Mesmer go close

Mesmer go close

in PvP

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

I see this many times when a match start: mes go close. Just wondering why people chose the mes for close at start of match. I’m guessing because they think they are not very good or tanky enough for the initial mid fight. But I may be wrong. I’m curious to know people’s motivation is for saying this.

Mesmer go close

in PvP

Posted by: LouWolfskin.3492

LouWolfskin.3492

Because of the mobility a mesmer brings + portal he can go close, easily catch up to mid and go back to close without much of a problem in no time.

At least if you play the meta build

Mesmer go close

in PvP

Vague Memory.2817

Because of the mobility a mesmer brings + portal he can go close, easily catch up to mid and go back to close without much of a problem in no time.

Not sure about that. The mobility of a mes is a bit of a myth compared to some other classes. Mes has a 30 sec blink skill + 25% movement speed if spec’d into chrono. Eles, warrs, rangers and thieves have far more mobility (in this case to cover greater distances in a short time) than mes in and out of combat. Portal is not carried by many mes from what I’ve seen + doesn’t help you get to mid.

(edited by Vague Memory.2817)

Mesmer go close

in PvP

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

Not sure about that. The mobility of a mes is a bit of a myth compared to some other classes. Mes has a 30 sec blink skill + 25% movement speed if spec’d into chrono. Eles, warrs, rangers and thieves have far more mobility (in this case to cover greater distances in a short time) than mes in and out of combat. Portal is not carried by many mes from what I’ve seen + doesn’t help you get to mid.

Portal. They can be anywhere on the map and cover home.

Mesmer go close

in PvP

Vague Memory.2817

This reason is probably true except about 95% of matches with a mes they don’t spec for portal. Which then makes them a relatively bad choice for mobility.

Mesmer go close

in PvP

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

Where are you pulling 95% from and what type of mes doesn’t run portal wat

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Mesmer go close

in PvP

Posted by: Navajas.3147

Navajas.3147

As probably around 90% of the mesmers run the meta chrono condi, you also have Phase Retreat on staff which operates as a shorter range Blink in the right hands with a very low CD.

Furthermore, any decent mesmer must carry portal (I think almost all of them does), which is one of the best utility skills in the game for pvp. Just watch how many threads are being opened with the amount of tears, complaining about portals.

And with portals, you can get back to close in no time to stop the enemy decapping it, that’s the logic behind it.

Personally I prefer to use portal in an offensive way depending on the enemy comp, as many times a close portal just goes into waste

Heroes’ Ascent.. hero
Long White Hair – among others

Mesmer go close

in PvP

Vague Memory.2817

I play a lot of matches, and my main is a mes so I know what builds are being run, and I rarely see mes run portal on my team or the opposing team. That would mean out of about 100 matches I’d likely see 5 being used, and I’m being generous with the 5. I understand why, because it is a boring build to play portal bot.

Mesmer go close

in PvP

Vague Memory.2817

It may be logical, but it is very rarely used in matches.

Mesmer go close

in PvP

Posted by: Abelisk.4527

Abelisk.4527

Get to platinum and then we’ll talk.

Mesmer go close

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

If you don’t have a thief, it’s better for the Mesmer to do it since they do rotate faster.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Mesmer go close

in PvP

Posted by: LouWolfskin.3492

LouWolfskin.3492

As probably around 90% of the mesmers run the meta chrono condi, you also have Phase Retreat on staff which operates as a shorter range Blink in the right hands with a very low CD.

Furthermore, any decent mesmer must carry portal (I think almost all of them does), which is one of the best utility skills in the game for pvp. Just watch how many threads are being opened with the amount of tears, complaining about portals.

And with portals, you can get back to close in no time to stop the enemy decapping it, that’s the logic behind it.

Personally I prefer to use portal in an offensive way depending on the enemy comp, as many times a close portal just goes into waste

For multiple reasons, even with lots of mesmers on my team using it right, i actually would love for Portal to change in mechanic.
But that’s another story altogether and not topic of this thread.

Mesmer go close

in PvP

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

I play a lot of matches, and my main is a mes so I know what builds are being run, and I rarely see mes run portal on my team or the opposing team. That would mean out of about 100 matches I’d likely see 5 being used, and I’m being generous with the 5. I understand why, because it is a boring build to play portal bot.

You were correctly answered several times in this thread: Mesmer go close at the start because is assumed that they are tanky enough to keep the point and then left a portal and ride to middle, so if an enemy tries to decap the Mes (and maybe other team mates from middle) can hurry to defend close.

This could not happen in most of your matches due reasons, but doesn’t change the logic behind the choice.

Mesmer go close

in PvP

Posted by: ulchanar.4309

ulchanar.4309

I almost always encounter the exact opposite in Gold. Mesmer runs to close without being asked to do so, caps it, comes to mid. Close gets decapped and mesmer just keeps fighting in mid, no portal is opened.

This happened so many times that I usually ask now before the match if the mesmer plays with portal. The answer is typically yes but the outcome still the same most of the time.

Mesmer go close

in PvP

Vague Memory.2817

You were correctly answered several times in this thread: Mesmer go close at the start because is assumed that they are tanky enough to keep the point and then left a portal and ride to middle, so if an enemy tries to decap the Mes (and maybe other team mates from middle) can hurry to defend close.

This could not happen in most of your matches due reasons, but doesn’t change the logic behind the choice.

It is only logical if the Mes has portal, it isn’t logical if they do not, and usually they do not run with it. The reason I think why is because fighting is more fun than running around from cap to cap dropping portals. Similar reason to why a lot of mes didn’t like being veil/portal bots in WvW.

Mesmer go close

in PvP

Posted by: Navajas.3147

Navajas.3147

I almost always encounter the exact opposite in Gold. Mesmer runs to close without being asked to do so, caps it, comes to mid. Close gets decapped and mesmer just keeps fighting in mid, no portal is opened.

This happened so many times that I usually ask now before the match if the mesmer plays with portal. The answer is typically yes but the outcome still the same most of the time.

This is also very situational. Many times it’s advantageous to steamroll the enemy team at mid to start the snowball effect at the cost of losing the cap on close.

Heroes’ Ascent.. hero
Long White Hair – among others

Mesmer go close

in PvP

Posted by: Darknicrofia.2604

Darknicrofia.2604

If you don’t have a thief, it’s better for the Mesmer to do it since they do rotate faster.

lol at a thief capping home.

you’re basically praying your opponent 1/4/0 splits or else you’re giving up a free home cap every single time.

Darknicrofia Sage – Bad Gerdian, Merciless Legend, Platinum NA Solo Que

Mesmer go close

in PvP

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

you’re basically praying your opponent 1/4/0 splits or else you’re giving up a free home cap every single time.

Most of times I defend a point vs a Thief using a Meditrapper, a Burn Guard or a Revenant I have success, but I found some Thieves well able to curbstomp me.

If the Thief at close is very skilled and is running a 1 vs 1 build (not the +1 meta) can be able to succesfully contest and defend the hoime point at the start. The problem is that the kind of build which makes Thief viable in 1 vs 1 usually loses mobility, which makes Mesmer or Warrior a better choice.

Mesmer go close

in PvP

Posted by: Highlie.7641

Highlie.7641

Sending a thief or squishy mesmer home is not a bright strategy. I have no clue where this strategy came from, i can only assume it was created by someone in a team using VOIP. otherwise it’s a near garunteed loss.

I refuse to go home, unless it is certain maps.
-thief

Mesmer go close

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

If my team sends the thief far instead of home, then we have to send some else home instead, if the enemy goes 1/4 then we are undermanned at mid, and completely dependent on the thief winning his 1v1 at far.

That’s way too much trust to be putting on a pug thief.

Now of course if your team has 2 roamers, then yeah sending the thief to not-home is probably a good idea.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

(edited by Crinn.7864)

Mesmer go close

in PvP

Posted by: hackks.3687

hackks.3687

Chrono Mes is a strong duelist that doesn’t have to rely on stealth to survive every engagement like a Thief does. Mes doesn’t have to take home, but they are definitely a viable option. Unlike Thief which has no chance of holding a point from attack without giving up the point.

If you are a Mes and you don’t bring portal to the match, then you don’t understand the game your playing, your role in it, and are basically doing it entirely wrong.

Hackkz/Riggamaroll
I’ve stayed at this party entirely too long

Mesmer go close

in PvP

Posted by: Nickzor.2453

Nickzor.2453

This reason is probably true except about 95% of matches with a mes they don’t spec for portal. Which then makes them a relatively bad choice for mobility.

As a mes main I died a little inside to see someone type that…. if youre a mesmer…. and youre not running port…. just roll a kitten necro…. you will be much more use that way….No joke…. a mesmer doesnt bring enough to the team or to themself without portal to be of any real use. As for mobility good mesmers can about face their phase retreats constantly as well as use phase retreat to gain high ground, for example at mid in forest they can use phase retreat to instantly push them selves off of a lower level and bypass the stairs.The main reason is so they can counter a home push. If say 2 push home rather then a single person moving your team can force an outnumbered mid fight and then the mesmer can move the team back to home.

Mesmer go close

in PvP

Posted by: ich.7086

ich.7086

If my team sends the thief far instead of home, then we have to send some else home instead, if the enemy goes 1/4 then we are undermanned at mid, and completely dependent on the thief winning his 1v1 at far.

That’s way too much trust to be putting on a pug thief.

Now of course if your team has 2 roamers, then yeah sending the thief to not-home is probably a good idea.

If they are 1/4 you send you best 1v1er against the far defender to help the thief which should fake disengage while the 1v1er come so he can surprise burst and you slowly disengage mid towards close so they loose time and the close capper is full cd to help his team. At the end you got sides and 1 kill while they got mid with 0 kills (if you successfully disengaged) and their team has to split up which is good for the thief.

I Am An Intruder – War 80
Ich Bin Marc – Thief 80
All Your Dolyaks Are Belong To [Us] (Fort Ranik)

Mesmer go close

in PvP

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

Who to send home depends on your team comp and the enemy comp. However, I feel that the best choices (meta builds) for home are:

1. Mesmer/thief – mobility obviously.
2. Engineer – Weaker mobility, but high sustain.
3. Guardian/Warrior – Both are better served in mid, but either should be able to hold point
4. Rev – if good, can kill or stall without losing point
5. Necro – Much better in mid where it support and AoEs most effective.
6. Ele – Should always go mid, but can hold the point
7. Ranger – Worst choice. Could be providing support on mid. Very likely to lose the point to anything but thief, because of reliance on stealth. Will die to warriors, which are common.

Mesmer go close

in PvP

Posted by: Aitadis.8269

Aitadis.8269

I go close in solo que unless there are multiple DH’s on other team as that is a matchup that gives me trouble, but when duo que’ing I prefer going mid and trying to get a quick gank on something with moa, works most of the time.

Illusionary Mesmer
[oof] Crystal Desert