MMR snowballing

MMR snowballing

in PvP

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

Is this really a thing?

Let’s say an average or above average soloq player that tries hard from the beginning of the season and ends up on a losing streak is doomed for the rest of the season. The MMR will consider them a a ‘bad player’ and constantly matched with players that are bad dropping their mmr more.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

MMR snowballing

in PvP

Posted by: cosmicegg.8502

cosmicegg.8502

yeah that’s it completely

Lea Moonbow
Blackgate

MMR snowballing

in PvP

Posted by: Torafugu.1087

Torafugu.1087

Is this really a thing?

Let’s say an average or above average soloq player that tries hard from the beginning of the season and ends up on a losing streak is doomed for the rest of the season. The MMR will consider them a a ‘bad player’ and constantly matched with players that are bad dropping their mmr more.

You are exactly right. The reverse is also true for winning.

MMR snowballing

in PvP

Posted by: Silverstone.4539

Silverstone.4539

yip, I’m there, it don’t matter what I do, what I run, how great or bad I play, I can almost never win now. same tire for 4 days.

MMR snowballing

in PvP

Posted by: claytonmorby.3751

claytonmorby.3751

While in some cases MMR may fluctuate that much, you will eventually get to a point where you can 1v2, 1v3, 1v4, and if you get low enough 1v5. The same goes for higher MMR, you will reach a point where you will become a detriment to your team if you don’t belong at their MMR.

MMR snowballing

in PvP

Posted by: Freeelancer.2860

Freeelancer.2860

Just as claytonmorby.3751 said, it is a thing but the more matches you play the less of an impact it has on your overall MMR.

Do daily league pvp’s for the duration of the league and MMR snowballing becomes a non-issue.

MMR snowballing

in PvP

Posted by: Veneratio.1980

Veneratio.1980

28 losses in a row here in t2 sapphire. The snowball is real

MMR snowballing

in PvP

claytonmorby.3751

To the people who go on these long loss streaks:

Are they all from the same session?
Are you getting the same teammates and/or opponents?
If so maybe end your pvp for that day.

If not maybe wait for a day or two. I know this has been suggested, but when I first started off in ruby last week I was having some trouble getting going, I kept playing against some FF people and got super tilty and knew I needed a fairly good break. This was after my 4th loss in a row mind you.

Another suggestion just in general for pvp, do you have an incoming damage tab?
I find the most effective ways to train people in wvw is for the to understand what is hitting them so hard and what it looks like. This will help your 1v1 and 2v2 ability immensely.

MMR snowballing

in PvP

Posted by: rwolf.9571

rwolf.9571

I was on a massive losing session in t1 Emerald. I was lucky and broke out of t2. Rinse and repeat, each tier is slightly better.

In t4 now. Still seems hopeless to even get the required 3 wins in a row after a losing streak. ratio is about 1 / 4-9 games atm. Where as in t1 that was about 1 / 10+

You have the usual 4th / 5th pip curse. Somebody usually throws the game at that point.

I doubt waiting is a factor anymore. I see in the lobby the bulk is in sapphire now, very few emeralds and amber (either that they quit)

MMR snowballing

in PvP

claytonmorby.3751

I would disagree that the bulk is sapphire, that’s dependent on your map instance. I know several people who haven’t even started playing this season along with several people in amber because they don’t have as much time to play. That along with the handful in diamond and couple hundred in ruby I think waiting is still viable, like I said I did it and it make ruby easier. Many people could also be waiting out the initial cluster kitten.

Edit: emerald and sapph have the potential to be worse than Amber IMO because there will be less new players for you to get matched against and more high end player who are just cruising through to ruby

(edited by claytonmorby.3751)

MMR snowballing

in PvP

rwolf.9571

Edit: emerald and sapph have the potential to be worse than Amber IMO because there will be less new players for you to get matched against and more high end player who are just cruising through to ruby

So many games played in emerald that don’t make sense… But I guess that’s were all the amber players default too since they didn’t lose pips till then.

Also I’m finding that matchmaking is scavenging in amber or sapphire players which I shouldn’t be seeing yet.

MMR snowballing

in PvP

claytonmorby.3751

Hm do you play at a really low pop time? If you’re tier 4 it’s definitely possible you could pull sapphires, ambers shouldn’t be a thing though

MMR snowballing

in PvP

rwolf.9571

Hm do you play at a really low pop time? If you’re tier 4 it’s definitely possible you could pull sapphires, ambers shouldn’t be a thing though

Nope this was during the day. I lol’d when I saw a sapphire on the other team, and a emerald duo que’d with a amber. lost 180-500 something along those lines.

Similarly I won a game with 5 emeralds versus 3 emerald, 2 amber all of us soloq. Felt like a 5 v 3 at that point.

MMR snowballing

in PvP

claytonmorby.3751

Ah well that explains the amber. Premades take the highest division to determine matchmaking. That way groups can’t pull easier match by having one friend with a low division.
During the day when though? What time? What timezone?

MMR snowballing

in PvP

rwolf.9571

Ah well that explains the amber. Premades take the highest division to determine matchmaking. That way groups can’t pull easier match by having one friend with a low division.
During the day when though? What time? What timezone?

11am-3pm PST on NA servers

MMR snowballing

in PvP

claytonmorby.3751

Hm that’s a kinda light time, late EU players would be on, and not really any NA yet. From what I’ve heard though is that pop is just low in general, either a lot of people quitting or waiting a little bit.

MMR snowballing

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

Nope this was during the day. I lol’d when I saw a sapphire on the other team, and a emerald duo que’d with a amber. lost 180-500 something along those lines.

If they’re in a party the new system will treat them at the highest division in the group.

Please also remember guys (inb4 qq snowball), that a chunk of this argument about MMR are just weak players looking for luck-based reasons for being outclassed in a division.

Phaatonn, London UK

(edited by Phaeton.9582)

MMR snowballing

in PvP

rwolf.9571

Hm that’s a kinda light time, late EU players would be on, and not really any NA yet. From what I’ve heard though is that pop is just low in general, either a lot of people quitting or waiting a little bit.

Usually we have SEA, JPN, AUS to fill in the other time spot, but those players are usually MIA. Lots of reports of lag.

MMR snowballing

in PvP

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

SEA/OCX won’t be playing if it’s LATE EU. That’s like 6am – 9am for us or some weird time.

OCX would be playing around maybe 1am PST and SEA would be 4am PST (rough guesttimates). The OCX population for PvP barely exists anyway, even when I queue I get NA players on my team who don’t sleep rather than Australians.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

MMR snowballing

in PvP

claytonmorby.3751

Fishball is correct most of them wouldn’t be playing at the time. You really are kinda between timezones.

@phaeton, that may be true but saying that not a single person has gotten unlucky is extremely improbable. However that’s why I have been asking questions.

@rwolf do you see a lot of the same players in your matches?

MMR snowballing

in PvP

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

I tend to get people with titles of “slayer” or “champion slayer” AT BEST, while all my opponents are legendary champs and primordial legends.

Now … we all know titles don’t mean much. But it’s relatively fast to obtain Slayer/Champ slayer. It requires a lot more commitment to grind to legendary champ (something even I don’t have yet but should by the end of the week). A legendary champ to me means that the said person knows what safe stomp and cleave is.

^ I’m not even talking about rotation here. Being unable to finish downed enemies is kinda worse than bad rotation. Or equal.

Every match I go .. I start doing a safe stomp, 1-2 other enemies rush to the downed player and try to res him/her. My slayer teammate sees that ….. and proceeds to cast stomp on his own. No cleave, no nothing.

When this happens I literally throw my keyboard and mouse and wait for the game to finish. I just blew up a huge utility because someone doesn’t know how to AoE.

F#@& this man…

MMR snowballing

in PvP

claytonmorby.3751

@ravenmoon

Unfortunately that’s how the system works. You’re a relatively “new” pvper in the scheme of things and you’re facing high MMR teams that are just getting through the ranks.

MMR snowballing

in PvP

Posted by: childhoodtwo.7095

childhoodtwo.7095

I`m at 10 lose streak in ruby if u could only see the matchmaking
just from the last game for expample my team : 2 thiefs warrior necro and normal pewpew ranger – enemy team → ele scrapper necro rev rev.I should probably start getting screenshots at some point for the lols.

MMR snowballing

in PvP

claytonmorby.3751

@childhoodtwo ruby is rough. You gotta have a duo partner if you want to keep from having an aneurism.

MMR snowballing

in PvP

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

@ravenmoon

Unfortunately that’s how the system works. You’re a relatively “new” pvper in the scheme of things and you’re facing high MMR teams that are just getting through the ranks.

It’s kinda sad they came up with such a system. Guess more CSGO for me until the divisions settle. Cyka Blyat \m/