My favorite thing

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: Frostball.9108

Frostball.9108

Sometimes, the personal score does have a place and does indicate accurately.

No

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

And sometimes it just shows how utterly ridiculous matchmaking is:

http://img.pichoster.eu/045ac51dgw074.jpg

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

No

M I L K B O I S

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: tanztante.6532

tanztante.6532

If you were to redesign personal score, what would you do? Does it track different types of stats? Would you want your personal stats displayed to other players?

I personally would prefer a system similar to SMITE and other MOBA’s.

Display all the different personal stats at the match ending screen for ALL players on the match and eliminate points entirely. Maybe even log the stats to make them accessible later on to give teams the possibility to evaluate their games after a series of, let’s say 5-10 games.

Attachments:

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

ele @ Gf Left Me Coz Of Ladderboard [vain] (EU) / Salty Strategy [PAIN]

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: R O C.6574

R O C.6574

Why is this an example of bad matchmaking? You had 15 points more than the other teams top score, but the rest of your team had lower scores. You can’t cry bad matchmaking every time you lose. I agree that personal score does not capture every aspect of winning strategies, and that the system can be exploited to get points without contributing to the win (think rank point guild missions.) But overall you have to admit that the winning team USUALLY has the most personal score points.

The game is so situational and sometimes the smallest things can change the game i.e. landing a stomp 0.5 seconds before your opponent can rezz and you have 2 downed allies that rally as a result. That is a HUGE play that comes down to 0.5 seconds. In less than a second the fight can go from a 2v1 to a 1v3. Plays like this can cause one team to run away with the game.

Maybe one player on your team is really good, but in this specific match somebody just has his number and he gets outplayed

Or maybe he has explosive diarrhea and can’t focus on the match very well.

There are so many factors involved in a match that it seems pretty short sighted to constantly blame Anet for bad matchmaking. Now it sounds like they are going to match people based on MMR only next season and ignore divisions in an attempt to please the masses. This method seems to go against a competitive progression type of system with division standings.

If they can tune personal score to accurately depict winning strategies, maybe they can base MMR off personal stats as opposed to simple w/l records.

(edited by R O C.6574)

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

Why is this an example of bad matchmaking?
(…)

Because I didnt die once while my team rallybotted on mid nearly all the time, most of the time fighting on enemy capped point to boot… hence the high personal scores of enemy team. On the other team, the guy with only 95 points contributed most of those points by back-capping my points, dieing quite often in the process.

(…)
You had 15 points more than the other teams top score, but the rest of your team had lower scores. You can’t cry bad matchmaking every time you lose. I agree that personal score does not capture every aspect of winning strategies, and that the system can be exploited to get points without contributing to the win (think rank point guild missions.) But overall you have to admit that the winning team USUALLY has the most personal score points.
(…)

In balanced matches, personal scores are similar and never mile high. Watch for it.

(…)
The game is so situational and sometimes the smallest things can change the game i.e. landing a stomp 0.5 seconds before your opponent can rezz and you have 2 downed allies that rally as a result. That is a HUGE play that comes down to 0.5 seconds. In less than a second the fight can go from a 2v1 to a 1v3. Plays like this can cause one team to run away with the game.
(…)

What you call a HUGE play is in reality just the difference between good players and bad players. You got the stomp because you cc’ed anybody getting ready to rezz or rezzing. You got the stomp because enemy team wasnt good enough cleave/rupt stomp/use stab or invul to get rezz.
Tbh, stomping/rezzing is in no way something thats gonna win you matches hands down.
And to top it of… you get points for it, so I dont see how this would even partain to the discussion.

(…)
Maybe one player on your team is really good, but in this specific match somebody just has his number and he gets outplayed
(…)

He cant be that good if he lets himself get outplayed in conquest 5v5. Sorry to burst your bubble.

(…)
(…)

Context?

(…)
There are so many factors involved in a match that it seems pretty short sighted to constantly blame Anet for bad matchmaking.
(…)

Anet promises improved matchmaking quality and delivers matches, in which I have players on my team that dont just double cap home… they tripple cap it and THEN continue to defend it against one thief with 3 people, not managing to even kill him.
Of course I can and will Anet blame for this. Those kinds of players are the bottom of casualness, they are complete beginners or absolutely unwilling to learn. And because Anet decided Im to carry those noobs now, to improve THEIR match quality… I get the worst kind of matchups possible. Thats not just because mmr is skewed… its because the whole system is kittened up. Whoever thought this would improve match quality should be fired. Its that simple. The whole matchmaking system is one huge design failure, that was already proven to be a failure in season1.

(…)
Now it sounds like they are going to match people based on MMR only next season and ignore divisions in an attempt to please the masses. This method seems to go against a competitive progression type of system with division standings.
(…)

It only goes against a grindy ladder where everybody can reach legendary.

(…)
If they can tune personal score to accurately depict winning strategies, maybe they can base MMR off personal stats as opposed to simple w/l records.

You can calculate pretty accurately how much someone contributed if:
- you add a negative score for dieing
- you punish zerging by at least halfing points (better would be splitting up points)
- reduce amount of points gotten from special objects slightly
- add a defense counter around capture points

But tbh, just adding a death counter will already improve the system by leaps and bounds.

(edited by Yasi.9065)

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: Nightshade.2570

Nightshade.2570

Sometimes, the personal score does have a place and does indicate accurately.

No

Yes, its clear you didn’t read my post.

Let me give you an example. Team A Wins, One person on team A has no score.

This correctly shows that the person with zero score on a winning match did not contribute.

Most people with agree with this.

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: Alex Shatter.7956

Alex Shatter.7956

We’ve been talking about personal score a bit. I’m personally of the opinion that it isn’t representative of a player’s effort in a given match, and it also can be incredibly misleading and potentially lead to bad gameplay habits (5-capping home).

If you were to redesign personal score, what would you do? Does it track different types of stats? Would you want your personal stats displayed to other players?

-No points for double capping. The person on it the longest gets the points, or the score is divided evenly among players on it. Especially true for home

-No points for skirmish kills or restrictions on it. Players should fight on point

-Extra points for rezing and stomping. This behavior should be encouraged

-Point system for fast rotations, somehow. Points for joining up with allies and +1-ing fights. I’m not gonna be the mastermind behind this but I’d like to see that kind of play encouraged

-more points for following map directions. Communing stillness/tranq, running spirit orb, fighting on the bell tower

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: SPESHAL.9106

SPESHAL.9106

We’ve been talking about personal score a bit. I’m personally of the opinion that it isn’t representative of a player’s effort in a given match, and it also can be incredibly misleading and potentially lead to bad gameplay habits (5-capping home).

Once again, the answer to your problem is just using common sense.

Just like the obvious problem you guys just addressed with matchmaking for Season 5, the solution isn’t that tough.

You’re already tracking things like damage, boons removed from teammates, and tons of other stats where you award virtually meaningless medals at the end. Why not just incorporate those same things into the personal score???

Right now…it makes you guys look silly. You award medals at the end of matches for various statistics, but they have little impact on your score which is what’s shown to everybody throughout the match and at the end.

Make up your mind…Either those statistics are meaningless or they aren’t. If they are meaningful, then simply incorporate them into the personal score.

The more things you incorporate into the score…the less likely someone can exploit just one metric to skew things. Common sense 101

My favorite thing

in PvP

R O C.6574

Why is this an example of bad matchmaking?
(…)

Because I didnt die once while my team rallybotted on mid nearly all the time, most of the time fighting on enemy capped point to boot… hence the high personal scores of enemy team. On the other team, the guy with only 95 points contributed most of those points by back-capping my points, dieing quite often in the process.

What division is this in?

(…)
You had 15 points more than the other teams top score, but the rest of your team had lower scores. You can’t cry bad matchmaking every time you lose. I agree that personal score does not capture every aspect of winning strategies, and that the system can be exploited to get points without contributing to the win (think rank point guild missions.) But overall you have to admit that the winning team USUALLY has the most personal score points.
(…)

In balanced matches, personal scores are similar and never mile high. Watch for it.

Nobody’s score seems mile high. 195 is a solid score but i would say mile high is above 300

(…)
(…)

What you call a HUGE play is in reality just the difference between good players and bad players. You got the stomp because you cc’ed anybody getting ready to rezz or rezzing. You got the stomp because enemy team wasnt good enough cleave/rupt stomp/use stab or invul to get rezz.
Tbh, stomping/rezzing is in no way something thats gonna win you matches hands down.
And to top it of… you get points for it, so I dont see how this would even partain to the discussion.

I disagree. The play i described actually lead my team to a 150pt comeback victory. The momentum swing can cause a team that is playing solid to just fold up and die. These types of plays occur at all levels and i don’t think this is a l2p issue at all.

(…)
(…)

He cant be that good if he lets himself get outplayed in conquest 5v5. Sorry to burst your bubble.

…ok. Sure. No matter how good you are, there’s always someone better.

(…)
(…)

Context?

That’s real life man!! Sometimes kitten gets real. Literally.

(…)
There are so many factors involved in a match that it seems pretty short sighted to constantly blame Anet for bad matchmaking.
(…)

Anet promises improved matchmaking quality and delivers matches, in which I have players on my team that dont just double cap home… they tripple cap it and THEN continue to defend it against one thief with 3 people, not managing to even kill him.
Of course I can and will Anet blame for this. Those kinds of players are the bottom of casualness, they are complete beginners or absolutely unwilling to learn. And because Anet decided Im to carry those noobs now, to improve THEIR match quality… I get the worst kind of matchups possible. Thats not just because mmr is skewed… its because the whole system is kittened up. Whoever thought this would improve match quality should be fired. Its that simple. The whole matchmaking system is one huge design failure, that was already proven to be a failure in season1.

Maybe it’s because i don’t have an inflated view of my skill, but when i lose, i don’t blame Anet for giving me a buncha scrubby noobs on my team, I just assume the other team was better and move on. Although, I hope that S5 includes something other than a pip system for progression.

(…)
Now it sounds like they are going to match people based on MMR only next season and ignore divisions in an attempt to please the masses. This method seems to go against a competitive progression type of system with division standings.
(…)

It only goes against a grindy ladder where everybody can reach legendary.

You’ll end up playing the same people all season and start whining about Anet’s “forced” 50% winrate because you’ll be so evenly matched that you will just stall out. Levels of play should be relative to division placement.

(…)

You can calculate pretty accurately how much someone contributed if:
- you add a negative score for dieing
- you punish zerging by at least halfing points (better would be splitting up points)
- reduce amount of points gotten from special objects slightly
- add a defense counter around capture points

But tbh, just adding a death counter will already improve the system by leaps and bounds.

There should be 5 points per kill. If 5 players tagged someone, each should get 1 point for the stomp.

