Longbow rangers need some balancing

in PvP

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

Played in a pug last night. Fought 5 longbow power rangers. That’s the lamest build ever. They won just by pressing #2. Once their bugged skill starts casting there is no dodging. You are F*****D. You have to burn all your endurance to avoid ONE ability. This is beyond stupid.

If i cloak on elementalist, they stop hitting. If i cloak on just about any other class, they lose the target, they lose the skills accuracy. This is not the way with rapid shot. Its a freaking homing missile ability. The only one in the whole freaking game. Even staff mesmers miss their targets upon cloaking.

If you wanted to give boost to rangers against thieves, you could’ve boosted the Sick’Em ability. It is the decloak ability. Not the freaking rapid fire. The way it is now, NOBODY uses Sick’Em in PvP and they still obliterate thieves if 2 or more rangers stay at one spot. I’m used to fight outnumbered, but between their CCing bets and SICK dps which I can’t avoid unless I pop my 2 dodges and rollback heal, I’m gonna get beat.

And their 8 second cooldown of this lame ability isn’t helping. Seriously, I think 3 kindergarteners can defeat a team if they stick together and call targets.

Same goes for turret engineers btw. They just drop their junk and bunker the crap out of a capture point. But there are already 5 threads on first page alone about them so I’m not going to do it.

My proposal is to make the ability less homing. It is on short cooldown. If you evade it, they are perfectly capable of doing it again and well, who knows, maybe they’ll have to switch to their offhand weapon once in awhile! Who would’ve guessed. Gw2 is not meant to be played just by pressing 1 and 2.

More and more kitten rangers pop into sPvP and wreck the crap out of good games just by camping and the sheer abuse of that overpowered ability.

I’m not even asking to nerf the damage of this ability. But it freaking ignores dodges. The only way you can avoid that crap is if you LOS the ranger. The only way to get a good ranger is inn a massive fight while he’s not looking at you. Because you know … #4, #2 … gg….

Only bunkers can stand toe to toe with a noob ranger and that only if they have some sort of block/reflect against that single mindblowingly overpowered ability. There is no other more annoying skill in this game than rapid fire. There are annoying abilities, then there is rapid fire…

(edited by Ravenmoon.5318)

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

Played in a pug last night. Fought 5 longbow power rangers. That’s the lamest build ever. They won just by pressing #2. Once their bugged skill starts casting there is no dodging. You are F*****D. You have to burn all your endurance to avoid ONE ability. This is beyond stupid.

If you burn all your endurance on that one skill, they can only keep auto attacking…

in PvP

Posted by: Amir.1570

Amir.1570

You have to burn all your endurance to avoid ONE ability. This is beyond stupid.

Check and mate. If you dodge rapid fire, now you’re vulnerable to their team mates and ranger’s own pets. Also fire+air proc still hits kitten Long Bow auto attack. And the GS burst isn’t a joke either, that hits hard.

Ranger takes zero skill no matter what build you play.

in PvP

Ravenmoon.5318

If you burn all your endurance on that one skill, they can only keep auto attacking…

Well if I dodge only once and let half of that skill to hit on me, I’ll be as good as dead. Kinda like the same if i burn all my endurance to avoid that ability. It’s quite the checkmate.

Even if I disengage and let them cap the point (ignoring the most basic idea of sPvP) while i refill my endurance. When I get back, their rapid fire is ready for usage.

I usually tend to compare rapid fire with hundred blades. Thing is though, to avoid hundred blades, I don’t even have to dodge. I can step out of it, or behind it. Both skills make 8 very powerful attacks. Clearly Rapid Fire is a bit more overpowered than 100b… If anything i would like to see them balanced so I wouldn’t be beat by someone who presses like 2 keys. Its super demotivating … Why should I play a squishier character, that requires more focus to play instead of having a relaxed evening and just tap that #2 ability?

A warrior at least has to observe a little to see who is crippled/immobilized and out of dodges. Rangers just tap dat #2 and GG.

in PvP

Morwath.9817

Rapid Fire deals on average ~8k dmg to zerkers. Not avoiding it doesn’t mean death by any means, while avoiding it is pretty easy (it can be blocked, interrupted, dodged, evaded). Really don’t understand your problem.

P.S.
I guess your issue is, that you can’t easy mode escape it with stealth once targeted. Stealth doesn’t interrupt already ongoing channels, clearly L2P issue.

(edited by Morwath.9817)

in PvP

Ravenmoon.5318

Rapid Fire deals on average ~8k dmg to zerkers. Not avoiding it doesn’t mean death by any means, while avoiding it is pretty easy (it can be blocked, interrupted, dodged, evaded). Really don’t understand your problem.

8k on average is more than half the health pool from one ability… get real…
Have you ever fought 2 rangers at a time? The amount of push, fear, stun and constant arrows in your back is too kitten high …

To get my point, I hope you get into a game with 5 power rangers (not bunkers) on the enemy side and your team being in medium armor. Talk to me later.

Also, classes like the thief have their profession specialization rendered USELESS because the rapid fire chain is not broken by losing target. Even if you keep changing position. That arrow is going to get you.

And that is at even odds. If that ranger catches you midfight or right after a fight while you are in CD, you better prepare the lube …

I’m not even mentioning the vulnerability stacks.

P.S: mhm .. tell that to all the elmentalists and mesmers that shoot the air once their target is gone. Or you know, you can actually dodge the greatsword mesmer main attack and it won’t hit you again until it is recast. Kinda like how the game works.

I’ve fought double pistol thieves, and there is really no such issue. Their chain is easily broken. Try that before making an kitten of yourself.

in PvP

Posted by: Dhunis.9072

Dhunis.9072

If you fight any 2 classes at a time you are gonna die pretty fast, not just rangers.

Ranked Arenas a.k.a. the New Hotjoin

in PvP

Ravenmoon.5318

If you fight any 2 classes at a time you are gonna die pretty fast, not just rangers.

Not from my experience, no. Hell I stand toe to toe with turret engineers if I widen the playfield.

in PvP

Morwath.9817

I wonder when we will see thread about OP Necros ruining days of CEle/Cengi…

in PvP

Ravenmoon.5318

Necromancers are okay. They can 2-shot people, but at least they can be dodged …

in PvP

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

So you saw the enemy team with 5 rangers and did not slot any reflects?

One – Piken Square

in PvP

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

Necromancers are okay. They can 2-shot people, but at least they can be dodged …

What’s funny is necromancers are probably the least capable of appropriately dealing with pew pew rangers.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: DarkSyze.8627

DarkSyze.8627

If it take only 1 skill to use to do very high damage with low cool down; there is problem. What is point to have the other skill in skill bar? I do not understand why arena net design this game like that because other mmo company do not do that for their game.

I know, ‘why do not play other mmo game than’? I do more now!

" Solutions To A Problem Can Only Be Found, When You Want To Get Rid Of It "
Ankur

(edited by DarkSyze.8627)

in PvP

Posted by: Ajax of Telamona.6974

Ajax of Telamona.6974

I post in forum that i have champ titles from all classes. I mention this cause i don’t want u think that i play only as a Ranger.
All u people complain about ranger need to understand that Ranger is a range class and from the range need to be strong. Why u complain about longbow skill No2? He has only 1 skill that rocks and make Ranger’s burst OK with longbow. May we need to start complain about cele ele that is not comfort for me to fight them? Or cele engi? or turret engi? Evey class has an anti class . Do u forget that s/d forget to stop evade? or is normal to shoot u and still be in hide mode ( as s/p)? Ranger is normal now deal with it and try to find a way to neutralize in teams

in PvP

Posted by: segman.3560

segman.3560

Is it ranger daily today? Because I haven’t login yet and i’m curious why this post exists.

in PvP

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

team of 4 rangers no defence vs ranged? good luck with that, its 4vs1 since that is what rangers do long range support to quickly down low hp targets rf or not against that much range you will die unless you bring proper defences and just saying oh but i can’t dodge to avoid it all right.

a simple wall reflect will stop all that , ps i think the spvp system was bugged last night i ended up in a team of 4 shatter mesmers seriously i had to quickly change to a bunker build because i knew none of the other players could even sit on a point , with full glass .

none of these mesmers even though thought about changing there weapons to be more competitive and the opposing glass ranger just ripped them to shreads with barrage if they went on point, that is why you really need to think about your team comp and change abilties/weapons/traits to match or support the team .

but in all honesty being teamed against 4 rangers you should of used the brain you have and ask the team to take some anti projectile.

and this is where the inexperienced pvp’ers fail they dont change skills to deal with the opposing comp. #(since if your going solo in unranked you wont have a soild comp so you need to become flexible if this situation arises again)

we nearly won that match up with the 4 mesmers when i changed to condi bunker , if i stayed a valk power ranger we would of snowballed all the time.
we only lost because of poor roations and team mates leaving points unguarded , we were dropping them like flies but lost in points due to poor decisions to kill chief while we had one point and that was far leaving home/ re-enforcements blocked and mid all capped by the opposition those decisions will make any match up fail.

be flexiable that is all.

oh ps you dodge Rf you are vunrable to CC so dont try to kite the LB its the Anti kiting weapon Dodge close C&D get behind and auto attack it pushs them on full defence , if there is more than one ranger end your attack early cloak away and call target so others can finish the target off or T target and if those other players have any form of anti projectile like wall or mesmer curtain to pull all the rangers towards your doing so interrupts there aa and reduces damage since they are closer and they can’t use the lb’s and then will have to swap giving you 9secs of recovery time you can’t do everything yourself , you need to talk to team mates , those that effecttively use the T target system to their advantage with team support will always out play you tbh the #t target system is the core of team play then you can learn to combo afterwards because without the t target set up you don’t know who to combo and that causes disarray , then in those situations a ranger is the best since he has range on his side and a wider field of vision to see what is happening then he can chose tacticly what to do to prevent stomps or burst targets , the instigastors of chaos is not the ranger but your own lack of team co-op.

(edited by Zenos Osgorma.2936)

in PvP

Ravenmoon.5318

Frankly I do not like the idea of char swap based on opponent. The fact that single class can prompt char swap while I don’t mind any other build, should speak louder than words. If I have to get lolturret engie to negate enemy ranger, that’s when you know something is wrong with the ranger.

I mean meta D/P thieves are annoying but if i land 2 crits on them they quickly turn on the defensive. A ranger has high defense high dps with ability that cannot be dodged. Unless of course you are willing to blow your endurance bar. But yeah, that’s when you prepare lubes in sPvP.

@Zenos, team co-op is just fine. But there is only so much a single warrior or guardian can do against 4 rangers. Any smart ranger would wait out the block/reflect chain and open again. Its not even skill, that’s common sense.

in PvP

segman.3560

Play ranger, learn its weak points, problem solved.

in PvP

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

Thats why i play ranger. I was wondering where all these pro players that somehow lock down rangers and down them like cardhouses are rank 55 and havent seen them yet.

in PvP

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

I watched a little bit of WTS qualifiers the other day, there was a longbow ranger (he was called something like Eurasian), but as the guy commentating said, he was the only power ranger playing at that level, so if this build is so OP and needs balancing, why do virtually none of the teams use it, sounds like a L2P issue…

in PvP

Ravenmoon.5318

Clearly, the ranger has an overpowered ability. I don’t have to use tricks to win if I play my character well. It truly is just that one ability. I’m good at dodging. Sometimes i kill opponents without getting hit. I dodge the most powerful attacks with relative ease because I know the animations well and my PC gets decent enough fps to give me time to see the attack coming and relative low ping to have quick reaction times, but even if i shadow step behind I still get shot. They are so silly, they don’t even switch to their greatswords in melee range. The greatsword has some sick bursts but I’m fine with that. I do blind on stealth so i manage to avoid the attacks as well until the ranger goes in cooldown. Rapid fire is instant and dodging once plus blind gives you no good. Not to mention that there are choke points for rangers where they can hardly be bothered unless i cross half the map to get there. By that time they would’ve wiped my team. You can’t shadow step to them, the game doesn’t allow it.

And don’t tell me its a l2p issue or kitten like that. Having to LOS the enemy every 8 seconds is kittening ridiculous. And I highly doubt that’s how the game is meant to be played.

in PvP

Ravenmoon.5318

I watched a little bit of WTS qualifiers the other day, there was a longbow ranger (he was called something like Eurasian), but as the guy commentating said, he was the only power ranger playing at that level, so if this build is so OP and needs balancing, why do virtually none of the teams use it, sounds like a L2P issue…

Because in a team environment, you have structure, You have bunkers you have tactics. In PuG environment (99% of the games) the rangers wreck the game. I stopped counting how many times i’ve played with team with only berserker guardians or berserker warriors that were dropping faster than the speed of light.

P.S: Also last Sunday each finalist team had a ranger. Just saying…

in PvP

segman.3560

Clearly, the ranger has an overpowered ability. I don’t have to use tricks to win if I play my character well. It truly is just that one ability. I’m good at dodging. Sometimes i kill opponents without getting hit. I dodge the most powerful attacks with relative ease because I know the animations well and my PC gets decent enough fps to give me time to see the attack coming and relative low ping to have quick reaction times, but even if i shadow step behind I still get shot. They are so silly, they don’t even switch to their greatswords in melee range. The greatsword has some sick bursts but I’m fine with that. I do blind on stealth so i manage to avoid the attacks as well until the ranger goes in cooldown. Rapid fire is instant and dodging once plus blind gives you no good. Not to mention that there are choke points for rangers where they can hardly be bothered unless i cross half the map to get there. By that time they would’ve wiped my team. You can’t shadow step to them, the game doesn’t allow it.

And don’t tell me its a l2p issue or kitten like that. Having to LOS the enemy every 8 seconds is kittening ridiculous. And I highly doubt that’s how the game is meant to be played.

A proper reflect can kill bad ranger. Your argument is like saying “conditions are op because I don’t have condi cleanse on my bar”

in PvP

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

Because in a team environment, you have structure, You have bunkers you have tactics. In PuG environment (99% of the games) the rangers wreck the game. I stopped counting how many times i’ve played with team with only berserker guardians or berserker warriors that were dropping faster than the speed of light.

You can’t balance a game around people basically not playing the game properly, with random compositions, limited teamwork with no TS, etc.

(edited by zinkz.7045)

in PvP

Ravenmoon.5318

A proper reflect can kill bad ranger. Your argument is like saying “conditions are op because I don’t have condi cleanse on my bar”

Okay, let me rephrase.
The most powerful abilities in this game, for the most part, are highly telegraphed, you know they’re coming from a mile away, and they can be easily dodged or you can step away from them without dodging. No need for blocks or some sort of trickery or weakness exploit.

Do you see my point here? If a necro is going to burst on you, you see it coming. If a thief is going to burst on you, you know its happening if they blind you or stealth in your vicinity. Same can be said for every class. The warrior is quite static on the bursts. With the exception of whirl. And you know a shatter mesmer is going to burst you when you see their clones go apekitten crazy on catching you and its super easy to dodge that.

The ranger just taps #2. And sometimes #4 (which has no telegraph as well, contrary to Warrior’s bow immobilize which recently got its telegraph time increased). For the most part you don’t know what the ranger is up to until its too late. The only viable way of finding out which arrow is a normal shot and which one is a push arrow is the speed they are traveling toward me. And that only works if i have like a second to see the faster projectile, click V and dodge it … if i have any endurance left after dodging the rapid fire…

The fact that there is a single class that can tap 2 keys to take another one down, is a clear sign of something working better than expected.

in PvP

Ravenmoon.5318

You can’t balance a game around people basically not playing the game properly, with random compositions, limited teamwork with no TS, etc.

You can however make things more interesting if you have to press more than 2 keys to win. Iz all im saying. People are kittened on turret engineers because they fall prey to an AI. But at least those engineers are manageable with some wider attacks…

in PvP

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

Frankly I do not like the idea of char swap based on opponent. The fact that single class can prompt char swap while I don’t mind any other build, should speak louder than words. If I have to get lolturret engie to negate enemy ranger, that’s when you know something is wrong with the ranger.

I mean meta D/P thieves are annoying but if i land 2 crits on them they quickly turn on the defensive. A ranger has high defense high dps with ability that cannot be dodged. Unless of course you are willing to blow your endurance bar. But yeah, that’s when you prepare lubes in sPvP.

@Zenos, team co-op is just fine. But there is only so much a single warrior or guardian can do against 4 rangers. Any smart ranger would wait out the block/reflect chain and open again. Its not even skill, that’s common sense.

obviously it is just plain old poor luck you faced 4 rangers.

if it was one or two you’d be fine but dealing with this situation is pushing into teamspeak and prebuilt comps so everyone in unranked needs to learn to be flexiable (you don’t have to swap chars to be optimal) people need to learn to use the /Team chat again and these problems wont arise so much.

but you faced 4 rangers , a pull mes and guard will be enough or a if some one plays a warroir they should take the zerk axe/shield / LB stance warroir the other 3 can do whater ever they want you don’t need to change the entire class or team comp to counter 4 rangers , 3 skills min is enough to deal with it.

lately i’ve seen a lot of zerk specs running around without using blocks to los arrows / body block the rf’s just running towards a ranger with shield stops everything the lb does.

if the other classes took the time to create openings you could easly use the thiefs port bursts ect but as there is no opening being created as most just sit behind the wall or reflect they waste that cooldown , and leave themselfs open to the next RF ect ect , its not your fault that some players can#‘t work as a team and think going for these solo roam 1vs1 builds think its effective and generaly get all confused by aka " roles " though i know for sure a thief in a team comp that don’t create openings makes it extreamly difficult for theif to work.

if you faced 4 rangers its not a lb issue but a team comp issue but as i said before balanced team comps don’t generaly work vs a Specialised team comp especially in unranked without ts or using team chat .

if you faced 1 lb ranger on its own is it crazy overpowered with 7-8secs of hard cc like a thumper engi , No? there role is to burst down targets that have a lack of preventative defence , active defence is all good vs melee types but when range is involved you need preventative defences like shield block , mes pull and guard wall or cele ele with Swirling Winds its pretty good 6secs every 30 , that gives you a window off prevented damage very often , weaved between warroirs block and guard or mes wall it can easly lock down this type of comp and it don’t require any gear changes or class changes , just 1 weapon change.

in PvP

Posted by: Gobble D Goop.4081

Gobble D Goop.4081

In a balanced world you should rarely if ever be able to win a 1v2 (that excludes times when the 2 are completely terrible). If the rangers are focusing you, then you will and should lose. I could honestly rewrite your post as a new topic labeled X class OP and replace the ranger elements with X class specific elements.

“Example (just an example, not how i actually feel about theif): Thief OP

The theif backstab/stealth tactic is OP. I mean, theif uses stealth and i have no idea where he is! It is crazy how a profession can go invisible. Then i get this 8k damage burst. I see him for a second, then he is gone again. I just can’t counter this kind of nonsense and anytime i see 2 of them its GG. Can’t do anything all game because they just appear out of nowhere doing tons of damage and then disappearing again."

You, being a theif, probably see the above as complete nonsense, but there are still many players that feel this way (they are somewhat less vocal on forums, but they still exist). You know what counters backstab/stealth.

Rapid fire has several counters:
*Reflect- probably the best choice, doubt its an option for a theif (i dont play theif)
*LoS/avoid open spaces- Graveyard in foefire is a bad place to be against several zerker rangers
*Block
*Get out of range- yes, RF has a range limit

As others have suggested, play a ranger. You will learn quickly that the zerker spec is not that great in conquest.

Also, i would LOVE to play against 5 rangers, especially if they run the terrible zerker spec. I thought fighting 3 rangers was a great game, I would probably be one happy camper against 5.

Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!

in PvP

Posted by: livlaender.8790

livlaender.8790

a hint from me…., use los (line of sight) and after ranger used his nr2 pressure him in melee range

sarcasm: oh, there is a random ranger on enemys team on higher ground…, what will i do? i will stand in the middle of that node, i guess….,kitten op ranger used his nr2 and i deaded QQ

die Gedanken sind frei

in PvP

Posted by: BlazinFyre.2410

BlazinFyre.2410

God this post is giving me cancer. this is a severe L2P issue. like many have said before, if you saw five Rangers on the other team, why the hell didn’t you slot a reflect like smokescreen or dagger storm. also it’s not like it was 5v1, you have a team too. not the Rangers fault that your team couldn’t peel for you. you even said in your OP the greatest counter play for rapid fire, LoS. it’s available on every map and you’re a thief so you should be able to abuse it every easily. Any meta build for a thief has a way to counter RF. if your S/D, just spam dodges and 3. trust me, you’ll have enough. and if you’re D/P, you just headshot the rapid fire and go ham. positioning is important for all classes and if you’re getting shot at by two rangers, you’re obviously not doing it right. And finally when you mention that the two finalists in Sunday had Rangers, I have no idea what you’re talking about. On NA there is only one team that runs a ranger and that is The Dankening, the abjured has never run one as far as I’ve seen. You may be talking about EU where Rangers are run slightly more but the numbers are still low. I’ll admit, I didn’t watch the matches last week. even if you’re right though, I want you to look back at all the weeks where Rangers weren’t even in the semi finals. then tell me that they’re OP and viable.

in PvP

Ravenmoon.5318

In a balanced world you should rarely if ever be able to win a 1v2 (that excludes times when the 2 are completely terrible). If the rangers are focusing you, then you will and should lose. I could honestly rewrite your post as a new topic labeled X class OP and replace the ranger elements with X class specific elements.

“Example (just an example, not how i actually feel about theif): Thief OP

The theif backstab/stealth tactic is OP. I mean, theif uses stealth and i have no idea where he is! It is crazy how a profession can go invisible. Then i get this 8k damage burst. I see him for a second, then he is gone again. I just can’t counter this kind of nonsense and anytime i see 2 of them its GG. Can’t do anything all game because they just appear out of nowhere doing tons of damage and then disappearing again."

You, being a theif, probably see the above as complete nonsense, but there are still many players that feel this way (they are somewhat less vocal on forums, but they still exist). You know what counters backstab/stealth.

Rapid fire has several counters:
*Reflect- probably the best choice, doubt its an option for a theif (i dont play theif)
*LoS/avoid open spaces- Graveyard in foefire is a bad place to be against several zerker rangers
*Block
*Get out of range- yes, RF has a range limit

As others have suggested, play a ranger. You will learn quickly that the zerker spec is not that great in conquest.

