Murphy's Law of the Close Cap

in PvP

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

Remember:

If you leave close undefended, it will be capped within 10 seconds. Always. No matter how empty things look, the moment you stop monitoring and keeping an actual eye on close, it will be lost.

Keep this in mind and you will lose fewer matches. It goes for any point really. If you’re in teamq, there can be exceptions. In soloq? Never.

Never, Ever, Leave a point undefended as a free cap.

in PvP

Posted by: Forsaker.9213

Forsaker.9213

idk how many games i lost becose someone was afk on close and enemy team just ignored him whole game

in PvP

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

idk how many games i lost becose someone was afk on close and enemy team just ignored him whole game

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: OhMyTaeyeon.5831

OhMyTaeyeon.5831

NaƱa (Mesmer)

in PvP

Posted by: Syde.5961

Syde.5961

Og Salmonder [oT] – Warrior
Stormbluff Isle

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

The number of games you’ve lost because a guy left close will outnumber those others by 10 to 1.

in PvP

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

The number of games you’ve lost because a guy left close will outnumber those others by 10 to 1.

If your team is smart, they will inform each other about their movements. Leaving close isn’t a bad idea, leaving close without letting your team know to back off and hold close or whoever is about to rez is a bad idea.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

If your team is smart, they will inform each other about their movements. Leaving close isn’t a bad idea, leaving close without letting your team know to back off and hold close or whoever is about to rez is a bad idea.

Specifically mentioned soloq. All bets are off.

in PvP

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

Ranger//Necro

in PvP

Posted by: RaZaC.1963

RaZaC.1963

in PvP

Posted by: Clip.6845

Clip.6845

I usually hover between close and mid, keeping an eye on close and helping mid (engineer).

80’s: Engineer/Warrior/Necromancer/Mesmer/Thief/Elementalist/Guardian [Seafarer’s Rest]

in PvP

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

no you watch the map and see where enemies are. when there is 1+ unaccounted for you leave point looking for them to be coming. if they are not coming they are going somewhere else which means you’ll quickly see them on mini map.

there are plenty of times, especially on foefire, that you can leave home to help at mid real quick and then go right back towards home to ensure its not gonna be decapped.

in PvP

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

say if you lose mid 2v3 then 2 of them will often come home and you’ll lose it anyway, whereas if you would have run to help mid real quick and helped win the fight then your home stays OK.

in PvP

Posted by: sendmark.4731

sendmark.4731

in PvP

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

1) Cap close

2) Go mid , win 4v5

3) Close decaped

4) Go close, win 2v1 , repeat

Youre holding 1,5x vs. 1,0 nodes on average + kills. You win 300-500

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

1) Cap close

2) Go mid , win 4v5

3) Close decaped

4) Go close, win 2v1 , repeat

Youre holding 1,5x vs. 1,0 nodes on average + kills. You win 300-500

I’ve hardly ever seen 4 people go mid in soloq. By the time you take 10 seconds to reach mid, the battle will already have been decided. If your team won it makes no difference that you came. If your team loses, you’re a free kill + your close point is decapped and enemy now has full 3 cap. GG.

in PvP

Posted by: Dany Little Star.2837

Dany Little Star.2837

Remember:

If you leave close undefended, it will be capped within 10 seconds. Always. No matter how empty things look, the moment you stop monitoring and keeping an actual eye on close, it will be lost.

Keep this in mind and you will lose fewer matches. It goes for any point really. If you’re in teamq, there can be exceptions. In soloq? Never.

COROLLARY:
If you choose to stay to defend close, no-one try to cap it. So you change your choose and go middle. That is the magic moment: close is decapped.

in PvP

Posted by: Forsaker.9213

Forsaker.9213

Stayin close point whole game its the worst idea , your team need to fight 4v5 on rest of the map.Roation and map awarnes will help u win games. try to control where enemy is , its not so hard woth . Let say u are going to cap close at start , rest is going mid , u can see how many enemys is there just looking on map , u see 5 u help , u see 4 u scout.Also control who is dead and we he will respawn. U fight decap engi ? Just ignore him on close push mid , win 4v5 , snowball far gg. It realy not fun when i see guy from your team pn close whole game when u and your team is getting wiped all the time and he is no reacting on anything.

in PvP

Posted by: Mrbig.8019

Mrbig.8019

Stayin close point whole game its the worst idea , your team need to fight 4v5 on rest of the map.Roation and map awarnes will help u win games. try to control where enemy is , its not so hard woth . Let say u are going to cap close at start , rest is going mid , u can see how many enemys is there just looking on map , u see 5 u help , u see 4 u scout.Also control who is dead and we he will respawn. U fight decap engi ? Just ignore him on close push mid , win 4v5 , snowball far gg. It realy not fun when i see guy from your team pn close whole game when u and your team is getting wiped all the time and he is no reacting on anything.

Edit: bolded the decap engi part for emphasis

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

Remember:

COROLLARY:
If you choose to stay to defend close, no-one try to cap it. So you change your choose and go middle. That is the magic moment: close is decapped.

Lol. Exactly!

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

The map makes it pretty impossible to count how many icons are stacked onto a small point like say forest or kyhlo along with the icons of your own teammates. And like I said, by the time you reach the mid fight, it’s usually already over. It takes 12 seconds to cap a point and min 10 seconds to reach mid. 22 seconds. It’s already too late. You can only make things worse.

in PvP

RaZaC.1963

Mesmers make it a pain to keep a count of players via the mini-map but suggesting to remove clones from it would end with me being lynched.

But be fair, if you are half a decent player mesmer clones are but a destraction and looking on the minimap would not make such a big difference for higher tier PvP. It might make it a bit more easy for casual players to keep track of the real mesmer.

Overall I’d vote for clones not being displayed on the minimap because it creates to much clutter to see what other professions are there.

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

Mesmers make it a pain to keep a count of players via the mini-map but suggesting to remove clones from it would end with me being lynched.

But be fair, if you are half a decent player mesmer clones are but a destraction and looking on the minimap would not make such a big difference for higher tier PvP. It might make it a bit more easy for casual players to keep track of the real mesmer.

Overall I’d vote for clones not being displayed on the minimap because it creates to much clutter to see what other professions are there.

Well, in high tier PvP everyone’s on teamspeak so finding out who’s where is never a problem…

in PvP

RaZaC.1963

Well, in high tier PvP everyone’s on teamspeak so finding out who’s where is never a problem…

This is true but its not half as practical as you make it sound. Besides I was thinking about soloq mainly.
In regards to TS, people are communicating in a teamfight usually. As a sidenode holder/pusher I cannot always interrupt them while they are communicating about what is going on in the team-fight. So its not nearly as big a deal as in soloq but it is still a quality of life improvement worth taking in consideration imo.

in PvP

Posted by: cheese.4739

cheese.4739

Much more important: pay attention to your enemies’ close (your far), and count the foes at other points. Decap it whenever it’s left vulnerable, and learn how to judge when to fullcap it rather than just decap -> run.

Pressure is usually more powerful than defence - that’s why no team runs 5 full bunkers.

in PvP

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

If you are not able to count and can’t watch 5+ deaths / respawns, you’re lacking of a good overview. Sometimes it comes down to predicitions, yeah, but that is not the standard case.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: Oblivion.8307

Oblivion.8307

there is an art to afking on close

Symbolic

in PvP

Dirame.8521

Your team still has to coordinate to win in solo q. Tactics don’t change between solo and team qs, it’s just methods of communication that change.

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

Your team still has to coordinate to win in solo q. Tactics don’t change between solo and team qs, it’s just methods of communication that change.

Did you just use the word “communication” and “soloq” in the same sentence?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Is-there-any-Point-of-Communicating/

in PvP

Dirame.8521

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Is-there-any-Point-of-Communicating/

“If you don’t try, you won’t get anywhere” is my philosophy. But you can keep soliloquizing about soloqs, it gets to a point where everyone sees a thread you create and instantly think “what is it now?”

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

“If you don’t try, you won’t get anywhere” is my philosophy. But you can keep soliloquizing about soloqs, it gets to a point where everyone sees a thread you create and instantly think “what is it now?”

The point is there is “de facto” no communication in soloq. So question. What is your strategy when you take for granted that there will never be communication?

Answer: Afk at close if you have to.