More Active Play?

More Active Play?

in PvP

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

Hey,

So first let me say that the combat in the game is fun. Don’t get me wrong, it has a level of enjoyment. However, I dont think it really provides a whole lot of competitive because there is a huge lack of active play for combat. Personally I find this makes the game uninteresting to watch and a bit old to play/boring to play.

I was wondering what everyone thought about the matter and the games combat in terms of providing a suitable environment for competitive gameplay.

So this is my personal opinion on the matter and what I think is holding back this games active play.

1. No real skill punishment. Lack of resource, lack of CD are big play skills (many weapon skills), and lack of casting times.

2. Lots of Passives. Theres a lot of auto activat skills or boon application that just happens passively. Dodge get vigor, equip kit get vigor, get a bleed get regen, etc.

3. Rise of AI. Starting to see AI become prominent and popular.

4. AoEs, AoEs everywhere. Seems like everything is AoE.

5. Defensive setup. Main defensive skills are around using blocks, invuranbilities, stealths, and dodges. Problem is that most of these are easily spammed and don’t really have a counter.

Those are just my gripes for the combat system.

More Active Play?

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

I think they tried with these new heals..

I actually find the new mesmer heal to be quite interesting for my shatter build… makes for quite a lot of time thinking about every move I make..

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

More Active Play?

in PvP

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

I think they tried with these new heals..

I actually find the new mesmer heal to be quite interesting for my shatter build… makes for quite a lot of time thinking about every move I make..

I thought the same thing with the new heals. Problem is that you can’t just include that concept with one skill in the meta. You have to change a Maori of them.

@Rezz

Thats what I want to see what in this game is combat more similar to Gw1 because it cultivated such an amazing competitive atmosphere in a MMO. They had skill punishment because of CDs and mana. They had more single target skills and not as many AoEs. The AI builds required a lot of micromanaging and made them interesting to watch and play. Gw2 combat is fun, I just don’t think it cultivates a competitive atmosphere as well as the other MMOs in the market.

More Active Play?

in PvP

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Hey,

So first let me say that the combat in the game is fun. Don’t get me wrong, it has a level of enjoyment. However, I dont think it really provides a whole lot of competitive because there is a huge lack of active play for combat. Personally I find this makes the game uninteresting to watch and a bit old to play/boring to play.

I was wondering what everyone thought about the matter and the games combat in terms of providing a suitable environment for competitive gameplay.

So this is my personal opinion on the matter and what I think is holding back this games active play.

1. No real skill punishment. Lack of resource, lack of CD are big play skills (many weapon skills), and lack of casting times.

2. Lots of Passives. Theres a lot of auto activat skills or boon application that just happens passively. Dodge get vigor, equip kit get vigor, get a bleed get regen, etc.

3. Rise of AI. Starting to see AI become prominent and popular.

4. AoEs, AoEs everywhere. Seems like everything is AoE.

5. Defensive setup. Main defensive skills are around using blocks, invuranbilities, stealths, and dodges. Problem is that most of these are easily spammed and don’t really have a counter.

Those are just my gripes for the combat system.

Need more specifics, this list is too broad and pretty much says, “Change the whole combat system”.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash