Matchmaking Changes + MMR/Leaderboard Reset

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Are you making decay permanent too? This needs to happen.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Posted by: Justin ODell.9517

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

This build does not include any changes to decay, but should make decay much more effective by eliminating sync queuing.

Server Programmer (sPvP)
Isle of Janthir: Flux, Latch, Aegir

in PvP

Posted by: Gamn.4296

Gamn.4296

A mix of highest and lowest rank doesn’t sound good to me. It is frustrating to play against good teams with one or two players lost on the map, not knowing what to do.

This change won’t do anything new to match you against people far from your MMR, whether they are higher or lower. However, just as it works currently, you may be matched with people further away from you if you or they have been been waiting a significant amount of time.

What this change will do is better arrange into teams the players that you are matched against.

Sounds like a great improvement then!

Thanks for clarification.

Modrah

in PvP

Posted by: Gamn.4296

Gamn.4296

Add this to the new players flux better matchmaking will create and you now have a good chance to face people of your skill level.

I see what you mean now, that sounds good!

Modrah

in PvP

Posted by: Storm Deathcloud.4160

Storm Deathcloud.4160

I really hope top ranked players in Team Arena get titles like they did when they took out QP, it only seems fair.

in PvP

Posted by: Mrbig.8019

Mrbig.8019

This build does not include any changes to decay, but should make decay much more effective by eliminating sync queuing.

Nope.

We’ll have a new Azshene goin’ #1 with a 14-0 win ratio staying there for 4 months, than playing another game and staying there forn another 4 months time span.

This NEEDS to happen ASAP. And the decay needs to be HARD.

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

We’ll have a new Azshene goin’ #1 with a 14-0 win ratio staying there for 4 months, than playing another game and staying there forn another 4 months time span.

Maybe. The reason that 14-1 was good enough to stay at the #1 spot for so long is that those 14 victories were against other opponents with ridiculously high MMRs (i.e., they synced a dozen matches and won most of them). Then Azshene won a few matches against the people with inflated MMRs and of course his rating went through the roof. Eventually, it was impossible to catch him because no one you could beat would give enough rating increase to get close to him.

The entire problem may be avoided with this reset. It may still pop up, and they can choose what to do with decay then. Note that harsh decay can create bad matchmaking, since any player who has experienced decay will be queueing at a level that doesn’t reflect his actual skill level. In some cases, the effect on matchmaking can be severe. For example, let’s say five frequent players in the 500-600 area of the leaderboard queue against three players between 500-600 and two top 100 players who haven’t played for a couple weeks. Who will win?

in PvP

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

So basically there isn’t any “real” decay?

Because any decay you get is all removed/reset once you play another game to refresh. How does eliminating sync queue make decay more effective?

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

in PvP

Posted by: Beast.6745

Beast.6745

I totally support the top players receiving ATLEAST a title for being that high on the leader boards. The pvp in this game is amazing but also very challenging. Top players definitely deserve to be recognized… cheers

HURRICANE PATRICIA

in PvP

Mrbig.8019

Maybe. The reason that 14-1 was good enough to stay at the #1 spot for so long is that those 14 victories were against other opponents with ridiculously high MMRs (i.e., they synced a dozen matches and won most of them). Then Azshene won a few matches against the people with inflated MMRs and of course his rating went through the roof. Eventually, it was impossible to catch him because no one you could beat would give enough rating increase to get close to him.

The entire problem may be avoided with this reset. It may still pop up, and they can choose what to do with decay then. Note that harsh decay can create bad matchmaking, since any player who has experienced decay will be queueing at a level that doesn’t reflect his actual skill level. In some cases, the effect on matchmaking can be severe. For example, let’s say five frequent players in the 500-600 area of the leaderboard queue against three players between 500-600 and two top 100 players who haven’t played for a couple weeks. Who will win?

Decay should be progressively worse and PERMANENT. If i don’t play for a week then i should to lose 50+ positions.

If i don’t play for 2 weeks than i should lose 150+ positions.

If i do not play for 3 weeks i should *be invisible from leaderboards till i play another match", while my decay goes worse and worse.

In your example, of course the team with the best players will win, but that’s what the game is about: anyway it would be just a sparkle in the ocean.

If they don’t make HARD PUNISHMENT for those who do not play ( decay, invisible in ladder) and REWARDS for those who effectively play ( winning streak bonuses, daily % win ratio Glicko bonuses and similars) there will be no reason to keep playing; just a lucky winning streak and you can sit on your top 100 score for months.

This cannot happen.

They need to take measures NOW.

in PvP

Posted by: cymerdown.4103

cymerdown.4103

I support the idea of titles being given out on Nov 26th similar to the QP rewards! Let’s welcome a new generation of sweet Arena title-holders!

Kensuda (Bunker Guardian)
Bunker Guardian Guide
Twitch Stream

in PvP

Posted by: Justin ODell.9517

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

We do have a long-range plan that I think you will be happy with. The news should be released soon, but I don’t know exactly when. (So frustrating!!! )

Server Programmer (sPvP)
Isle of Janthir: Flux, Latch, Aegir

in PvP

Lordrosicky.5813

That doesn’t make any sense. Decay is worse in team Q anyway. Honestly resetting the leaderboards is good but you will have a broken leaderboard again within 3-4 months with the current decay system. Not having it permenent is really really bad because nobody likes a game where rank 1 doesnt even play

in PvP

Posted by: daltondeguzman.9182

daltondeguzman.9182

The same or different titles should be given to players high on the TPVP leaderboards as when QP were out. It’s only fair that players be rewarded somehow for being at the top. I dont believe soloQ should be given any type of reward though, only the team tournament.

in PvP

Mrbig.8019

We do have a long-range plan that I think you will be happy with. The news should be released soon, but I don’t know exactly when. (So frustrating!!! )

What Henry said.

There’s no point in resetting leaderboards to have the same situation AGAIN: being rewarded for NOT PLAYING.

I don’t want to sound rude, but you should really revise your priorities.

in PvP

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

This will be great for the game.

Ranger//Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Oni Link.4621

Oni Link.4621

It does, but it also means that the team you’re facing is in the same situation. This will also affect top-end matches as well. Assuming the top 10 solo queue players are in queue at the same time (which is likely after the reset) – instead of having Rank 1-5 on a team and 6-10 on the other side, it will balance the top 10 into more even rosters. This will make matches much more even, assuming there is a discernible difference in skill between top 5 and top 10.

Why don’t you implement a minimum requirement to enter rated arenas? Like minimum rank 10 or 15.
It’s a pain to have teammate which don’t even know what the hell they are doing nor how to play their class.

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

Thanks god something good finally

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

It’s a good step in the right direction, i hope seasons pvp will come quickly after this improvement.

But i agree with Henry&Mr.Big, decay is the key, if we’ll find another guy who reaches #1 with 14-0 and after that, he goes afk for months or weeks, this leaderboard will be always a joke.

in PvP

Lordrosicky.5813

It’s a good step in the right direction, i hope seasons pvp will come quickly after this improvement.

But i agree with Henry&Mr.Big, decay is the key, if we’ll find another guy who reaches #1 with 14-0 and after that, he goes afk for months or weeks, this leaderboard will be always a joke.

Yeh, its a really good change in isolation and the anti-syncing measures are what forum-goers have been asking for.

The decay issue will undermine these leaderboards again.

Here is why. Take team queue and say “team x” gets to rank 1 and then wins 3 games in a row vs “team y” who are the second highest rank team. Now “team x” has an incredibly high rating (maybe they are 20-0). So they can just afk those accounts and play second accounts with lower ratings. These second accounts can be used to bring down “team y”’s ratings by giving them really hard matches for little reward vs these second accounts.

So the team who gets first early on will just quit and then nobody will be able to overtake them because the main way to overtake them (beat them) will be removed. Their rating lead will extend as time goes on and everyone else beats each other because the highest rated people (who SHOULD balance the rating system so rating isnt lost overall)are not playing. So EVERYONE loses rating. This happens even if top rated people just quit rather than go onto second accounts.

If decay isnt permenent then you 100% of the time will get people who quit/play on second accounts refreshing their rating and going to rank 1 again. Or at least very high up.

So where is the reward for playing? There is none.

This is why decay is the main issue with leaderboards. Reseting them is nice provided permenent decay is coming some time in the future. Even with seasons decay is needed. And probably needs to be more severe.

I hope anet know permenent decay is needed. But I dont think so. From what most devs post on here it seems like (reading between the lines), they dont want permenent decay because of their “pick up the game and play when you want” philosophy. Which in this case is misplaced. If they aren’t going to fix decay they should shut the leaderboards off. It is a way way way bigger issue than syncing. It isnt even close.

But recently the pvp team seems to have been “getting it” alot more. Finally they get that power creep has ruined the game and made everyone quit. hey get that they need to fix the syncing. They get that they need variety – starting with new game modes. So the trend is good on things with anet. BUT in the past they have added half baked things like leaderboards, matchmaking, solo q and custom arenas. That is the concern with this change. It is half baked because it doesnt fix the major issue.

But I know how companies work. I have been in situations where I knew that x,y and z needed to be fixed but couldnt be because of a lack of resources. So you have to muddle on and do your best. So the devs are doing a good job. This change is an amazing change. And I know that fixing the decay issue is another thing in a huge list of things which I am sure they would like to get working right. I just wish they would say to us that they know decay isnt ok right now. Because it doesnt seem like they think decay is not working.

(edited by Lordrosicky.5813)

in PvP

Mrbig.8019

Yeh, its a really good change in isolation and the anti-syncing measures are what forum-goers have been asking for.

Here is why. Take team queue and say “team x” gets to rank 1 and then wins 3 games in a row vs “team y” who are the second highest rank team. Now “team x” has an incredibly high rating (maybe they are 20-0). So they can just afk those accounts and play second accounts with lower ratings. These second accounts can be used to bring down “team y”’s ratings by giving them really hard matches for little reward vs these second accounts.

So the team who gets first early on will just quit and then nobody will be able to overtake them because the main way to overtake them (beat them) will be removed. Their rating lead will extend as time goes on and everyone else beats each other because the highest rated people (who SHOULD balance the rating system so rating isnt lost overall)are not playing. So EVERYONE loses rating. This happens even if top rated people just quit rather than go onto second accounts.

If decay isnt permenent then you 100% of the time will get people who quit/play on second accounts refreshing their rating and going to rank 1 again. Or at least very high up.

This is why decay is the main issue with leaderboards. Reseting them is nice provided permenent decay is coming some time in the future. Even with seasons decay is needed. And probably needs to be more severe.

I hope anet know permenent decay is needed. But I dont think so. From what most devs post on here it seems like (reading between the lines), they dont want permenent decay because of their “pick up the game and play when you want” philosophy. Which in this case is misplaced. If they aren’t going to fix decay they should shut the leaderboards off. It is a way way way bigger issue than syncing. It isnt even close.

Exactly this.

As a player i hate syncers, but i can overcome it. No matters how many times i go to top 100 and syncers bring me down, i know that sooner or later i’ll get there again, and by playing over and over and over i’ll EVENTUALLY pass them, or at least reach their level again.

But with no STRONG and PERMANENT leaderboard decay i will never be able to surpass an afker at sky rocket rating, because i’ll never be able to beat him.

This completely invalidates leaderboards, discourages players from playing and gives you no incentive for proving “you’re the best” aside kitten and satisfaction from the challenge.

Stuff that is not enough.

Players will play few matches and quit, and we’ll solve NOTHING.

I will say it again, aNet, REVISE YOUR PRIORITIES because they’re nowhere near how these should be.

