoin was quite an innovative and extremely fun spvp game mode. Now its just a cesspool that tarnishes the image of GW2 spvp for any new players that who unwittingly select to play it.

in PvP

Posted by: SaintSnow.6593

SaintSnow.6593

tldr: Hotjoin is bad. Always has been. Spectator in hotjoin never should exist in the first place.
It should have always been, press a button to join match and it puts you on the team with less players and so on until the server fills up. Servers will then be 10/10 players only.
Spectate is fine in custom matches, sure watch those duels, custom matches are there for whatever the creator wanted in the first place.

Säïnt

(edited by SaintSnow.6593)

in PvP

Posted by: Bllade.1029

Bllade.1029

You kidding me? There’s a metric kitten ton of imbalances in spvp and you’re worried about Hotjoin abuse? Give me a break man.

[VLK] – No one ever complains about bad Thieves, they die.

in PvP

Stand The Wall.6987

The solutions exist.
Otherwise you’ll have to play what you’re dealt. I really don’t understand the issue here.

Ok, playing a different game mode because of an imbalance in another isnt a solution, but more of a quick fix. Quick fixes are not very effective at addressing the underlying problem.

So, imo, forums are for debating and coming to agreements (or not) on issues that effect us. If not, thats too bad, but at least we discussed the issue instead of letting it fester in a corner. There is no way in hell I’m gonna just let my favorite game mode sit there and rot because I could not or did not find the words to express myself.

If you wholeheartedly disagree, then ofc thats fine you are entitled to your opinion, but if you are going to sit there and deny that the problem even exists, then I’m not sure how to reply to your statements with any efficacy. My advice to you would be to play hotjoin for a week, a couple of matches a day, and tell me how that goes. If you have, and have magically found balanced matches every time, then you must be really lucky or your idea of a balanced match is very different then mine.

In my experience it takes about 4-7 different server switches to find one. Most of what I call imbalanced matches consist of one or more of the following: zerging, experienced players team stacking against newer players, and intentional 2v1s or premades ganking people all match. Now the last one is not as big a issue as the first two, nor can much be done about it, because like you say this is hotjoin and not unranked. As for the first two, I think disabling spectator abuse would if not completely cure, then greatly diminish the effect of said acts. As it stands now, these things are allowed to continue, resulting in landslide victories where half the time spawn is camped, and the other the anti zerg players are forced into a running simulation. This doesnt happen just once, but repeatedly, until the other side gets tired of the bs and leaves. Sound like a healthy environment?

Sorry if I came off as condescending but I’m not sure how else to word my reply when you tell me that you’re not sure what the problem is.

in PvP

Posted by: drizzit.9026

drizzit.9026

Fixed that If:
You join one team and leave to spectator because you’re an kitten, you can’t join again this game/ you don’t get winning points (but other points are still intact). Maybe that’s not the best solution but they can take a try.

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

Plenty of issues, Spectator is a parasite to Hotjoin though that is for sure…I made my own list of similar issues a while ago, and a while before that. Anet just doesn’t care….at all

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/sPvP-Fix-List/first#post5588148

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in PvP

Stand The Wall.6987

Plenty of issues, Spectator is a parasite to Hotjoin though that is for sure…I made my own list of similar issues a while ago, and a while before that. Anet just doesn’t care….at all

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/sPvP-Fix-List/first#post5588148

I get that feeling too, but its not true at all. It might be if they were the type of company that makes a game and abandons it to make another, but trust me theyre not. I know what that feeling is like. Positive changes do get made theyre just lost to the incessant amount of negativity.

in PvP

Posted by: Taltevus.3289

Taltevus.3289

When I first started playing Gw2 (2013?) I never really understood why hotjoin couldn’t have the same..—well not even the same, at the time, just common f’ing sense, added to the design. I never understood why it was like that? To purposefully make a and endorse a bad design?

ArenaNet shows the worst part of sPvP to new players then advertises esports?

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Is it really that hard to lock teams at the start? (Obviously, no) As in a player can leave the match if they choose but can not rejoin in the same lobby on the opposite team. I mean really.
Spectating should operate the same way. If you choose spectator, guess what you’re doing for the entire round? Just that, spectating, not playing 007 on the sidelines.

I think ArenaNet is betting too high on the same “dedicated” PvP users.
I personally could have done without strongholds (A suspicious PvP game mode that arc’s Neverwinter added as well) and would have preferred a complete fix for the entire lot of sPvP.

As far as tactics in game goes, I’ve seen the whole zerging and you would—well I guess the O.P would believe how many single players try to fight the zerg. However, what I see are players who enjoy the aspect of Brawling versus playing the actually game mechanics themselves. I’ve seen a lot of this. Another reason I don’t understand why a PvP mode that has less fighting was added? (stronghold)

in PvP

Yasha.5963

When I first started playing Gw2 (2013?) I never really understood why hotjoin couldn’t have the same..—well not even the same, at the time, just common kitten sense, added to the design. I never understood why it was like that? To purposefully make a and endorse a bad design?

ArenaNet shows the worst part of sPvP to new players then advertises esports?

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Is it really that hard to lock teams at the start? (Obviously, no) As in a player can leave the match if they choose but can not rejoin in the same lobby on the opposite team. I mean really.
Spectating should operate the same way. If you choose spectator, guess what you’re doing for the entire round? Just that, spectating, not playing 007 on the sidelines.

I think ArenaNet is betting too high on the same “dedicated” PvP users.
I personally could have done without strongholds (A suspicious PvP game mode that arc’s Neverwinter added as well) and would have preferred a complete fix for the entire lot of sPvP.

As far as tactics in game goes, I’ve seen the whole zerging and you would—well I guess the O.P would believe how many single players try to fight the zerg. However, what I see are players who enjoy the aspect of Brawling versus playing the actually game mechanics themselves. I’ve seen a lot of this. Another reason I don’t understand why a PvP mode that has less fighting was added? (stronghold)

Originally hotjoin was quite good, you couldn’t cheat through spectate and it was more difficult to leave and reenter the same server or to stack teams. As soon as they changed the system it became the cesspool/embarrassment it is now.

As for stronghold, I find a lot of fights develop on that map and the dynamics are different to conquest which is great. I wish we still had courtyard in the mix though.

in PvP

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

Having worked as a software dev, I’m pretty sure it went something along the lines of:
“Hey, I heard them MOBAs are popular these days. Kids just love to watch them on the YouTubes and the… Steams? Streams? Anyway, let’s make our game into a MOBA! We can do that, right? Good! You have two weeks!”

Obviously, the people making those decisions are not the people who actually play the game. Otherwise, things would probably get done (such as locking teams), but that’s just not how companies operate.

in PvP

Yasha.5963

Having worked as a software dev, I’m pretty sure it went something along the lines of:
“Hey, I heard them MOBAs are popular these days. Kids just love to watch them on the YouTubes and the… Steams? Streams? Anyway, let’s make our game into a MOBA! We can do that, right? Good! You have two weeks!”

Obviously, the people making those decisions are not the people who actually play the game. Otherwise, things would probably get done (such as locking teams), but that’s just not how companies operate.

No in fact ANET reached out to the community for ideas and the SPVP forum was host to a collaborative community development topic which lasted for a couple of months.

The community gave a lot of feedback, with the majority of people contributing asking for a moba style map and quite a few also asking for a deathmatch style map. As a result we got courtyard (deathmatch) and stronghold (slight moba flavour).

It took a long time before our feedback was turned into actual gameplay, but it was amazing seeing the devs both reaching out and providing a constructive forum for feedback/ideas and responding directly to community requests.

in PvP

Stand The Wall.6987

I personally like stronghold, regardless of how it came to be. It is really nice to be playing something fresh. Almost feels like a different game!

in PvP

Stand The Wall.6987

bumpn

in PvP

Posted by: Therodin.2970

Therodin.2970

Correct me if im wrong, but don’t you now need to meet a certain rank requirement before you are allowed to play unranked? I feel like i ran into this problem recently trying to do some pvp guild missions.

in PvP

Yasha.5963

Correct me if im wrong, but don’t you now need to meet a certain rank requirement before you are allowed to play unranked? I feel like i ran into this problem recently trying to do some pvp guild missions.

I am not sure, but if true that is definitely another big reason to fix up hotjoin, since that would mean new players would be forced into that mess. Oh boy, I have been a huge fan of this game but I am losing faith.

in PvP

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I’m not a new player, but I am a new PvP player, but what is hotjoin? I know unranked and the custom arena’s as I’ve used both for my daily PvP flasks (never did ranked), but I’ve never come across the term hotjoin (and I have the feeling this is different from the custom arenas)

in PvP

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

It breaks down like this;
Hotjoined is abused and manipulated.
SoloQ- Had numerous leavers and 4 vs 5 matches.
Unranked now has pre-made vs PuG
Ranked has terrible MMR.

