Matchmaking Changes: 12/5

in PvP

Posted by: Laserbolt.6731

Laserbolt.6731

You beat some good players Cruuk and Raplion, just goes to show how much of an impact having TS/Mumble/Ventrillo has on the game.

+100

“Like I said before, if you guys didn’t party together, you’d have more good matches. But since all the good players play together, you don’t have any good matches, or hardly any good matches.”

Yup. Well said. Good insight.

Scrapper: “Frank from Research”

(edited by Laserbolt.6731)

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

I remember a year ago, when I partied up I’d have good chances at facing premades, and those people we faced did get tougher. I think toughest premade my premade fought was Karmy and Joshua S team, beat them first time than had 3 more matches in a row against them and lost the other 3.

Anyways, point is, its very sad how you pummeled people and won all your games, and yet you didn’t even face a premade.

If you want a game to goto the #esports level, there has to be a lot more teams playing than just your team and abjured.

Sure, there are other teams out there, but they aint active, none of them were against your team. I like this matchmaking because sooner or later people will start asking other people to party up with them, its just going to take a while to get out of the ’don’t play with others’ mindset that GW2 instilled on people with the introduction of solo que.

Before you could solo, it was always the system that was bad, not that there needed to be a separate que.

Really sad how theres wasn’t any good teams you faced. Like Kirito, Stunningstyles, Marvin, Karmy, Joshua S, bunch other people too surprised they didn’t even go up against you, or if they was even there, they are pretty good players.

Very sad how no parties faced you, that’s very bad for the community that a small/ fraction percentage of players party together, and that’s not good for #esports as well.

By no means, should they force you to party up, but it should be strongly encouraged to do so.

(edited by uberkingkong.8041)

in PvP

Posted by: Vapour.7348

Vapour.7348

Ugh but this update is SUPPOSED to fix this

Attachments:

Mini Unagi – Iuther – Iiq – Trend – lancaster

in PvP

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

update does not patch isps to always work, nor does it fuse your connection to the server into an unbreakable wire.

however, people who “forget” theyre in queue and afk and wreck a match before it starts are no longer getting forced into a match thats starting.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

^ And people forget dishonor isn’t activated yet.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Vapour.7348

update does not patch isps to always work, nor does it fuse your connection to the server into an unbreakable wire.

however, people who “forget” theyre in queue and afk and wreck a match before it starts are no longer getting forced into a match thats starting.

yes I know they are not getting forced to a match that’s starting but in this case, they accepted and wasn’t afk

in PvP

insanemaniac.2456

yes I know they are not getting forced to a match that’s starting but in this case, they accepted and wasn’t afk

4v5 will still happen no matter what disincentives are put in place to dissuade players from creating that situation. it will happen no matter what. the goal is to minimize the impact, not eliminate, because elimination is impossible. and the key component in this update to minimizing what you are complaining about is not yet in effect (dishonor). its not helpful to come in here all mad and ragepost about your bad experience. think about it all for a second first.

in PvP

Vapour.7348

4v5 will still happen no matter what disincentives are put in place to dissuade players from creating that situation. it will happen no matter what. the goal is to minimize the impact, not eliminate, because elimination is impossible. and the key component in this update to minimizing what you are complaining about is not yet in effect (dishonor). its not helpful to come in here all mad and ragepost about your bad experience. think about it all for a second first.

Im not raging, you are.

in PvP

insanemaniac.2456

Im not raging, you are.

is that so

in PvP

Posted by: Xista.7391

Xista.7391

convinced mmr is broken

In-game opinions of Skyhammer: http://i.imgur.com/FKymDjC.jpg

in PvP

Posted by: Laserbolt.6731

Laserbolt.6731

convinced mmr is broken

I have questions about it, too.

MMR is derived from your team’s expected performance in matches that are not necessarily as tough or as easy for you as the matcher predicts—- because the matches are created by possibly inaccurate MMRs!

Circular errors perhaps.

Scrapper: “Frank from Research”

(edited by Laserbolt.6731)

in PvP

Posted by: Thunderbird.4298

Thunderbird.4298

http://www.twitch.tv/holymoobs team radioactive is qing if u need examples lol of this great matching making system

in PvP

Posted by: Sampo.9678

Sampo.9678

I played about 20 unranked games this weekend and only played against 1 really good team that stomped us hard (premade?)
I don’t know if some of you just have really bad luck facing teams all the time but from what i’ve seen the matchmaking is pretty good.
Also love the average 30s queue times, no more waiting \o/

“Be brave, little rabbit. Take a chance.”