Also, i would LOVE to play against 5 rangers, especially if they run the terrible zerker spec. I thought fighting 3 rangers was a great game, I would probably be one happy camper against 5.

Reflect is not going to happen on thief unless I go dagger storm and … well you can see a daggerstorm thief from a mile away. Also, every condi that can’t be negated by stability is going to hit you. Contrary to popular belief, I tried that. Basilisk venom was more helpful in a way that I could quickly burst down to make the kill before the other 3 focus on me.

Block … I guess we can count smoke screen as a block of a sort. But again, its very visible and it takes half a second to cast it its not an instant ability. Its also wasted utility because of the cooldown it has and not many positives outside blocking projectiles for 5-6 seconds. A single ranger can open rf 3-4 times on me until the smokescreen is ready to use again

Getting out of range is an option yes. But the rf area is huge, getting back there is taking a lot of time. Its an ok proposition but disengaging, especially with a thief has great consequences.

So the only viable way to block this ability is to LOS the caster. Idk about you but to me that just sounds kittened up if I have to search for rocks and stuff every 8 seconds.

Also in a perfect balanced world you would be write. But those rangers were terribad. I took them all down with ease in 1on1. Sure it took all my utilities and most of my initiative. But that was for those 5 idiots. I’ve had guild matches where I’ve simply ignored the enemy ranger because I saw no way of killing the guy, so I never engaged and I was roaming left and right to cap points instead.

in PvP

Ravenmoon.5318

God this post is giving me cancer. this is a severe L2P issue. like many have said before, if you saw five Rangers on the other team, why the hell didn’t you slot a reflect like smokescreen or dagger storm. also it’s not like it was 5v1, you have a team too. not the Rangers fault that your team couldn’t peel for you. you even said in your OP the greatest counter play for rapid fire, LoS. it’s available on every map and you’re a thief so you should be able to abuse it every easily. Any meta build for a thief has a way to counter RF. if your S/D, just spam dodges and 3. trust me, you’ll have enough. and if you’re D/P, you just headshot the rapid fire and go ham. positioning is important for all classes and if you’re getting shot at by two rangers, you’re obviously not doing it right. And finally when you mention that the two finalists in Sunday had Rangers, I have no idea what you’re talking about. On NA there is only one team that runs a ranger and that is The Dankening, the abjured has never run one as far as I’ve seen. You may be talking about EU where Rangers are run slightly more but the numbers are still low. I’ll admit, I didn’t watch the matches last week. even if you’re right though, I want you to look back at all the weeks where Rangers weren’t even in the semi finals. then tell me that they’re OP and viable.

I think you need to L2P. Spamming 3 on S/D for the duration of RF leaves you very open for a kill. You can’t do kitten afterwards, except giving people cripple, granted you are not knocked back. Daggerstorm can be seen from a mile away and its not a huge damage dealer, any ranger could stop shooting for 5 seconds. Smokescreen is a waste of utility slot in the long run.

Obviously you don’t play a thief and you just toss skill names in the air. Those abilities you’ve mentioned have huge cooldowns compared to the ability of single ranger to cast Rf, what’s left for 5 of them, on a small map as battle of khylo.

P.S: Also yes, I did interrupt with steal every time I could. It is not enough if 2 of those are looking at you. Like … no matter how good you are with dodge and positioning and whatever you can come up, you will lose, from people that can’t play the game.

P.S2: You probably think of me as some kitten that wants to solo 5 guys and whatnot. Let me make something perfectly clear, as a thief every now and then i engage 2-3 enemies at a time and I keep them occupied while my PuG team captures the point. I’m not even aiming at killing. Do you know how easy it is to keep bunch of warriors eles and guardians in check? Throw a ranger into the mix and you have to run the f*** away…

in PvP

BlazinFyre.2410

I think you need to L2P. Spamming 3 on S/D for the duration of RF leaves you very open for a kill. You can’t do kitten afterwards, except giving people cripple, granted you are not knocked back. Daggerstorm can be seen from a mile away and its not a huge damage dealer, any ranger could stop shooting for 5 seconds. Smokescreen is a waste of utility slot in the long run.

Obviously you don’t play a thief and you just toss skill names in the air. Those abilities you’ve mentioned have huge cooldowns compared to the ability of single ranger to cast Rf, what’s left for 5 of them, on a small map as battle of khylo.

