Match making..

Match making..

in PvP

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

I’m not here to argue if s2 match making is skill based or not. If it works or not.
I just like to point out a few facts.
1. People post about loss streaks 20+ games long , this did not exist in s1.
2. People like to win, win = happy player , loss = unhappy player.
3.When you make someone unhappy enough they stop playing. I think making someone loss 20+ times in a row is a sure fire way to kitten that person off and quit.
4 As the ‘unskilled’ mass leave the ‘somewhat skilled’ player are now the ‘unskilled’
loop back to 1
5. As more and more people stop playing, que time gets longer and longer.
6. Short wait = happy player, long wait = unhappy player
7. Now the ‘skilled’ player are not happy any more because of long wait
loop back to 3.

So whatever side you take on how s2 match making works , one thing is for sure, it’s killing gw2 pvp.

Match making..

in PvP

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

1. How many people have just as many winning streak games?

2. This is competitive play and not something where everyone should get a medal for participating. Although it’s easy enough where people can do that with enough time. Yes, everyone loves to win but in order for someone to do that, someone needs to lose.

3. There will be outliers. I believe that season one had something in place that prevented this but it was removed because there were complaints about it.

4. While it may seem like that, it’s not really true. You took the unskilled players out of the equation but that doesn’t mean that the somewhat skilled players filled that place. There would just be nobody occupying that designation.

5. How many people are really stopping to play? At what point would it even be noticeable? There are matches constantly going on. Let’s say that at any given time there are 50 matches. If 100 people quit, would this really matter. Yes there would be less matches going on but your competition to get into a match wouldn’t have changed much if at all. There is a scaling of sorts when it comes to this.

6. Yes, I believe most people want short wait times but there’s usually a trade off.

7. Skilled players have a long wait time because not many have made it up there yet. You have to remember that these are not rewards tracks or at least those divisions from a ruby and onwards. There is skill involved which includes personal skill and that of your team working together. Another reason that those who made it to that division have quit is because there’s no point. What are the rewards if they already have everything?

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Match making..

in PvP

Mogar.9216

2. This is competitive play and not something where everyone should get a medal for participating. Although it’s easy enough where people can do that with enough time. Yes, everyone loves to win but in order for someone to do that, someone needs to lose.

3. There will be outliers. I believe that season one had something in place that prevented this but it was removed because there were complaints about it.

4. While it may seem like that, it’s not really true. You took the unskilled players out of the equation but that doesn’t mean that the somewhat skilled players filled that place. There would just be nobody occupying that designation.

5. How many people are really stopping to play? At what point would it even be noticeable? There are matches constantly going on. Let’s say that at any given time there are 50 matches. If 100 people quit, would this really matter. Yes there would be less matches going on but your competition to get into a match wouldn’t have changed much if at all. There is a scaling of sorts when it comes to this.

6. Yes, I believe most people want short wait times but there’s usually a trade off.

7. Skilled players have a long wait time because not many have made it up there yet. You have to remember that these are not rewards tracks or at least those divisions from a ruby and onwards. There is skill involved which includes personal skill and that of your team working together. Another reason that those who made it to that division have quit is because there’s no point. What are the rewards if they already have everything?

1. I have no doubt for everyone who has 20 math lossing streak there is someone who has 20 matching winning streak. The problem is the guy with 20 match winning streak no matter how happy he is, can’t become 2 people to make up for the guy who has quit because of 20 match losing streak, . :P

2. Yes it’s not suppose to be everyone win game. That my friend is why we have divisions . A well put together league manages to have a very competitive scene AND keep the new players/masses happy. You don’t see starcraft , dota heck even wow arena players complaint about 20+ match losing streaks..

3. Yes outliers exist don’t you think it’s odd these outliers long losing streaks didn’t show up in s1? Any reasonable examination of the match making system would come to the conclusion that s2 match making actively tries to make streaks happen.

4. Skill vs unkilled is relative. Take any pool of players if you call the bottom 10% unkilled. Then if the bottom 10% leaves the next 10% is now the bottom and therefore unskilled. pretty simple concept.

5/6/7. Simple, que time. There has been a 2x if not 3x que time increase. Only explanation is people stopped playing.

Match making..

in PvP

Posted by: godsie.2864

godsie.2864

1. I have no doubt for everyone who has 20 math lossing streak there is someone who has 20 matching winning streak. The problem is the guy with 20 match winning streak no matter how happy he is, can’t become 2 people to make up for the guy who has quit because of 20 match losing streak, . :P

2. Yes it’s not suppose to be everyone win game. That my friend is why we have divisions . A well put together league manages to have a very competitive scene AND keep the new players/masses happy. You don’t see starcraft , dota heck even wow arena players complaint about 20+ match losing streaks..

3. Yes outliers exist don’t you think it’s odd these outliers long losing streaks didn’t show up in s1? Any reasonable examination of the match making system would come to the conclusion that s2 match making actively tries to make streaks happen.

4. Skill vs unkilled is relative. Take any pool of players if you call the bottom 10% unkilled. Then if the bottom 10% leaves the next 10% is now the bottom and therefore unskilled. pretty simple concept.

5/6/7. Simple, que time. There has been a 2x if not 3x que time increase. Only explanation is people stopped playing.

agree this +1

Match making..

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I’m not here to argue if s2 match making is skill based or not. If it works or not.
I just like to point out a few facts.
1. People post about loss streaks 20+ games long , this did not exist in s1.
2. People like to win, win = happy player , loss = unhappy player.
3.When you make someone unhappy enough they stop playing. I think making someone loss 20+ times in a row is a sure fire way to kitten that person off and quit.
4 As the ‘unskilled’ mass leave the ‘somewhat skilled’ player are now the ‘unskilled’
loop back to 1
5. As more and more people stop playing, que time gets longer and longer.
6. Short wait = happy player, long wait = unhappy player
7. Now the ‘skilled’ player are not happy any more because of long wait
loop back to 3.

So whatever side you take on how s2 match making works , one thing is for sure, it’s killing gw2 pvp.

All great points +1 from me.

This is actually a point in favour of the OP and why the S2 matchmaking is poor. For players to get long winning streaks the obverse must also occur. And as pointed out this wasn’t a complaint in S1.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

(edited by morrolan.9608)

Match making..

in PvP

Ayrilana.1396

1. What does someone’s winning streak have anything to do with whether they count as multiple people on their team? The point of my post was to show you the nature of outliers and how people upset with how things are tend to focus on only one part of the spectrum while ignoring the rest.

2. Divisions are not working as well since there are safety nets in place for half the divisions. Essentially anything before ruby is meaningless as it’s only a matter of time before the most terribly skilled player in GW2 PvP history makes it there. Players of greatly different skill levels, and comprehension on how to play as a team, are bottle-necked in Ruby as a result. Delete the previous tiers and throw everyone into Ruby at the start. That’s essentially what you have now.

3. Are you sure they didn’t show up in S1. I also vaguely remember that they had a system in place to limit these outliers but removes it because people were complaining about it.

4. Yes and no. You have cold wanter and you have hot water. There’s cold water from the faucet, hot water from the faucet, and boiling water. The last two could be considered hot water. Removing the coild water from the equations doesn’t change this. The same can be said about skill levels. Just because you remove low skilled players out of the equation (because they give up), doesn’t mean that the next group takes their place.

5/6/7. I have not noticed any changed in queue time. It still takes a matter of minutes to get into a match just as it did when the season started. Sometimes I get the notification right after I enter the queue.

Match making..

in PvP

Ayrilana.1396

This is actually a point in favour of the OP and why the S2 matchmaking is poor. For players to get long winning streaks the obverse must also occur. And as pointed out this wasn’t a complaint in S1.

It doesn’t really support them. It’s also false to believe that if someone is getting a 20+ match winning streak then someone else must be getting a 20+ match losing streak. They’re not connected.

Match making..

in PvP

Mogar.9216

1. What does someone’s winning streak have anything to do with whether they count as multiple people on their team? The point of my post was to show you the nature of outliers and how people upset with how things are tend to focus on only one part of the spectrum while ignoring the rest.

2. Divisions are not working as well since there are safety nets in place for half the divisions. Essentially anything before ruby is meaningless as it’s only a matter of time before the most terribly skilled player in GW2 PvP history makes it there. Players of greatly different skill levels, and comprehension on how to play as a team, are bottle-necked in Ruby as a result. Delete the previous tiers and throw everyone into Ruby at the start. That’s essentially what you have now.

3. Are you sure they didn’t show up in S1. I also vaguely remember that they had a system in place to limit these outliers but removes it because people were complaining about it.

4. Yes and no. You have cold wanter and you have hot water. There’s cold water from the faucet, hot water from the faucet, and boiling water. The last two could be considered hot water. Removing the coild water from the equations doesn’t change this. The same can be said about skill levels. Just because you remove low skilled players out of the equation (because they give up), doesn’t mean that the next group takes their place.

5/6/7. I have not noticed any changed in queue time. It still takes a matter of minutes to get into a match just as it did when the season started. Sometimes I get the notification right after I enter the queue.

wow just wow…. esp the bit about cold/hot water ..just wow…

Match making..

in PvP

Ayrilana.1396

Not really an argument for or against what I said. The hot/cold water example was to help clearly explain to you that eliminating unskilled players because they give up, doesn’t make the next category of players the new unskilled players.

I’ll give you another example that’s almost identical to what you’re getting confused about.

Let’s say we have unskilled players, very skilled PvP players who do not participate competitively in tournaments, and highly skilled players who participate in tournaments. The point of the last two is to illustrate that they’re fairly close together in skill but not quite.

You then eliminate the unskilled players because they simply give up playing. Does this mean the players that are very skilled, but do not participate in tournaments, are now unskilled? No.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Match making..

in PvP

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I know right. One will always be less than the other, hot water is cold in comparison to boiling water. You would put your hand in boiling water, but you would in hot, asking as it was safe to eo so.

