My two cents: Open world dueling

in PvP

Posted by: MrWubzy.3587

MrWubzy.3587

Hello! I’ve seen some threads on this forum and Reddit about dueling (open world) lately, and it’s pretty much a consensus that nobody wants it. ArenaNet gave us a taste of dueling with guild hall arenas, and I can say that people in my guilds absolutely love it, especially if they’re in to PvP (hell, even I’ve taken part in it even though I hate PvP). Let’s not forget 1v1 WvW roaming, which I’ve heard is fun as all get out.

Since we already have forms of dueling in the game, you can say that adding open world dueling isn’t really necessary. I’d say the same, although the addition would be welcomed by some of my friends. I wouldn’t mind it, since there would likely be a tool I can use to opt out of all duel requests (hopefully).

It doesn’t hurt the game, but it also doesn’t really add to it. So where’s the push to add it? Put simply, people want it just to have it (if you ask me). I’d say that’s a pretty weak argument. You can say that people want it to test builds and DPS, but we already have tools for that (1v1 PvP rooms come to mind). You can also say that people just want to stroke their ego, to be better than everyone else. But those are also pretty weak arguments.

What it all boils down to is: what benefit would it give to us to add open world dueling? What would be the purpose? I honestly don’t know. But I can say that it wouldn’t hurt the game at all to have it. It’d just be another fun side thing to do when you’re bored.

Since it’s not really a priority, I’m not asking ArenaNet to add it right away. They’ve got better things to work on right now. All I can say is that it’d be a nice feature to have for some of my friends and guild mates, and I want to see them happy.

It can’t hurt to have a little competition, right?

| Biyx [Guardian] ; Aika Vonelli [Ranger] |
| Proud roleplayer! |
| Biyx’s All-For-Nothing Challenge |

in PvP

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

This competition already exists in the game : it is called vwv, guild arenas, PVP and custom arenas in PVP. Why add it in pve if the game grew on a cooperative environment ? What benefit could that have if most on people on forums disagree with it ? What is the point of delaying other regular source of content of pve for some PvP in these maps? Imagine the nightmare it would become in terms of balance. I tell what the real problem is: people want PvP in pve because the PvP side of this game is currently getting stale.

in PvP

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

As a PvE person I say, PvP players have WvW. They have sPvP. How about leaving the remaining part of the game, PvE, to PvE. PvP players already have 2 of the 3 game venues. You don’t need 3 of 3.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

in PvP

Posted by: PierPiero.9142

PierPiero.9142

for this there is already wvw . It is a pve thing where you can kill people

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Even if it was implemented with a flagging system at the bottom of the Black Citadel in a tiny arena where you had to join an instance, it would still be too disturbing to players who do not want dueling.

To anyone with experience or interest in duels they already know that the current options are not adequate due to several reasons the main one being exclusion. It’s not an option available to ALL players. Guild halls are limited to PvE players who grinded for a guild hall arena, WvW is limited to server rotations and PvP has build restrictions.

Given the amount of times this topic has been closed in 4 years, it’s safe to assume that it’s never going to happen but atleast some sort of effort was given on the subject, just a shame guild halls and the OS are so limiting and excludes a major part of the PvP/dueling community.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

in PvP

Posted by: Mikhael.2391

Mikhael.2391

I like dueling and what i would like would be for a /duel. if accepted both imune from damage from other players and prevented from deallling damage to others than the dueller. easy no complications.

in PvP

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

I think the developers shy away from anything that even remotely suggests that they might address 1v1 balancing, so I doubt dueling will ever be officially acknowledged..

in PvP

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

After seeing it work rather splendidly in ESO it’s really puzzling to see Anet so far behind in their features.

I guess they’ve been focusing on the real stuff that defined their brand, like GvG.

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

After seeing it work rather splendidly in ESO it’s really puzzling to see Anet so far behind in their features.

I guess they’ve been focusing on the real stuff that defined their brand, like GvG.

It worked well for eso because they completely lack any sort of structured PvP scene. The only pvp over there was in the form of wvw. And still, people complain about the non-stop cluster of Pvp duels in the cities at way shrines. Seems like an unnecessary option in gw2 where other options already exist, especially when we all know it’s just going to cause more complaint threads on the forums.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds