Lower tier ruby what do I need 2 do 2 win

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

I’m in the lower tier of ruby and struggling to put together win streaks. What is the main thing I need to focus on to win more matches?

match 1 504 – 466 Loss
match 2 500-340 Loss

in PvP

Posted by: ibkillin.9610

ibkillin.9610

Do yourself a favour and just stop playing. The MMR and class balance are screwed this season. Unless you want to play for hours and not even progress, but then that’s on you.

in PvP

Posted by: Random Weird Guy.3528

Random Weird Guy.3528

Had a quick look over some of your first match.

The first and largest issue here is lack of rotation. If your team is all at the same point and you kill someone, you need to consider what the player respawning is going to do next. If they are smart, they won’t continue to feed into the same fight and will instead look to grab your home node instead.

Remember that a player respawns in their base 15 seconds after they are finished. As a general rule, you want to be within sight of the route from their base to your home node (in this case the beach area on Forest) for when they respawn. This is as simple as counting to 15 when an enemy player is finished and proceeding to turn your camera so that you can see the beach area and run to your home node if you see someone on it.

If the player that was finished is a highly mobile class (e.g. thief), it may be wiser to assume that they will go for your home node on respawn and be prepared to defend your home node when they respawn. The more mobile the class that was finished is, the closer to your home node you want to be when they respawn.

Your team lost the first match despite winning most of the fights mostly due to this lack of rotation.

Random Engineering // Trixxti // Random Noises (worst thief eu)
Svanir Appreciation Society [SAS]

(edited by Random Weird Guy.3528)

in PvP

Posted by: eleshazar.6902

eleshazar.6902

Do yourself a favour and just stop playing. The MMR and class balance are screwed this season. Unless you want to play for hours and not even progress, but then that’s on you.

Honestly, go with this. I’m quitting the season too. I’ve been stuck on the last tier of saphire for the last ~35 games. Almost everyone has been a loss. I tried going at different times of day, different classes, etc. Doesn’t matter. Always lose. Their algorithm is utter trash as is balance. Do yourself a favor and just stop playing this season. You are only going to get more and more angry with the game. Leave it to anet to take what was a bad algorithm in season 1, and just make it worse.

All professions level 80| Champion Paragon, Phantom, Genius
Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] | Rank 80

in PvP

Posted by: Random Weird Guy.3528

Random Weird Guy.3528

I like how everyone immediately jumps on the #blameanet wagon without even bothering to look at the links.

Random Engineering // Trixxti // Random Noises (worst thief eu)
Svanir Appreciation Society [SAS]

in PvP

Posted by: Mister Fluffkin.7358

Mister Fluffkin.7358

I would say you really need to improve your personal gameplay. Youre a melee build, but it looks like youre trying to avoid any close combat. Your job is to smack the kitten out of them! Rotationwise theres a lot to improve as well, but i think you should defintely work on your gameplay first. Also you should try to break the habit of backpedling, this makes you a really easy target. There is definetly a lot to improve, so dont blame the matchmaking or your teammates. Just play and get better.

in PvP

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

(watching first one)

You could be a lot better mechanically. You misclick skills, you kind of stand around and do nothing during fights a lot. You should always be attacking, melee or range. You play one of the most durable classes in the game…get in there, draw there fire. You should be using thunderclap way more.

You stood around trying to stomp with multiple team mates… (when you have a gyro on top of this…)

You let them take your home for free and don’t pressure their far at all.

Not using LoS

Kind of kittening around with a rev off point, you kill him but you lose a team mate and lose mid. whereas you could have gotten that res (stealth gyro good)

That 2v1 (at beast)…took way too long, while home got decapped. Again, mechanical skills. Awareness.

Every fight you take you should ask yourself, is it a good fight? And why am I taking it?

fighting on mid, when they have it capped, and just not a good fight to take at that moment.. you just didn’t accomplish anything. No points, team mate died. Far was free to take (I think, its running while I type, I may miss a few details.)

Then at the end you go beast, when simple math will tell you that it will not give you a win. You let home get decaped on top of this.

