Losing Streak

Losing Streak

in PvP

Posted by: Darknicrofia.2604

Darknicrofia.2604

ATTENTION MODS This forum post has been altered by someone who is not me. I will change my pw today.

My original purpose was not so much to complain, it’s unranked.. It was to point out that losing streaks discourage players.

-edit- PW changed.

The good ole “my twitter was hacked” defense.

Darknicrofia Sage – Bad Gerdian, Merciless Legend, Platinum NA Solo Que

Losing Streak

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

To repeat; I have a 50% win rate on the season in ranked. I’m hardly an incompetent player.

While I appreciate the advice, my point was and is; Players are turned off by long losing streaks.

I suspect that the deliberately un balanced matchmaking chased a lot of people away. I personally experienced 68 straight losses at one point. Another player reported 100.

The lack of population is now forcing matches between very different stratum of players. That essentially repeats the issue of s2-s3.

By implication; ANET needs to be very careful to present even matches and even classes. Past balance decisions have left classes either too weak or too strong. In some cases, they remained so for years.

Your 50% win ratio in Ranked doesn’t really mean much if you’re playing in bronze. Players may be turned off by losing streaks, but Anet can’t fix that for you. You have to improve. I mean, you’re playing in unranked, during an active PvP season, with a non-meta core mesmer, with no interest in learning the mechanics of other professions, and yet you feel as though Anet is somehow responsible for your loss streak and that they need to fix it.

Oh and btw, your suggestion of Anet feeding you an easy win to compensate for your losses, did you think that one through? How is that fair to the other team that is getting stomped just so you can feel better?

Isn’t that pretty much what ANET did is s2-s3? They more of less fed easy games to “high rated” players so they could win streak and fell like pros.

No, that is your conspiracy of what happened, not fact.

No conspiracy theory here. ANET told us during s2-s3 that the games were deliberately skewed. One side was made with ratings significantly higher than the other.

Winning teams got even more rewarded and losing teams got even more punished. It was a matter of considerable debate and acrimony.

S3 was toned down and after s3 that system was finally abandoned, (I think. I wonder sometimes if that system is still in place.) In my opinion, it caused considerable damage to PvP.

ANET would have done better to stack members of losing teams into compositions intended to win.

Mesmerising Girl

Losing Streak

in PvP

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

It’s been said before, but too many people in this game think they are better than they really are. If you are crap, you get losing streaks, it’s really that simple.

Losing Streak

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

It’s been said before, but too many people in this game think they are better than they really are. If you are crap, you get losing streaks, it’s really that simple.

You’re missing my point. The function of matchmaking is to make even matches. Long losing streaks turn people off. They are also evidence that the matchmaker is not doing an adequate job.

Mesmerising Girl

Losing Streak

in PvP

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

and matchmaking is doing that, no system can accurately measure a humans performance fight to fight, its the long term normalization that matters. long lose streaks mean you will eventually reach your natural skill level at which it will start to level out at 50/50, or if you have been unlucky, will be followed by a win streak. at the end of the day even if you settle at 50% you will still have win and lose streaks.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Losing Streak

in PvP

Ramoth.9064

You’re missing my point. The function of matchmaking is to make even matches. Long losing streaks turn people off. They are also evidence that the matchmaker is not doing an adequate job.

And what if you are getting even matches but you arent skilled enough to capitalise on it? Even matches doesnt guarantee you wins

Losing Streak

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

No, even matches do not guarantee wins. Still, logic suggests that you ought to win an even match roughly half the time.

When that doesn’t happen, it suggests that the matches are not even.

Mesmerising Girl

Losing Streak

in PvP

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

PvP. Only good for reward tracks and dailies.

Losing Streak

in PvP

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

No, even matches do not guarantee wins. Still, logic suggests that you ought to win an even match roughly half the time.

When that doesn’t happen, it suggests that the matches are not even.

imagine a day when you played amazingly well, now imagine one of your off days. Now times that by 10 people. Algorithms can monitor statistics but they are not magic.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Losing Streak

in PvP

Posted by: Itz Jay.8941

Itz Jay.8941

It seems to be all luck to me. I went on something like 20-3 losses yesterday, won a few earlier today then logged in tonight to tank 7 or 8 loses in a row. Tryharding like a kitten just to get the ascension finished so I can bugger off to wvw.

Everyone saying a losing streak is down to you, that’s a joke. Unless you are duo-ing with a good player, or truly are a great player playing a great carrying class, it’s going to happen. It’s like that video derren brown did flipping heads on a coin 10 times in a row, it happens.

However I don’t believe staying the same class game after game is helping. Last season I was bronze, this season I have expanded to playing 5 classes in pvp, I also have a good knowledge of the other classes, I haven’t dropped below silver 2 and now hovering between silver 3 and gold 1.

My point is I support your statement somewhat. These losing streaks happen regardless of your skill. A few games tonight were close, a few others I watched my team throw. For instance capping mid only for my team to chase off the point and lose it straight away.

In these moments it’s hard to keep your cool when you finish a team fight, go to defend close whilst actively watching your teams full health health bars and the minimap showing them giving mid point away chasing one enemy off point for the game changing move that added another lose to my streak.

Losing Streak

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

I don’t intend to disagree just to disagree but statistics dictate that a 50% chance of anything happening means the same theoretical outcome can occur 100 times in a row.

The only way any statistic number is plausible is if the occurrence continues to happen, on till infinity. Stats 101.

How this relates to GW2… The longer the season, the higher the player pool, the better accuracy MMR is that’s tied to a player. More importantly; pertaining to you, a “losing streak” doesn’t matter because everyone has an equal opportunity to be top 250. Are you good enough to carry yourself?

Because matchmaking only has 2 skill levels: Gold T3/Plat/Lege divisions and Bronze/Silver/Gold T2 Divisions. What ever match you get, you’ll have a mix of either 2 of the above sets of players.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Losing Streak

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

Here’s today so far. These kind of games definitely are not encouraging. There was no possibility of carrying them. I got 3 top stats in the last one and was consistently 1v2-3.

Sorry.. you really cannot just blame the player.

Attachments:

Mesmerising Girl

(edited by Ithilwen.1529)

Losing Streak

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

To repeat; I have a 50% win rate on the season in ranked. I’m hardly an incompetent player.

While I appreciate the advice, my point was and is; Players are turned off by long losing streaks.

I suspect that the deliberately un balanced matchmaking chased a lot of people away. I personally experienced 68 straight losses at one point. Another player reported 100.

The lack of population is now forcing matches between very different stratum of players. That essentially repeats the issue of s2-s3.

By implication; ANET needs to be very careful to present even matches and even classes. Past balance decisions have left classes either too weak or too strong. In some cases, they remained so for years.

Your 50% win ratio in Ranked doesn’t really mean much if you’re playing in bronze. Players may be turned off by losing streaks, but Anet can’t fix that for you. You have to improve. I mean, you’re playing in unranked, during an active PvP season, with a non-meta core mesmer, with no interest in learning the mechanics of other professions, and yet you feel as though Anet is somehow responsible for your loss streak and that they need to fix it.

Oh and btw, your suggestion of Anet feeding you an easy win to compensate for your losses, did you think that one through? How is that fair to the other team that is getting stomped just so you can feel better?

Isn’t that pretty much what ANET did is s2-s3? They more of less fed easy games to “high rated” players so they could win streak and fell like pros.

No, that is your conspiracy of what happened, not fact.

No conspiracy theory here. ANET told us during s2-s3 that the games were deliberately skewed. One side was made with ratings significantly higher than the other.

Winning teams got even more rewarded and losing teams got even more punished. It was a matter of considerable debate and acrimony.

S3 was toned down and after s3 that system was finally abandoned, (I think. I wonder sometimes if that system is still in place.) In my opinion, it caused considerable damage to PvP.

ANET would have done better to stack members of losing teams into compositions intended to win.

It was set up to force players into a 50% win ratio. It didn’t just grant winning players with endless wins and losing players with endless losses as you like to claim. Of course the system was horrible, received a bunch of backlash, and was scrapped.

The system is not trying to keep you down. You are playing unranked, at a bronze league skill level, with a core non-meta build, with poor understanding of other professions, during a time where anyone who is playing seriously is playing in ranked, and you think the game should feed you some wins because people hate losing streaks………

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

Losing Streak

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

No it is the job of the matchmaker to put similar people on the same team. Not just ability but also if you get reported a lot and have a dishonor stacks you are more likely to be playing with teammates that do too. If the game tried to force 50% win for every match, the person that got the top rank would have gotten there by pure luck. Ultimately, the system will drive you to a 50% win ratio because you will settle where you belong. The only exceptions are people that are either at the top end of the rating spectrum (high win % because they are always playing people that aren’t as good), or at the bottom (low win % because they are always playing people better).

Losing Streak

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

There was never a system that attempted to create a 50% win ratio as far as I know. That seems to be a persistent myth. The system of S2-S3 deliberately created matches with one side intended to win. It also rewarded win streaks and punished loss streaks.

Unfortunately that meant imposing virtually pre-determined losses on half the players in each match on the theory that the matches would “level out” as the season progressed. The level out never happened.

I think the game should have a safety net. Routine losses chase people away. That’s particularly true if the losses are large. 2 of my 3 matches today were lost by over 400 points. I contend that is symptomatic of a match making problem and/or balance issues..

Mesmerising Girl

Losing Streak

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

No it is the job of the matchmaker to put similar people on the same team. Not just ability but also if you get reported a lot and have a dishonor stacks you are more likely to be playing with teammates that do too. If the game tried to force 50% win for every match, the person that got the top rank would have gotten there by pure luck. Ultimately, the system will drive you to a 50% win ratio because you will settle where you belong. The only exceptions are people that are either at the top end of the rating spectrum (high win % because they are always playing people that aren’t as good), or at the bottom (low win % because they are always playing people better).

If I am down rated for being reported and/or because my forum posts are disliked as you suggest… It can only be counterproductive.

A person is unhappy.. punish them so that they become even less happy.. vicious cycle. I have long wondered if my account was targeted somehow.

Mesmerising Girl

Losing Streak

in PvP

Faux Play.6104

Look at the wiki. People with dishonor stacks are more likely to be on the same team. It is a great feature IMO put all the salty people with bad internet on the same team. if you are the type of person that racks up dishonor, just take a couple days off and your dishonor stacked will go away. Are you suggesting that bad behavior should be rewarded vs. Punished?

(edited by Faux Play.6104)

Losing Streak

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

I had such a losing streak as well (in fact, you could still find my picture in forums).

What I learned from it, is that, if you see another thief or mesmer in your group, you should switch to something more tanky. The moment I started doing that, my groups started to feel more well balanced.

I understand that you probably want to score some wins as a mesmer, but sometimes getting a win on something else, may bring a luck back to you.

LoL, completely opposite for me. The moment i switch off my thief, i start to lose matches. Not trying to brag but in 9 out of 10 cases second thief on my team usually turns out to be …. well…. not good enough for the match.
At this point i would rather stay on my main that i can carry with better due to high mobility (unlike my engi, that is forced to be glued to one point for the rest of the match).

As far as topic, i think it has been discussed countess times. Fair matchmaking doesn’t exist in this game. Alone due to small population and MM aiming for short queues instead of quality matches. The worst part, on top of it all, the rank gains/losses are based on personal MM and average enemy MM, it actually doesn’t take into account that you might have had teammates hundreds of ranks below you and enemy.

Also, lol unranked, they were always a chaos.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

Losing Streak

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

Look at the wiki. People with dishonor stacks are more likely to be on the same team. It is a great feature IMO put all the salty people with bad internet on the same team. if you are the type of person that racks up dishonor, just take a couple days off and your dishonor stacked will go away. Are you suggesting that bad behavior should be rewarded vs. Punished?

No I’m complaining that it’s well known that punishment generally leads to more problems. Here and I thought I had basically horrible luck.

Am I a bad sport? Yes.. and so would you be if you experienced regular 10+ loss streaks. My current record is something over 68 straight losses.

And now I find out that it’s because I am being punished for salt behind my back? Does anyone wonder where the salt came from or why it continues?

What’s the point of punishing me without telling me why? Triggered memories here.

