Match Prediction - configuration change?

in PvP

Posted by: AlbertoUlkesh.4517

AlbertoUlkesh.4517

For me, one of the most frustrating parts of the current league is pre-mades with a few low-division players thrown in. The problem is not so much the almost guaranteed lost game, but that you lose 2 pips on top of that.

Why is that? I just took another look at the Wiki:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/PvP_Matchmaking_Algorithm#Match_Prediction

I looked at a recent game of mine and ran the numbers. Unfortunately I had to make a few assumptions. I don’t know how Ladder is calculated. Are all Rubys the same? Is it per tier? Does every pip count?

Anyway, if my numbers are somewhat correct, the algorithm decided my team should have won the match with an almost 70% chance. And at 70% win chance, losing the game with less than 300 points means 2 pips lost.

If the other team had been all mid-Rubys, instead of a mix of divisions, the chance would have dropped significantly and only 1 pip would have been lost.

So, let’s take a look at the configuration and see, if something can be changed without programming effort:

Ladder weight=“5“
Rank weight=”1"
Rating weight=“0”
Roster weight=“2”

So what happens if we change the Roster weight to 5? In my example that drops the win chance from 70% to 52%. Only 1 pip lost.

Disclaimer: I might have misunderstood some parts and had to work on assumptions, so the numbers might be off. However my question remains:
Would changing the Roster weight in the configuration help in these cases, where the pip loss seems very unfair?

BTW none of this would affect the Matchmaking, the Match Prediction is configured separately.

tl;dr Would changing the Roster weight in the Match Prediction prevent double pip losses against multiple-division-pre-mades?

in PvP

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Yea it really seems like something needs to be done with the weight and some consideration given to premades versus all soloqers. There would be less opportunity to exploit pip gain/loss. Players suggest that people should not be able to queue with friends if they are separated by two divisions, but IMHO that’s a bit silly since divisions represent number of matches played really.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in PvP

AlbertoUlkesh.4517

Just had another one of those. A change in Roster weight would really help…

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

just increase roster weight drastically so people who group up does not have huge safety net with pips loses and undeserved pips gains.

in PvP

AlbertoUlkesh.4517

Yes. I think increasing it to the same level as Ladder weight would be enough.

in PvP

AlbertoUlkesh.4517

I lost a pip for this match. How can the system assume blue is more than 40% likely to win when

• The other team had one more person in the higher division.
  • There was a party of 2 on the other team.
  • MMR is not taken into account for pip loss.

?

Every time I lost 2 pips, it was because the other team had a low-division player. Then it seems to be a huge weight. But apparently not always. Do different divisions get different weights?

Attachments: