MMR is broken

MMR is broken

in PvP

Posted by: karnast.9603

karnast.9603

This is not a new statement but I am tired of my rating going down for others inexperience or fight focus over map focus.
What I would like to see is a fair rating system bronze-legend that is based on your skills, not the group of pugs you have no choice of. Your contribution to each match by the current award system or a new one, maybe only on the losses and the winning team splits the reward even, but a guy that runs in mid 3 v 1 over and over or a thief that never caps should not effect my rating. Team based game but no choice of members in that team result in a skewed personal rating with the rewards being 20g a day win or lose.

MMR is broken

in PvP

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

Sounds like GW2’s sPvP is not for you.

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys

MMR is broken

in PvP

Posted by: Rodzynald.5897

Rodzynald.5897

Sounds like GW2’s sPvP is not for you.

But for what reason? It is making me wonder as well because this season is the most frustrating one I’ve ever had in any PvP game I’ve played.
Something is off about matchmaking lately, my win ratio fell so horribly that I can’t get past 163x rating no matter how good I play or rotate. Of course I’ve experienced matches, close calls that could have gone better, ain’t gonna be bleedin’ about it. But still, a vast majority of those games that I won and lost were due to stack of inexperienced players in my team or in the enemy team. Just looking at how they use skills, move around the map and it is easily to guess what their level is more or less.
I do not spill salt, when I do I just talk to myself doing an annoyed face in the mirror for giggles, but during these past few days I’ve turned into a salt mine
This rustles my jimmies very hard when I see some of my friends on my friend list who were lower than me for last 3-4 seasons and suddenly in the course of last two weeks they even got to 250 and a bunch of others fell, even to gold (I was in 250 too but I didn’t get a title due to not enough games played). When I go with them for some unranked or 1v1 for fun I do not see much of a change in their real skill if it got worse or better, they can say the same about me. This is really confusing when I see such a big change in rating throughout the ladderboard. I hardly believe that some of those players I know got better in two weeks while being decent for as long as I know them. How did that happen? I’ve never ever had such issues with PvP mode in any other game and every gw2 pvp season until the current one in the last 3 weeks of it.

P.S.
I tried duo and it is kind of working but I do not have all reliable friends online when I can play. Also I tried playing at various hours even at night or early morning when, as some say, you can "farm silvers" but it’s too risky, losing -20 points when I end up in a team consists of silvers against silvers with 2-3 plat/lege players. I start to think that karma got me for something I might have done in the past and Lady Luck flipped a big ol’ bird at me T^T

Guardian is meant for jolly crusading.

(edited by Rodzynald.5897)

MMR is broken

in PvP

Reaper Alim.4176

I’ve placed bronze every since the new Ranked League. Very crappy matches. People told me I need to just Git Gud because it’s my fault.

I stopped feeding myself to the duo queuers. I stopped QQing and stopped playing ranked. This was all solo queue.

The one season I decide to duo queue on comms. This is the result yesterday……

http://imgur.com/VCqlcUh

So now what guys? What are you going to tell me, when I once again say MM is broken. And just feeds solo queuers to lose to duos and top 250. Me in my friend had the privileged, if you want to call it that of facing a duo on the other team. That was in the top 250 befriended him to see two game back to back.

Of course we lost 1st game, however surprisingly won the 2nd game. All our games felt like we was still at the mercy of the MM. Just a bit less then normally when we solo queue.

My conclusion is as the same. The MM is one of the worst MM systems I’ve partook in a Rated video game. It is also completely unfair and bias. Thus eliminating any type of meaningful matches.

You go from zero to hero with this match maker just by DUO QUEUING. If you are solo queuing you might as well be committing MMR/Rating suicide. Because the match maker does the complete opposite of what it’s suppose to do.

Just another of my 2 cents.

But at least I admit it!

MMR is broken

in PvP

Posted by: duster.7013

duster.7013

Bronze players saying git gud is a non word. Bots right now are literally placing into silver. I guarauntee you I could 1v1 these people and win 100% for like 7 days straight.

MMR is broken

in PvP

Posted by: Toan.7326

Toan.7326

Im not master of PVP but bad people does always complain about pvp. 1 more thing is it’s so easy to join ranked pvp in this game. Shut up and take my money for Heart of Throne then let me click to join ranked pvp. If we had bot ingame I think it’s alot better than human I guess lol

(edited by Toan.7326)

MMR is broken

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

I’ve placed bronze every since the new Ranked League.

Wow, this actually explains the tone in all of your posts.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

MMR is broken

in PvP

Toan.7326

https://postimg.org/image/t9kj16xez/

I was blue and only cap bell. I was 1 vs 2. I pinged like crazy but noone cared.
The rest of my team stayed mid for whole time and thief didnt give a kitten on decap.

Ranked PVP how it actually works

(edited by Toan.7326)

MMR is broken

in PvP

Rodzynald.5897

I was blue and only cap bell. I was 1 vs 2. I pinged like crazy but noone cared.
The rest of my team stayed mid for whole time and thief didnt give a kitten on decap.

It further shows that you are on the mercy of what teammates you get. I wonder why solo is so risky while there are a handful of players who solo into 250. With such volatile and lopsided matches it is hardly to bielieve that anyone can solo out into high 250, but it happens, and I deny to acknowledge that it is just by the sole skill of one person that changes the outcome. Is this some account bound bias for having good players in the team? I’ve never believed that and thought it’s just a QQ excuse... but after this season it really makes me think there is something behind it, this random factor.

MMR is broken

in PvP

Posted by: Abelisk.4527

Abelisk.4527

That’s why you don’t solo queue. If you have a duo who understands what he/she’s doing then the odds of you winning are much greater.

Let’s say the three pugs on your team feed mid. You and your partner can grab sides and win 1v1s if both of you are good, allowing for the enemy team to rotate out of mid and make it easier for your team to win teamfights.

MMR is broken

in PvP

Rodzynald.5897

That’s why you don’t solo queue. If you have a duo who understands what he/she’s doing then the odds of you winning are much greater.

Let’s say the three pugs on your team feed mid. You and your partner can grab sides and win 1v1s if both of you are good, allowing for the enemy team to rotate out of mid and make it easier for your team to win teamfights.

It works if the enemy team is not stupid and CC’s you to stay on mid. If you aren’t a mobile class you will get chased and forced to burn a few cooldowns before you fight on point which already puts you at a huge disadvantage. It all depends, we can just theorycraft here and there will always be a counter to every possible situation presented. It’s not only about our team but the opposing as well but it’s not really a problem, some play better some are not that good, it’s natural to lose and win. The thing is that matches where the enemy team or your team holds the opposing side by the throat throughout the whole match happens way too often for such gamemode. This is the first game where I see so many helpless situations, even in WoW/Lineage II during lesser or biggers fights there was some way to even the odds a bit to at least not lose in a huge point gap and investigate the mistakes you did. Here? If you get roflstomped you can’t even pinpoint mistakes you made because you tend to end up in outnumbered fights where only you or some other player tries to focus a target while the rest of the team either runs to their death or attacks random targets.

On the side note, it would be amusing to have ranked match button activated by using your keys meant for setting up a target focus

MMR is broken

in PvP

Toan.7326

It further shows that you are on the mercy of what teammates you get. I wonder why solo is so risky while there are a handful of players who solo into 250. With such volatile and lopsided matches it is hardly to bielieve that anyone can solo out into high 250, but it happens, and I deny to acknowledge that it is just by the sole skill of one person that changes the outcome. Is this some account bound bias for having good players in the team? I’ve never believed that and thought it’s just a QQ excuse… but after this season it really makes me think there is something behind it, this random factor.

Are you PvE buddy, look at the thief and my whole team. What did they do then, they didnt bother to get home back or get far. Dude I think your partner carried you badly.
Sorry mate but I still get 2k4 3s in WoW with pug tho. WoW starts from 0 to Gladiator, GW2 stats from 1500 to 900. Im not master of PvP but from what you said I think you are not better than me much.

(edited by Toan.7326)

MMR is broken

in PvP

Posted by: SneakyTouchy.6043

SneakyTouchy.6043

Some of these threads are turning pungent.

The MMR system is broken, but bad players are degrading the reasons why.

If you’re getting bad team mates, it should mean that your rating is high. If you want to go higher, you have to prove you can carry. That’s what rating should be for. Climbing should result in being matched with worse and worse players.

What makes MMR broken is that your end reward is based on the skill split between you and your own team mates. You get low points for winning if you have the most out of all the players on your team. This means you get little for carrying. You get a lot of you had the lowest MMR, meaning you get a high reward for being carried. This is slowing down and disrupting the ranking system. It shouldn’t matter where anyone on the team is because the contribution should be assumed unknown.

