Lost 2 PIPs 499-502 and 478-501

in PvP

Posted by: Zork.2517

Zork.2517

Division 2 – tier 1, lost 2 PIPs for losing 2 heartbreakers.

I was the only division 2 on my team both times. I find that Division 1 people tend to quit or go afk or “are just here for fun” quite a bit, thus penalizing those of us who HAVE SOMETHING TO LOSE.

By the way, the 499-502 loss would have advanced me to the next tier.

I’m done Anet. Your league/mmr systems are terrible.

Attachments:

(edited by Zork.2517)

in PvP

Posted by: meow one twenty.4376

meow one twenty.4376

The more people figure out that lowering your MMR early is the best way to get pips the more you’ll have teammates not caring as Ambers.

Alright meow, where were we?

in PvP

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

What you are complaining about here happen with or without pips. You think DOTA2 cares how close your game was? If you lose a super close one or a total blowout you lose/gain the same MMR.

There are plenty of complaints about the league system that are valid but this isnt one of them.

in PvP

Posted by: dank.3680

dank.3680

The more people figure out that lowering your MMR early is the best way to get pips the more you’ll have teammates not caring as Ambers.

Fundamentally what is wrong with this game. The players.

Personally I want my MMR accurate not kittening artificially low. I want to have good matches, have a good time, learn from my playtime etc. What I don’t give two kittens about is “pips”.

Too bad players like me mostly left the game long ago. Nothing left but “karma train” in wvw and “glory(oldschool term yes) farm” in pvp.

#MAGSWAG: All class player. XOXO

in PvP

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

All people try to optimize their chances of success.

Why bother playing a competitive game if you don’t care to win, amirite?

Can’t blame the players. Companies need to expect that kind of behavior.

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

You lost twice, you lost a pip twice. Working as intended. The game doesn’t look at how close your game was unless there was a massive discrepancy in MMR.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: Kydar Schattendolch.6879

Kydar Schattendolch.6879

The game doesn’t look at how close your game was

IMHO it should during the pvp season….

in PvP

Posted by: Pepsi.8907

Pepsi.8907

The game doesn’t look at how close your game was

IMHO it should during the pvp season….

why should it? A loss is a loss… You didn’t have 90% of a loss and 10% of a win, you had a 100% loss no matter how close it was.
You were slightly even in term of skills, but they ouplayed your team and it showed in the points.
On another note:

I was the only division 2 on my team both times. I find that Division 1 people tend to quit or go afk or “are just here for fun” quite a bit, thus penalizing those of us who HAVE SOMETHING TO LOSE.

Calm down in generalizing the people from each divisions… it hasn’t even been a week since it’s out.
They may be as frustrated as you because they were one pip away from getting into another division, and must feel like it “doesn,t matter for those at the start or in the middle of their own division because they don’t have as much to lose”

(edited by Pepsi.8907)

in PvP

Posted by: Zork.2517

Zork.2517

This is an undisputable fact for ranked pvp:

People in Division 1 have nothing to lose for a loss. People in Division 2 have a lot to lose for a loss. I had 3 afk teammates today and someone else said, “I’m just here for fun.” Fun is fine, but don’t make me play with folks like that. I NEED the win.

Solution: Don’t mix and match Division 1 and Division 2 players. It’s contrary to the current pvp system.

Why should the game look at how close your match was? Because it’s relevant. Example: You can earn 2 pips for beating a tough team.

(edited by Zork.2517)

in PvP

Posted by: saturn.4810

saturn.4810

Seems you got two very balanced matchups. Sorry for the loss, but you can hardly blame Anet for that.

I don’t understand the complaint about matchmaking. It’s the purpose of matchmaking to give you balanced matchups.

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

if your team lost with 400+ team score you should not lose pips.

unless they changed something.

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

in PvP

Posted by: Gav.1425

Gav.1425

I don’t disagree with OP, but this is the psychology of intrinsic and extrinsic rewarding.

