MMR or the contrary of a fun game

in PvP

Posted by: Classic Perception.2507

Classic Perception.2507

Gw2’s actual MMR is basically this: The more you lose the crappier your teamates will be, the more you win the better your teamates will be. We’re not talking about enemies, we’re talking about teamates.

This basic idea is, to me, the reason why leagues are frustrating and not fun.

I got legend S1 and S2, didn’t want to grind for S3 so only played for the ascension achievements.

_With this in mind, i played more casual and might or might not have played under the influence of bob marley or nicholas cage in leaving las vegas. Needless to say my win ratio kinda went down lol. _

Here comes the stupid part. I wake up the next day, log on, look at my pips and laugh thinking to myself i did kitten but actually had a good time.

All good fun… bad part? I get the worse players in gw 2 for 1 month. Only solution to get out of this is to “carry”/ tryhard like there is no tomorrow. If you’re an ESL player, carrying is natural…but to simple mortal good players, carrying 4 players is actually unfun, frustrating and stressful.

Divisions should be divisions. Ruby with ruby, diamond with diamond. Please stop taking into account this MMR formula (or change it!) which is obviously ruining the fun for everyone (even ESL players, which get good teamates and are bored).

I mean, objectively, i get eles pushing lord at beginning of the game, people 2 capping, not stomping nor cleaving, rotations are out of the question (1 ele and 1 engi on a node? np let’s just 4v2 them for half the game), defending close doesn’t exist…etc. This is mid diamond, 3 tiers away from legend….it’s just wrong.

I would actually be interested in knowing if you actually take into consideration the amount of rezes, kills, decaps/caps, interupts a player makes…Etc…

1. MMR hell does exist
2. You can get out of MMR hell by being really serious about winning (also being intelligent with you teamcomp swapping)
3. Most important, MMR punishes you for days/week for not being serious about your gameplay during one or two evenings.

Conclusion: Most people reading this will probably say “It’s your fault, you didn’t play seriously now your stuck with non serious players”. But to me, gw2 is a game and shouldn’t have any punishing aspects like this. There is a difference between fun/competitive and being sanctionned.

PS: This post only speaks to soloq ofc.

in PvP

Posted by: Fatherbliss.4701

Fatherbliss.4701

I think the main issue for me is that the matches aren’t competitive under the current setup. The majority of games I’ve played so far this season are blowouts. Sure, my win ratio winds up being close to 50% overall. But the matches are precisely entertaining for either side. Last night I finally, finally had a match that ended 500-498 and went down the the wire. That is by far the exception.

Now, to be fair, I’m at the lower end of the pool. From what I’ve read this week about how the MMR seems to work it isn’t logical at all.

Leader of Goats of Thunder [GOAT]
Tarnished Coast: Bringing the Butter to you (no pants allowed)

in PvP

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Careful what you wish for. Just when you think you have the worse teammates there’s always worse. In unranked for example I won a 2v3 on a revenant with a thief against three warriors and a random warrior in another game died rushing mid 1v3. I’ve even seen some double cappers.

The MMR may need resetting to wash away lots of people who actually improved because they cared’s losses from a much weaker time (they got better but teammates stay the same notice how lots of new smurf accounts reached Legend).

(1 ele and 1 engi on a node? np let’s just 4v2 them for half the game)

That’s a design flaw. The best possible sustain should never outlast the best possible damage and shouldn’t have a lower skill floor than DPS. They’ll just follow you to another node anyway but yeah where they leave you can back cap.

Without MMR you’d see the truly bad on your team consistently. Unranked is a very mixed bag but typically has better matches than ranked.

in PvP

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

main issue is anet’s current strat/goal for pvp doesn’t focus on fun, its on esports and leagues

in PvP

Posted by: Rome.3192

Rome.3192

1. You’re playing the ranked game mode.
2. You’re doing it casually, losing a bunch of games, aka screwing over your teammates.
3. Now you get teammates that are casual.
4. You want to win, but not try as hard.

What is it that you want the developers to do for you again? Free wins every time you hit the queue button?

Thief

in PvP

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Careful what you wish for. Just when you think you have the worse teammates there’s always worse. In unranked for example I won a 2v3 on a revenant with a thief against three warriors and a random warrior in another game died rushing mid 1v3. I’ve even seen some double cappers.

The MMR may need resetting to wash away lots of people who actually improved because they cared’s losses from a much weaker time (they got better but teammates stay the same notice how lots of new smurf accounts reached Legend).

(1 ele and 1 engi on a node? np let’s just 4v2 them for half the game)

That’s a design flaw. The best possible sustain should never outlast the best possible damage and shouldn’t have a lower skill floor than DPS. They’ll just follow you to another node anyway but yeah where they leave you can back cap.

Without MMR you’d see the truly bad on your team consistently. Unranked is a very mixed bag but typically has better matches than ranked.

Yes there are worse teammates out there, but that doesnt change the fact that the matchmaking system isn’t working great. Yes, its fantastic at giving people close to a 50% win rate, but too many of those wins are blowouts because of how it matches teams up. If you have a low MMR then everybody you fight should be around your MMR, not just the people on your team. There is no reason for the amount of 500 – 100 games that people are seeing this season, none.

in PvP

Posted by: Kylden Ar.3724

Kylden Ar.3724

I go to Ranked now to play the MMR.

I go to Unranked to actually play PvP.

Kylden
Leader of TACO mini-roamer guild, Kaineng.

in PvP

Posted by: Shiyo.3578

Shiyo.3578

The game is so fantastic and fun to play. The combat, the balance(Sure it could be better), the classes, how fighting people works, etc. It all feels good and is very enjoyable play.

Then you try to play, but you can’t actually PvP because matchmaking is so awful at creating good games that you can go hours without actually being able to enjoy yourself. It’s not very fun to be in 1 sided games over and over.

Ugh, it’s so depressing knowing that a game with such fantastic classes/combat(and generally pretty good balance imo) is just..not fun to play because of matchmaking.

Really depressing.

I really hope matchmaking is fixed, but I feel like it won’t be fixed until s4 at the earliest

in PvP

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

main issue is anet’s current strat/goal for pvp doesn’t focus on fun, its on esports

FTFY

Leagues is based around keeping the esl populace happy, which is essentially esports.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”