Losing oh so many reward points in spvp

in PvP

Posted by: Ark.6839

Ark.6839

So my connection was acting funny today. I got d/c’d once every 20ish~30m, but it came back straight away, so I was able to relog and rejoin without a problem. But then I noticed my reward points at the end of a match. About a 1/4 of what I’d win if I hadn’t dc’d. Even if I played nearly the whole match, only dc’ing for… 10s? 20s at most for map loading and such. Is this normal?

in PvP

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

Yep same thing just happened.

Points reset to 0, rank points earned 300.

This NEEDS to be addressed.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

in PvP

Ark.6839

And just now, played a whole match, dc’d when we were at 460 points, came back, match is finished, I got 0 points. So awesome!

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

This is the same as how it worked before. Rewards are based on playtime, which gets reset each time you connect.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in PvP

Ark.6839

Any way to fix this? I have 2 connections, both were acting up, but only lagged out for a few seconds and lost all my points.
Also, when’s this mmr going to get fixed? Being pummeled by dragon ranks on just about every match really sucks the fun out of pvp faster than a black hole.

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Being pummeled by dragon ranks on just about every match really sucks the fun out of pvp faster than a black hole.

how do you know they are rank dragon?
they were using the rank 80 dragon finisher on you?

by the way, how would you feel if they used rabbit finisher on you instead?
just a random question.

in PvP

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Being pummeled by dragon ranks on just about every match really sucks the fun out of pvp faster than a black hole.

just a random question.

I think the better question here is why people think old rank = skill level. Ranks can be farmed over play time but do not indicate actual skill.

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

just a random question.

I think the better question here is why people think old rank = skill level. Ranks can be farmed over play time but do not indicate actual skill.

well, i suppose some people would like to use rank as one of the reasons to explain why they got defeated?

“oh, they are higher rank than me, no wonder i lost.”
etc

so i was wondering how would people feel if the rabbit finisher is used instead.

in PvP

Ark.6839

Although ranks can be farmed, and with enough patience you can get to them, you also get experience, whether you want it or not. I don’t mind leasing, really don’t. Off course I won’t throw fireworks when I do, but it doesn’t bother me that much.
Playing against stupidly higher ranking people which give me absolutely no chance to learn and climb to that level on my own? That sucks the fun out of things.
Yes, they did use dragon finishers.

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Playing against stupidly higher ranking people which give me absolutely no chance to learn and climb to that level on my own? That sucks the fun out of things.
Yes, they did use dragon finishers.

well, yeah, in a match where all 5 are very experienced, well coordinated, the game is indeed not fun. a 500 – 0 can easily happen, i have experienced such a game before, with myself being on the team that scored zero.

well, say, if not all 5 are that experienced, maybe just 1 or 2, and you were happening to be 1 v 1 one of them, and lost that 1 v 1, not due to the arrival of their team mates etc.

perhaps sometimes there could be something to learn from that 1 v 1.

if not, looking at 5 v 5, perhaps there might be something to learn from how they open the match for that map, how they rotate, how they focus their firepower on your own team mates etc.

however, being human, when we are being steam rolled in the game, our emotions often boil up and we mostly fail to use that opportunity to learn something new.

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Any way to fix this?

Sure, talk to your ISP and get your connection fixed so you don’t DC and leave the rest of us short-handed when you end up on our team.

in PvP

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

Any way to fix this?

Sure, talk to your ISP and get your connection fixed so you don’t DC and leave the rest of us short-handed when you end up on our team.

Right, but stuff happens.

If you helped your team stomp the enemy 400 to 200 by killing 5 svanir/chieftans, why should that be forgotten just because you had to reconnect at the last moment.

It’s not like your contribution went away. If anything you should get 10% less rank if it was a quick reconnect, not 80% less (less than the losing team even.)

Furthermore, if you lag out at the beginning (a generally more crucial point in the game) you’re more likely to obtain full credit than if you lag out near the end.

It just isn’t fair.

Even though laggouts shouldn’t be happening, they do. No need to make a bad thing worse.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

Any way to fix this? I have 2 connections, both were acting up, but only lagged out for a few seconds and lost all my points.
Also, when’s this mmr going to get fixed? Being pummeled by dragon ranks on just about every match really sucks the fun out of pvp faster than a black hole.