Pre Leagues: Let’s say OP was always a moderate, consistent PvPer, playing 5-10 TPVP games a day. His motivation is intrinsic because he does it for his own fun and no real reward.

Post Leagues: Leagues introduces an extrinsic reward system, but the rewards are bunk ATM because it’s the first week of the system and the metric needs time to flush itself out or be re-evaluated. Adding a reward (or concept of rewards) and then removing this reward (or making it invalid) has changed OP’s motivation from intrinsic to extrinsic.

Instead of playing the 5-10 TPVP games per day he would normally play and just shrug off Leagues for the moment, he now wants to quit PVP.

This is a normal response of human psychology. I hope everyone can learn to recognize this, understand it, and be able to shrug off the kinks of the first days of implementation of an entirely new system.

Yes, we need to rework the pip system and its metrics. The house isn’t quite on fire just yet.

in PvP

Posted by: Gav.1425

Gav.1425

I don’t disagree with OP, but this is the psychology of intrinsic and extrinsic rewarding.

Pre Leagues: Let’s say OP was always a moderate, consistent PvPer, playing 5-10 TPVP games a day. His motivation is intrinsic because he does it for his own fun and no real reward.

Post Leagues: Leagues introduces an extrinsic reward system, but the rewards are bunk ATM because it’s the first week of the system and the metric needs time to flush itself out or be re-evaluated. Adding a reward (or concept of rewards) and then removing this reward (or making it invalid) has changed OP’s motivation from intrinsic to extrinsic.

Instead of playing the 5-10 TPVP games per day he would normally play and just shrug off Leagues for the moment, he now wants to quit PVP.

This is a normal response of human psychology. I hope everyone can learn to recognize this, understand it, and be able to shrug off the kinks of the first days of implementation of an entirely new system.

Yes, we need to rework the pip system and its metrics. The house isn’t quite on fire just yet.

in PvP

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I am confused by this system.

why you lose 2 when winning?

in PvP

Posted by: Chase.2798

Chase.2798

“It doesnt matter whether you win by an inch or a mile winning is winning”-The Fast and the furious

In the same way it doesnt matter if you lose by 1 or 500 points losing is losing

Big Papa Chase – Warrior and Guardian
Papa’s Lady Luck- Necro
(HELL)

in PvP

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

The rules for gaining or losing points is too opaque. They should clearly define under what circumstances you can lose/gain 1 or 2 points. At the moment it seems illogical. You play against a team that is 3 capping in the match, and then lose 2 points despite the other team being obviously much better.

in PvP

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

Division 2 – tier 1, lost 2 PIPs for losing 2 heartbreakers.

By the way, the 499-502 loss would have advanced me to the next tier.

I’m done Anet. Your league/mmr systems are terrible.

The design team has made a series of very bad decisions regarding sPvP. They have destroyed the game and not just though decisions with League design, but also due to Elite Spec meta reset that came with HoT. Players are quitting because of both.

in PvP

Posted by: Tia.9361

Tia.9361

Helseth lost 2 pips for WINNING. I don’t care what the system says, something like that is going to upset people, it doesn’t matter how much ‘sense’ it makes.

I feel for the OP. In my eyes hes been punished for trying when he should have been tanking.

in PvP

displacedTitan.6897

Helseth lost 2 pips for WINNING. I don’t care what the system says, something like that is going to upset people, it doesn’t matter how much ‘sense’ it makes.

I feel for the OP. In my eyes hes been punished for trying when he should have been tanking.

He lost two because his teammate disconnected so the game counted it as a loss. Silly but thats the way it works.

Also using any Ultra High MMR player to base conclusions on is kind of stupid, Helseth and the other pros will have a VASTLY different experience in ranked matchmaking than the typical player. Longer Q times and skewed matches, thats the downside of being really good.