Fixing sync and resetting leaderboards is good stuff, but will vain if you don’t fix the core problem, or rather that those leaderboards MEAN NOTHING till they’re filled with afkers.

If you have small resources, focus them ALL ON THIS MATTER AND POSTPONE LADDER RESET AND MATCHMAKING FIX, because fixing decay will BY ITSELF fix a good portion of the matchmaking issue.

(edited by Mrbig.8019)

in PvP

Lordrosicky.5813

Exactly this.

As a player i hate syncers, but i can overcome it. No matters how many times i go to top 100 and syncers bring me down, i know that sooner or later i’ll get there again, and by playing over and over and over i’ll EVENTUALLY pass them, or at least reach their level again.

But with no STRONG and PERMANENT leaderboard decay i will never be able to surpass an afker at sky rocket rating, because i’ll never be able to beat him.

This completely invalidates leaderboards, discourages players from playing and gives you no incentive for proving “you’re the best” aside kitten and satisfaction from the challenge.

Stuff that is not enough.

Players will play few matches and quit, and we’ll solve NOTHING.

I will say it again, aNet, * REVISE YOUR PRIORITIES* because they’re nowhere near how these should be.

Fixing sync and resetting leaderboards is good stuff, but will vain if you don’t fix the core problem, or rather that those leaderboards * MEAN NOTHING* till they’re filled with afkers.

My prediction is that Anet will see a huge spike in pvp activity purely as a result of this reset. I know a ton of teams will want to prove themselves in this “fresh start”, and the same with solo Q players. But after, maybe, two weeks I think this spike in activity will disappear.

This is what happened when both soloq and teamq leaderboards were released. And it was because people realised they were being punished for playing. Plain and simple.

My prediction is, unfortunately, supported by logic AND prior experience. However, any bump in activity is a good thing. And this change puts us one step closer to a good system. It does fix stuff which needed fixing. So lets be happy

in PvP

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Previous

Josh Davis.6015

Next

@Lordrosicky – Thanks for the write-up. I agree with a lot of what you’re saying, and I know the team does as well. If we can get a relatively positive post out of you I know we’re moving in the right direction.

We’re not happy with how leaderboard decay works currently, and we’re going to fix that. However, instead of fixing decay specifically – we want to fix the entire leaderboard system. I hate to say this, but we’ll be able to talk more about our plans for the New Year soon. One update at a time!

in PvP

Lordrosicky.5813

@Lordrosicky – Thanks for the write-up. I agree with a lot of what you’re saying, and I know the team does as well. If we can get a relatively positive post out of you I know we’re moving in the right direction.

We’re not happy with how leaderboard decay works currently, and we’re going to fix that. However, instead of fixing decay specifically – we want to fix the entire leaderboard system. I hate to say this, but we’ll be able to talk more about our plans for the New Year soon. One update at a time!

Well thats good then thanks

in PvP

Posted by: Oblivion.8307

Oblivion.8307

pls grouch, ‘Best AFK EU’ title would be appropriate for my shiny. pls.

Symbolic

in PvP

Posted by: Blackjack.5621

Blackjack.5621

Will there be any rewards for certain leaderboard ranks before the reset or can we just stop playing until then?

With the new system better players will be paired with worse players to make the teams “fair” ? When you implement a Solo q leaderbaordm how am I supposed to reach a top rating when you match me with newbies? I am already paired with people who carry the repair kit to the wrong trebuchet, play horrible builds and have no clue at all (yes we can´t even carry them while syncing, what a shame and newbies isn´t the accurate word, but I don´t want to offend anyone).

I just feel like the system that tries to make fair teams destroys fair competition for leaderbaord ranks, because a good players advantage to a team will be a disadvantage at the same time.

When all I achieve by playing good in soloq results into being paired with noobs I won´t touch this part of the game anymore and since teamq only happens at prime time and outside of this there is no challenging pve content I don´t know what to do besides afking in the mists.

I Zapdos I
WTS Boston winner
Esl profile: http://play.eslgaming.com/player/7930634/

(edited by Blackjack.5621)

in PvP

Posted by: Divinity.8041

Divinity.8041

On a side note: What is with these people asking for some sort of “compensation” for being somewhere in the top??? I mean seriously….

Whether you believe it or not – it’s actually some good playing needed to end up there.
Plus it’s rather obvious that you aren’t anywhere near a rank that could get a reward :P.

You understand that nobody actually respects the current rank system, because of how broken and flawed the system is, and you are being pretentious asking for a reward, and then calling someone out believing they couldn’t earn one?

Your arrogance is simply amazing.

You asking for a reward for being near the top (what is top? top 200?) is equal to being a contracted firefighter putting out half a fire and saying you are done, then expect to get paid for it. You completed half your job, yet you still feel entitled to get paid? Are you freaking serious right now?

Do you hand your boss 50% of what he asked for and then put out your hands for a paycheck? The only thing you would get in the REAL world, in a WORKING system is a pink slip.

And then you have posts like this. Nobody respects the supposed “top players” in this system, because most of them cheated or abused the system to their favor, they should not be rewarded for a TERRIBLY broken system. Hell the old QP system was much better than this. Let’s not reward the abusers in this game. Most of the top players are just like Azh and are good no doubt.

Like tupac said, “I made a G today, but you made it in a sleezy way” “You sold crack to kids” “Hey, I gotta get paid” “That’s just the way is”

R40 Mesmer
Hypercrushed

(edited by Divinity.8041)

in PvP

Posted by: Aereniel.7356

Aereniel.7356

The changes to matchmaking are excellent and sorely needed, and I’m glad they are rolled out next week. Good players will make their way back to the top 1,000, no problem. Major brownie points for sporting the sack to do the reset. However, as many have said, the leaderboards will still reward those who manage a lucky streak and then AFK like a baws. It’s a nonsensical system that encourages idling and rewards those that do not play.

As MrBig suggested, why not set a two or three-week limit after which you are no longer displayed on the boards if you have no games played during that period. You probably haven’t decayed out of the boards during that time, but your name just isn’t displayed. This plus a reasonable decay system will keep the leaderboards clean of AFKers and actually represent the active PvP population. I mean, if I take a two-week summer hols trip, I’m perfectly fine with not having my name up on the boards. I’m not playing, so it’s only fair, right? After I rejoin the actively playing population, I can bounce back just fine.

Still, I’m happy with the changes coming this Tuesday, even if they are only a part of the puzzle.

Been here since launch
Legend S1-S3 with 100% solo queue 100% conquest
Filthy casual, 6k sPvP games

in PvP

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

I should give more suggestions…. looks like Anet actually listens

in PvP

Posted by: Absinth.6917

Absinth.6917

Wonderful change and I applaud you, A-net.

Not sure if anyone has pointed this out as I didn’t read every post, BUT – if you are currently high ranked and deservedly so then a resetting of the leaderboards should only further validate you. You will have the opportunity to re-rank on a more even playing field. If you have any notion of fair play then a simple resetting of the leaderboards should not be an issue. Quite frankly I think they should be reset every 3 months or so.

One other point – I think this would only serve to encourage more people to participate in s/tpvp. Isn’t this what we all want? At this point anything that might encourage more people to play in pvp is a good thing, right?

Potential For An Esport [NONE]

Haiku FTW

(edited by Absinth.6917)

in PvP

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

Also, you MUST have proper decay system, especially with how the MMR will work. People will be afraid of losing their rating so they’ll stop playing, or simply use other account when they get to top x. Same happened in GvG in GW1 and it will happen here. So please add proper decay!

in PvP

Lordrosicky.5813

The changes to matchmaking are excellent and sorely needed, and I’m glad they are rolled out next week. Good players will make their way back to the top 1,000, no problem. Major brownie points for sporting the sack to do the reset. However, as many have said, the leaderboards will still reward those who manage a lucky streak and then AFK like a baws. It’s a nonsensical system that encourages idling and rewards those that do not play.

