My sPvP Engineer montage movie, 'To Dust'

in PvP

Posted by: Optics.3289

Optics.3289

After many hours of recording and editing I released my second sPvP montage with the Engineer.

Briefly, after the responses to my last montage I didn’t try any fancy editing, or panning. I just wanted it to be a short intro to set a vibe and then straight into very lightly edited footage so that people can really see how I play and defeat enemies.

For the most part I was using my Grenadier build:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FurMyNykPmE&feature=plcp

I hope you enjoy and please leave me some feedback on whether you enjoyed it or not.

Please check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/OpticsTV/videos
I’ve made a lot of popular Engi builds in the past I swear

in PvP

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

Dam Optics, every time I discuss one of your video’s I start to sound like a fanboy, and I don’t want that

Your editing is again really great, and I just love your intro’s and the way they set up the amosphere of the video’s.

The gameplay is nice to watch, kuddo’s there as well.

As for the panning and such, or the lack thereof: it doesn’t hurt the artistic value of the video one bit that you didn’t pan this time, or zoom too much.
It was indeed clearer now without being boring at all in terms of camera.

oh, nice intermezo there. Was bit surprising and fresh.

(copying this in case you posted it on the negineer forum as well, which i’m sure you did)

(ok, you didn’t)

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

(edited by Kimbald.2697)

in PvP

Posted by: Demegod.2174

Demegod.2174

god kitten you… now i must go create an engineer!!! helluva good clip there mate

in PvP

Posted by: Psychrome.9281

Psychrome.9281

made me want to revisit my engineer as well! great video!!

in PvP

Posted by: BakedGoodz.4082

BakedGoodz.4082

Very nice editing on the Video, I’m an avid user of the grenade kit myself. One thing I think you forgot to mention is why you use the poison grenade to combo. Most people may not realize that altho it may not have any straight up damage such as the bleed grenade it in affect reduce’s the enemies ability to heal by 33% which is major in a fight so I would say rotate your fifth grenade and your number two on pistol if you want to secure a fight.

in PvP

Posted by: Raijinn.9065

Raijinn.9065

Nice video and editing. One thing I was wondering about though. I noticed you seem to crit quite a bit (almost every hit), but I took a look at your build and it only has 11% crit + target the weak. What crit % were you using in the video?

in PvP

Posted by: Kronos.4876

Kronos.4876

I dont know man. The editing is nice and all (although I dont know how choirs and jumping off a cliff fit into GW2 but whatever) but man. Back in the days of CS 1.6 and Day of Defeat, if such a montage (they were called fragmovies and had A LOT better editing than this one) was recorded on public servers, the creator would have been mocked to no end for that fact. And in my opinion, rightfully so. Nowadays, those movies dont show skill because we can not be certain that your opponents are skilled. Let alone coordinated, which is a HUGE HUGE part of high level guild wars 2.
I remember having GBs over GBs of excellent fragmovies, all worth watching because they displayed skill on the highest level of competetive gaming, with voicechat laid over the video in key moments, or having splitscreen action in a 2vX situation. I dont know man, I dont get why videos like this get praised so much around here.

(edited by Kronos.4876)

in PvP

Optics.3289

I dont know man. The editing is nice and all (although I dont know how choirs and jumping off a cliff fit into GW2 but whatever) but man. Back in the days of CS 1.6 and Day of Defeat, if such a montage (they were called fragmovies and had A LOT better editing than this one) was recorded on public servers, the creator would have been mocked to no end for that fact. And in my opinion, rightfully so. Nowadays, those movies dont show skill because we can not be certain that your opponents are skilled. Let alone coordinated, which is a HUGE HUGE part of high level guild wars 2.
I remember having GBs over GBs of excellent fragmovies, all worth watching because they displayed skill on the highest level of competetive gaming, with voicechat laid over the video in key moments, or having splitscreen action in a 2vX situation. I dont know man, I dont get why videos like this get praised so much around here.

Believe it or not I agree with you mostly, but how do you suggest I create a movie where I can prove 100% that every player I fight is skilful?
I don’t agree with you about the editing- how did these people you speak of create a movie with excellent editing yet still contain a level of skill awareness within the video?
I think editing takes the focus off the mechanics and skill of play, and puts it more on the epicness of the video. If I learned how to edit particularly well, I wouldn’t make a skilful movie… I would make a pure montage where the only things I show are highlights where I play particularly unskilled opponents because it makes entertainment.
At the end of the day, these movies are meant for entertainment. I don’t ever claim that I’m good, and frankly I have no professional guild, and no skilful friends, so I can’t judge how good I am, and I probably am not nearly good enough to combat against very skilful people. (I wish I could practise with a good guild, though)
And I’m not experienced with editing, with the last movie I made getting a bad respone editing wise, saying that I annoyed people because they couldn’t clearly see what was going on, so please, I am genuinely interested in how these people edited very well but kept the movie itself focussed on displaying very skilful plays.

Please check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/OpticsTV/videos

in PvP

Optics.3289

Nice video and editing. One thing I was wondering about though. I noticed you seem to crit quite a bit (almost every hit), but I took a look at your build and it only has 11% crit + target the weak. What crit % were you using in the video?

I had the med kit and so a lot of the time I had fury from the stimulant, which might explain it.

in PvP

Optics.3289

made me want to revisit my engineer as well! great video!!

Thanks mate

in PvP

Posted by: Pyrial.2917

Pyrial.2917

I enjoyed it and learned a bunch about engineers through your other videos. Thanks for sharing.

in PvP

Pyrial.2917

Then by all means regale us with a video of your professional level of play. We may learn a thing or two.

in PvP

Posted by: Kronos.4876

Kronos.4876

Then by all means regale us with a video of your professional level of play. We may learn a thing or two.

Go troll somewhere else.

I don’t agree with you about the editing- how did these people you speak of create a movie with excellent editing yet still contain a level of skill awareness within the video?

Take this gem for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coY1SrGbRWs

The COD4 version of Slovenian Show is also very, very good. The editing is so good because its decent enough to not ruin the flow of the video, while also not beinf just one fraps after the other. And another point that make good fragmovies is the audio/video snyc. Notice how its almost always perfectly synced? Thats just fun to watch.

But after thinking some more about it, maybe GW2 just isnt a game that favors fragmovies all that much – I have not seen a single good one yet, although I think with paid tournaments out there might be something good soon.

And lastly, fragmovies (at least im my opinion) have already passed their zenith, I havent seen a lot of good ones coming out lately, no matter the game. Also, in the early to mid 2000’s, there were entire communities and websites dedicated to making fragmovies and for a 500mb+ movie you had to wait a few hours before it finished downloading. It was something special. Finding gems in the vast wastelands of youtube nowadays is hard.

in PvP

Optics.3289

Take this gem for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coY1SrGbRWs

The COD4 version of Slovenian Show is also very, very good. The editing is so good because its decent enough to not ruin the flow of the video, while also not beinf just one fraps after the other. And another point that make good fragmovies is the audio/video snyc. Notice how its almost always perfectly synced? Thats just fun to watch.

But after thinking some more about it, maybe GW2 just isnt a game that favors fragmovies all that much – I have not seen a single good one yet, although I think with paid tournaments out there might be something good soon.

And lastly, fragmovies (at least im my opinion) have already passed their zenith, I havent seen a lot of good ones coming out lately, no matter the game. Also, in the early to mid 2000’s, there were entire communities and websites dedicated to making fragmovies and for a 500mb+ movie you had to wait a few hours before it finished downloading. It was something special. Finding gems in the vast wastelands of youtube nowadays is hard.

It’s highly unfair for you to compare an MMO movie with a COD movie.

COD montages require a 2 second clip for people to see a level of skill. With MMOs, the clip can be minutes, sometimes many minutes, because the combat is slow-paced compared to COD and everything is important, as well as having to take in health bars, cooldowns, etc. Editing is much more difficult and the length of clips is much, much longer.

Plus, I didn’t try any fancy editing, because I just wanted people to see how I played. It’s clear, and to a degree MMO movies have to be clear. I have never seen an MMO movie that doesn’t have unedited clips that last at least 10-25 seconds (unless it’s an intro)

in PvP

Pyrial.2917

@Kronos, maybe you should take your own advice. I eagerly await the cinematic starring your elite skills.