Games are based off of MMR.

The question your asking is how do you stop facing good players (dragon ranks?)
Your a good player, so your going to face other good players.

After you lose a bunch of matches and become a bad player you’ll face bad players.

If you really want to play with bad players, just lose a bunch of matches and you’ll start facing bad players, just be sure to not always win and let the bad players win every now and then. That way you wont be put with the good players anymore.

Or do what I do and try to win every game and let the MMR place me where I should be. This is like the 3rd or 4th time they fixed the algorithm, should be pretty good by now (MMR considers me a good player, which I would say I am pretty good). #faith

Attachments:

(edited by uberkingkong.8041)

in PvP

Ark.6839

Any way to fix this?

Which one of them by the way? I’ve said I have access to, and use, two ISPs. There’s very little else I can do over here, usually switching to the secondary connection fixes my problems, but today was specially bad.
Besides, like I already said, they were dc’s of a very abrupt connection loss which was nearly instantly restored, allowing me to be back in the game 10~20s after I dc, and those are due to map loading times.
For one of those ISPs, there’s already a 60 page long of people complaining, for the last two months even. But since we’re tied by a contract, there’s no way I can leave it without paying a huge fine, and I only have problems with that one for gaming, since downloads come easily at 4~5mb/s.
Thus, I got the secondary connection. Top download speeds at 400kb/s, but usually very stable in games (first time it failed me in over a month). I do think this measure goes above and beyond what most users have. Sometimes speaking to your ISP won’t get you instant results, and if you don’t know that, lucky you.

As for everyone else, thank you for your replies, I do hope the MMR did get fixed properly so I can go back to enjoying some games.

in PvP

Dahkeus.8243

Then blame your ISP, not ANet. Because if you think you should be able to get full points for DCing a game, then coming back, there’s suddenly incentive for people to do this as an exploit and there’s less incentive for people to get their connection issues resolved as best as they can.

So please, take your head out of your own personal perspective for 2 seconds and realize that your bad connection hurts 4 other people more than it hurts yourself.

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

Then blame your ISP, not ANet. Because if you think you should be able to get full points for DCing a game, then coming back, there’s suddenly incentive for people to do this as an exploit and there’s less incentive for people to get their connection issues resolved as best as they can.

So please, take your head out of your own personal perspective for 2 seconds and realize that your bad connection hurts 4 other people more than it hurts yourself.

+1
Don’t play GW2 at your local library or at Starbucks.
This isn’t the 90s, we are 20 years past the 90s the dial up era. Present day, up to what? 50GB connections now? Crazyness.

in PvP

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Yes the fix is to get a better connection.

in PvP

Ark.6839

Maybe you didn’t get the part where I had a sudden dc and came back straight away. I’ve only mentioned it on just about every single post I’ve made in this thread. Try reading before bashing.
Also, several other games seem to come up with solutions that don’t penalize the player for a minimal failure in connection where the player returns straight away, so maybe there’s room for improvement on Anets’ system?

+1
This isn’t the 90s, we are 20 years past the 90s the dial up era. Present day, up to what? 50GB connections now? Crazyness.

I have two personal connections, at my house. And speed barely has nothing to do with the stability of the connection, although it will improve ping up to a point, where the rest is influenced on what the ISP has bought/hired in infrastructure on its network.
If you’re going to bash someone, at least try to understand what you’re talking about. As for the rest, read my reply to Dahkeus.

in PvP

Chase.8415

The majority of the gamer agrees punishment should happen to players who have bad connection issues, it just something you’re going to have to get used to.

in PvP

Dahkeus.8243

Maybe you didn’t get the part where I had a sudden dc and came back straight away. I’ve only mentioned it on just about every single post I’ve made in this thread. Try reading before bashing.
Also, several other games seem to come up with solutions that don’t penalize the player for a minimal failure in connection where the player returns straight away, so maybe there’s room for improvement on Anets’ system?

+1

I have two personal connections, at my house. And speed barely has nothing to do with the stability of the connection, although it will improve ping up to a point, where the rest is influenced on what the ISP has bought/hired in infrastructure on its network.
If you’re going to bash someone, at least try to understand what you’re talking about. As for the rest, read my reply to Dahkeus.