What also makes MMR broken is that teams aren’t balanced at the start. There’s a chance that all the good players can end up on one team and there’s no payout differentiation in the end because of it. Bad players on a team stacked with a higher average MMR get unfairly rewarded a large amount of points, while good players on a team with very low average MMR, who are expected to carry, get unfairly penalized. They lose more than anyone because they had the highest MMR on their team. This is the scenario where they have all the tops yet lose for -24 points. If they had just barely managed to carry a win, they would have gotten +6. The match produces a distortion of ratings and this happens frequently.

In an environment where matches are balanced as closely as possible, and members are rewarded or penalized equally based on the split between both teams in average MMR, players will find their appropriate ranks more quickly and experience a greater quantity of competitive matches.

I don’t have a reason to be particularly angry. I have a 60% win ratio somewhere in platinum, but I can still tell there are logical problems in the MMR system that will create problems for many. However, complaining that your ranking is not high enough because you’re not being carried is absolutely ridiculous.

(edited by SneakyTouchy.6043)

MMR is broken

in PvP

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

You need to link the pseudo code and tell us exactly what is broken.

Or you are just complaining for nothing. This is pointless.

MMR is broken

in PvP

Rodzynald.5897

Sorry mate but I still get 2k4 3s in WoW with pug tho. WoW starts from 0 to Gladiator, GW2 stats from 1500 to 900. Im not master of PvP but from what you said I think you are not better than me much.

What do you mean by "stats from 1500 to 900"? you mean rank points?

Some of these threads are turning pungent.

The MMR system is broken, but bad players are degrading the reasons why.

If you’re getting bad team mates, it should mean that your rating is high. If you want to go higher, you have to prove you can carry. That’s what rating should be for. Climbing should result in being matched with worse and worse players.

You are very right, but let’s put weak teammates away for a bit. I can very well try and carry against a team of my level or slightly above, ez pz lmn sqz. But when by the looks of the game I can tell that I, along with one or two more people we carry the rest of the team while the opposing team just waltz in on our faces because they are stacked with all good and well-rounded players, how do we carry it to win? I am cool about it tho, it will happen, always does. The thing is how often it happens, that’s the real problem. And if it comes to the match itself, I don’t feel displeased about not being carried, I don’t need to be carried and I will gladly help lesser teammates, but wouldn’t it be good if the opposing team had some to carry as well? Now about 8 out of 10 matches are kind of: one team has 2-3 people to carry and the second one is 5 decent players (so you win or lose in a huge skill gap). To see who is better at carrying, now that is interesting indeed.

MMR is broken

in PvP

Posted by: megilandil.7506

megilandil.7506

This is not a new statement but I am tired of my rating going down for others inexperience or fight focus over map focus.
What I would like to see is a fair rating system bronze-legend that is based on your skills, not the group of pugs you have no choice of. Your contribution to each match by the current award system or a new one, maybe only on the losses and the winning team splits the reward even, but a guy that runs in mid 3 v 1 over and over or a thief that never caps should not effect my rating. Team based game but no choice of members in that team result in a skewed personal rating with the rewards being 20g a day win or lose.

a thief that never caps…..
im so unluky whith thieves , if a thief apears on my team sure (9 /10)is a p/p who thinks their job is gunshoting people in mid or whorse,
but reading that of a thief not caping ,makes me comprehend the thief point of view about saltiness on thieves, a thief only have to cap if other points are clearly secured… if not they have better thinks to do than stay on point for capping, major contribution of thieves is +1/ negating points to rivals(decap).

MMR is broken

in PvP

Reaper Alim.4176

Ok and yet you ignore the fact that I placed Gold Tier 2 this season. Attack my arguments not me.

Nothing really changed in my skill level…… Actually I’ll honestlly will say I’m a lower skill then prior seasons. However the 1st season I decide to delete some randomess from my match I get place Gold 2 off of the rip?

Lol, you can said I’m a bad player all you want. however Rating is going to put me above alot of players this season. And I haven’t really played sPvP since season 5. For the obvious reasons and headaches.

So did I just get good from not playing? Or have the MM just been screwing me this whole time. As I’ve complained about in the past…. People Throwing most of my matches……. People not giving a single care on my team….. Highly unfair match ups to boot……

But yeah throw the whole you was bronze so you was just bad type thing. I’ll just laugh.