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

I played about 20 unranked games this weekend and only played against 1 really good team that stomped us hard (premade?)
I don’t know if some of you just have really bad luck facing teams all the time but from what i’ve seen the matchmaking is pretty good.
Also love the average 30s queue times, no more waiting \o/

i think the queue time and match ups for higher tier teams are terrible.
they wait many many minutes, and get matched up with teams that are not up to their standards, causing blow out matches.

for other players, the match making seems to be working well.

in PvP

Posted by: oneply.9586

oneply.9586

got to love that class balance you guys got going.(see attached pic)

had several matches yesterday that had 2 of 2 classes on each team. seemed silly that it wouldnt swap the players around a bit but i figure that may be people partied together causing that.

Attachments:

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

in PvP

Posted by: Iza Bella.3920

Iza Bella.3920

i don’t have nothing with the update for pvp with matchmaking queue and everything.but the party group in unranked arena should be stoped.should be only for ranked arena.many peoples doesn’t play unranked just for that

in PvP

Posted by: GhOst.4019

GhOst.4019

Just looking over the data for the last day. With the exception of Courtyard, which seems to get a lot of blowouts, increasing min potentials seems to have a caused decrease in end-game scores between teams. I think that’s a pretty safe metric to gauge the competitiveness of a match, does anyone have any thoughts on that?

I upped it by another 25, but I don’t feel it’s safe to go any further until we get something in to automatically drop it back down during off-peak hours.

When Q’ing with a team it seemed to have gotten a little better. Maybe 50% of the matches are decent matchups but still flawed. Solo Q’ing is still a joke. I am constantly being put into teams with new players; which then brings our average MMR up (from their standpoint) because of me. Then they just get rocked while I 1v2 non stop, no problem. In the end we loose badly because the new players have no idea what they are doing vs the opposite players with slightly more play time.

It seems when SoloQ’ing into they system it is trying to match up similar MMR’s but when it can’t find someone at their average it nabs a high lvl player to even it out…That is ZERO fun and extremely frustrating to high lvl players (Trying to carry 4 people on your back).

As for Courtyard…I wouldn’t take any of those statistics into consideration. I personally have only lost one match in there. The win goes to the smarter team every time. Builds and comps are set for normal maps and the team that is smart enough to adjust their build/ comp wins (most players won’t). The play style is more like small WvW roaming in the aspect of stacking, burning targets and rezing. Get that down and you are golden. Also I noticed a change last night, matches were ending quickly. I thought timer was on 15 min but seemed to end after about 5 min with only 150 points scored for both teams. Didn’t see a change on this so I will have to look next time I am in.

#1 Player Granada
#1 Player Comoros

in PvP

oneply.9586

biggest problem i have seen in courtyard is that most players do not focus as a team. see too often a guy with 10% life on the other team and i am the only one still targeting him while the other 4 people on my team are after the guy with 100% life left. conquest builds would work just fine if people understood the basic strategy and teamwork in a dm.

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

in PvP

Posted by: MarkusParkus.8467

MarkusParkus.8467

Speaking from a premade perspective, MM’ing was much better yesterday/last night, we had 10ish games and I’d say 7/10 were against other premade teams/people using voicecomms and we had some great fights!
Things seem to be on the right track Anet

Furious Scumbag, Raging Scumbag & Geologist Greywind
[NOX] & [Coma] – Gunnar’s Hold.

in PvP

Posted by: Brando.3891

Brando.3891

for what it matters my queue pop within 20s and my match are balanced most of the time

Attachments:

Brando [SC] Snow Crows

in PvP

Posted by: Pseudo Nyx.1390

Pseudo Nyx.1390

I just thought I’d throw my opinion in there, seeing as these updates are getting a lot of negative grief without really being productive.

I’d like to say thank you for the investment of time into improving the pvp as this is where I spend a majority of my time on GW2, I have about 1000 games to my name, I’ve noticed a reduction in 4v5s which is really nice and games do seem closer with the exception of when playing off peek times and the matching seems to go sideways and you end up playing blowout games, courtyard has its issues though I feel that TDM doesn’t belong in the same queue, I do enjoy it but having to change my build drastically to be effective seems frustrating and unless you have a premade no one really works together, I would like to see it have its separate queue with a few more maps and even go as far as having 2v2’s 3v3s and 5v5s, this would truly be amazing.

Anyway cheers for listening to the community and making a positive change

in PvP

Posted by: pelle ossa.9705

pelle ossa.9705

this new matchmaking is soo bad… when i start solo ranked i have against always or a premade with ppl top 200 in old leaderboard or i am in a team with ppl who start recently to play pvp….i don’t want always to win , i want only semi-balance matches. Ty anet for always ruin my game experience

in PvP

Posted by: aelfwe.4239

aelfwe.4239

<cut>

Justin i have a question for you:

Since new match up system aim to avoid having too many professions of the same kind in the same team (speaking about unraked\ranked arena) what do you think about new daily system which take in the game daily like “win 1 match playing mesmer”?

I’m scared that new dailies like that would kill all your job about match making.

I think when pvp new daily will be “win 1 match as mesmer” we will have a really high average of player joining pvp as a mesmer and then this will become a great issue for your system (aka long time queue and\or 3\4 mesmer on same team because we cant reroll).

Wont be better to make some different kind of pvp daily to avoid this issue?

Thx

Aelfwe Dark Asura Mesmer\Thief,
FREE PYRO

in PvP

oneply.9586

^ ive had alot of matches since patch with 3 of the same profession on the same team.

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

in PvP

Posted by: avan.2803

avan.2803

i will be honest i havent read the thread but the only real issue i seem to be having is that as a r30 i keep getting matched with dragons. how does that happen?

in PvP

butch.8136

^Rank doesn’t say a thing. They could have farmed hotjoin. It’s the MMR that counts.

in PvP

Posted by: Silentshoes.1805

Silentshoes.1805

Yeah, and it’s not even wins that count now. It’s whether you won when you were expected to, and scored more points than expected if your team was the strong underdog.

The Alien (condi necro),That Wreckin Crew (Mesmer)
Silentshoes (Thief), Wind of the Woods (condi ranger)

in PvP

avan.2803

still should not have to fight someone who is obviously way more skilled than i am. i thought that was the point?

in PvP

Silentshoes.1805

No the game definitely will put you against stronger players. But it adjusts the points for that. You don’t have to win those, just get 300 pts or so.

in PvP

avan.2803

i prefer not getting stomped to getting more pts

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.9524

Archaon.9524

Being meant to lose and being fine with it it’s totally wrong…and i mean completely blatantly wrong

Winners should go up

Losers should go down

Everyone should play to win not to get to 300 pnts…

Otherwise this is gonna make no sense, a competitive leaderboard should also reward skill and not mindless farm, ppl like prince vingador used to run thousands of matches are gonna be top ladder…i mean…for real? Are you kittening serious?

Ark 2nd Account

in PvP

Posted by: Justin ODell.9517

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

I honestly can’t tell a difference in the matchmaking compared to the previous patch — except now I notice that I fight teams of two, three, or four sometimes. Although that’s actually a good thing for me, since it means I can now queue with one or two people.

Yeah, I put min-potentials down all the way because people were getting long queues. I’ll ramp it back up once the next patch hits and it can scale down by itself.

So the good news is that you’ve got super fast queue, the bad news is that its with the first people we found.

Server Programmer (sPvP)
Isle of Janthir: Flux, Latch, Aegir

in PvP

Silentshoes.1805

I started today in Ranked again. I had 0 points. I got up to 3 pts, and then the 15-sec Ranked Qs tonight have been a total disaster, lol.

Are the top players farming now that they believe it’s the number of games you play, not your MMR?

My record tonight in Ranked Q is 2 wins and 8 losses. Won 1 courtyard and got destroyed in 3, 500-0 each time.

Now I am back to 1 point.

I am going to keep doing ranked Q to see how the ladder point thing works out.

I really don’t think I am a bad player. But these matches in Ranked…wow.

Maybe the lesson is “Do NOT play Ranked Q without a team and TS”.

(edited by Silentshoes.1805)

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

Are the top players farming now that they believe it’s the number of games you play, not your MMR?

They’re partially right. MMR is factored in and skill does matter.

Look at Rank 5 vs Rank 1 NA… Rank 1 has to play ~1.7 matches for every game Rank 5 plays just to keep their lead.

Also, when the ladder starts, the matchmaking system will be able to put more weight on ladder position, so they could end fighting each other more often.

It certainly helps, and it’s something we encourage.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Posted by: longbawl.5072

longbawl.5072

It certainly helps, and it’s something we encourage.

Meaning what for solo q? Won’t we will always be kitten because of premades? Sounds like solo q is just disappearing then.

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

Meaning what for solo q? Won’t we will always be kitten because of premades? Sounds like solo q is just disappearing then.

Meaning nothing for queuing solo. You can play the way you wish, we won’t stop you. I just meant we want people to form teams and play together.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Silentshoes.1805

I’m convinced. Have to get on a team. This is a team game.

in PvP

Posted by: Jiyu.8310

Jiyu.8310

If u really want people to get together in teams, please split up the “Looking for…”-subforum, because the way it is at the moment no one in their right mind is gonna bother using it.