Yea, I read what you said. It’s sad that you can’t get a better connection, but that doesn’t mean that the game should suddenly revolve around you. There are other people who have the potential to get a good connection and either don’t bother to make the effort and there are people that use disconnects to their advantage as well.

If you disconnect once in a blue moon, then the point loss is minimal, but if it happens regularly, then unfortunately, you just don’t meet the requirements for what this game needs to run as it should.

Meanwhile, when you DC, you lose some points for the match. The four other people on your team likely lose the entire match.

@ Chase: We’re not advocating for punishment for people with bad connections. We advocate for punishment to people that abuse their connection or neglect it at the expense of other players. In a perfect world, we could tell when a innocent dc happened and not attribute any punishment, but there’s no way to tell when that happens and when it’s just someone pulling the cord out of their modem because they’re raging.

(edited by Dahkeus.8243)

in PvP

Ark.6839

Yea, I read what you said. It’s sad that you can’t get a better connection, but that doesn’t mean that the game should suddenly revolve around you. There are other people who have the potential to get a good connection and either don’t bother to make the effort and there are people that use disconnects to their advantage as well.

If you disconnect once in a blue moon, then the point loss is minimal, but if it happens regularly, then unfortunately, you just don’t meet the requirements for what this game needs to run as it should.

Meanwhile, when you DC, you lose some points for the match. The four other people on your team likely lose the entire match.

@ Chase: We’re not advocating for punishment for people with bad connections. We advocate for punishment to people that abuse their connection or neglect it at the expense of other players. In a perfect world, we could tell when a innocent dc happened and not attribute any punishment, but there’s no way to tell when that happens and when it’s just someone pulling the cord out of their modem because they’re raging.

So basically you keep saying I’m being selfish for asking Anet to try and improve their system, but you don’t even realize that advocating for things to stay as they are is incredibly bad for any player that does get disconnected?
This isn’t a thread for “omg Anet give me full points even if I only spent one minute in the match” this is one asking for an improvement on the reward system in case of a sudden dc, where you’re not really away for that much of a % in a match.
My connection is fine now, but now that I’ve been through that stressful situation, I see that there’s a lot of room for improvement on this system.
This isn’t a case of “the world revolves around me” it’s a case of a system that unfairly punishes a player for a very minor dc with a really heavy loss in points, whether his team won or not.
So instead of seeing this from your perspective, where the connections are 100% reliable and your pc never crashes, try looking at it from other peoples’ perspectives. The system as it is, is unfair. There is room for improvement, a lot of it, and there’s no denying it.

in PvP

Chase.8415

It’s not really unfair to those who have stable connections.

You get the same problem if you were character swapping mid match as well.in regards to rewards, I have been rank 80 since April and still actively play PvP when the rewards aren’t really worth playing for.

If you are disconnecting you are ruining the game for 4 other players, it is not arenanets responsibility to fix an issue that you are ruining into in your own fault.

in PvP

Dahkeus.8243

I’m saying that your opinion fails to take in the full scope of the situation adequately. I am not calling you selfish, nor am I intending to jump to any other personal assessment of you as an individual.

@ Chase: Character swapping is no longer allowed for good reason.

in PvP

Posted by: lept.4692

lept.4692

This is the same as how it worked before. Rewards are based on playtime, which gets reset each time you connect.

Is there a specific reason this route was chosen rather than letting players retain their points in the event of a reconnect? I’m just curious, as it seems like using the percentage of time the player has been in game up until the disconnect and reconnect points would be better suited to determine if a player was contributing and deserves the rewards, but I know there are limitations in the system and wonder if that was a factor here.

Emu [VLK]

in PvP

Posted by: Abaddon.2105

Abaddon.2105

Rank points doesn’t give any advantage over other people.

You can be nobody, but if you got the skill, you will beat the highly ranked player.

Everyone has the same set of features. What makes the difference, is how do you setup your build and how will you use it to be better than the rest.

There is a small possibility now that you will run into a match against fully organized team, while queuing solo.

Today I had only one game that on my team two classes were doubled. Never seen a tripled class in a team composition since last changes to MMR.

San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of.