Maphacks and other hacks being used in PvP

Maphacks and other hacks being used in PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Steel Fenrir.2791

Steel Fenrir.2791

Sometimes I wonder, while watching hot join PvP I realized that all player positions are being broadcasted to spectators. Then I remembered that in Starcraft 2, even though there’s fog of war preventing players from knowing the enemy units’ position in-game, all unit positions are actually being broadcasted to all players constantly. With a third party program, a “map hack”, a tool that intercepts and analyzes packets received, you can see where the enemy units are located in the map, as if there was no fog of war in the first place.

I wonder then if the netcode of Guild Wars 2 is similar in design, such that all player locations are continuously being streamed/broadcasted to all players, but you only see players on the map near you. But with a third party program, you could see the other players’ position in the map, even though they are far away, just like a spectator.

Also, as most of you already know (except maybe if you are new to the internet and MMORPGs in general), there are hacks in Guild Wars 2 that instantly teleports you to a desired point in the map, but most of the evidence suggests it happens in WvW and PvE. So by logic, it is most likely that it can be used and was used by other players in sPvP.

With this, I had 2 requests. If the netcode was as I have suspected, fix it so that player connections is different from spectator connections. Another is to find a way in general to combat teleport hacks.