Overall i would hope the goal would be to improve personal scoring to the point that IT would control your MMR and not the match outcome or at least use personal score in addition to the current system. It needs relevance.

(edited by R O C.6574)

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: Lucred.1802

Lucred.1802

-No points for double capping. The person on it the longest gets the points, or the score is divided evenly among players on it. Especially true for home

-No points for skirmish kills or restrictions on it. Players should fight on point

-Extra points for rezing and stomping. This behavior should be encouraged

-Point system for fast rotations, somehow. Points for joining up with allies and +1-ing fights. I’m not gonna be the mastermind behind this but I’d like to see that kind of play encouraged

-more points for following map directions. Communing stillness/tranq, running spirit orb, fighting on the bell tower

If you’re gonna give extra points for rezzing or stomping, you should get rid of all the rez/stomp specific abilities like autostomp gyro and thief uppercut combo, or mesmer/engi autorez field.

Especially if you’re going to attach any actual awards to personal score.

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: SneakyTouchy.6043

SneakyTouchy.6043

The major argument I have is that a player who’s really savvy at analyzing the field and making the best tactical decision possible may end up running in circles around a rock with 3 enemies chasing the player the entire time, evading and blocking all damage.

That’s no damage dealt, no damage received, little boons, no team support, no capping, and no map mechanic capturing, yet 1 person disabling 3 by tempting distraction is a very impacting contribution, perhaps the greatest thing a player can provide.

The only way to evaluate that kind of contribution is to add a new scoring mechanic entirely, to evaluate the number of extra enemies held in combat within some distance over time. When a player can fend off extra enemies, or even better, win 1v2 or 1v3 fights, this act should carry the heaviest weight of all. That level of pressure creates more momentum than anything, and momentum usually always allows the rest of the team to easily cap other points and retain control of them.

The only thing that makes this evaluation really difficult is that in a 1v2, if you don’t last long, then all you’re doing is just feeding, which has the opposite effect. You’d be giving momentum away.

My favorite thing

in PvP

R O C.6574

I would add getting rid of any sort of doubling up of points. Split points for stomps, caps, decaps, beast/lord kills.

Half points for kills off point.

Add points for duration of defending a capped point (probably why ele scores low on avg)

10 points for clicking ready within 5 seconds of entering instance :p

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: cakemonkey.6347

cakemonkey.6347

Points and Scoring can be very misleading. And Kills isn’t always a great indicator either.

In one of the matches my team won. As a Mesmer I spent the whole match – on Foefire – capping the two sides. Rest of my team just took possession of mid and ate the players alive who kept coming.

My score was like 140 and rest of my team were 200+. When it was over I joked on discord I was slacking, but they said “Nah you were keeping them focused on recapping.” I think maybe I got 1 kill the whole match. They weren’t salty at all for my low points.

I’m kind of like OP. I’ve been in matches where other team is all about the kill/personal score. I’ve sat and stalemated or held off people who completely ignored points and capping to get the kill. So when the match ended and they were on the losing team that 200+ score was neat to look at. But the pip went to my team.

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

Hey Josh,

This is what I’ve been thinking for a long time. I think it should be done away with. Personal stats being displayed instead would be a great idea, I’m all for that. It would give a better picture of who is doing what and if they are doing it well.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: Sato.1320

Sato.1320

I always roam around in order to help my team, try to stay on point as short as possible and push forward to next endangered teammate/point. It’s obvious that personal score =/= your effort put into victory. With my playstyle I rarely spend enough time on point to gain personal score for capping or a player kill. Once I notice my teammates are capable of taking down the enemy, there’s no point in staying there. Also often just messing around the point prevents the opposite from pushing, proper movement and map awerness is enough to prevent from decap.
Obviously, these are, let’s say, ‘nuances’ impossible to distinguish for score system. Nevertheless it must be considered as another reason why personal score should be changed or deleted. I usually finish the match with one of the lowest scores despite fact I tryhard to help everyone and roam a lot to provide equality or +1 during fights.

If you are saved by a ranger that flies in and gets you up, wouldn’t you want to reward them? This alone puts incentive into doing well to help your team.

This, +1 for you fella. Bonus pip for being MVP chosen by team would be great. I’m afraid that sympathy of teammates isn’t enough when it comes to encouragement PvP players. Material benefit is needed. If being, for example, MVP 2-3 times in a row or when over 50% of team votes would grant you either extra pip or reward track progress => profit. Once again I underline the benefit word.

On the other hand, there must be put a stress also on the voting. Skipping that issue may result in making new feature a dead feature. For instance, in League of Legends there is (or at least ‘was’ some time ago) similar let’s say ‘team rewarding system’, but ‘giving +1’ wasn’t rewarded and imo simply rarely anyone used it. Title maybe? Glory? I have no idea to be honest.

Gandara, IGN: Saato

(edited by Sato.1320)

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

A lot of personal scoring that is tracked has value, it just doesn’t account for the numbers of people involved. If it did it might more closely match participation value. If you consider the number of people involved and then divided the points by those players it might better reflect what happened. Another way to translate this would be the target of the action would define the total point pool divided by the number of people participating. In the end what is more valuable, 3 people killing 1 or 1 person killing 1, 2 people capping or 1?