As MrBig suggested, why not set a two or three-week limit after which you are no longer displayed on the boards if you have no games played during that period. You probably haven’t decayed out of the boards during that time, but your name just isn’t displayed. This plus a reasonable decay system will keep the leaderboards clean of AFKers and actually represent the active PvP population. I mean, if I take a two-week summer hols trip, I’m perfectly fine with not having my name up on the boards. I’m not playing, so it’s only fair, right? After I rejoin the actively playing population, I can bounce back just fine.

Still, I’m happy with the changes coming this Tuesday, even if they are only a part of the puzzle.

But you shouldnt bounce back after you come back. Your absense should be taken as a loss of skill, and people who play should be rewarded. What you are saying is almost what they do and it is broken.

I absolutely hate the arguement about “I shouldnt be punished if I go on holiday!”. Well the people who play shouldnt be punished BECAUSE you are on holiday. And wtf anyway, are you telling me if you are in hawaii on the beach you actually give two kittens about some decay on your rating? It is the most absurd thing ever.

in PvP

Posted by: Erwin.5603

Erwin.5603

Have you looked into increasing the number of games you need to play to be displayed on the leaderboards? 10/11 is too little since a winning streak puts you on rank 1 and it is hard for a player who has a high win percentage, but didn’t get a winning streak at the start to catch up, if not impossible as seen with the soloQ leaderboards.
If you haven’t looked into it, I beg you to bring it up to the whole team and discuss it, since the ladder reset is the perfect moment to implement that change.
plkz
P.S. I suggest something between 30 to 50 games, or alternatively, if you feel this would discourage players from playing since it takes longer to see results on the leaderboards, implement it so it displays you not after 11 games, but after a certain amount of losses.
E.g. 5 losses needed to be displayed. For the regular player it means the same amount of games as before, for very good or very lucky players (or both) it means they have to truly show how good they are by playing enough games to show that this wasn’t a lucky streak, but skill.
I hope you understand the idea behind it and I can’t think this hurts anyone and it actually doesn’t give an disadvantage to the very good players, even if it looks like it on the first glance.

Edit: another P.P.S.: I realized it would be helpful to merge the 2 ideas of mine, e.g. 5 losses OR 30-50 games to be displayed, since some teams actually don’t lose that often, especially if they play on off hours.

Fixi

(edited by Erwin.5603)

in PvP

Oblivion.8307

I’d rather there be a relief period (1week) until permanent decay sets in which would make the leaderboards a lot more competitive with no room for afking.

Symbolic

in PvP

Posted by: Eilanzer.7523

Eilanzer.7523

And when will Lederboards become relevant ? I mean it is fun to see you are ranked and stuff but unless there will be some titles, capes, rewards or something for top ranks they are pointless anyway.

Also maybe it would be smarter to show lederboard ranking at end of match instead of ranks.

THIS indeed…Right now a pvp player is just a tryhard without a single reward or motivation.

SOR – Eilanzer_Necro_80 – White Raven [WR]

in PvP

Posted by: Aereniel.7356

Aereniel.7356

But you shouldnt bounce back after you come back. Your absense should be taken as a loss of skill, and people who play should be rewarded. What you are saying is almost what they do and it is broken.

I absolutely hate the arguement about “I shouldnt be punished if I go on holiday!”. Well the people who play shouldnt be punished BECAUSE you are on holiday. And wtf anyway, are you telling me if you are in hawaii on the beach you actually give two kittens about some decay on your rating? It is the most absurd thing ever.

Mmm, maybe I explained myself poorly there, or perhaps you missed a word or two. Because that’s not what I meant at all.

Long story short, if I’m not playing actively, I should not be on the leaderboard at all. It’s as simple as that. I propose not displaying people on the boards after two-three weeks of non-participation, plus a healthy decay system underneath.

Been here since launch
Legend S1-S3 with 100% solo queue 100% conquest
Filthy casual, 6k sPvP games

in PvP

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

I hate to be totally off topic here. But I want to thank Justin and Josh for taking the time to participate in discussions over the weekend. I hope you were doing so over a good brew with your favorite college football teams on the tube. Either way, thanks for taking the time.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in PvP

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

I’d like seasons too. However, in my opinion the game is not in the right place yet. Balance linked with skill-ceiling and a good reward-system are required, to bring competition and viewers back.
In GW2s actual state it wouldn’t be intelligent, as the crowd sticked to it, is not given. We experienced this in mistleague already. It’s not working withouth these elements.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: Luman.2380

Luman.2380

Quilja – Apex Prime [APeX]

in PvP

Luman.2380

so really what we are saying is that we are still going to see people sit at the top with a 20 wins and 1 lose as always. great!

in PvP

Luman.2380

IMO the decay was more of an issue than anything. Especially in team Q

in PvP

Posted by: Kavia.8249

Kavia.8249

I’d rather there be a relief period (1week) until permanent decay sets in which would make the leaderboards a lot more competitive with no room for afking.

1 week sounds like a reasonable relief time to me. The rate of decay should be an exponential curve with no/minimal decay gradually turning into a lot of decay. Like,

- 10 days, some decay,
- 30 days, significant decay,
- >45 days very fast decay

Kavia Kael
Champion Illusionist
Stormbluff Isle

(edited by Kavia.8249)

in PvP

Posted by: Oni Link.4621

Oni Link.4621

It is TOTALLY USELESS to change matchmaking system and reset leaderboards if you don’t fix “leavers problem” once and for all.
Put a system to abort the match if not all 5 players are inside the room when it starts
AND
make a 1 day PVP ban for the FIRST match you leave. FIRST match.

Otherwise there is no hope for PVP.

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

I agree that some sort of decay-system needs to be worked in as outlined above by various posters. However, I don’t understand how the system will work unless the leaderboards are reset periodically, for example once every three to six months. It seems the people at the top of the boards are untouchable, while those at the bottom (or not on it) are kind of stuck atm.

At times I have won six or seven games in a row, but only risen in rank by a few %- I have also seen players with a huge amount of games under their belt seemingly languishing in the middle of the leaderboards with players who have only done nine or ten games.

The only way I can see that situation being resolved is (in addition to improving matchmaking) periodic resets, or pvp seasons.

in PvP

Oblivion.8307

leaderboards are easy to climb if you can play multiple professions depending on map/comp/enemy comp

Symbolic

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Hammer Hand.4815

Lord Hammer Hand.4815

+ 1 million to you Anet!
i hate all this sync queuer bragging about their leaderboard standing when people around them know how they get it. and when u play with them in tpvp they play like bunch of spvper -_-

Pacific Islander Legion [NoyP]
Black Gate
Ruthless Legend

in PvP

Posted by: Morderger.6298

Morderger.6298

Hows does sync queing effect decay on leader boards?

Morderger – Elementalist / Zarnik – Warrior /Zerlurd – Ranger/ Slurd -Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/morderger

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Hows does sync queing effect decay on leader boards?

People with inflated ratings can sit on them for a long, long time before anyone has a chance to catch them. Also, no one can catch them as long as they don’t play, because to get a rating that high you have to beat someone with a similar rating, which is impossible if they’re not playing.

In other words, sync queueing allows for impossible-to-duplicate MMRs, which means that no one can catch them if they go afk. In theory, eliminating sync queueing and bad matchmaking in general will mean that the problem will be greatly diminished after the reset.

in PvP

Posted by: fodem.2713

fodem.2713

1) Leaderbords been reset each period of 3 , 4 months….

2) Rewards been given to the top players of each period…

3) Changes to matchmaking system been made at the end of each period to avoid exploit, sync etc

4) Problem solved, everybody is happy….

in PvP

Posted by: fodem.2713

fodem.2713

You do realize that some people just log their second account and leave it AFK to feed their main right ?