MMR is still a lie

MMR is still a lie

in PvP

Posted by: void.6217

void.6217

OK, 3 weeks into this season, I played another 20 games today.

One win out of 20, as usual, no progress, all blowouts.

I’m not playing at my level as promised.

Everything Anet tells you about how MMR works is a big fat lie so far, proven by statistics.

See you next week!

MMR is still a lie

in PvP

Posted by: SneakyTouchy.6043

SneakyTouchy.6043

I got to Ruby through 5 man parties within the guild. For whatever reason, most of us have burnt MMR from screwing around last season, so running soloQ has given each of us a w/l ratio about 0.1. Yet when we group together, it’s a guaranteed win-streak…

Whoever designed this MMR system had a major brain fart. I hope they remove it, or at least periodically reset the values.

MMR is still a lie

in PvP

void.6217

Well, I played 260 games and I got only one 3 games win-streak, if you can call it that, in amber, 3 times I had 2 wins in a row. Been playing for 3 weeks from the very start.

It’s hard to find a guild that would be able to do ranked pvp and except new players on the team.

Considering “the community” all you get is various “l2p no one is here to carry you noob” kinda stuff, so soloQ is the only option.

And it’s funny how Anet insists on their formulas working while the system is not functioning after and throughout 20 days.

MMR is still a lie

in PvP

Posted by: Celeras.4980

Celeras.4980

Counterpoint: the system is working perfectly and you are placed exactly where you currently belong on the ladder.

MMR is still a lie

in PvP

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Counterpoint: the system is working perfectly and you are placed exactly where you currently belong on the ladder.

That is more a counter opinion than a counter point.

The system eventually working (hopefully before season end) is arguable but “perfectly” is not. It has loop holes and an imperfect metric for individuals.

MMR is still a lie

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

@Celeras.4980

I find myself wondering if you are trolling or not. The system was deliberately set up to heavily favor a minority of players. How does that place people “exactly where you currently belong?”

Please explain.

Mesmerising Girl

MMR is still a lie

in PvP

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

I played a few games on my second non-hot account today to just get a bit of distance to the current situation in ruby. Made it to emerald without loosing, logged out…

Did I get favored by the system? I definitely got better teammates than last season, and only last two games were even remotely close with an ele on opposing team playing on my team’s level (no clue why he ended up over there, probably due to mmr tanking in last season, poor schmuck).

But I digress. Point is, I dont belong in amber, I really dont, not even on a non-hot account. So the system lets me blow through amber to probably somewhere mid sapphire, where I reached all I can do with a non-hot account. Might grind it out to ruby, or not.
I have over 3k games played. 1.6k in ranked alone… a few hundreds in team arena and another 500 or so in solo arena (old arenas).
My overall account winrate for ranked was around 60% at season start, it still is > 50% (thank god, again… I dropped below 50% once).

What do those stats tell you? Compared to someone that admittedly just started out on playing pvp competitive… I should be higher and get there without real trouble.

Take it as a learning experience… reflect on your playstyle… we are probably gonna see 2 or more seasons this year… there is no rush. Maybe you will make it to legendary in season 5… and thats okay, because that means you steadily progressed and learned.

Look at those progamers statistics that blew through to diamond and then legendary…. they have mostly all 5k+ games played. Why should someone with <1k games played be on the same level?

MMR is still a lie

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Yet anet acknowledge that the system isn’t working.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

MMR is still a lie

in PvP

Posted by: SneakyTouchy.6043

SneakyTouchy.6043

Do you have a source for that? Ive been looking

MMR is still a lie

in PvP

Posted by: Bristingr.5034

Bristingr.5034

This system is so flawed. I’m done with it. Going back to where PvP is actually fun. You know, World vs. World.
This isn’t worth the kittening wings anymore. It’s impossible for me to win.

MMR is still a lie

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Do you have a source for that? Ive been looking

The reddit AMA its in the summary posted today here.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

MMR is still a lie

in PvP

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

If you seriously winning 1/20 games then I think there is something wrong with the way you play. I honestly don’t even believe you have 1/20 win rate ,you probably are just exaggerating to get attention .

Some must fight so that all may be free.

MMR is still a lie

in PvP

void.6217

If you seriously winning 1/20 games then I think there is something wrong with the way you play. I honestly don’t even believe you have 1/20 win rate ,you probably are just exaggerating to get attention .

If you are playing at your level, your games should be more or less equal and your win rate should be close to 50/50.

Curiously enough, all people here claiming they have huge win-steaks, 20-30-40 games in a row, as much as it makes them happy, are also a proof that the system doesn’t work because that means they are not playing at their level either.

Unless you also accuse them all of lying…

MMR is still a lie

in PvP

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

I got to Ruby through 5 man parties within the guild. For whatever reason, most of us have burnt MMR from screwing around last season, so running soloQ has given each of us a w/l ratio about 0.1. Yet when we group together, it’s a guaranteed win-streak…

Whoever designed this MMR system had a major brain fart. I hope they remove it, or at least periodically reset the values.

I skipped s1 entirely because I didn’t like the stalemates that the bunker meta provided. Plus I main a thief and a thief meant guaranteed loss in that meta. I share your experience. I went into sapphire with no defeats but once there the soloQ was so stiff, I got blowouts every single game. I was being matched with first timers (I honestly can’t fathom how they got into sapphire, they are truly baddies) against legendary players from last season. I was top scorer of the team, every single time but still lost. By a large margin nonetheless. You could just sense the focus i was getting few minutes into the game.

The first guys I made a win with I asked them to make a premade. I’m getting Ruby tonight. That’s in 2 days. While I was being in tier 1 with 0 pips for 3-4 days before getting this team. I’m not winning every game, but I mostly win.

Above all – no loss streaks.

(edited by Ravenmoon.5318)

MMR is still a lie

in PvP

Posted by: Celeras.4980

Celeras.4980

@Celeras.4980

I find myself wondering if you are trolling or not. The system was deliberately set up to heavily favor a minority of players. How does that place people “exactly where you currently belong?”

Please explain.

Sure.

If a team of your skill level is unable to win more than 50% of its games or put together win streaks, then you are exactly where you belong on the ladder. Your opponents, who are in the same pip range as you, deserve to climb. You do not.

Alternatively, if you win “1/20” games like some people state… then you deserve to drop in the ladder. However, due to the checkpoints and how Amber works, this is not currently possible at low ranks. Therefore bad players are able to climb higher than they should by grinding, and will eventually be stuck in an endless loop of losses because they are not better than anyone else in the same pip range.

Working as intended.

MMR is still a lie

in PvP

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

@Celeras.4980

Please explain.

Sure.

If a team of your skill level is unable to win more than 50% of its games or put together win streaks, then you are exactly where you belong on the ladder. Your opponents, who are in the same pip range as you, deserve to climb. You do not.

Alternatively, if you win “1/20” games like some people state… then you deserve to drop in the ladder. However, due to the checkpoints and how Amber works, this is not currently possible at low ranks. Therefore bad players are able to climb higher than they should by grinding, and will eventually be stuck in an endless loop of losses because they are not better than anyone else in the same pip range.

Working as intended.

The problem is you assume MMR and pips are perfect skill representation. You also seem to ignore the fact that these people who have climbed to ruby through grinding are plaguing “legit rubies” who now struggle waaaaaaaaaay harder than they would otherwise since they are fed ppl who should not be there.

MMR is still a lie

in PvP

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

@Celeras.4980

Please explain.

Sure.

Working as intended.

The problem is you assume MMR and pips are perfect skill representation. You also seem to ignore the fact that these people who have climbed to ruby through grinding are plaguing “legit rubies” who now struggle waaaaaaaaaay harder than they would otherwise since they are fed ppl who should not be there.

I blew through amber and emerald with 0 defeats. Upon reaching sapphire I was being matched with people with Slayer title (around 100 games) versus primordial legends (legendary players from S1)

Needless to say the blowouts were real.

MMR is still a lie

in PvP

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

@Celeras.4980

Please explain.

Sure.

Working as intended.

I blew through amber and emerald with 0 defeats. Upon reaching sapphire I was being matched with people with Slayer title (around 100 games) versus primordial legends (legendary players from S1)

Needless to say the blowouts were real.

The perverse effect of having so many safe points in lower division up to ruby is that you will always have weaker opponents to defeats letting you rise away from those who are not of your “true rank”. Sadly, as you go up in the ladder these opportunities become increasingly rarer and once you hit ruby and your mmr is average or low you are fed the grinders and the weaker legit weaker than you guys on the other sides become rarer and you loose and your mmr suffer which confirm you “deserve” the grinders and so on and so forth…

MMR is still a lie

in PvP

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I have a friend that plays at least 3 games a day since the beginning of the season, and got exactly 0 pips from soloqueuing so far.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November