So example changes:

• Today 3 people cap home, each player earns 10. Instead should it be 10/3 (rounding down in all cases) so each earn 3. There was no advantage for 3 standing there so why not move along. Point itself was worth 10, the more people involved in the capture should degrade its value for each individual but should never be worth more than its total value.
  • Today 2 versus 1 on a kill would be 5 each. Instead award 2 each.
  • Today 3 Rez one person would be 10 each, instead award 3 to each one.
  • 3 vs 2 and the 3 win, each player would get 3 * 2, 6 each total for the win
  • 3 vs 2 and 2 win, each would get 5 per kill which would mean 15 each total
  • Off point fighting, stays the same but increase points for on point kills by 5.
    There are times when fighting off point has value, and therefore I wouldn’t penalize people for fighting off point but I would increase the points for kills on points more to offset the differences. I understand that there is the defender and assaulter points but a 5 point increase would help define the value in fighting off versus on. This would still be subject to the total value rewards above. An example of when fighting off point might have value is when a person can distract and hold off larger numbers from reaching the objectives and or blocking them from reaching a taken one. Though they are off point they allowed their other members to take other objectives uncontested or prevented back capping without having to fall back to do so. There is no good way to award them for this which is why I wouldn’t penalize them for doing so. If the player is killed before healing up they should be included in the kill bonus though since they were included in the take down of the player.
  • Bunkering, stays the same, paying people to stand on a uncontested point makes no sense if it causes their team to fight outnumbered elsewhere. To offset I would further increase the objective defender bonus by 5 though since holding a point while its under assault does have value.
  • I was going to add an additional point for a spike over a cleave but that might encourage bad habits as multiple people go for a spike when they should be moving on or cleaving.
  • Bonus points for spiking while enemy is being revived. This I would grant an additional 2 personal points to though if it blocks the revive.

Just the change to the points by dividing the number of players I think would change up the numbers we see at times and may better define personal play which might open up more options.

As far as displaying personal stats to other players, not sure there. Opens up a lot of for interpretation. High damage may look good, but it if also means you died 5 times and awarded the other team 25 team points does it tell a different story. If you got a lot of kills but didn’t flip an objective did that have value. How can you tell your point value of your caps and control over time versus your kills to deaths. Still a lot to store and see before just the base stats fill in the picture.

Just some quick thoughts, will ponder this one more.

Edits below: Re-reading this I don’t want to imply +1ing doesn’t have value, it does, but if a team mate required aid it still doesn’t increase the value of the objective or action that occurred, more that value should be shared. Now the counter argument to this might be does this cause ill-will, why did you bud in and take my points. Still think that’s better than awarding people for being on one point when they could be better served elsewhere.

In order to define when that makes sense you would maybe need to add a savior qualifier, a player coming in after a team player is down and prevents them from dying. Or a negative qualifier for dying. Personal score in the latter example should never go below 0.

In a more complicated system rewards the points for a kill could be a measure of the total damage received from each enemy before being downed and divided up that way. So if 90% is done by 1 player they receive 4 and the person that came in an did a couple of shots that was 10% of the down player would get 1. Same could be applied for capturing a point or other objectives.

Some of the ideas might depend on understanding what data can/is captured while in combat today and understanding that.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

(edited by TheGrimm.5624)

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: Drafigo.4690

Drafigo.4690

I see your point however I believe that score does tell you for the most part the players skill. As you stated there are ways to cap points with more then one toon, so there are those one off type cheats you could say. I dont see that as much as I use too a year or two ago. That being said I have some suggestions below not to redesign personal score as much as the point system for conquest matches.

1. Extend the match to 1000 points. ( I know game are already long enough sometime but wait)

2. when you get a kill the points for you say 25 points that total should be reflecting in the match points to instead of 5 points on the total score. This would make players think about strategy then rushing in and dying over and over again.

3. I would subtrack 5 points from not only the player but the match total on death. This again would make you think about rushing in and I believe it would make members wait up for other teams mates to run in together.

4. Holding points is important, so the timer on capping the point should be faster then the decap time. This would force player to fight on point more for fear that they will not be able to decap the point.

Just some thoughts there are a lot of changes that can be made. I do believe personal scores matter I know the example shown above indicates the other but games like that are very odd and rare anyways. I have had games like that and we did hold the points because we simply out rotated the zerg. Ill bet you this is a map where the lord was killed by the thief at the end of the match seen it a hundred times.

(edited by Drafigo.4690)

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: Drafigo.4690

Drafigo.4690

I personally would prefer a system similar to SMITE and other MOBA’s.

Display all the different personal stats at the match ending screen for ALL players on the match and eliminate points entirely. Maybe even log the stats to make them accessible later on to give teams the possibility to evaluate their games after a series of, let’s say 5-10 games.

I was going to make a snide remark about this not being a MOBA and why the heck are you posting a pic of Smite, but I like this idea of showing all these stats. Would help you evaluate guys you play with alto too. Maybe they are not as good as you think they are! Great idea!

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: Protostellar.4981

Protostellar.4981

What I see wrong with the current system is a lack of practical metrics for evaluating effectiveness during the match. Structured PvP is a team event, and the personal scores that currently exist do not support team-play; exactly as you describe, for a novice, they can be misguiding and encourage poor playing habits that can actually be detrimental to a team’s success.

Explicit singular value metrics, such the number of kills made, and/or the total damage done over the course of a match, are not immediately informative numbers by themselves. One player may be in a position to finish off a lot of enemies while not themselves ever participating in the majority of the actual fight(s). While another player could rack up a huge amount of meaningless damage against an opponent that successfully heals through it (or mitigates it otherwise), never seriously posing a threat to his/her enemies. However, a metric that combines these numbers can provide highly useful information that players could use at a glance to know where they might improve.