The same thing happens to really good players in LoL and DOTA2, watch a stream and you will see how long it takes them to find a match and how lopsided they can be when the system goes and grabs a lower MMR player to fit the averages.

in PvP

Posted by: Mysticjedi.6053

Mysticjedi.6053

I’m seeing the opposite happen. It has been only one case and I’m not defending the system. Actually, it shows how flawed the system is. Faced a group yesterday that were all emerald rank, but clearly weren’t that great. They fought off point, chased people, and just respawned and ran into groups of 4 of us. My team won by over 200 points. Why does this matter. I got 2 pips for beating a group that was clearly awful. The only reason I can figure this happened is because they were Emerald ranked.

So, thank you, kind of, to mmr throwers you apparently are good for something.

in PvP

displacedTitan.6897

I’m seeing the opposite happen. It has been only one case and I’m not defending the system. Actually, it shows how flawed the system is. Faced a group yesterday that were all emerald rank, but clearly weren’t that great. They fought off point, chased people, and just respawned and ran into groups of 4 of us. My team won by over 200 points. Why does this matter. I got 2 pips for beating a group that was clearly awful. The only reason I can figure this happened is because they were Emerald ranked.

So, thank you, kind of, to mmr throwers you apparently are good for something.

Shhh let them keep throwing, I am really enjoying my two pip EZ wins.

in PvP

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

Also using any Ultra High MMR player to base conclusions on is kind of stupid

And yet he spent 5 hrs floundering in emerald, despite being a pro. Tia has a point, it may not be overly complicated but she has a point. Your rationalization of why it’s acceptable is kind of stupid.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

in PvP

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

Personally I want my MMR accurate not kittening artificially low. I want to have good matches, have a good time, learn from my playtime etc. What I don’t give two kittens about is “pips”.

Too bad players like me mostly left the game long ago. Nothing left but “karma train” in wvw and “glory(oldschool term yes) farm” in pvp.

No, no, no, no…. Fundamentally it’s not the players. It’s the responsibility of the game developers to make sure the design is sound and not exploitable. People will resort to the most dirty means possible to win at anything in this life if the rewards outweigh the risk. This is basic human behavior. It’s true in any competitive sports. Those who manage the game are solely responsible for the problems in GW2 sPvP.

I take the high road. I’m not going to engage in an exploit, but for those who do I’m not shocked. Just like I’m not shocked to learn when pro athletes use substances or do other inappropriate things to gain a win. If you think there is this magical world where everyone has virtue and integrity and just wants what’s best for everyone you are living in a dream and need the veil stripped away. We would all love to live there, but it’s not realistic.

Given that it’s not realistic it’s up to the enforcing powers that be (ArenaNet in this case) to take appropriate action and manage their product. Again the game studio must be held solely responsible for allowing exploitable behavior in the first place.

in PvP

Posted by: dank.3680

dank.3680

No, no, no, no…. Fundamentally it’s not the players. It’s the responsibility of the game developers to make sure the design is sound and not exploitable. People will resort to the most dirty means possible to win at anything in this life if the rewards outweigh the risk. This is basic human behavior. It’s true in any competitive sports. Those who manage the game are solely responsible for the problems in GW2 sPvP.

I take the high road. I’m not going to engage in an exploit, but for those who do I’m not shocked. Just like I’m not shocked to learn when pro athletes use substances or do other inappropriate things to gain a win. If you think there is this magical world where everyone has virtue and integrity and just wants what’s best for everyone you are living in a dream and need the veil stripped away. We would all love to live there, but it’s not realistic.

Given that it’s not realistic it’s up to the enforcing powers that be (ArenaNet in this case) to take appropriate action and manage their product. Again the game studio must be held solely responsible for allowing exploitable behavior in the first place.

I guess you are right, and I am so glad I didn’t pay 50$ for this. Though I feel really bad for my friend who had randomly gifted me HOT.

#MAGSWAG: All class player. XOXO