Longbow rangers need some balancing

in PvP

Posted by: manarchon.2089

manarchon.2089

Because in a team environment, you have structure, You have bunkers you have tactics. In PuG environment (99% of the games) the rangers wreck the game. I stopped counting how many times i’ve played with team with only berserker guardians or berserker warriors that were dropping faster than the speed of light.

A team having only berserker guardians and warrors against 5 lb full glass power rangers is pretty silly matchup anyway. But berserker guardian the medi dps one is actually pretty good against a lb ranger.

You have elite invul with 72 sec cd, 2 times aegis, focus shield, heal block. teleport skill with 1200 range. A ranged wep with immobilize and good single target damage. A melee wep with leap, blind and pull. You can slot wor trait it with master of consecrations and syg for stabi against pb shot instead of smite condi and cop and if you have the 5 ranger comp.

You lose healing and condi remove that you dont need that much against power ranger but gain defense that you shut down the rangers high bursts with. Close cap with tp and gs leap if ranger gets out of melee try to keep within 1200 so you can use scepter.

in PvP

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

This is a skirmisher build not a duel build there are builds who can trash thieves in duels too which are not considered viable in competitive level.
I played theif for 1400hours so i know all about its limits.

in PvP

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

Play ranger, learn its weak points, problem solved.

+1
Lol this is great, Thieves have been saying this forever, whenever another class complained about them.

I don’t find playing 2-button class fun.

You keep saying 2 button class like that should mean something.

If you’re legitimately losing to a Ranger using only 2 buttons then you have a lot more wrong than anyone in this thread is giving you credit for. Most think you’re just trolling, but perhaps you truly are the absolute worst Thief known to man?

Hey, be my guest, get your friends on a custom arena and set up the following
You: Thief
2 of your friends against you with power rangers
Stipulation: Your friends can only use directional keys dodge and rapid shot/normal/auto attack and point blank shot.

Would like to see a vid of you winning.

Hint: Don’t get too salty about it.

in PvP

Ravenmoon.5318

Okay, so serious question. Let’s say you burn both your dodges to avoid that Rapid Fire. You have zero endurance now. Assuming they started attacking from 1500 range, you have to close some of that range, right?

Now you have no endurance and they have Point Blank Shot. So if you close distance and don’t have a 3rd dodge ready, they can knock you back again. And by this time, Rapid Fire’s back, you have to eat at least half of it.

Let’s say you have Vigor or something and get a 3rd dodge by the time you close distance and dodge the PBS. Now you have zero endurance again and, oh look, Rapid Fire is off cooldown because it’s 8s traited.

And even if you manage to get to them, they have Signet of Stone for 6s of invuln which is practically enough time to get Rapid Fire back off cooldown again.

Anyway, I totally get the “dodge the big attack” thing, but in the end, that big attack requires more dodges than you have (without vigor) and leaves you vulnerable to other attacks.

(The real lesson for me is that I need gap closers as I have none. I’m just saying that “l2dodge nub” isn’t necessarily workable advice. Especially if you add a second Ranger in the mix.)

^ this guy gets it.

in PvP

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Okay, so serious question. Let’s say you burn both your dodges to avoid that Rapid Fire. You have zero endurance now. Assuming they started attacking from 1500 range, you have to close some of that range, right?

Now you have no endurance and they have Point Blank Shot. So if you close distance and don’t have a 3rd dodge ready, they can knock you back again. And by this time, Rapid Fire’s back, you have to eat at least half of it.

Let’s say you have Vigor or something and get a 3rd dodge by the time you close distance and dodge the PBS. Now you have zero endurance again and, oh look, Rapid Fire is off cooldown because it’s 8s traited.

And even if you manage to get to them, they have Signet of Stone for 6s of invuln which is practically enough time to get Rapid Fire back off cooldown again.

Anyway, I totally get the “dodge the big attack” thing, but in the end, that big attack requires more dodges than you have (without vigor) and leaves you vulnerable to other attacks.

(The real lesson for me is that I need gap closers as I have none. I’m just saying that “l2dodge nub” isn’t necessarily workable advice. Especially if you add a second Ranger in the mix.)

You just described the issue a Necromancer may have while at the same time ignoring that the Necromancer still has access to several fears, several chills, dark path, and the possibility of lich/plague to get there. And this is the least capable class of countering a Ranger.

The OP is a Thief. It’s laughable to think a Thief is struggling at all with the 1500 range of a Ranger.

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

If you burn all your endurance on that one skill, they can only keep auto attacking…

…which hit for 2-4k.

…crits for 2,5k at 1000+ range on zerker.

in PvP

Ravenmoon.5318

You just described the issue a Necromancer may have while at the same time ignoring that the Necromancer still has access to several fears, several chills, dark path, and the possibility of lich/plague to get there. And this is the least capable class of countering a Ranger.

The OP is a Thief. It’s laughable to think a Thief is struggling at all with the 1500 range of a Ranger.

Waiting for your vid big mouth…learn 2 read before posting nonsense

in PvP

Posted by: Spin Echo.8263

Spin Echo.8263

Hey, be my guest, get your friends on a custom arena and set up the following
You: Thief
2 of your friends against you with power rangers
Stipulation: Your friends can only use directional keys dodge and rapid shot/normal/auto attack and point blank shot.

Let’s set up a custom arena with a mesmer against two thieves who are only allowed to use their auto, HS and C&D.

When the mesmer inevitably loses, is that proof that thieves should be nerfed?

in PvP

Posted by: evanlegion.7680

evanlegion.7680

so much QQ here…i cant win 1 vs 2 pls nerf… LOL

(edited by evanlegion.7680)

in PvP

Posted by: truthishly.9513

truthishly.9513

@timmyf: In most cases, rangers will already have used PBS to set up the RF. If you had to blow through two dodges to get through RF, you should have dodged towards them, closing some of the distance that way. You should also have some kind of invuln or block which either negates the need for at least one of those dodges, or can be used for the next RF when it’s off cd, though if you closed the distance to them you should be able to dish out some damage and put them on the defensive, or force them to swap to GS. Dodge the bear and keep attacking.

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

P.S: And yes i do have a ranger.

Then you don’t even know how to play Ranger and complain to weird stuff. If I would have to complain about Rangers it would go like…

Kittened Rangers can CC me to the death by chaining Immobilize/Fear (F2) with thier dogs (those kittened creatures also cripple and knockback!!!), and if I fail to dodge one of those it gets chained with Entangle, Hilt Bash and Point Blank Shot. What is worse, even if I stealth they do as they please since I’m CCed and they can slash me to the death with Great Sword just by pressing 1 and 2!

…but no, you complain about multiple LB Rangers killing you at distance, because you fail to realize that Thiefs job isn’t even thinking about 1v2 scenario, but create 2v1 scenarios by abusing it’s sick mobility… learn what your job is and if you feel hard countered by enemy composition switch character/build…

(edited by Morwath.9817)

in PvP

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

I do agree that power LB ranger is a bit over the top in a large open field. But that only exists in WvW.
In PvP environment ,there are plenty of ways to LOS, getting close and put pressure on LB ranger.

in PvP

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

What you are describing is walking up to a ranger in plain sight which is a really dumb idea. Use your stealth, LOS, and map vision. YOU start the fight, not the ranger. If the ranger starts the fight at 1500 range then you already need to reset the fight.

in PvP

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

@timmyf: In most cases, rangers will already have used PBS to set up the RF. If you had to blow through two dodges to get through RF, you should have dodged towards them, closing some of the distance that way. You should also have some kind of invuln or block which either negates the need for at least one of those dodges, or can be used for the next RF when it’s off cd, though if you closed the distance to them you should be able to dish out some damage and put them on the defensive, or force them to swap to GS. Dodge the bear and keep attacking.

It’s really just a matter of positioning. If I can get to them with 50%+ health and without blowing every single dodge and cooldown I have, I’m in good shape. The problem is that so many of these maps have higher ground which requires quite a bit of pathing to reach as well as easy ways for the Ranger to run away once I get there.

Add in wolf fears, etc, and it’s even worse.

I don’t necessarily think Longbow Ranger is OP, but I’d love to see Rapid Fire’s damage come down a touch (or maybe move up to a 12s cooldown, but not both). I also think that RF shouldn’t be able to track you through stealth.

Note: I don’t play Thief. I used to play Mesmer, but I got tired of it in this meta and picked up Hambow. On Hambow, I can absolutely wreck the Ranger if I can get into melee, it’s just not always easy to do so thanks to some of the sniping positions available to Rangers.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

in PvP

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

What you are describing is walking up to a ranger in plain sight which is a really dumb idea. Use your stealth, LOS, and map vision. YOU start the fight, not the ranger. If the ranger starts the fight at 1500 range then you already need to reset the fight.

I normally run Warrior nowadays and don’t have access to stealth. I guess you’re assuming I’m a Thief? Anyway, you’re probably right that I just need to reset if I’m getting hit from 1500 range.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org