For example, the number of kills you contributed to weighted by amount of damage you personally did (as a fraction of that opponent’s total health plus the healing they received during that fight), divided by the total number of kills (on both sides), yields a number between 0 and 1 (or 0-% and 100-%, if you like) that directly measures how much real damage you contributed to each kill. Players whose damage is effective and concise will always score higher than players that spam damaging abilities that are easily healed through and never contribute to kills.

The corollary of this, is to also measure a players effective healing: The ratio of actual healing (including self-healing) done, divided by the total amount of healing they’ve done over the course of a match. In this way, a player that is consistently over-healing themselves and their team will always score lower (toward 0) versus a player that is consistently providing real and effective support to their team.

Another useful metric a player would want to know is the effectiveness of their interrupts: How many interrupts did I successfully land as a fraction of the total number of interrupts I cast. A score of 0 would mean every interrupt I cast either missed, failed to hit, or was cast at an ineffective time (against an uninterruptible instant attack, for example). Whereas a score of 1 would indicate that each and every interrupt I cast successfully landed and interrupted an opponent’s cast. The corollary of this too is worth knowing: the fraction of interrupts I avoided versus the number used against me.

Up-time would also be another effective metric: the duration of the match a player spends in a downed state, or waiting to re-spawn, versus the total duration of the match allows a player to quickly understand their own survivability, and that sometimes disengaging from a fight is much more effective than mindlessly running to one’s death.

Finally, to address the example you provided, of multiple players waiting to cap a single node, those such systems of awarding points to players directly for merely being present, could likely be dispensed with altogether as they do not promote team-play. Minimally, awarding all of the players still alive, that were also present at the time the node started capping, should receive the points. At least, in this way, the system becomes explicit in conveying the fact that what one team member does effects the whole team, and vice versa.

It is very simple to extend these kinds of metrics to award players points at the end of a match to seamless replace the current system. All of these numbers could, individually or in an ensemble way, be multiplied by some “perfect score” (2,000 points, for example) that each player would then be awarded at the matches end. Ultimately, by basing metrics around a unity-scale (from 0 to 1, or 0-% to 100-%), and framing the statistics in the context of the team’s contributions as well, players can be provided with much more effective metrics about how they are preforming individually, and relative to other players in the match, as well as whether or not the actions they are taking are truly supporting their team’s success on the battlefield.

(edited by Protostellar.4981)

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: Hooglese.4860

Hooglese.4860

Step one would be to make “skirmisher” be rewarded for fighting on a neutral node rather than off point fighting. This has needed to change since launch.

I’d give +1 point per second holding a node against an enemy. So to promote defending rather than just offending

PvP
revenant – Hoogles Von Boogles
Mesmer – hoogelz

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

As far as points, I would try to make it as close to in game point distribution as possible. I think it is just as important to have negative points as positive ones. Have something similar to +/- for hockey.

==Contributes to individual score:====

Points for things not related to capturing a node:

• Kills: +5 for a kill or rez, -5 for a death.
  • Monsters: +25 for last tick, -25 for engaging and not getting last tick. Counts as off point.
  • Lord Kill 150. Lord save? (lord was less than 50% health, you defended it, and it was alive at the end of the match). Counts as off point
  • Treb. Counts as fighting on a point if you are damaging opponents contesting a point.

On/Near point:

• Time in combat near your capped node. 1 point per second your team holds the node. -1 point per tick you lose.
  • Time in combat near a neutral node. 1 tick per second the node stays neutral plus: 1 point per tick you advance the capture. -1 point per tick you concede to the other team.
  • Time in combat near a hostile node. -1 point per second the other team holds its capture status. 1 point per tick you subtract from the opponents. —being locked in an endless stalemate at a node your team doesn’t control isn’t helping them.
  • Uncontested neutralizing/capping of a node. Initial node capture of the game no points. 1 point per tick you advance the node in your team’s favor after the initial capture.

Off point:

• If team has less caps than the opponent, -(cap differential) per second. —if your team is behind you should be doing something about it

==Other non-scoring stats=====

• Downed to finished ratio. How many players you downed vs. how many got finished.
  • Damage per kill and your death. This would give an indication about how efficient you are at finishing players, and how efficient they are at finishing you.
  • Historical team point differential. –need to filter out matches where there was a DC on either team.

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

In Uncharted 4 PvP you can earn points for any number of actions, but all actions come under two categories. Offensive Score, and Support. These two are combined for your total score.

The breakdown of score is Downs/KO’s, Revives, Assists, Deaths.

So the proper categorizing and assimilation of scoring can go a long way to sorting out this issue. The above is team deathmatch.

For conquest the idea is similar but with relevant scoring, which you can see in the provided screen caps.

As an extra caveat, in Ranked the top scoring player (or top two) score additional rank up points, regardless of if they win or lose (it softens the point loss of a defeat).

Attachments:

My favorite thing

in PvP

R O C.6574

As far as points, I would try to make it as close to in game point distribution as possible. I think it is just as important to have negative points as positive ones. Have something similar to +/- for hockey.

• Monsters: +25 for last tick, -25 for engaging and not getting last tick. Counts as off point.
  • Lord Kill 150. Lord save? (lord was less than 50% health, you defended it, and it was alive at the end of the match). Counts as off point
  • Treb. Counts as fighting on a point if you are damaging opponents contesting a point.

On/Near point:

• Time in combat near your capped node. 1 point per second your team holds the node. -1 point per tick you lose.
  • Time in combat near a neutral node. 1 tick per second the node stays neutral plus: 1 point per tick you advance the capture. -1 point per tick you concede to the other team.
  • Time in combat near a hostile node. -1 point per second the other team holds its capture status. 1 point per tick you subtract from the opponents. —being locked in an endless stalemate at a node your team doesn’t control isn’t helping them.
  • Uncontested neutralizing/capping of a node. Initial node capture of the game no points. 1 point per tick you advance the node in your team’s favor after the initial capture.

Off point:

• If team has less caps than the opponent, -(cap differential) per second. —if your team is behind you should be doing something about it

• Downed to finished ratio. How many players you downed vs. how many got finished.
  • Damage per kill and your death. This would give an indication about how efficient you are at finishing players, and how efficient they are at finishing you.
  • Historical team point differential. –need to filter out matches where there was a DC on either team.

With this unforgiving scoring method, you’d end up with alot of people having 0 score. But it might give a wake-up call to some like “you’re not playing the game right”

I think I understand what you mean about off-point. It’s a negative impact if you have less caps, but if you have more caps, it’s a positive to engage off-point because the opponent is not able to decap

(edited by R O C.6574)

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

It also doesn’t account for holding 2+ players near their home despite not really doing much which helps the team with a 4v3 advantage. I mean I’d be willing to try any system that encourages good play but there’s always a few situational or higher level strategies that the point system won’t be able to account for.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

My favorite thing

in PvP

R O C.6574

It also doesn’t account for holding 2+ players near their home despite not really doing much which helps the team with a 4v3 advantage. I mean I’d be willing to try any system that encourages good play but there’s always a few situational or higher level strategies that the point system won’t be able to account for.

Couldn’t the system detect which skimishes are outnumbered and which outnumbered matches have strategic significance?

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: Velimere.7685

Velimere.7685

I would remove personal score altogether and instead show something like the personal stats at the bottom, but instead have a name tied to each top stat showing who got top what, and what their value for it is. See my attachment for reference.

Attachments:

Anyone who says Zerk is the average Joe build is an average Joe.

My favorite thing

in PvP

Faux Play.6104

I would expect that the losing team would have some people with a below 0 score especially if it was a blowout. I thought about giving points for off point if you have the lead, but it would be hard to determine what is good off point fighting vs. the clueless guy that gives up a free cap because he was chasing a thief off point.

Using forest monsters, it would identify if it was really worth the 25 points for the beast kill when you are behind. If you are down a cap you need to get there put it down and get back in 25 seconds, if you are down 2 caps you need to do it in 12 seconds.

The other advantage to counting the negatives is it will be easier to identify the feeders and quitters. If someone is normally a solid player in their MMR range, and they are running around off point and dying continuously, they probably are trolling. This would quantify that.

With this unforgiving scoring method, you’d end up with alot of people having 0 score. But it might give a wake-up call to some like “you’re not playing the game right”

I think I understand what you mean about off-point. It’s a negative impact if you have less caps, but if you have more caps, it’s a positive to engage off-point because the opponent is not able to decap

My favorite thing

in PvP

Faux Play.6104

I was trying to use things that would be easy to implement. Short of having a knowledgeable person review what is going on and assigning points, I think it would be very difficult to implement an automated scoring system to account for strategy.

I thought about splitting points too, but as people rotate in and out of fights and points it could get quite complicated.

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

Generally personal score has very little meaning unless you have a thief in your team that ends the game with ZERO points like i had this weekend.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: Lucred.1802

Lucred.1802

On/Near point:

Off point:

If you have a downed to finished ratio I guarantee you’ll see nothing but mesmers and scrappers on both teams, everybody else will be obsolete. Especially if you make it worth points.

If you award any points towards match win for stomping you’ll see nothing but engineers and thieves, unless you either get rid of auto-stomp mechanics (uppercut combo and function gyro) or give everyone auto-stomp mechanics (which is dumb as it basically deletes down-state). Plus this encourages bad behavior (stomp instead of cleave in a team fight).

Losing points for losing (having fewer capped points than opponent) is the fastest way to make a game toxic and unplayable. This is a horrible idea of epic proportions. Not to mention the initial mid fight will 100% guarantee a win or loss in a 10-minute match due to this simply because of how long it takes to cap an uncontested point. For example, if after the initial ~1 minute mid-fight Red has 2 points and Blue has 1 point, Blue is gaining a net 0 points from cap (+1 for holding a point, -1 for holding fewer points than Red) while Red is gaining 2 points per 2 seconds. This will quickly make an unsurmountable points gap as long as Red can hold 1 point and occasionally keep the other contested.

My favorite thing

in PvP

Faux Play.6104

On/Near point:

Off point:

==Other +*non*+ +*scoring*+ stats=====

If you have a downed to finished ratio I guarantee you’ll see nothing but mesmers and scrappers on both teams, everybody else will be obsolete. Especially if you make it worth points.

If you award any points towards match win for stomping you’ll see nothing but engineers and thieves, unless you either get rid of auto-stomp mechanics (uppercut combo and function gyro) or give everyone auto-stomp mechanics (which is dumb as it basically deletes down-state). Plus this encourages bad behavior (stomp instead of cleave in a team fight).