If your playing an S/D thief, double dodging shouldn’t be a problem at all for you. you can even just dodge once and use one flanking strike and evade the rapid fire and still have endurance to dodge point blank shot. on Khylo it’s extremely easy for a thief to get to any spot a ranger can. once in close quarters, an S/D thief will win 100% of the time as long as he isn’t brain dead so that might not apply to you. As for dagger storm, it isn’t about dealing damage itself, it’s about reflecting the RF. most players don’t have the reaction time to stow their weapon so they don’t eat the rapid fire, hell most people don’t even have stow weapon bound. I’ll admit, Dagger Storm is terrible, but if youre going to cry about projectiles, you should take it, especially if that’s all of their DPS.

in PvP

Posted by: Gabriell.4856

Gabriell.4856

Yet they still nerfed the hell out of thieves because hot joins couldn’t handle Steal+CnD+BS combo back in the days.

Or how the Devs said thief Sword 3 was too easy so they nerfed it.

They should nerf RF for the same reasons.

in PvP

Ravenmoon.5318

If your playing an S/D thief, double dodging shouldn’t be a problem at all for you. you can even just dodge once and use one flanking strike and evade the rapid fire and still have endurance to dodge point blank shot. on Khylo it’s extremely easy for a thief to get to any spot a ranger can. once in close quarters, an S/D thief will win 100% of the time as long as he isn’t brain dead so that might not apply to you. As for dagger storm, it isn’t about dealing damage itself, it’s about reflecting the RF. most players don’t have the reaction time to stow their weapon so they don’t eat the rapid fire, hell most people don’t even have stow weapon bound. I’ll admit, Dagger Storm is terrible, but if youre going to cry about projectiles, you should take it, especially if that’s all of their DPS.

If they are on top of a pipe or a structure camping your spawn point, trust me, there is no easy way unless you decide going around. You are going to eat at least 2 rapid fires by the time you get there. And then they just run, while you have like what … 30% hp, combat mode and some vulnerability stacks.

Yep in close range a thief wins, absolutely, 100% of the time, 1on1. Now … add a second ranger, see how that equation works out for you.

Daggerstorm will reflect few RF shots yes, the ranger will see a quick drop in the hp pool and will instinctively dodge. Boom, prepare lube in the next 10 seconds.

The effort it takes to keep 2 guards or warriors or mesmers or turret engineers in bay is minimalistic compared to 2 rangers. If almost impossible for the latter.

in PvP

BlazinFyre.2410

If they are on top of a pipe or a structure camping your spawn point, trust me, there is no easy way unless you decide going around. You are going to eat at least 2 rapid fires by the time you get there. And then they just run, while you have like what … 30% hp, combat mode and some vulnerability stacks.

Yep in close range a thief wins, absolutely, 100% of the time, 1on1. Now … add a second ranger, see how that equation works out for you.

Daggerstorm will reflect few RF shots yes, the ranger will see a quick drop in the hp pool and will instinctively dodge. Boom, prepare lube in the next 10 seconds.

The effort it takes to keep 2 guards or warriors or mesmers or turret engineers in bay is minimalistic compared to 2 rangers. If almost impossible for the latter.

if they’re is a severe gap between you and the ranger, you can just use an SR to stealth cross it. and you can get on top of the pipes with infiltrators strike or infiltrators signet. Also, don’t complain about losing 2v1s because unless your opponents are heavily below you in terms of skill level, you can’t win them in this game. if you get 2v1ed, you should be complaining about your teammates and what they’re doing.

in PvP

Posted by: Spin Echo.8263

Spin Echo.8263

If thieves can keep any two opponents at bay, then thieves are OP. There should be at least one 2v1 matchup that is unfavorable for a solo thief.

in PvP

Ravenmoon.5318

If thieves can keep any two opponents at bay, then thieves are OP. There should be at least one 2v1 matchup that is unfavorable for a solo thief.

It’s funny how you minimize my effort and compare it to a class that uses 2 abilities 90% of the time to win just about any other class at long range.

It’s not like I’m staying in 1 place spamming #3 as the guy above suggested. Guess you guys can’t wrap your mind around this concept.

The current situation is so pathetic, it reminds of Gw2’s launch where everyone ran zerker and warriors were wrecking everything in 2-3 hits before they ate the nerfbat.

in PvP

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I can’t help but chuckle at the irony of a thief complaining about burst. Live by the sword… die by the sword.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in PvP

Posted by: sminkiottone.6972

sminkiottone.6972

It’s funny how you minimize my effort and compare it to a class that uses 2 abilities 90% of the time to win just about any other class at long range.

It’s not like I’m staying in 1 place spamming #3 as the guy above suggested. Guess you guys can’t wrap your mind around this concept.

The current situation is so pathetic, it reminds of Gw2’s launch where everyone ran zerker and warriors were wrecking everything in 2-3 hits before they ate the nerfbat.

You man deserve a medal, or more lube… maybe both XD ?

in PvP

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

Thief is the best counter for LB ranger. He isn’t supposed to see you coming. if there are 5 LB rangers then lol… I’d suggest your team play sides (rangers tend to be the most annoying/strong at mid, depending on map)

in PvP

Posted by: Jackalrat.5493

Jackalrat.5493

As someone who has been playing a lot of power necro recently, I find power rangers (I laugh every time I say that…) to be impossibly hard to deal with.

As a necro, I have no block, reflect, invulnerability, invisibility, or any real counter for this immensely long range burst other than dodges, which run out quickly. When a power ranger isn’t blasting me for 50% of my health (Zerker build) from twice my range, he’s invisible or invulnerable. I’ve been seeing 1-3 of these builds on both teams every match.

I’m not going to say “omg it’s so OP and takes no skill” but I will say they were a disproportionately great source of death for me and seem to suddenly be quite popular.

in PvP

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

…which hit for 2-4k.

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.

in PvP

Ravenmoon.5318

I can’t help but chuckle at the irony of a thief complaining about burst. Live by the sword… die by the sword.

I have nothing against burst. If you are blind enough to miss someone that is going to burst on you, you deserve it. With the ranger, you see it coming you dodge and do kittenton of gimmicks to avoid that bloody attack but you still get it.

I’ll say it again. The bigger issue is that while other classes have huge telegraphs on their burst, they are easy to interrupt or walk away form, the ranger has none of that.

Hell … they are mobile while casting this wretched ability. So he can chase you into the sunset with it ….

in PvP

Posted by: Spin Echo.8263

Spin Echo.8263

There are matchups that are meant to put thieves at a great disadvantage regardless of their effort. And that’s fair, because there are also matchups that put thieves at a great advantage.

Do you think it’s fair that a shatter mesmer has little chance of fending off two thieves, regardless of the mesmer’s effort?

Power rangers can easily be countered by other classes, for example engis.

(edited by Spin Echo.8263)

in PvP

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

P.S2: You probably think of me as some kitten that wants to solo 5 guys and whatnot. Let me make something perfectly clear, as a thief every now and then i engage 2-3 enemies at a time and I keep them occupied while my PuG team captures the point. I’m not even aiming at killing. Do you know how easy it is to keep bunch of warriors eles and guardians in check? Throw a ranger into the mix and you have to run the f*** away…

So you’re mad because there is now a counter to you being able to engage 2-3 people and sometimes actually need to run from 2-3 enemies? Wow that does sound really unfair.

B-hurt thief is b-hurt. And no, I don’t play power ranger in PvP.

One – Piken Square

in PvP

Posted by: Jaysin X.6740

Jaysin X.6740

+1
Lol this is great, Thieves have been saying this forever, whenever another class complained about them.

in PvP

Ravenmoon.5318

+1
Lol this is great, Thieves have been saying this forever, whenever another class complained about them.

I don’t find playing 2-button class fun.

P.S: And yes i do have a ranger.

in PvP

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

+1

I don’t find playing 2-button class fun.

You keep saying 2 button class like that should mean something.

If you’re legitimately losing to a Ranger using only 2 buttons then you have a lot more wrong than anyone in this thread is giving you credit for. Most think you’re just trolling, but perhaps you truly are the absolute worst Thief known to man?

There is a single class in this entire game that has a legitimate complaint when it comes to Rangers and that’s Necromancers. The next closes class to have an honest issue are Rangers themselves. Thieves least of all should be struggling against power Rangers.

in PvP

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

Okay, so serious question. Let’s say you burn both your dodges to avoid that Rapid Fire. You have zero endurance now. Assuming they started attacking from 1500 range, you have to close some of that range, right?

Now you have no endurance and they have Point Blank Shot. So if you close distance and don’t have a 3rd dodge ready, they can knock you back again. And by this time, Rapid Fire’s back, you have to eat at least half of it.

Let’s say you have Vigor or something and get a 3rd dodge by the time you close distance and dodge the PBS. Now you have zero endurance again and, oh look, Rapid Fire is off cooldown because it’s 8s traited.

And even if you manage to get to them, they have Signet of Stone for 6s of invuln which is practically enough time to get Rapid Fire back off cooldown again.

Anyway, I totally get the “dodge the big attack” thing, but in the end, that big attack requires more dodges than you have (without vigor) and leaves you vulnerable to other attacks.

(The real lesson for me is that I need gap closers as I have none. I’m just saying that “l2dodge nub” isn’t necessarily workable advice. Especially if you add a second Ranger in the mix.)

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org