Making Team/Guild Leagues more interesting

in PvP

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

One thing I think is entirely neglected in GW2 is the feeling of progression of a team as a whole. Sure we have the guild challenger league but who takes that seriously really? And does anyone feel accomplished with that at all? Does any team out there feel like the Guild Challenger League scratches that PvP progression and pride itch? If yes then cool but if no, I’d like to get your opinion on what I suggest below.

So what if, instead of the Guild Challenger League, Anet added a new system called the Team League. Where we have all the tiers that we have now (Amber to Legendary) and teams have to progress through each tier like us solo players do now but the difference is, instead of progressing with pips, you have to be ranked at the top of the tier’s Leaderboard. So each Tier would have it’s own Leaderboard, Amber being the first one. Amber’s rules would be, by the end of every week if you’re in the top 500, your team will progress into Emerald and for Emerald at the end of every 2 weeks, your team needs to be part of the top 400 in order to move on to Sapphire and so on and so forth. The break down would look like this;

Amber – Top 500 move up every week
Emerald – Top 400 move up every 2 weeks
Sapphire – Top 300 move up every 2.5 weeks
Ruby – Top 200 move up every 3 weeks
Diamond – Top 100 move up every 3.5 weeks
Legendary – Top 10 teams go to Pro League. Others start from Sapphire next season.

Ranking high at the end of each Tier’s run time will give the teams, 100 gems and 50 gold which doubles per tier (for the Top 10 teams). Others get finishers, Slama Llamas and a precursor.

The idea is NOT to have Amber only run for one week or for Emerald to only run for 2 weeks but rather to have people constantly progressing through the tiers each week, allowing them to catch up if they missed out on moving to the next tier by being number 501 or number 401 on the leaderboard. This also means there’s a steady stream of players constantly progressing through the League season and a good amount of competition to be had.

One problem this suggestion eliminates is the situation where a player enters a new tier and find they don’t have anyone else in that tier with them because they progressed too fast, giving them extremely lengthy queues. Instead, this system will essentially give them people to fight each time they move up a tier.

That said, I know that this suggestion is assuming there’s a good enough population in GW2 to handle this sort of system. Well, I don’t have that information so I don’t know but what I do believe is, this sort of system will allow teams who participate to feel more accomplished. At least more accomplished than I think the Guild Challenger League is currently in my opinion.

Just my two cents. Feel free to share yours

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

(edited by Dirame.8521)

in PvP

Dirame.8521

bump mapping

in PvP

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

With all due respect ^^
Big fat nope on that one
Here is why:

• Any team who is playing competitively should be more worried about climbing the ladder to get in to the ESL and less worried about pip progressions. Twisting the guild team league towards pip progression is terrible idea. Not to mention how many players “and I mean the majority” is absolutely put off by the current pip system already.
  • Getting non-pro players dedicated enough to log in every day or even a few times a week and actually stay on long enough with the team to get something done in a ladder, is not as easy as it sounds. So making a revision that causes the league to become even more complex concerning drafting/maintaining/scheduling teams is just a bad idea man.
  • The player base is screaming out for more casual modes, not more complex ones. People want to be able to log in for an hour or two a day and play casual modes where they aren’t punished for not being involved in a highly dedicated team. GW2 absolutely needs to find a way to build a wall between casual environment and super involved always on TS3 environment. Not everyone has the time or even wants to be involved in that stuff every time they log in, simply to “keep up”.

~ I do however like the idea of far greater rewards for participating in the current guild league ladder but aside from that, I personally feel the guild league works perfectly as intended. Even the MMR algorithm is correct when it comes to 5v5.

I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.

in PvP

Dirame.8521

With all due respect ^^
Big fat nope on that one
Here is why:

• Any team who is playing competitively should be more worried about climbing the ladder to get in to the ESL and less worried about pip progressions. Twisting the guild team league towards pip progression is terrible idea. Not to mention how many players “and I mean the majority” is absolutely put off by the current pip system already.
  • Getting non-pro players dedicated enough to log in every day or even a few times a week and actually stay on long enough with the team to get something done in a ladder, is not as easy as it sounds. So making a revision that causes the league to become even more complex concerning drafting/maintaining/scheduling teams is just a bad idea man.
  • The player base is screaming out for more casual modes, not more complex ones. People want to be able to log in for an hour or two a day and play casual modes where they aren’t punished for not being involved in a highly dedicated team. GW2 absolutely needs to find a way to build a wall between casual environment and super involved always on TS3 environment. Not everyone has the time or even wants to be involved in that stuff every time they log in, simply to “keep up”.

~ I do however like the idea of far greater rewards for participating in the current guild league ladder but aside from that, I personally feel the guild league works perfectly as intended. Even the MMR algorithm is correct when it comes to 5v5.

- Your first complaint sounds like you didn’t read/comprehend what I typed correctly. There is no pip progression, there is just a Tier and a Leaderboard for each tier and the determiner for moving to the next tier is being within the progression threshold

- People will do it. People enjoy doing this stuff especially when they are encouraged to with Gold and gem rewards.

- Solo Q wouldn’t be removed with this change. I never once stated this would replace any other mode apart from Guild Challenger League which doesn’t foster much competition.