Losing points for losing (having fewer capped points than opponent) is the fastest way to make a game toxic and unplayable. This is a horrible idea of epic proportions. Not to mention the initial mid fight will 100% guarantee a win or loss in a 10-minute match due to this simply because of how long it takes to cap an uncontested point. For example, if after the initial ~1 minute mid-fight Red has 2 points and Blue has 1 point, Blue is gaining a net 0 points from cap (+1 for holding a point, -1 for holding fewer points than Red) while Red is gaining 2 points per 2 seconds. This will quickly make an unsurmountable points gap as long as Red can hold 1 point and occasionally keep the other contested.

A couple points you missed.

• The downed to finish ratio was in the non-scoring section. It is a good indicator of how well your team is finishing fights.
  • You only lose points if you are away from a point and have less caps than the other team. If you are in combat near a point you get scored based on your results.
  • Contesting a neutral point will give you a positive score.
  • this is for an individual’s score. Team scoring is the same. The intent was to make scoring an individual’s contribution to the team’s success, or lack of.

(edited by Faux Play.6104)

My favorite thing

in PvP

R O C.6574

This is why I avoid forums, mainly imbeciles

I mean a forum is supposed to be used to talk about stuff and give advice and get advice and stuff like that. share information. so no, not mainly imbeciles here.

Hence the implication in question

@Obindo: Someone has you on youtube throwing a tantrum!! Why Kick/Banish someone that beat you on a duel server. I guess you are a sore loser and a bad reader. LOLOL

Oh yeah, which implication is in question?

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: Phil.8901

Phil.8901

“I did a good game” is a combination of many things in GW2, basically “doing the right thing at the right time”

It ’s almost impossible to translate this directly with numbers, because this combination “right thing at the right time”

The best way is to introduce a MVP vote system players (only in a positive way with a simple +1, you can’t vote for yourself ofc) and let the players decide who played really well.

This is because there are a lot of things in GW2 that only apparently can be good in numeric stats but can be really bad for the game if done with bad timing.

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

It could be useful to update the player score / participation system, as long as it doesn’t have any impact on either Glicko or pips gained or lost from the outcome of the match. You would have to do a very, very good job of specifying personal score to make adding it to either of those systems value positive – a much better job than anyone has ever done in any game.

My favorite thing

in PvP

R O C.6574

It could be useful to update the player score / participation system, as long as it doesn’t have any impact on either Glicko or pips gained or lost from the outcome of the match. You would have to do a very, very good job of specifying personal score to make adding it to either of those systems value positive – a much better job than anyone has ever done in any game.

I would think that if the scoring is accurate it should follow that some sort of ladder reward would be warranted. Something like top score on the losing side doesn’t lose a pip. That would keep people pushing to the end of the match. Even if the scoring isn’t perfect, which it won’t ever be, it would be close enough.

Everyone keeps talking about “high level” strategies that can’t be quantified in a scoring system. IDK… Creating a diversion to occupy 2 or 3 enemies off point when you are up on caps is good, but the plays that allowed that sort of positioning on the map are most likely quantifiable in a scoring system.

Let’s not make the exception the rule here. If you can capture 80% of the strategic plays i’d say we’re doing pretty good.

If you are running around letting noobs chase you off point all match, i’d say don’t expect a high personal score. Typically, in my experience, these plays tend to happen when you are already winning.

(edited by R O C.6574)

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: Phil.8901

Phil.8901

I would think that if the scoring is accurate it should follow that some sort of ladder reward would be warranted. Something like top score on the losing side doesn’t lose a pip. That would keep people pushing to the end of the match.

Coming back to an MVP vote system (by players) I like to see a little the influence on this parameter in your mmr (in a positive way).

Like for example you are the MVP player of the game and your total MMR gains a little bonus (and it makes sense because probably you’re good, you played well).

In this way people can be really incentivate to do always the best they can, and in games where you are defeated too, you can always be the mvp for your team and get a little reward.

I forgot to say, Anet should incentivate this vote at the end of the game with a little personal reward (like for example when you click on ready up at the beginning).

Maybe more than xp rank, a really little xp bonux on reward track.

So a general design.

End of the game

red team

guy +1
guy +1
guy +1
guy +1
guy +1

Blue Team

guy +1
guy +1
guy +1
guy +1
guy +1

You vote for 1 guy in red team and blue team. Can’t vote for yourself

You get a little bonus on xp reaward track like incentive to vote

Mvp players get a little bonus on their MMR. Alternative reward could be you don’t lose pip if you’re the mvp of the defeated team (in loss case).

Ofc It’s only a general idea, can be refined

(edited by Phil.8901)

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: Jourdelune.7456

Jourdelune.7456

First, you did made small great post for the last week. This is a welcoming change. I am really happy to see Anet trying to “engage” more in communication with us.

I think score is not great. Stats are good.

We need to get all those stats stored and accessible through a Player STATS search panel into the MIST. Like Smite or MOBA, stats for esportz are gods.

Most moba, all stats for all players for 1 match are accessible. It’s good info to ponder/analyse afterward (while waiting on queue). Please save match so we can replay them.

It could help team leader to know who in the team is good at what and how to help the team trains in the various “stats” of the game.

Furthermore, having stats leaderboard for fun… would be nice. I don’t really know for sure, but I think I should be around in the top 100 rezzers of this game. It would be nice to show around, or at least give an indication that I really like rezzing (support) build. It’s biased per games played total, so because of the biased… you need average stats has well, more you play harder the average is hard to maintain.

