Losing games with decay overly punishing

in PvP

Posted by: Icewolfnector.1487

Icewolfnector.1487

So I stopped actively playing pvp this season at around Christmas time and didn’t really play any ranked pvp again till today. Of course over all that time I had accumulated the maximum of 700 decay.
After so much time of not playing I got fairly rusty and played really bad my first few matches. (Quite a few of my teammates played even worse than me though, which didn’t help either).
So the first 4 matches I played like this, obviously were horrible loses.
After not playing for so long I expected to lose quite some points for a loss (like 30-40)
But what I saw after each of the matches was a bit over the top.
So not only did I lose around 30 points for my loss as expected but also the 100 points of decay I though I would get back, regardless of win or loss.
Meaning after my first game I went from 1477 rating down to 1347.
130 points in 1 game!!
The 3 other losses after this I also lost very high amounts.
So after those 4 lost and 3 won matches I was at like 1050 points.
I mean, isn’t that a bit overly punishing for playing while having decay?
I can understand that you should lose more points after such a long time of inactivity, but this much?!
I’m slowly climbing back up again now (1167) but those first matches lost me so many points in like 40 minutes, I will never be able to get that much back in a reasonable time frame. Especially not with like ~15 points per win now.
All in all I wasn’t expecting to get any higher that the start of platinum any more with my rusty skills at the moment(not that I’m that great of a player when at my peak), but I would at least have liked to get a fair go at it.
So I was just wondering is this intentional?
Should you lose THIS much while having decay?
Because I feel this is quite a bit unfair if you don’t have the time or just want to take a break from gw2 pvp, to handycap those players so heavily.

in PvP

Posted by: Aitadis.8269

Aitadis.8269

I just made a thread as well about decay, it seems theirs a massive bug as I was -700 decay and my first win I got 81 skill rating alone which should be impossible, +100 from decay back putting me at +181 after a single match. It also seems like some of the top players are exploiting it.

Illusionary Mesmer
[oof] Crystal Desert

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Rating deviation will no longer increase in future season to stop situations like this.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in PvP

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Rating deviation will no longer increase in future season to stop situations like this.

you need to do somethign about the current season. Some peope exploited the decay and others got a couple lucky wins and ended up at 200+ higher MMR than where they belong. leaderboard dosent mean anything until thhis is fixed for THE CURRENT SEASON

The season ends in 6 days. By the time Anet fixed this and implemented it, even if it happened right now for that matter, there isn’t enough time left in the season for that to matter

in PvP

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

you need to do somethign about the current season. Some peope exploited the decay and others got a couple lucky wins and ended up at 200+ higher MMR than where they belong. leaderboard dosent mean anything until thhis is fixed for THE CURRENT SEASON

Sorry but I would take a well executed and tested patch over something which won’t be properly tested and may completely destroy the leaderboard. It’s 6 days left, there isn’t enough time to exploit that much anymore and if good players want to make a stand against the exploiters they can and wreck the exploiters rating. It’s high risk, high reward.

in PvP

Posted by: Aitadis.8269

Aitadis.8269

Sorry but I would take a well executed and tested patch over something which won’t be properly tested and may completely destroy the leaderboard. It’s 6 days left, there isn’t enough time to exploit that much anymore and if good players want to make a stand against the exploiters they can and wreck the exploiters rating. It’s high risk, high reward.

Not if they have jobs during the day. And the people abusing this dont just que whenever they feel like it, they make sure to dodge anyone that can give them difficulty and they don’t need very many wins to go up hundreds of points.

Illusionary Mesmer
[oof] Crystal Desert

in PvP

Posted by: fumcheg.1936

fumcheg.1936

The decay system is absolutely terrible. I was in gold t2-t3 having no difficulties with climbing to plat except the lack of time. 65% win rate. Then I got tired of grind and took a brake. With 700 decay I was placed in low bronze.

How do I ever supposed to play with those ppl?!! They don’t know how to rotate, they don’t know how to stomp. Enemies are bad as well, so I easy keep point 1vs2 but that does not help, they still losing rest two points. What the hell I am supposed to do to win such games? And on top of that I was losing 30+ rank points for every lost game.

What is the point of that kitten? Please explain me, cos I really don’t understand. Why this “deviation” ever exists? Do you really think someone can forget how to pvp after one week off or what? What is the logic of moving players to low tiers? If you are concerned about not playing ppl stacking in the ladder then just make decay impact on your ladder rank, not on your matchmaking!

in PvP

Posted by: Marxx.5021

Marxx.5021

Had the same experience. After a few days not played I got matched with and against players with noticable lower skill level. The first matches were so random that it could have gone either way. Loosing the first matches gave -20 and -21. Though after the third match it was back to normal. Which means playing within your skill level. Still I find it unfair to get punished with bad matchups for not playing a few days.

in PvP

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

The decay system is absolutely terrible. I was in gold t2-t3 having no difficulties with climbing to plat except the lack of time. 65% win rate. Then I got tired of grind and took a brake. With 700 decay I was placed in low bronze.

How do I ever supposed to play with those ppl?!! They don’t know how to rotate, they don’t know how to stomp. Enemies are bad as well, so I easy keep point 1vs2 but that does not help, they still losing rest two points. What the hell I am supposed to do to win such games? And on top of that I was losing 30+ rank points for every lost game.

What is the point of that kitten? Please explain me, cos I really don’t understand. Why this “deviation” ever exists? Do you really think someone can forget how to pvp after one week off or what? What is the logic of moving players to low tiers? If you are concerned about not playing ppl stacking in the ladder then just make decay impact on your ladder rank, not on your matchmaking!

Yeah went from 1653 down to ~1550 in just 3 games. It was roughly 30 every time. And from there on it was just all loss streaks.

Stuck in a loss, loss, win, loss, loss and not going anywhere.

in PvP

Posted by: Eiffel.8937

Eiffel.8937

actually you are stuck in a loss win win loss win win situation as you cant get back from one loss with one win you need at least two wins in a row to compensate one loss which is really frustrating when you get extremly unlucky with your teammates mostly and sometimes even cause enemy team is just overpowering and every one in your team wonders why you where matched up against each other in the first place and I am not talking about off prime time here

in PvP

Posted by: Icewolfnector.1487

Icewolfnector.1487

I’m glad to hear that.
Such big swings were not good for either side, winning or losing.

actually you are stuck in a loss win win loss win win situation as you cant get back from one loss with one win you need at least two wins in a row to compensate one loss which is really frustrating…

I noticed that too. It’s feels a bit unfair if you win 2/3 of your games and still get stuck at the same rating I feel.
But I guess that’s a discussion for another topic

in PvP

Posted by: LinhZeri.6412

LinhZeri.6412

Geez then I won’t be coming back for this season as I quit out when I had uneven matches which I refused to carry/grind out wins for bad players to go to my proper position. but other then that I don’t see why there isn’t a very simple system of win +set amount of points and lose -set amount of points… keeping things simple works out just fine. I been playing unranked and getting 9 times out of 10 better games its quiet interesting and I have a way worse unranked mmr. These leagues need to have random players put together 50/50 (yep i know everyones against that one lol) and separate ladder rankings to have their own personal up and down.. as clearly having everyone locked in little cells of divisions has down nothing for this season. Perhaps you can have this random draw locked in those divisions to give a wayyyyyyy WAYYYY better chance of getting competent players instead of ones who lucked out or some how crawled their way into that division.

Simple solution sum up:
- 50/50 random draw in division you in. Way higher draw of better players in a game then having the system make you CARRY people. Outrageous notion that people need ot be carried is what is causing these constant issues. Why do people need ot carry others? They need to work for it by playing games and attempting wins.

- Make the rewards increase ONLY when they win. This will force people to want to win instead of mediocre giving a kitten about what is going on.

I hope season 6 will be great as I opt out so fast on this season as I was finding myself never progressing and always falling. You cannot progress with a pool of bad people but, having a game of good people to push you to play better and wake your brain up allows you to progress. Its that simple really

in PvP

Posted by: Rhiannon.1726

Rhiannon.1726

You are talking about two different things:
Rating deviation and the decay system.

The rating deviation after a break will be addressed (see the post from Evan Lesh).
(Btw it happens both ways; you either gain or lose a lot.)

The decay system doesn’t hurt anyone. You just drop in the leaderboard (which is only important for the top 250), but your MMR stays the same!
You can completely ignore the -700 decay.

in PvP

Posted by: Rodzynald.5897

Rodzynald.5897

It is strange, that some say it doesn’t affect how games look like after a break.
I climbed to platinum from silver which took me a bit of time and effort, later on real life stuff happened and I was forced to stop playing, once I got back after a week or so, my matches drastically fell in quality and I dropped to golden rank and somehow, despite my best efforts, I can’t get to platinum and I am about 3-4 matches away from it. But I am happy that it will be looked into, progress is always good.

Guardian is meant for jolly crusading.

in PvP

Posted by: Rhiannon.1726

Rhiannon.1726

@ Rodzynald:
That is from an older post, where someone from anet confirmed it:

I’ll try investigating this more, but from what I undestand your decayed rating doesn’t determine who you are matched against. So in theory, when you came back you were still playing against gold players. Your decayed rating only affects your leader board position and nothing else.

This is correct. Decay does not affect your matchmaking. With our current decay settings, you can work off your decay in 7 games.

in PvP

Posted by: fumcheg.1936

fumcheg.1936

I believe it should not affect matchmaking, but from my experience it does affect.

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

Ironically people are complaining about both ends of the deviation. One it makes it too easy to climb, the other it is too easy to fall. However, it is the core difference between gliko and elo.

Decay does not factor into the equation anywhere. It just artificially alters your leaderboard position or changes your badge color.

in PvP

Posted by: Rodzynald.5897

Rodzynald.5897

@ Rhiannon:

Sooo… I suddenly became bad and MMR decided I should fall down? Despite the earlier fact that I crawled out of silver through gold to get to platinum in the first place?
Even now I try to get back and just before the plat I drop into a streak of lost matches.
I don’t think my skill became weaker because of a week of not playing :C

Guardian is meant for jolly crusading.