The point he’s making is, one the “unskilled” players leave, the group of players above them that where getting there wins from them, will no longer get wins. They then become the whipping boys so to speak. With any competitive system, as you’ve pointed out, someone has to lose. Plus thee is always someone better than you out there, it’s just a matter of time before you meet them. So as one group falls away, another takes its place, and the cycle repeats it self. If this was not a problem the league would just run and run. But ANet knows as well as we do, once people stop progressing, some will stop. Others will carry on. But then stop when they can no longer reliably win games, that adds to long queue times, people don’t bother as they spend more time waiting for a match than playing.

The current class distribution is probably the biggest problem with the current match making. With some teams having 3-4 of the same class.on each team, instead of balancing bout the classes on each team. Most games you have a good idea of how they are going to end as soon as you see the team compositions. Some try, other give up before the match has started so the can get to there next match and not wast time on what is a forgone conclusion.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Match making..

in PvP

Posted by: SneakyTouchy.6043

SneakyTouchy.6043

They should adopt the pip system to unranked because the process doesn’t reflect ranking at all.

Match making..

in PvP

Posted by: basz.6129

basz.6129

Disclaimer: I think losing is no fun. That being said, I soloQ’d to diamond. I may have gotten better, but I could not broach t3 of ruby in s1, soloQ. This season is definitely easier. Ranked mmr just tipped 54.3% after a serious losing streak last week, and a minor win-streak today. There is some kind of leniency, imho, in this season compared to last.

Match making..

in PvP

Posted by: Electra.7530

Electra.7530

I am new to pvp and I am struggling. I am basically unskilled. I am struggling in the school of hard knocks learning to play my class effectively.

However, I do find myself in parties that seem to be very, very unskilled as well. Which is fine because we can all “learn the ropes together.” However, I do experience losing streaks up from 5-13 matches in a row. As a struggling beginner, I expect to lose, but I expect the losing streak to be more along the lines of 50/50.

My concern is being queued with and against Div. IV and V ranked players while I’m struggling in Div. II. Players ranked in IV and V are likely playing with a dedicated team and queuing up against unskilled, less organized PUG players is just an “all-you-can-eat buffet” for hard core dedicated pvp players.

Since I am new to pvp, I can’t compare it to S1 because I didn’t participate in S1. But, I don’t want to be placed in with or against Div IV or V players. I won’t complain so much about Div III.

I would like the game to be set up that if Div IV or V players are going to take Div I or II or even III players in groups with them, that they be scaled up to Div IV or Div V rather than allow the system to scale their party down to Div I, II or III.

Match making..

in PvP

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I would like the game to be set up that if Div IV or V players are going to take Div I or II or even III players in groups with them, that they be scaled up to Div IV or Div V rather than allow the system to scale their party down to Div I, II or III.

the bit I’ve bolded is how it should be working. unless you are also in a party with people who are higher than you are, here should be no way same one in division 1/2 should be seeing division 4/5. unless ANet expanded the pip range again because of queue times.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Match making..

in PvP

Posted by: Allison The Strange.4519

Allison The Strange.4519

Honestly in ruby I’ve been on the 10+ game losing streak, the win/loss/win/loss/etc/etc/etc loop… and I’ve been on the 15 game winning streak… ALL of this in ruby…

Maybe in the course of a week I improved from epic scrub who lucked into ruby to “I’m just going to roll over all you and push from t4 ruby to t3 diamond without losing a game” MLG pro…

Or maybe, just MAYBE, the matchmaking is screwed to all holy hell, does not promote even matches, does not avoid class stacking causing huge unbalanced fights, and fights being for the most part pre determined by ANET to manipulate and promote win/loss streaks by using their silly MMR to match teams…

Match making..

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

Anbody who has lost 18 in a row is a pretty bad player. I am really comfortable in saying that. I don’t know anybody in game who has lost anywhere near that many games in a row ever and all my friends are ruby or diamond not like I play with the elites or something just average players. If league placement is supposed to be an idicator of skill then some people are going to lose a lot there is no way around it. No one is forcing anyone into ranked. That’s the disconnect I think. Either it’s going to be solely about skill or its not. A-net should weigh in and tell us what direction they are thinking of going in season 3. If its back toward 50/50 w-l forcing and MMR averaging teams some might like but Ill be out of here personally. If I had it my way they would put in division loss and tier loss starting league one and half the people whining on these boards would be stuck in leagues 1 and 2 forever.

(edited by brannigan.9831)

Match making..

in PvP

Posted by: Electra.7530

Electra.7530

“Anbody who lost 18 in a row is a really bad player. I am really comfortable in saying that.”

That’s possibly true. But, a broken clock has the correct time twice a day. Huge loss streaks seem statistically unlikely. What are the odds of your getting put in really bad parties with really bad players all the time? 100%? 90% 75%-85%

For odds to be tilted so heavily in favor of failure for “really bad players” requires odds being constantly tilted in the favor of other parties having “really good players.” And what are the odds of that? If you ever solo queue, aren’t you always wondering, is this a really good party or really bad party this time? How can I queue the really bad parties with the really bad players all the time as opposed to queuing into parties with really good players?

(edited by Electra.7530)