For a small fix that cost is low, giving 2 points / tick on a contested point of your color you stand on, 1 point / tick on a contested grey point would help to give proper boost to point holder score.

Score for outnumbered fight would be nice too. It’s harder to kill when you are 1v2 so you have less points for doing it. But doing that is (or should) be the best way to wins other two points.

Dal Aï Lhama (Tempest), Dal Lahu Akbar (DH), Lord Dhal of Dharma (Scrapper) 12k+ spvp games.
Former Team Captain of ggwp (ESL weekly), GLHF (AG), MIST[CORE] spvp alliance guild.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Ironically, if they would somehow find a way to accurately measure your impact on any given victory or defeat (personal score done right in an utopian world) it would be FAR superior to glicko alone since winning or loosing in itself say very little about what you are worth in a game along 9 other players.

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: Undead Lives.7045

Undead Lives.7045

Defending points. I think this should be scaled so that if you defend it for a certain amount of time, or ward off a certain number of players, you end up getting more points than people who just cap home after losing it again and again……..

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: Highlie.7641

Highlie.7641

Generally personal score has very little meaning unless you have a thief in your team that ends the game with ZERO points like i had this weekend.

You should be thankful, If that thief was playing any other profession he would of knocked you off your high horse

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: Obindo.6802

Obindo.6802

I mean a forum is supposed to be used to talk about stuff and give advice and get advice and stuff like that. share information. so no, not mainly imbeciles here.

@Obindo: Someone has you on youtube throwing a tantrum!! Why Kick/Banish someone that beat you on a duel server. I guess you are a sore loser and a bad reader. LOLOL

Oh yeah, which implication is in question?

Ikr! Warrior was so strong when HoT came out, especially core Kappa

And tell how I can bann him when I do not own the server.

It’s basically like a having a video in WoW where you kill someone 20 lvls under you without gear and then logging out saying he hacked your account.

I was still rather new to the game at that point, so if people want to fap to it as solace for inferiority, idm

I do get mad at myself if I get outplayed, however I did not get outplayed nor did I bann him.

As peeterske said: “I mean a forum is supposed to be used to talk about stuff and give advice and get advice and stuff like that. share information.”

It’s not my problem if I take into account place and audience and you don’t, nor will I cater to your feigned pride.

My favorite thing

in PvP

Obindo.6802

What does that even mean?

Omgz! You’re such a bad reader! LOLOL ECKS DEE

My favorite thing

in PvP

R O C.6574

Whatever dude. You haven’t contributed anything to this thread except troll humor, and even that is a little lacking. Did you care to give your opinion on the actual subject or do you just keep coming back to check your troll bait? You know which one

As far as your duel, the timing is pretty suspicious when the other guy got kicked. Is that how you keep your winning record?

My favorite thing

in PvP

Obindo.6802

Whatever dude. You haven’t contributed anything to this thread except troll humor, and even that is a little lacking. Did you care to give your opinion on the actual subject or do you just keep coming back to check your troll bait? You know which one

As far as your duel, the timing is pretty suspicious when the other guy got kicked. Is that how you keep your winning record?

What subject? What winning record? I still wonder how I can bann someone when I don’t own the server

My favorite thing

in PvP

R O C.6574

What subject? What winning record? I still wonder how I can bann someone when I don’t own the server

I don’t know if you banned him or not. It very well could have been one of your guildies. I don’t care. It’s just funny.

We already know your reading comprehension is less than adequate so it’s no surprise that you don’t know what the subject of this thread is.

My favorite thing

in PvP

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

Hard to say. I frequently will sit and defend a point during s match. Often times a thief or other mobile class will come and try to recap. I successfully defend point and prevent recap but they run off before I can down them. So essentially you get no credit for helping your team win match.

My favorite thing

in PvP

Obindo.6802

I don’t know if you banned him or not. It very well could have been one of your guildies. I don’t care. It’s just funny.

We already know your reading comprehension is less than adequate so it’s no surprise that you don’t know what the subject of this thread is.

My reading comprehension is more than adequate and I already answered to the only subject you “presented”. If you refer to something else that others came up throughout the thread I did not read it for I had no reason to.

Also to say “whatever” and “you troll” is merely a last resort to disparage by indignify what I say during inability to confront. I don’t want to continue repeating myself responding to feigned statements and idiotic ad hominems like that ‘I don’t know how to spell’ cuz I said ‘donno’. But if it makes you feel better or gives you attention you never got elsewhere then go for it.

My favorite thing

in PvP

R O C.6574

Hard to say. I frequently will sit and defend a point during s match. Often times a thief or other mobile class will come and try to recap. I successfully defend point and prevent recap but they run off before I can down them. So essentially you get no credit for helping your team win match.

Sounds like ele in S3. I think defending capped points should be an add for sure. How are the points awarded for Object Defender currently?

My favorite thing

in PvP

R O C.6574

My reading comprehension is more than adequate and I already answered to the only subject you “presented”. If you refer to something else that others came up throughout the thread I did not read it for I had no reason to.

Also to say “whatever” and “you troll” is merely a last resort to disparage by indignify what I say during inability to confront. I don’t want to continue repeating myself responding to feigned statements and idiotic ad hominems like that ‘I don’t know how to spell’ cuz I said ‘donno’. But if it makes you feel better or gives you attention you never got elsewhere then go for it.

…Yawn…

Sure bro… Sure…

Keep coming back for that tasty troll bait.