Matchmaking Changes: 12/5

in PvP

Posted by: Justin ODell.9517

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

We’ve created and deployed a new configuration option ‘Rating/@profession-ratio’. This new option controls the balance between your core rating and profession rating.

Since we were not previously tracking rating for professions, everyone’s profession rating started at the default level. This turned out to have more of an impact on matchmaking than we anticipated, hence this change.

Until everyone’s profession rating stabilizes, we’re going to set the ratio to ‘0’, meaning profession ratio isn’t being included at all.

We’ve also seeded unranked arena rating data with same data we used to seed ranked arena, so you should see improvements there as well.

Please let us know if you notice any improvement in your match quality.

Thanks

Server Programmer (sPvP)
Isle of Janthir: Flux, Latch, Aegir

(edited by Justin ODell.9517)

in PvP

Posted by: Laserbolt.6731

Laserbolt.6731

Thanks, Justin. First match seemed better.

Scrapper: “Frank from Research”

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Still insta popping vs total no names. Tried 3 games. Please just remove any consideration of roster size, proffessions and everything else and just matchmake on the basis of player skill. I shouldn’t insta-pop and stomp people

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

I don’t know if your stomping players because your on a team, but I think the issue now is that teams are playing against solo players too often, which leads to mass amounts of people losing, and nothing but the same people winning.

Hard to tell because people say they stomp players and they play ranked games, but they don’t say if they went solo or into the que as a party. everyone knows the people that went in as solo lost, but the winners of 80%+ games… No clue if they went solo.

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.9524

Archaon.9524

time to play on second and third account then with way lower profession rating, thanks for the info

well..i still think this new matchmaking is just gonna fail like everything else before it (It really feels like there’s not even one), so dunno if it’s really needed anyway…just gonna give it a try

leaderboards had no meaning before patch and now aren’t even working…so…at the end of the day…who cares?

Ark 2nd Account

(edited by Archaon.9524)

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

If many solo players have stopped queuing, then there are mainly groups queuing… and solo players “fill-in” as opposing teams for them.

Can you try setting it so that teams with at least one group must face teams with at least one group?

(edited by Laserbolt.6731)

in PvP

uberkingkong.8041

Well to be fair it did take some time for the old matchmaking to even out.
The matchmaking before the previous matchmaking, solo and team que together was pretty good. You’d get solo vs solo games for a good while till you started getting serious on leaderboard is when you’d get put against premades.

This system, hard to tell, but everybody makes it seem like people who are 80s or 90s% are facing people on good spot on leaderboard. Now that’s pretty messed up. I have no problem facing premades, but I don’t want to face them with a bunch of newbies, 80%’ers, unless its some random premade, not one of those serious premades.

in PvP

Lordrosicky.5813

I don’t know if your stomping players because your on a team, but I think the issue now is that teams are playing against solo players too often, which leads to mass amounts of people losing, and nothing but the same people winning.

Hard to tell because people say they stomp players and they play ranked games, but they don’t say if they went solo or into the que as a party. everyone knows the people that went in as solo lost, but the winners of 80%+ games… No clue if they went solo.

O kitten me dude. This is NOT THE ISSUE. Seriously stop saying this. It doesn’t matter if I am duo queue vs these noname pve ers. I will win 500-0 and it won’t be fun in the slightest. It is nothing to do with solo vs team.

Basically ask anyone who is a top 100 type player and they will tell you the matchmaking is non-existent and every game they win.

in PvP

uberkingkong.8041

O kitten me dude. This is NOT THE ISSUE. Seriously stop saying this. It doesn’t matter if I am duo queue vs these noname pve ers. I will win 500-0 and it won’t be fun in the slightest. It is nothing to do with solo vs team.

Basically ask anyone who is a top 100 type player and they will tell you the matchmaking is non-existent and every game they win.

See, told yall. Being in a party seriously increases your chances, I know this because with the system that was before the team and solo que, I noticed huge increase in win % by being with another person and continually adding other good players.

I by no means want them to go back to that crappy solo que, team que. But this is why you have few people winning and lots of people losing. People just don’t realize it. People aren’t used to asking good players to party up with them. Just takes some time, also if they reset the MMR, that’s another reason why. Eventually it’ll be back where it was in the system previous of the solo que team que system, where you would not likely face a premade until you got on the leaderboards or close to being on the leaderboards.

People just need some time to adapt by sending whispers to get a party going, get better chances at winning, you know the drill.

(edited by uberkingkong.8041)

in PvP

Posted by: Firebird.8324

Firebird.8324

There is still an issue with mmr as we are 500-0ing teams nonstop, it is incredibly boring, this needs to be fixed.

Over Powered Necro [dk] (Bird of Fire)
One spam to rule them all!
Mains Power Necro for team Radioactive[dk]

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

My theory is that just by BEING IN A GROUP of any size means you are a more cooperative, social player who is more likely to work with others on a team strategy. I suspect too many solo players tend to be freelance roamers without a team plan. Just sayin’.

in PvP

Posted by: Booms.2594

Booms.2594

500-0s 3 times in a row just now. Not even close, we could 500-0 them in a 4v5… Please make a DRASTIC change to match making soon because this is horrible.

gerdian

in PvP

uberkingkong.8041

You see those people winning games, they are people who party with others in PvP. People just need to get out of that solo que all day mindset. Those who party will see more success.

This is good, because this game could use a lot more people playing cooperatively rather than I solo everything. Partying up means you might make a friend, and playing with friends makes games more fun. Playing with guildies you like make games fun. Things that are more social see more success. Look at facebook vs myspace. Myspace was like a solo site, you make your page look good and that’s about it. Facebook, you post status, everybody sees it and object is to keep commenting and liking other people, rather than Myspace where focus is just keep trying to make yourself look good. Facebook you make friends and you talk to them. Myspace you just try and make your friends list look as big as possible, to make yourself look good.

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

500-0s 3 times in a row just now. Not even close, we could 500-0 them in a 4v5… Please make a DRASTIC change to match making soon because this is horrible.

Are you playing on another account? I’m only seeing hot-joins on your account.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Lordrosicky.5813

You see those people winning games, they are people who party with others in PvP. People just need to get out of that solo que all day mindset. Those who party will see more success.

This is good, because this game could use a lot more people playing cooperatively rather than I solo everything. Partying up means you might make a friend, and playing with friends makes games more fun. Playing with guildies you like make games fun. Things that are more social see more success. Look at facebook vs myspace. Myspace was like a solo site, you make your page look good and that’s about it. Facebook, you post status, everybody sees it and object is to keep commenting and liking other people, rather than Myspace where focus is just keep trying to make yourself look good. Facebook you make friends and you talk to them. Myspace you just try and make your friends list look as big as possible, to make yourself look good.

Dude you are chatting kitten. It has nothing to do with being in groups. I have duo queued and solo queued and its is the same. Farming total idiots. Anyone who has put enough time into this game to be good will be finding it the same. The issue is 100% just that the matchmaking is terrible for highly skilled players. Nothing to do with how they queue (group or solo or full team). They need to make it so that the system takes longer to find matches and only pops like it did before. I could team queue (on the rare occasion I did) with certainty on the old system that I would have competitive games. Now I know I won’t have any.

I was duo and trio queue btw. I didn’t try. Was half asleep. Let them cap points over and over. Messed around. And still won by miles. Not sure I died. And all this in 1 minute queues? The system has to try harder to find me a fun game imo.

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

Just had a 4×5. We lost with with our four, 500 to 429. Should of won if we had 5.

in PvP

uberkingkong.8041

Ya I agree about que time, its way too fast.
I didn’t mind waiting a lil bit with that old system, this new system its BAM. not ready in 10 seconds? again BAM.

If its really the case where all you good players are winning a lot of games, than there matchmaking system isn’t even working because you should already be considered a good player and be facing other good players. If they allow people who haven’t played to be considered good players they did it wrong. People who haven’t played should be considered 90-95% on leaderboards.

Also, going with getting people to party up. They should encourage those games with premade of 2 or 3 people to be with solo players rather than with a premade of 3 or 2 people (so 3 1 1 1 vs 2 1 1 1 1 or 2 1 1 1 vs 2 1 1 1 or 3 1 1 1 vs 3 1 1 1, because that’s how you get into parties, if that group thought you was worth it, they invite you to party up.

in PvP

Posted by: Booms.2594

Booms.2594

Are you playing on another account? I’m only seeing hot-joins on your account.

darek.1836

gerdian

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

Avg Q time = 22 secs. Not many choices for the matcher would do that. Also explains my 4×5 just now.

in PvP

Posted by: Lexiceta.4156

Lexiceta.4156

All these post of people winning 80% of matches , just wondering where they are getting the numbers from? Is there a new leaderboard or something?

in PvP

Lordrosicky.5813

Ya I agree about que time, its way too fast.
I didn’t mind waiting a lil bit with that old system, this new system its BAM. not ready in 10 seconds? again BAM.

If its really the case where all you good players are winning a lot of games, than there matchmaking system isn’t even working because you should already be considered a good player and be facing other good players. If they allow people who haven’t played to be considered good players they did it wrong. People who haven’t played should be considered 90-95% on leaderboards.

Also, going with getting people to party up. They should encourage those games with premade of 2 or 3 people to be with solo players rather than with a premade of 3 or 2 people (so 3 1 1 1 vs 2 1 1 1 1 or 2 1 1 1 vs 2 1 1 1 or 3 1 1 1 vs 3 1 1 1, because that’s how you get into parties, if that group thought you was worth it, they invite you to party up.

Fair enough dude. I would imagine newbies are treated as such. And that the problem is just the rating parameters are not heavily weighted enough. A top 100 player should have to wait a long time to play with a 95% rated player. A very long time. It should basically never happen. Everything else is secondary to this overriding philosophy.

I personally prefer quick pops to “perfect” matchmaking. But for me it is way too far towards quick pops.

in PvP

Lordrosicky.5813

All these post of people winning 80% of matches , just wondering where they are getting the numbers from? Is there a new leaderboard or something?

It is just a guess. However I believe if you got a full roster of top 200 players then you could be confident to 500-0 about 20 games in a row if you wanted to push for 500-0s. That sums up the issue people have.

It is early days and this patch has the potential to be awesome. I just think a lot of the feedback has been flawed so far and has lead the devs in the wrong direction. QQing about solo vs premades for example isn’t helping the issue. The spread of player skill in a single game completely outwieghs any effect that premade vs solo queue could have

(edited by Lordrosicky.5813)

in PvP

Posted by: Vapour.7348

Vapour.7348

While the profession rating implementation is a good idea, the 500-0 matches is slowly killing the same PVP community we want to grow. Top tier players are left unchallenged and uninspired while newer players get completely demoralized.

Mini Unagi – Iuther – Iiq – Trend – lancaster

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

I imagine my MMR is plummeting in unranked from all the losses. This happened on the LB a year ago. Once you were low, you got worse teammates, as I recall.

in PvP

Posted by: Lexiceta.4156

Lexiceta.4156

Ok i see yea i guess if you make up the numbers anything is possible

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

Clearly there are many good players playing, but now many of the solo and average players may be staying away until they have a chance for a reasonable fun game in their bracket.

I just wonder why the high MMRs aren’t just waiting longer in queue and then play against their own level.

(edited by Laserbolt.6731)

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

darek.1836

Interesting. The prediction that you would win each of those matches was 92-99%. I’ll keep looking to see if I can find out why you’re getting paired so far downward.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Lordrosicky.5813

I am looking at the matchmaking wiki. Perhaps it would be worth making the rating padding only kick in at 3 minutes or something instead of 30 seconds? And maybe it is worth increasing the minimum number of rosters that must be looked at from 20 to something like 50? Anyone else think this might help?

The padding could be the issue as its the high rated players experiences most of the problems.

in PvP

Firebird.8324

I’m in booms group and ya, this is getting soooooo boring, I’m not sure if it is possible to lose.

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

I am looking at the matchmaking wiki. Perhaps it would be worth making the rating padding only kick in at 3 minutes or something instead of 30 seconds? And maybe it is worth increasing the minimum number of rosters that must be looked at from 20 to something like 50? Anyone else think this might help?