Kranox – More Guns Than Roses [GnR]

in PvP

Posted by: SobeSoul.6910

SobeSoul.6910

Meaning nothing for queuing solo. You can play the way you wish, we won’t stop you. I just meant we want people to form teams and play together.

You do realize that random people on random teams queueing solo aren’t going to form teams because of a leaderboard? This didn’t really occur much under the older system, what makes you think it would change now?

I strongly believe creating automated tournaments that run 24/7 like online poker sites have, where people earn gold, or skins, or some other incentive would encourage new teams to form. There has to be a stronger reason than some leaderboard that doesn’t mean much to casual players and people still learning.

There’s a two-fold problem with using leaderboards to try to promote that, and doing away with solo queues. People who aren’t coordinating in games like people queueing by themselves, like me, do not get to know the other players on my team because either we did poorly and people pass the blame around and get salty, or we won and it’s off to the next game. The second issue is that getting high on the leaderboard to win a mini llama or whatnot isn’t enough of an incentive for people to want to #tryhard and #believe with 4 other dudes.

You mainly set solo queuers ability progress as individuals back doing this, because our skills levels won’t develop when we are getting farmed by premades.

in PvP

Posted by: HipposWild.7185

HipposWild.7185

These matches are so bad!!!! I don’t understand what happened but someone did a terrible god awful job implementing this. Every other match has a 300 point landslide with 5 pre-made dragons versus 5 solo rabbits…. This is the dumbest most enraging state of sPVP I’ve seen since launch. It’s borderline unbelievable.

#1 of all #1 players as ranked by a fair and unbiased committee

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

These matches are so bad!!!! I don’t understand what happened but someone did a terrible god awful job implementing this. Every other match has a 300 point landslide with 5 pre-made dragons versus 5 solo rabbits…. This is the dumbest most enraging state of sPVP I’ve seen since launch. It’s borderline unbelievable.

That’d be me. Sorry. I basically gave the system a lobotomy until we can get in a fix to let it think smarters.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Posted by: Belarorn.9062

Belarorn.9062

I think you Broke sPvP Sir! Congrats! just went 3 games and lost in landslides. My team could not even break 100. Soo…

1. What the Heckz did you do?? and
2. When you gonna fix this Sir?

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

That’d be me. Sorry. I basically gave the system a lobotomy until we can get in a fix to let it think smarters.

So Does this mean until 16th we have basically no filter and we meet the first people we find in unranked/ranked?

This evening was a pain in the kitten .

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

What the Heckz did you do?

I told it to match people as soon as it can.

When you gonna fix this Sir?

It get’s fixed permanently on the 16th, but I can ramp it up while I’m at work and this weekend when I have the time to monitor it.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Silentshoes.1805

And what did a night of “testing” like this do to our MMRs?

Will we be getting these sorts of non-serious teammates for the near future then? And in the test season?

in PvP

Posted by: Belarorn.9062

Belarorn.9062

Thank you sir. Any Idea on whether or not it will be playable anytime tonight?

in PvP

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

Yep. This is the least fun I’ve had in this game in a long while.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

in PvP

butch.8136

And what did a night of “testing” like this do to our MMRs?

Will we be getting these sorts of non-serious teammates for the near future then? And in the test season?

As Justin said, they got a fix coming. It’ll be def. in by next tuesday.

in PvP

Posted by: Lupanic.6502

Lupanic.6502

Could you add the profession limit again to the matchmaking? Thief, thief, thief, mesmer and me as Engi vs Guard, warrior, ele, ele and thief on unranked queue. Based on the guild names all solo players.

Different match was mesmer, mesmer, mesmer, thief and me as engi vs Guard, Necro, necro, engi and mesmer.

Looks like the profession limit could be added again.

in PvP

Posted by: Magolith.9412

Magolith.9412

I hope whatever changes are going to be made will really help.

The past week has been somewhat frustrating, but tonight really put the icing on the cake. Tonight was 3 wins and 11 losses in ranked arena, which has kind of soured my taste for pvp.

I admit, I make my share of mistakes in rotating and picking battles, but I do fairly well in most matches. Just not enough to carry.

To recap tonight:
- I had 2 or 3 close games
- I had several matches against premades where my team just got stomped around (e.g. 500-20 on Khylo). Disappointing, but it doesn’t happen too often.
- 1 match where a player goes AFK about 3/4 through the match.
- 1 match on Temple of the Silent Storm where a player gives up about half-way through, sits around base, and trash talks the team. We were losing, but not bad enough that it couldn’t be turned around.
- The rest of my matches usually consisted of bad comps and 1-3 new(ish) players that 1) did not know how to rotate 2) had little situational awareness, usually leading to 3) they just get downed by the enemy in a matter of seconds.

[WS] Mesmer Mag