Now that I’ve got to see the system from both sides of the stick. My prior thoughts have been completely confirmed. ||| This game has one of the worst Match Maker systems I have ever played in a Rated Video Game. |||

Yall can attack me till the cows come home. It just will not change the facts of what people are complaining about. I just stopped bothering complaining, and moved to a actual PvP game. And barely bother with GW2’s sPvP unless a friend or such begs me to join them, and I’m feeling in a Yolo mood at that time.

Good Day

But at least I admit it!

(edited by Reaper Alim.4176)

MMR is broken

in PvP

Posted by: Abazigal.3679

Abazigal.3679

This isn’t the worst match maker system, actually this is very similar to many games. But you are the perfect example of why this isn’t working. If someone usually placed on bronze finally gets placed on gold tier 2, basically anyone can be put at any rank along seasons, regarding luck on placement games.

This is why seasons should work differently, and have a huge leaderboard

MMR is broken

in PvP

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

Ok and yet you ignore the fact that I placed Gold Tier 2 this season. Attack my arguments not me.

Nothing really changed in my skill level…… Actually I’ll honestlly will say I’m a lower skill then prior seasons. However the 1st season I decide to delete some randomess from my match I get place Gold 2 off of the rip?

Lol, you can said I’m a bad player all you want. however Rating is going to put me above alot of players this season. And I haven’t really played sPvP since season 5. For the obvious reasons and headaches.

So did I just get good from not playing? Or have the MM just been screwing me this whole time. As I’ve complained about in the past…. People Throwing most of my matches……. People not giving a single care on my team….. Highly unfair match ups to boot……

But yeah throw the whole you was bronze so you was just bad type thing. I’ll just laugh.

Now that I’ve got to see the system from both sides of the stick. My prior thoughts have been completely confirmed. ||| This game has one of the worst Match Maker systems I have ever played in a Rated Video Game. |||

Yall can attack me till the cows come home. It just will not change the facts of what people are complaining about. I just stopped bothering complaining, and moved to a actual PvP game. And barely bother with GW2’s sPvP unless a friend or such begs me to join them, and I’m feeling in a Yolo mood at that time.

Good Day

Getting placed gold 2 doesn’t mean much if you then proceed to drop back down to bronze by playing the minimum number of games required for the season. For example, I placed 1207 after winning 6/10 in placement. My friend won 4/10 and placed 1247. However, after placement I climbed to platinum 1 and he fell to silver 2.

Placement is only 10 games. It can only be so accurate. That’s why your rating gain/loss is so high initially, to account for the fact that you probably aren’t placed with 100% accuracy based on what is essentially a snapshot. The high gain/loss in the matches following placement help you get where you should be more quickly. And the more matches you play, the more your rating reflects your skill level.

Bad matches happen. Sometimes they happen in streaks and it feels like matchmaking is totally broken. I feel you. I had a 10+ loss streak yesterday, falling from 1557 down to 1430. Literally my match history showed 100% red! And most of those games weren’t even close. Bad luck? Sure. But today I’m back in platinum with match history showing 8/10 wins.

Bad luck can drop your rating in the short term, but eventually if you belong in a higher tier your skill will make the difference in enough matches to bring your rating back up. It’s not due to luck that I was able to climb to platinum 1 while my friend who placed higher than I did initially fell to silver and can’t climb out. Luck explains our placement results, but not where we find ourselves at the end of the season.

MMR is broken

in PvP

Posted by: Mika.2057

Mika.2057

I don’t know know for you but my win ratio seems to really be influenced by the time of the day I play.

This season I played mostly during the day (between 11am and 3pm EST) and that’s when my lose streak were the worse. The few times I played in the evening it was a complete reverse situation, having a win ratio of sometime 7-8/10 matches.

So I guess it has to do with the player pool too. But I get that sometimes it’s frustrating.

MMR is broken

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

Good Day

Never made a single statement on your skill level nor did I attack you. You simply jumped to a ton of assumptions and went off on that adorable rant. Lol.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

MMR is broken

in PvP

Rodzynald.5897

I don’t know know for you but my win ratio seems to really be influenced by the time of the day I play.

This season I played mostly during the day (between 11am and 3pm EST) and that’s when my lose streak were the worse. The few times I played in the evening it was a complete reverse situation, having a win ratio of sometime 7-8/10 matches.

So I guess it has to do with the player pool too. But I get that sometimes it’s frustrating.

All previous seasons it worked like that for me too. This season it doesn’t matter during what hours I play, I have the same win/loss ratio.