The padding could be the issue as its the high rated players experiences most of the problems.

That would help, but I’m wary of the impact it would have on queue times.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

Justin,
Q times are instant ATM.

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

OK, that change is in ranked arena, but if queue times start getting out of hand I’ll drop it back down.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

Lordrosicky that makes sense.

in PvP

Lordrosicky.5813

I guess it is all a balance. But currently it does need tightening up slightly. I think to start padding at 30 seconds seems really quick doesn’kitten Teams previously would want to sit in a queue for a bit longer in order to find a decent match.

(edited by Lordrosicky.5813)

in PvP

Firebird.8324

Here is a link to our last game http://i.imgur.com/JfjVp2c.jpg
500-5

in PvP

Posted by: Vapour.7348

Vapour.7348

The comments on this thread about 500-0 matches are authentic. I don’t think they came here to brag but to address their concerns so devs can fix it. I’ve seen Over Powered Necro melt 2-3 opponents without breaking a sweat

Mini Unagi – Iuther – Iiq – Trend – lancaster

in PvP

Lordrosicky.5813

OK, that change is in ranked arena, but if queue times start getting out of hand I’ll drop it back down.

Nice one. Hopefully it helps and there aren’t any perma queues. I don’t see how there would be though. As padding would still come in after a few minutes anyhow.

in PvP

Firebird.8324

It does seem to be getting better, we just faced boreal and they were not easy, also Vapour tyvm

in PvP

uberkingkong.8041

Oh, I believe there are a bunch of newbs out there.

I go for lord rush, get 3 people to come back to lord and fight me, my entire team getting owned by 2 people and 3 capped.

How do you get 3 capped against 2 guys when you have 4?

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

Queues are still VERY fast 10:25 CST

in PvP

Firebird.8324

here’s another http://i.imgur.com/aUZgC2x.jpg 500-0

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

Let’s think about what would cause the matcher to let this match happen?

Shouldn’t it have rejected it?

Shouldn’t it make Firebird’s team wait for a ~50% chance match?

Or is it perfectly OK with 99.99% win chances. I.E., blowouts?

in PvP

Lordrosicky.5813

Let’s think about what would cause the matcher to let this match happen?

Shouldn’t it have rejected it?

Shouldn’t it make Firebird’s team wait for a ~50% chance match?

Or is it perfectly OK with 99.99% win chances. I.E., blowouts?

Even in the old system you got big blow outs late at night. If we queued at 11pm onwards as a full roster then we could expect to 500-0 pretty much everyone. No system can prevent this. If there are no other people your level queueing you will be matched poorly. There is no way around this.

in PvP

Firebird.8324

I would have NO problem waiting however long it takes to fight a 50% chance

in PvP

Lordrosicky.5813

The point is you would probably be waiting forever on some nights since the game’s population is so tiny. You might be okay with that, but a lot of people aren’t.

Yeh you would literally wait from about midnight till 2 pm. 14 hours queue time anyone? :P

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

The point is you would probably be waiting forever on some nights since the game’s population is so tiny. You might be okay with that, but a lot of people aren’t.

Yeh you would literally wait from about midnight till 2 pm. 14 hours queue time anyone? :P

EU has a much strong drop off in off-peak hours. It’s like they all go to bed at the same time or something.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Posted by: Pandatrice.7183

Pandatrice.7183

Hi Justin, just wondered how quick would you apply these new changes to the Chinese server?

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

So is it worth it to allow 500-0 blowouts so that the top people can play?

Isn’t it better to let people play at their own levels? If there are more average players queuing, why feed them to top level people? Let them majority have a reasonable time. Majority rule. Better PvP scene. More encouraging.

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

I just got two matches of competent players who knew what they were doing. We also won, and the 2 were both close games that went back and forth.

The Q was still under a minute.

in PvP

Lordrosicky.5813

Laser I was giving feedback on behalf of the highly rated players. I see you aren’t top 1000 previously? And seen as its the same MMR system then I doubt you will encounter any particularly bad match ups. You will lose some. You will win some. etc. You will have bad players with you etc. The point I was making is the situation for the highly rated players. Hopefully the changes help those players.