Every facet of PvP has major issues. It has had issues since day one. All the issues people complain about are still present today apart from 4 vs 5 starts.

Einstein said something about, “…Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is…?…”

A fair and reasonable amount of time has past to resolve these issues, yet the current big thing they are tackling is overt animations in tournaments. They want to focus on skills communicating, but not over communicating.

If you’re unhappy with that, then PvP in this game is currently not for you. Try again in 2017, but as of now..all the things you hate will remain unchanged.

in PvP

Yasha.5963

I’m not a new player, but I am a new PvP player, but what is hotjoin? I know unranked and the custom arena’s as I’ve used both for my daily PvP flasks (never did ranked), but I’ve never come across the term hotjoin (and I have the feeling this is different from the custom arenas)

I am not sure of the new terminology, but when you click on the two crossed swords at the top of the screen it opens a PvP “Home” browser. That opens onto a first (home) tab that has has big buttons for “Play” unranked or ranked. The third tab on the left is called “game browser”, if you click on that a list of pvp “servers” comes up and you can choose “play now” or just click on a room to join a server. The “server 001” etc are what were known as “hotjoin” servers in the past.

In case you’re interested, originally hotjoin had the option of 8vs8 and 5vs5 games and there was no easy way to rig the matches, stack teams, or essentially “cheat” like there is now.

The problem some people had at the time was that the 8vs8 servers were all at the top, and the “play now” button would put you into a basically empty server most of the time. It was actually several months before I even found out that 5vs5 games existed. So many people asked, “since the game is balanced around 5vs5 can we have that game mode be more prominent” (obviously it helps to practice 5vs5 if you ever want to play competitively).

The response was to completely take out 8vs8 (weird, they could have just put 5vs5 at the top of the list or had a separate tab for it). But at least that meant we could practice 5vs5 in hotjoin (previously the 5vs5 servers were always half empty because they were at the bottom of the list (and you had to scroll waaay down to find them).

So things were all going reasonably dandy (at least in hotjoin) and then Anet implemented spectator mode (due to requests by community, except the community apparently wanted spectator in tournaments, not hotjoin). This was all good, but, and a BIG BUT, the way it was implemented basically destroyed hotjoin. All this team stacking, joining opposite team when losing, etc is the direct consequence of spectator mode.

Just imagine what we have now but with no team stacking, no team swapping, and a lot of fairly even games. Whenever anyone dropped out they are nearly immediately replaced with a new player, or the teams are auto balanced (not forced auto-balance by players abusing the system, actual good auto-balance that fulfilled the very good purpose it was made for). That was what hotjoin used to be. Of course it was still filled with zerging and abusive players etc, but that had nothing to do with the system itself.

There was also an incredibly fun map “Raid on Capricorn” that was taken out of the rotation, replaced with Skyhammer that is still with us despite an absolutely huge outcry from the community to get it removed (although it is much, much better now than it was originally).

in PvP

Posted by: AWACS.6537

AWACS.6537

Just ban players from hot join if they constantly move from team to spectator to team.

No.

in PvP

Yasha.5963

Just ban players from hot join if they constantly move from team to spectator to team.

That is probably a bit extreme and hard to do. The system was actually working really well before they added spectate, so someone just has to look at the rules for spectate and modify them.

For example, to address team swapping abuse, prevent people from rejoining a game once they go spectate and not count players who are spectating as part of the maximum number of players in a server.

There also needs to be some way to prevent players from stacking teams by waiting in spectate until they work out which team has the better players before they join the game. This seems to be a harder issue to tackle, but there must be someway around it without just taking out spectate.

in PvP

Stand The Wall.6987

I’m not a new player, but I am a new PvP player, but what is hotjoin?

Sorry for the confusion, I’ll change the title.

If you’re unhappy with that, then PvP in this game is currently not for you. Try again in 2017, but as of now..all the things you hate will remain unchanged.

I know its frustrating, but good things do happen. It may not seem like very often, but like I read somewhere else on these forums, its overshadowed by the loads of bs.

I applaude your directness, sir. * slow claps *