Do I get worse games for making unpopular posts on forum?

I could have fixed this A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO and avoided a lot of misery if someone had bothered to tell me… now I am angry. Going to stop typing now..

Mesmerising Girl

(edited by Ithilwen.1529)

Losing Streak

in PvP

Cynz.9437

To be fair, 68 straight loses is indication that something might be wrong on your end. Let’s assume you lose a lot, eventually you will end up in low ranks. Let’s assume you don’t belong at those ranks, you should be able to win regardless how bad odds are.

I have landed in silver/low gold range after placement this season, i had no issues getting back to plat because in low ranks, even as thief, i could win/stale 1v2/1v3 fights which helped me to win games. I mean, no offense, but people at low ranks really have no map awareness (which is usually why matches are lost) – you can abuse it for easy wins, i don’t see 68 losses happening unless you actively contribute to it.

All is Vain~

(edited by Cynz.9437)

Losing Streak

in PvP

Faux Play.6104

The matchmaking criteria has been published in the wiki for quite some time. Same with dishonor. There is nothing on there about linking dishonor to your forum account.

Losing Streak

in PvP

Posted by: Kako.1930

Kako.1930

No I’m complaining that it’s well known that punishment generally leads to more problems. Here and I thought I had basically horrible luck.

Am I a bad sport? Yes.. and so would you be if you experienced regular 10+ loss streaks. My current record is something over 68 straight losses.

And now I find out that it’s because I am being punished for salt behind my back? Does anyone wonder where the salt came from or why it continues?

What’s the point of punishing me without telling me why? Triggered memories here.

Do I get worse games for making unpopular posts on forum?

I could have fixed this A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO and avoided a lot of misery if someone had bothered to tell me… now I am angry. Going to stop typing now..

As far as I know, posts in forums probably don’t affect the game but if you spend all of your matches harassing your team, crying, afking, and get reported over and over for it then that might affect things (only if you do it so much that the number of reports get anets attention, which would have to be an insane amount). I’m no expert though so don’t quote me on that lol.

Losing Streak

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

You have to realize that the matchmaker can only work with what is in queue. If you are on massive loss streaks it’s a indication that the matchmaker isn’t able to find player of sufficiently low skill for you to play against.

It’s the mirror problem to the issue of lege player fighting golds -it’s because there aren’t enough lege players to have lege only matches. Well at the opposite end of the spectrum you have the problem where some players are so low rank that there aren’t enough players of equivalent low rank for the matchmaker to make a good match, thus the loss streaks.

Also I’m pretty sure that your claim of 68 straight losses is total bull.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Losing Streak

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.1683

Pyriall.1683

On a scale of 1-10, how does everyone rate their own personal skills in the game?

Losing Streak

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

On a scale of 1-10, how does everyone rate their own personal skills in the game?

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Losing Streak

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.1683

Pyriall.1683

1.1, that’s at least an honest assessment.

Losing Streak

in PvP

Posted by: MasterD.4790

MasterD.4790

I’m a solid 2-3…depending on day and level of intoxication

Gamadorn the epitome of a hotjoin hero

Losing Streak

in PvP

Cynz.9437

What is 1, what is 10?

All is Vain~

Losing Streak

in PvP

Ramoth.9064

Hmm if 10 is a top pvp esl player (lol esl) I’d probably be a 6 or 6.5

Losing Streak

in PvP

Posted by: MissCee.1295

MissCee.1295

4…maybe. I know I play better when I can focus solely on what I’m doing and not my entire team.

My toons: Loki Thunderstruck, Loki Livewire,Loki Spellbound, Loki Meanstreak

Find pvp players: https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

Losing Streak

in PvP

Posted by: Kaburro.4712

Kaburro.4712

10… I mean… I play better after 10 beers!

Losing Streak

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

10… I mean… I play better after 10 beers!

i only play when drinking now, makes me wonder sometimes how i would do with proper motor function

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

Losing Streak

in PvP

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

Keep in mind the OP’s complaint about these loss streaks are in unranked. I find it comical that we’re even remotely trying to find logic in unranked match making. It’s completely impossible due to the myriad of factors at play which can heavily skew the results of matches.

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)