Oh and the build looks questionable but I’m not a scrapper main.

Lot’s of mistakes, good luck!

(edited by Mightybird.6034)

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Are you EU? Queue with me!!!

in PvP

Faux Play.6104

Thanks. Agree that was the main factor. When you are 5 randoms some times everyone is on the same page and sometimes they aren’t. Is there a good rule to go by for who is supposed to go to different points, or positions people call ahead of time so you know who is going where? It seems like the team realized they screwed up overcommitting to mid, but then over reacted at the end.

Had a quick look over some of your first match.

The first and largest issue here is lack of rotation. If your team is all at the same point and you kill someone, you need to consider what the player respawning is going to do next. If they are smart, they won’t continue to feed into the same fight and will instead look to grab your home node instead.

Remember that a player respawns in their base 15 seconds after they are finished. As a general rule, you want to be within sight of the route from their base to your home node (in this case the beach area on Forest) for when they respawn. This is as simple as counting to 15 when an enemy player is finished and proceeding to turn your camera so that you can see the beach area and run to your home node if you see someone on it.

If the player that was finished is a highly mobile class (e.g. thief), it may be wiser to assume that they will go for your home node on respawn and be prepared to defend your home node when they respawn. The more mobile the class that was finished is, the closer to your home node you want to be when they respawn.

Your team lost the first match despite winning most of the fights mostly due to this lack of rotation.

in PvP

Faux Play.6104

Not EU sorry

Are you EU? Queue with me!!!

in PvP

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

If the queue goes over two minutes unclick queue and try again in 10.

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

if q > 2 mins,

does it mean mm hav trouble finding players similar to my mmr and may fetch me some garbo players ?

or ?

in PvP

Posted by: Crimson Shi.5047

Crimson Shi.5047

If you want to listen to the naysayers, and quit you can. It’s nice to see people actually giving advice out, and tips. Listen to those if you want to improve better as a player. Keep recording, and note your mistakes then adapt.

in PvP

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

if q > 2 mins,

does it mean mm hav trouble finding players similar to my mmr and may fetch me some garbo players ?

or ?

Not just that but also the chance for your opponents to be even better.

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

if q > 2 mins,

or ?

Not just that but also the chance for your opponents to be even better.

ooo !!!

okies thanks !!

o kitten, my solo queues wait time normally around 2 – 4 minutes !!

in PvP

Faux Play.6104

Thanks for commenting. Am trying to get better with the build, but obviously I need more practice at it. Thunderclap was off cool down for a while.

As for the aggressiveness, they had a Nero and a Mesmer. I don’t do well against their condition pressure, so I didn’t want to overextend. We didn’t have an ele, so I didn’t think I’d be able to get much team support. It is probably just a skill level issue, but I felt like if I pushed much harder I would die. I ended up doing 427k direct and 7k condition and taking 241k physical and 123 condition damage. What are respectable numbers for a match that was mostly spent in team fights?

When I engaged the Nero, I felt our Revenent was going to die and the Nero would end up with home. The Nero was able to kill my rez gyro before it saved the Rev, but I was able to kill the Nero and keep it off home. We wouldn’t have lost home at that point if the guardian wouldn’t have stood in the spawn for 15 seconds after it spawned. I didn’t use stealth gyro because I didn’t take it. I think the elixir is better when there aren’t a lot of thieves. The moa potion is great for finishing off low health people, especially Necros that pop shroud right before they are going to die. To be honest, I don’t think the gyro is very good for rezing. It sits on top of you so it isn’t like people don’t know where you are, and anyone who was paying attention knows they can just attack the area where the person died unless it is a mesmer/Ele/Thief

The mid fight started 2v2 and I thought we could pressure them off the point enough to recap it. They did a good job holding the last tic on it until the rest of the team came in.

With the beast, I was more worried about losing if the other team got the beast, but I should have backed out sooner when I saw the Messer going for it too.

(watching first one)

You could be a lot better mechanically. You misclick skills, you kind of stand around and do nothing during fights a lot. You should always be attacking, melee or range. You play one of the most durable classes in the game…get in there, draw there fire. You should be using thunderclap way more.

You stood around trying to stomp with multiple team mates… (when you have a gyro on top of this…)

You let them take your home for free and don’t pressure their far at all.

Not using LoS

Kind of kittening around with a rev off point, you kill him but you lose a team mate and lose mid. whereas you could have gotten that res (stealth gyro good)

That 2v1 (at beast)…took way too long, while home got decapped. Again, mechanical skills. Awareness.

Every fight you take you should ask yourself, is it a good fight? And why am I taking it?

fighting on mid, when they have it capped, and just not a good fight to take at that moment.. you just didn’t accomplish anything. No points, team mate died. Far was free to take (I think, its running while I type, I may miss a few details.)

Then at the end you go beast, when simple math will tell you that it will not give you a win. You let home get decaped on top of this.

Oh and the build looks questionable but I’m not a scrapper main.

Lot’s of mistakes, good luck!

in PvP

Mightybird.6034

Maybe a scrapper main can comment but the build does sound reasonable/good. Yeah, some calls weren’t too bad.

Respectable numbers are 500k-800k. Perfect/best I’ve seen is up to a million. But damage sort of matters and sort of doesn’t. You want to create fast rotations, favorable conditions, and snowball effects. That could easily mean you take a roll that doesn’t deal a lot of damage too.

If you are farming people 1v1 at far, you won’t have as much damage. Or if you are constantly stalling in 1v2 1v3ing people at far and letting your team get easy wins at mid, for instance.

in PvP

Posted by: Tiffany.8576

Tiffany.8576

Just watched Match 1. Some random observations:

At the start of the game you blast the lightning field with Acid Bomb. That’s good, although this is the first and only time you use Acid Bomb in the whole game. You should be making more use of this skill by deploying it on points during team fights for extra cleave, on downed enemies etc. You can also use it to blast the water field from your Healing Turret for additional healing. Additionally, you can deploy/blast your Healing Turret in the lightning field at the beginning of the game for extra swiftness in addition to the Acid Bomb.

Speaking of healing, you could be getting a lot more value from your Healing Turret if you made better use of the combos available to you. After deploying the water field, you should be using hammer 3 to leap through it for additional heals or the aforementioned Acid Bomb. I don’t think I ever saw you utilize a combo in a water field and this is key to an engi’s high sustain when pressured. Definitely something to learn/work on. Your F1 skill is also a water field which can be used for combos.

The guardian on your team makes some interesting rotations. Gets home decapped by rotating from home -> roads for no real reason, then moves to mid to 5-man it whilst side capped. The mesmer pulls off to deal with close while you sustain mid and get kills at around the 4 minute mark. Your team is in a reasonably good position at this point.

You lose the team fight at mid by 5:30, but your guardian fully capped far and your revenant got the beast steal at home from the necro. It is important to note that you are 4v5 at this point on the map, as your druid disconnected at around 5:25 and took a minute and a half to get back into the game.

You kind of threw after losing the team fight at mid as you rotated, for some reason, from the losing fight at mid to the close neutral area to 1v2 the necro. Rotating to far to +1 your guardian may have been a much better option here, as it was your point and very likely the enemy team would come to plus him from the fight they won at mid. As it stands, he unfortunately lost the 1v1 to the enemy revenant quite quickly anyway but if you were there you could have killed the rev and kept control of far, or sustained the team fight on that node if rotations came in. Your revenant could have disengaged from the necro back to home and your mesmer was on respawn, who could have took the home defense with the revenant if need be. Even assuming doing what you did and rotating towards home was a reasonable call at the time, losing home node whilst you took a pointless and lengthy 1v2 off-node was quite costly.

The game was certainly not over by this point and your disconnected druid got back into the game at around 6:45. You both rotate to home briefly to full cap the point (poor map awareness on your part as you should have seen the druid coming from spawn to do exactly this) and your guardian gets a far decap. He is going to have incoming though as the enemy players who ganked your memser in the roads (the rev and the druid) rotate to defend far. Instead of you rotating to far and taking the 2v2 on a neutral node, you chose to rotate to mid and take the 2v2 on an enemy capped point. Your guardian dies 1v2 and it takes you an eternity to decap mid, then you eventually lose the team fight there.

Meanwhile the guardian off respawn gets another far decap, then attempts to steal the far beast from the necro. He unfortunately fails to get the steal and is left in an unfavorable 1v1 with the enemy necro at the beast area, with the far point being neutral. At this point in time you’re tunnel visioning on pointless fights in the roads below mid. The enemy team is 35 points up and in your mind you should be thinking about what plays you can personally make to win the game. Far is still decapped by this stage and the winning play here is to try and force the 2-cap by going to full cap far, or at least taking the team fight there and hopefully winning it. The guardian could have brought his awkward 1v1 back to the node, or you could have got the gank on the necro then 1v2’d the enemy who rotated into the far node and then fully capped the point. At this point in the game, you would have still won on a 2-cap without needing additional points from kills or beasts.

Instead, you waste time in the pointless roads fight, waste further time by briefly moving towards mid then chose probably the absolute worst option available to you by randomly deciding to 1v2 the close beast which is of zero value to your team whatsoever at this stage whilst the guardian dies to the necro and far gets fully capped by the enemy, taking away your only chance to win the game. The rest of your team continue tunnel visioning on mid and losing the fights. The game is over at this point.

The close nature of the score should tell you that this match was certainly winnable and you could have made the difference necessary to get the W, but missed several opportunities to potentially do so. You may have still lost the game anyway due to situations on the map outside of your control, of course, but you should strive to always play to win and make plays that put your team in the best possible situations. You definitely missed several chances to do so in this match and looking over your gameplay and identifying these potential situations then applying them in future games could certainly help improve your ability to do so.

Only briefly watched match 2, but it’s more of the same. Poor use of healing combos, tunnel visioning on the mid point when it’s an unfavorable fight (especially on Foefire where it’s incredibly difficult to decap mid if they have bunkers there) and pushing far would make more sense, staying in fights where you’re outnumbering enemy elementalists on your capped nodes allowing them to waste your time, etc. All these you should work on.

Good luck.

Tiff | [TW] Tempest Wolves | WvW Staff Tempest Guide
NA/EU sPvP Elementalist

(edited by Tiffany.8576)

in PvP

Mightybird.6034

Really well thought out feedback Tiff, much better than mine.

in PvP

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

Saw the first link. that guard you had did nothing most of the match. you were basically 4 v 5 2/3 of the match. There are times you just can’t carry hard enough.

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

From the first bit of the first video, I can point out two big things for you to improve on:

1) Swap out the Purge Gyro for Slick Shoes. This skill is absolutely crucial if you use it well. This will secure kills, prevent revives/stomps, and allow you to escape fights that go badly. Purge gyro is nice against necros, but it won’t save you. You also get a second stun break, which is again crucial.

2) Spend less time walking around and more time using your skills. You should always be casting something in a fight, even if it’s just the autoattack on the elixir gun while you have to stay back. However, you wasted a LOT of time just trying to decide where to go and what to do. You would have started that mid fight a lot better if you just popped Elixir X and jumped into the mid. If you get pressured too much, you can always dip back out of the fight and drop the transform, but when you stand back, you let the enemy get the cap advantage of the point.

Anyways, I hope you have gotten the advice you’re looking for here and good luck on your games. Also, kudos to you for not jumping on the melodramatic self-pity party that others are trying to throw.

Play well and you will win games. Play better and you’ll win more.

in PvP

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

I really don’t get why people are jumping on this guy tell him to play better. Is he the best engi out there, most likely not. Could he have done better , most likely yes. But it’s very CLEAR he is carrying this team hard . If he had someone who is ‘similar skilled’ as him on his team he would have won those matches pretty easy. If you replace him with someone who really is ‘similar skilled’ with his teammates, those matches would be blow outs.

in PvP

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

This..this right here is why I ended my season.

It is a credit to you that you are seeking advice. I hope you gain some pearls that allows you progress and better your play.

However, at ruby division the team overall didn’t communicate well at all. I suspect there was no sigil or amulet swaps pre match/alt swaps. It appears players have progressed their way to a division that they shouldn’t be in.

It becomes immensely difficult to carry when you have what I call 4 average/bad players. They play a solid average game in 1 vs 1 situations, and they feel that is important and vital to success, however they don’t make use of the mini map, don’t make solid rotation decisions and they tend to run builds that are more orientated on the selfish than the selfless.

My best advice overall would be start duo/trio teams.
Communicate solidly about what role each of you will take.
Discuss when/circumstances which one of you will peel to support home.
Don’t focus on far until your team is very solid with each other. Just focus on holding 2
Design builds that work well with each other.
Have alts ready to go when you come across team comps that will hard counter you.

This is my biggest disappointment with this season. A lot of players have progressed to a level where better builds won’t win for you, or better play won’t win for you…you now need superior communication and tactics if you want to win consistently, yet so many players won’t say a word pre-match or do a thing to improve tactics or game plan.

If you can’t get a semi team together, play unranked, because your match quality moving forward will be of unranked quality all the while your tanking your MMR for any future seasons.

This is basically where I am at. I won’t play ranked anymore until 2 of my guild mates are there in my team. I have just become too frustrated with trying to habitually keep an eye on too many average/bad team mates that refuse to communicate or even make an attempt at being a team.

in PvP

Faux Play.6104

Thanks for the support xD. I don’t’ feel like I’m being jumped on though. The team lost and I know if I played better I could have made a difference. Mechanically there are things I’m not executing naturally, and conceptually there are still things I’m not getting as far as what is the best move to make. I know what my thought process was for the match and it is good to hear what others that know the game better would have done differently.

I really don’t get why people are jumping on this guy tell him to play better. Is he the best engi out there, most likely not. Could he have done better , most likely yes. But it’s very CLEAR he is carrying this team hard . If he had someone who is ‘similar skilled’ as him on his team he would have won those matches pretty easy. If you replace him with someone who really is ‘similar skilled’ with his teammates, those matches would be blow outs.

in PvP

Faux Play.6104

1) Agree. I have been experimenting with different options though due to my inability to avoid conditions from Mesmers/Necromancers, and the lack of party cleanses at this level. You’ll probably see me hit the poison field a few times when I was looking for the speed boost from slick shoes out of habit. F3 in this case.

2) I’d like to say it was because I didn’t want to spam skills through confusion, but most of it is I’m thinking too much about what to do vs. knowing what to do.

From the first bit of the first video, I can point out two big things for you to improve on:

1) Swap out the Purge Gyro for Slick Shoes. This skill is absolutely crucial if you use it well. This will secure kills, prevent revives/stomps, and allow you to escape fights that go badly. Purge gyro is nice against necros, but it won’t save you. You also get a second stun break, which is again crucial.

2) Spend less time walking around and more time using your skills. You should always be casting something in a fight, even if it’s just the autoattack on the elixir gun while you have to stay back. However, you wasted a LOT of time just trying to decide where to go and what to do. You would have started that mid fight a lot better if you just popped Elixir X and jumped into the mid. If you get pressured too much, you can always dip back out of the fight and drop the transform, but when you stand back, you let the enemy get the cap advantage of the point.

Anyways, I hope you have gotten the advice you’re looking for here and good luck on your games. Also, kudos to you for not jumping on the melodramatic self-pity party that others are trying to throw.

Play well and you will win games. Play better and you’ll win more.

in PvP

Posted by: ibkillin.9610

ibkillin.9610

I like how everyone immediately jumps on the #blameanet wagon without even bothering to look at the links.

Considering Anet are the developers responsible for implementing a NOW CONFIRMED broken system…..I think players have a right to voice their frustration with them. The devs for a long time have been either hush hush or just basically say it’s pretty much working as intended (which it is not).

We were told the meta would be “shaken up” at the start of a season. So why are the meta classes basically the exact same as last season? We still got the OP Reapers, OP Druid Bunker, OP Scrapper builds….ya the only thing they shook was their butts in our faces.