My view on PVP as of 13/10/2015

in PvP

Posted by: Phantom.5389

Phantom.5389

So, apparently, Gw2 pvp got 2 distinct playing field. Premade pvp and the rest.

In premade team pvp, burning is not an issue since their team composition is based around elementalist (easy access to condi cleanse), necromancer (easy access to condition transfer) and support guardian or support warrior (massive access to condition cleanse). Thus negating the insane damage that burning condition can pull out.

In the other aspect of pvp where you don’ premade 24/7 you seems to have 3 options.

Option 1 : Run the build that counter burning, be that support guardian or support warrior, be that necromancer or be that celestial elementalist.

Option 2 : Run a burning build yourself and hope that the team generated to face you did not follow option 1, may the best condition user win.

Option 3 : Run that power build you love and hope that the team generated does not include a ratio of 2+ condition users that your limited amount of condition cleanse can’t manage (you should atleast always have 1 or 2 condition cleanse, even if using option 3). Otherwise, pray to god someone in your team wanna be that support/bunk build so you can survive those burning stacks that gets applied faster than you can cleanse.

P.S. I did notice that in most case, the class diversity is… non-existent.

As for the melee class (see here guardian and warrior), it is basically expected that you will run a bunker support build nowadays (unless you are a burn guardian).

As for the thief, you are expected to +1 only because you can’t stand a burning guard, you can’t stand a trap ranger, you can’t stand… You get the point…Thief is weak in the current meta.

Mesmer are in a wierd spot because they kind of took the position of the old thief due to their survivability+mobility while being abble to deal some great damage at a range distance.

Necromancers are in a sweet spot at the moment since many power builds were left behind and those condition users that try to catch that necromancer will often eat back their own conditions and die while crying. Otherwise it is a good class to bunker and await reinforcement in case of a dire situation.

Engineer were king with their decap/bunker, but this got nerfed (thanks god). BUT! They got a decent love patch recently with the burning condition going out of control. Basically, most engineer will run a condition engineer build due to it’s insane condition burst while havign acess to some decent survivability.

Rangers, hated in WvW but fairly decent in pvp with their trap condi ranger build. High sustain and great at caping/decaping with those traps. Otherwise, the longbow ranger build is not completly out of the game, yet it is highly situational since it doesn’t offer the same contesting power in conquest as the condition build. Can be decent in the map Temple for a middle fight in a +1 scenario, but then again I would go for mesmer.

Elementalist… Nothing much to say about them is there? Still highly viable for pvp when it comes out to being good at everything while equipped with celestial gear. Won’t speak further in that case.

Conclusion about non-premade team
The condition build will often be the best choice over the power build due to the higher sustain it gives you while being able to deal some insane damage, especially for the condition builds working around burning (guardian, engineer, ranger). Power build lost its color and will often only be viable if you have players in your team willing to play a heavy support role. And even then, a condi build can pull out a condition burst that is pretty much as strong as a power user. Thus blurring the distinction between condition damange and direct damage. Back in the days, the higher sustain of a condition build was related to the fact that they could not burst someone down in a short amount of time. Nowadays, they benefit from the same tankiness as they used to while being able to burst down someone with the help of the new damage associated with the burning condition. Personnal cleanse is often not enough because your cleanse might cleanse that doom sigil, that blind or worse… that vulnerability stack.

Personnal condition cleanse is often lacking for a great amount of builds. The fact that anti condition runes/sigils can be equipped is not a valid argument to my eyes since a decent condition build will also equip runes/sigil giving him access to more conditions. The fact that the condition application is higher than condition cleanse for most build is not the problem. The problem to me seems to be the fact that a condition is now able to burst down someone while having the benefit of a higher suvivability. I think burn should have a lower damage output while being slightly longer (see here shorter duration than bleed, but higher damage than bleed).

I just think that the team composition are really stale and are forced to be around heavy condition removal due to the new damage of burning… Thus reducing the so promised build diversity promised by ArenaNet.

in PvP

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

1) It’s for shure that if you play in a well balanced and tested team you win, expecially against pugs. But that work in every single MMORPG, it’s not a surprise or something that happen only in GW2.

2) If you play in solo 90% of times you play your favorite class and build. That will always happen because no one that play only for fun (a player that play for win will for shure try to find a party of friends/guild members/casuals to organize a good pvp team before enter the match). And if you play your favorite build you can’t pretend to force other pugs to play what you want only why you don’t want to be the bunker. Sometimes you can find players like me that like to play some bunker builds like necro MM, making me a good add to a team (in that current meta). The other 10% of times the pug is in that match only to do the daily win with a class that don’t know at all, hoping to find a half premade team to win with.

3) Every team have to chose a player to be the support/bunker with a lot of condi clean, expecially AoE, and/or some skills to send back conditions on the enemy or corrupt they’re boons. Some players call that the “Meta” effect, forcing you to chose to focus on degence from the biggest damage source instead of use a defense at random hoping that it work.
ANet can make new builds viable, but players have to chose them to change the “meta”.

4) Power Burst > Condi “burst”.
Sometimes I see players posting images of them suffering from 80k of Burn, screaming that it’s a OP damage. But that make me laugh because if they survived to 80k of burn (plus…20k, more or less, of other damage sources…?) they barely have been recived a total damage that had to be able to kill them 5-7 times or more before they died. Where do you see all that “burn burst op damage” that everyone mention? I really don’t see it.
If Burn was OP they will read more or less 15-20k of Burn damage before fall dead, for shure not more than 5-7 times they’re hp.
Like when a direct damage meditation guardian focus a thief: 4 seconds and the thief is downed, with lesser than 20k of damage.
How can be that 15-20k of direct damage that can kill you fast lesser dps than 60-80k of Burn + other sources of damage that you need to recive to be killed?

5) A stat that make you not easy to burst down is always good, expecially in not organized teams. Then, a condition damage build have alreasy a good amount of vitality/toughness, making it really good. But a Barbarian or Knight amulet can make the same effect, only reducing a little more in % your damage. But a good dps will still be able to deal more burst damage than a condititon build (fighting against an active player, not a golem doll that keep all your conditions without a single clean/block/dodge/bling/xxxx skill or movements). A good example can be the dps mesmer, that can deal insane damage by far without any problems with a really easy build.

6) Burn is good, deal good damage, but if you’re a pug and the enemy is a premade all your mental work go into the toilet why you will have not a single aoe condi clean while the enemy will have a lot of them, making your pug burn strategy a waste of time and damage source.
Basically, Burn work good only in PugVsPug fights.

At the end:
Yes, everyone in sPvP that join in solo want to do dailyes with classes that they don’t know how to use, sometimes don’t know how to fight in team, or want to play they’re favorite class and build and don’t want to change they’re class or build only to make you happy. And frequently they follow the “Meta”, using builds that don’t always work like supposed (the burn guardian in metabattle, for example, isn’t for shure the best burn guardian you can make, the same about other builds listed in that site and frequently used by bad/mediocre casual players) and increasing the spam of condititons everywhere, sometimes with really bad results (expecially if the enemy team have a necromancer or a bunker guardian to clean or send back conditions).

Actually the “condi meta” isn’t the best meta you can do. Is a good choice, but not the best, not for every classes or situations.
Guardians, warriors, mesmers, thiefs, rangers, necromancers can deal better damage in direct damage builds (with variations from berserker to barbarian/knight or soldier -expecially for necromancers-).

Actually in sPvP there’s much more direct damage builds than condi builds. But there’s a good 60/40 division that make every build viable (in favor of direct damage), both to fight against direct or condition damage. And that increase the build variety of the game.

in PvP

Posted by: guildwarstwentytwelve.5693

guildwarstwentytwelve.5693

Silv I disagree you might be able to do more instant dmg as DD as you should its DD but condi as is far out weighs dps. Its so far that its broken. Currently most classes have some form of range that includes condi. Now everyone can drop condis on a person and run off, if the targets cleanse is down which is always in the games current state due to so many condi classes, you get to see an entire group drop dmg on you and run off. DD has no way of stacking dmg on a person at range and running off while the target dies. Currently condis are broken.

in PvP

Phantom.5389

Thanks for the reply Silv ^^ Pretty much how I feel about it.

And yes I main a power build on my warrior and my win/rate is pretty decent I would say. Most of the time, when I lose it’s because my team is facing a full condi team (see here 4 to 5 players being condition) while my team is pretty random, In those scenario, having one support guard or warrior to aoe cleanse on top of our personnal cleanse is simply not enough. Hell, even 2 support build in there would probably not get rid of that many conditions, thus the preference for elementalist + guardian/warrior support as a team composition.

As for point 4, don’t get me wrong. I said condition build now have a much higher condi burst than before, but I still see power build having a higher burst. Just that the gap between the 2 is now much thinner than it was before due to the new burning condition.

And yes, I guess you are right, I should maybe prevent myself from solo queing too much, sometimes it just gets on my nerve when I see the same team composition over and over again.

in PvP

Posted by: Thuggernaut.1250

Thuggernaut.1250

A true solo queue would really help with the issues that OP has discussed.

Phantom, I think you’ve hit a good point on build diversity: it has reached critical levels for multiple professions (Warrior and Thief especially) in sPvP. It seems like, for most professions, either (1) there is only one decent build, or (2) there is one build so much better than the rest you would have to be crazy not to run it.

I was a big fan of the specialization update until it actually came out. I thought it would help build diversity; I was dead wrong.

As for condi builds: they are gimmick builds/one-trick ponies… as hard as burning hits right now, I think most classes have a good way of mitigating it. Unfortunately for classes like Warrior/Thief, condi cleanse is not in the meta right now, so condis will affect them more.

in PvP

Posted by: Nocta.5274

Nocta.5274

You know that the strongest engi build, the meta one run by pro team, is a pure power build with no burning, right ?

Characters :
Nooctae ( Thief ) / Encelya ( Engineer ) / Jane Crimson ( Elementalist ) / Kowywr ( Revenant )
Europe, Vizunah.

in PvP

Posted by: Style.1092

Style.1092

Guess what? This game can only and only be balanced by moba style hero pick.
Instead of hero pick, here you could have predefined builds/setups.
Guess what? that will never to happen…
Good luck with pvp in current state.

Cpt Nemo Kolkozy

in PvP

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

There are so many of these threads that they should just be combined into one.

“I’m pretty decent at pvp, but since I don’t win every match and every fight, then the game must be broken. Here’s a list of build types that I’m having a hard time against. Please nerf and then the game will be fixed. Unless I lose to something else.”

in PvP

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

2) If you play in solo 90% of times you play your favorite class and build. That will always happen because no one that play only for fun (a player that play for win will for shure try to find a party of friends/guild members/casuals to organize a good pvp team before enter the match). And if you play your favorite build you can’t pretend to force other pugs to play what you want only why you don’t want to be the bunker. Sometimes you can find players like me that like to play some bunker builds like necro MM, making me a good add to a team (in that current meta). The other 10% of times the pug is in that match only to do the daily win with a class that don’t know at all, hoping to find a half premade team to win with.

I solo and my most played class is only about 22% of my total games.

in PvP

Phantom.5389

@Nocta.5274

Please read the post before answering to it. I did clarify that if I play a premade it is fine since I will run with a team composition based against conditions (see here elementalist/support guard/support warrior/necros and add in a few power damage dealer). Team pvp and solo Q is 2 different beast. Insolo Q if you wanna win, your build diversity is affected greatly since condition needs to be hard countered if you want to ensure not raging at aoe condition fest (and as I said, sometimes even if you roll support, you alone is often not enough to keep the condition spreading around in check, and that is while playing one of the most boring bunker support build… sorry for those who loves those build but you are the true MVP).

@Dashi.1368
It is not a question of winning/losing. It is the fact that most class are forced into a specific build (be it burning build or mass cleanse build in a solo Q pvp).

Thieves -> Non-existent or closely
Rangers -> Condi ranger
Mesmer -> There are some, glad they can still play shatter mesmer, be it condi or power.
Warrior -> Support warrior
Guardian -> Support Guardian or burn guard
Engineer -> Burn engineer
Necromancer → Currently in a sweet spot due to condition meta.
Elementalist -> Meta did not change how they are played, but still mainly one build can be seen and it’s DD/cele ele.

I’d rather have a win/loss ratio much worst. Let’s be honest if you duo Q and you and your friend play support/support or support/burn you just got yourself a solid starting team and will most likely win this pugs vs pugs battle. As for solo Q, odds are still in your favor if you get to play a support build. Yet, where is build diversity? Nowhere to be seen…As a Warrior main I hate this meta. It got old really fast…

(edited by Phantom.5389)

in PvP

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

@Nocta.5274

Please read the post before answering to it. I did clarify that if I play a premade it is fine since I will run with a team composition based against conditions (see here elementalist/support guard/support warrior/necros and add in a few power damage dealer). Team pvp and solo Q is 2 different beast. Insolo Q if you wanna win, your build diversity is affected greatly since condition needs to be hard countered if you want to ensure not raging at aoe condition fest (and as I said, sometimes even if you roll support, you alone is often not enough to keep the condition spreading around in check, and that is while playing one of the most boring bunker support build… sorry for those who loves those build but you are the true MVP).

@Dashi.1368
It is not a question of winning/losing. It is the fact that most class are forced into a specific build (be it burning build or mass cleanse build in a solo Q pvp).

Rangers -> Condi ranger
Mesmer -> There are some, glad they can still play shatter mesmer, be it condi or power.
Necromancer -> Currently in a sweet spot due to condition meta.
Elementalist -> Meta did not change how they are played, but still mainly one build can be seen and it’s DD/cele ele.

I’d rather have a win/loss ratio much worst. Let’s be honest if you duo Q and you and your friend play support/support or support/burn you just got yourself a solid starting team and will most likely win this pugs vs pugs battle. As for solo Q, odds are still in your favor if you get to play a support build. Yet, where is build diversity? Nowhere to be seen…As a Warrior main I hate this meta. It got old really fast…

if you cant make zerk warrior work in solo queue im sorry dude… did someone drop furniture on you?

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in PvP

Phantom.5389

Well, MY GS + Axe and shield works pretty fine if I should add. I’m a roamer in WvW at first so I actually handle myself pretty kitten well. But what about my team? If I don’t support them they plop like mosquitos when I see their health bar and the massive amount of conditions under them. So when I play zerker and see the massive amount of condis the ennemy team have and my team got no aoe condi cleanse, I try to play a cap battles where I move around enough to evade those aoe condis battles. Sometimes it works, but more than often it doesn’t since if the ennemy team is wise they will simply rotate for 2 cap when they know our team can’t stand the condis.

Not saying it’s impossible, oh god no. I did win against those team as zerker warrior, but usually it is because we alteast have 1 support aoe cleanser. You should probably be in the highest damage dealer in the entire match with such a build. But sustain is not your forte, and if no one else is gonna support, might as well take up the role…

in PvP

Phantom.5389

Also, I’m not a pro pvp player, I’m fairly new to this aspect of the game. I mostly played in WvW as a roamer. I did play every profession in WvW, just not every profession in pvp. I main warrior since I’ve been a fan of melee characters in every games I’ve played so far. But now I do feel forced to play support warrior more often than I can enjoy my time playing a fast paced zerker warrior. I did play thief about 3 years ago when the game came out, went for warrior after I got tired of ambushing people >:D

http://imgur.com/WFif1An

in PvP

Nocta.5274

@Nocta.5274

@Dashi.1368

Rangers -> Condi ranger
Necromancer -> Currently in a sweet spot due to condition meta.

You’re wrong on so many things it’s crazy lol

Thief is fine, it’s used by every top team bare one or two. It’s one of the best utility class you can bring to conquest mode. It suffers build variety issues but that’s always been a problem for thieves.

The most played ranger build is Power Ranger with greatsword / Longbow. Condi ranger is a gimmick 1v1 build that lose to actual good 1v1er.

Engineer is played as soldier riffle, and the second best build for it is probably celestial engi. Burn engi comes pretty far as it’s way less powerful than Burn guard at applying burn often. Burn engi is also forced into Rabid amulet, so they’re squishy as hell.

Necromancer are doing well because they have condition transfert, which by itself makes them a counter to condition build. There’s only a single good condi build being run at high level ( burn guard ). Boon corruption and uncontested 1v1 power is also very important in why they’re good.

These days, the only class with really poor condition cleanse is mesmer without inspiration because they choose to play that way. Everyone else has enough cleanse for burning to not be this big issue you try to make it to be.

Characters :
Nooctae ( Thief ) / Encelya ( Engineer ) / Jane Crimson ( Elementalist ) / Kowywr ( Revenant )
Europe, Vizunah.

in PvP

Phantom.5389

@Nocta.5274

Why can’t people read my original post >_>

Second time I have to clarify what I already posted. I don’t mean that burn is a problem for TOP TEAM PVP… Mainly because they have conditions cleanse covered with their composition.

I’m talking about solo queue, where you get to play with what you have at hand.

Also, I don’t talk about hotjoin since I don’t play in there (heard it’s a cesspool of pvp dailies farmer filled with leavers and 3v5 and 4v5).

I do give you the point about soldier engineer build, I did see it played even in solo queue, mainly due to the fact that they have high sustain and decent cleansing power while still being a decent damage dealer. But, seen more often than condition engineer? I would not go that far for solo queue, only in a team pvp scenario does I see them more often.

The pattern I notice is that any power build, to be considered viable need to be one of those build with incredible conditions immunity or condition cleanse (or be supported by a support guard/warr or necro condi transfer).

As for longbow ranger, well I did say it was not a dead end. But in any case a shatter mesmer will benefit more in a role of a 1v1 or +1 scenario than a GS/LB ranger. A good thief can still be viable in solo queue, but they usually melt nowadays when I finally get to see one of those mythical creature (exaggeration right there if you don’t catch that sarcasm). Apart from the times I queue with a friend who main thief, thieves feels underreprensented in the actual pvp scene for solo queue.

in PvP

Posted by: Drennon.7190

Drennon.7190

You’re coming here with 500 games and telling people, with literally thousands of games/hours, that you’re more knowledgeable about balance than they are. Please stop. Cry threads by low experienced people are sadly what seems to cause a lot of the poor balance choices made in the past.

Baer

in PvP

Phantom.5389

I guess I truly need 2000+ games of the same builds to notice a trend in solo Q then. Sorry I won’t bother your great knowledge senpai. My solo queue experience since the june patch are worth nothing in comparison to the great sensei knowledge.

Sorry. I am ashamed and will go dig kitten for me to hide for all eternity.

/sarcasm

From the Merriam Webster Dictrionnary

Definition of AD HOMINEM

1: appealing to feelings or prejudices rather than intellect
2: marked by or being an attack on an opponent’s character rather than by an answer to the contentions made

in PvP

Posted by: Drennon.7190

Drennon.7190

I can sit here and type up a long winded reply about how wrong your list is, but Nocta hit the nail on the head. Most of the things your complaining about are results of L2P issues.

Baer

in PvP

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I can sit here and type up a long winded reply about how wrong your list is, but Nocta hit the nail on the head. Most of the things your complaining about are results of L2P issues.

Seems like you still do not understand what OP was trying to say. This isn’t about L2P it is about diversity when you solo join matches in Unranked och Ranked. That is how I understand it. Also your post is very uncunstructive as you say how wrong OP is but you won’t prove OP wrong.

I agree with OP, I myself though am not playing anything meta becouse I dislike the current one and it is booring. I do OK with what I play.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

in PvP

Phantom.5389

@ Drennon.7490

I would indeed prefer a long winded reply to be honest. This would maybe change my perspective. As you saw, I did concede the point about engineer running soldier that Nocta pointed at me. I indeed did not include that build in what solo Q players run while I in fact saw a few of them.

But so far solo Q is not in a lively form (atleast from what I noticed in all the games I played since the june patch). It feels pretty stale to me in term of builds diversity.

To be honest, I know where you are coming from. Team pvp is fun, hell me and my friends in a premade team go in ranked and we enjoy it. We once had a match vs the Abjured and we did fairly well in 300-500 game (defeat). Was far from perfect, but we did decent for a team who don’t take part in any form of tournament. Our team comp often revolves around 1 support guardian, 1 cele ele and me on GS / axe+shield warrior.

It just feels like meta is being forced to run anti condi in order to make sure burning is kept in check.

in PvP

Nocta.5274

@Nocta.5274

Why can’t people read my original post >_>

Second time I have to clarify what I already posted. I don’t mean that burn is a problem for TOP TEAM PVP… Mainly because they have conditions cleanse covered with their composition.

I’m talking about solo queue, where you get to play with what you have at hand.

Also, I don’t talk about hotjoin since I don’t play in there (heard it’s a cesspool of pvp dailies farmer filled with leavers and 3v5 and 4v5).

I do give you the point about soldier engineer build, I did see it played even in solo queue, mainly due to the fact that they have high sustain and decent cleansing power while still being a decent damage dealer. But, seen more often than condition engineer? I would not go that far for solo queue, only in a team pvp scenario does I see them more often.

The pattern I notice is that any power build, to be considered viable need to be one of those build with incredible conditions immunity or condition cleanse (or be supported by a support guard/warr or necro condi transfer).

As for longbow ranger, well I did say it was not a dead end. But in any case a shatter mesmer will benefit more in a role of a 1v1 or +1 scenario than a GS/LB ranger. A good thief can still be viable in solo queue, but they usually melt nowadays when I finally get to see one of those mythical creature (exaggeration right there if you don’t catch that sarcasm). Apart from the times I queue with a friend who main thief, thieves feels underreprensented in the actual pvp scene for solo queue.

Hum, okay. I see.
Honestly, I’m not exactly sure what you want to be done about the fact that people need to use good builds overall in solo queue.

People run these builds because they work well no matter what the composition you end up getting in your solo games. Which is also why solo queue Thieves get rarer the higher you get in MMR, it’s a good class but you can’t use it every game and most people don’t want to have to rely on a secondary.

Also, burn builds are a good gimmick to grind against bad players in my opinion. I could see Engineer choosing to play Burn rabid at the start for those reasons. Although in that kind of scenario, condi necro isn’t a thing, minionmancer will be the build to use.

Characters :
Europe, Vizunah.

in PvP

Phantom.5389

Yes, I don’t feel like the situation is that bad either. Just a bit stale.

I feel like burning guard and burning engineer need to be slightly towned down, not a ban hammer on their head but maybe make it so you don’t need to cleanse and hope it is the condition removed otherwise you are 100% sure to be screwed (random condi clear as a counter mechanic is pretty sad if you don’t run a pure anti condition build or a pure anti condition build is not around you to cleanse all the condis, thus negatign the RNG part of cleanse). It would still make pure support important because those personnal cleanse are often way too little for the amount of conditions applied or re-applied, but atleast it would give a better survival rate on the only condition that often brings more damage than all the other conditions applied to you additionned together in a given match. Like some people said, the other conditions a burn build brings are often only there to negate you from cleansing the burn applied.

Like you and I said, in team pvp burn guard or burn engineer is not a problem since the team composition always bring enough condition cleanse, the problem is mostly there in solo queue.

A good matchup to me would be one where we have different builds all around to play with and against, not just team pvp for fun matches or solo queue with burn builds/anti burn builds.

Maybe I’m too optimistic but I feel like the only thing that I want is a more balanced pvp overall? Make it so it is slightly less rock/paper/scissor. I know it is a long road to take, but bringing down the builds that grants you easy wins for minimal efforts is not so much of a bad choice. Also, a balance should never be too drastic. What they did with the burning of a celestial ele is pretty much what I would like to see happen to the other burn builds. Especially in consideration of the new blood coming in this game with HoT. Imagine how they will feel if they don’t know the counter to it. Lucky me I had 2800+ hours roaming in WvW before I came to pvp so I had the mechanics and counter for that meta already in my head. But those new players getting condition applied to them and then use their personnal condi cleanse to finally cleanse poison and bleed that have been applied from sigils, die a horrible death in the next few seconds. Best case scenario, those new players get to effectively condi cleanse the initial burning then get a second burn bomb applied to them since zealots flame is up again with radiant flame trait proc… just to finally die in less than 10 seconds will get pretty frustrated. Also note that those players might think getting more tank stats will save them and try a big tanky amulet to finally get killed in about the same amount of time since thougness doesn’t negate condition, only cleanse mechanics truly do. They will probably cry bloody murder against such a thing.

They will either adapt and go for anti condi or get into a condition build themselves when they solo queue (getting into team pvp when you start an mmo is usually much harder to do right off the start). Otherwise, they will drop the towel and look for a greener pasture somewhere else :S

I don’t know how you feel about that. Maybe I am alone feeling like GW2 build diversity needs a little something.

in PvP

Nocta.5274

I’ve never been one to really care much about build variety as long as each class has atleast one very viable build to play. I’m a Thief player after all, so I know the situation.

I think the elite spec will bring some needed build variety, but if it was to stay like it is right now, I’m fine with it. Almost every class has 2 good builds to use, and a few decent ones for fun that still perform okay.

Characters :
Europe, Vizunah.

in PvP

Posted by: Starfall.6425

Starfall.6425

I have 800 games and play mostly solo. I don’t see burn as a real problem. It’s just currently good.

What I see as problem is that people want to play their favorite class with their favorite build and expect it to always work. If people would look at the teams and the map and maybe switch a utility accordingly there would be much less QQ. I often switch my char or a utility depending on what team I or the enemy has.

[DP] – Diamond Pirates
[AM] – Abaddon’s Mouth

in PvP

Phantom.5389

I have 800 games and play mostly solo. I don’t see burn as a real problem. It’s just currently good.

What I see as problem is that people want to play their favorite class with their favorite build and expect it to always work. If people would look at the teams and the map and maybe switch a utility accordingly there would be much less QQ. I often switch my char or a utility depending on what team I or the enemy has.

Yes, that is why I also play shoutheal warrior even if I prefer GS axe + shield due to my 2800 hours roaming on that build :‘( I would not mind if I had to play support once in a while, but sometimes it’s like 3 games in a row playing support.

You my friend just gave me a kitten good idea on the subject and I love you for that alone <3

I wish there was a role that you could chose to play. Support builds would probably have instant queue that’s for sure, but that is because they took the non selfish way. Props to them and would promote the forever forgotten support players. I would rather wait a bit more in order to get a matchup with a support when I truly want to play my full dps warrior. Otherwise, if I’m tired of waiting, I could alway check the case for to be the support role or DPS role and let the first role needed in a team to dictate my match making.

Dunno if that is even possible to implement, but I would love it
That fix would be my favorite one… What are your thoughts about solo queue and roles ready check?

P.S. if my idea seems unclear, I can explain what I’m thinking about. A bit like a ready check when you queue for a Raid in a holy trinity mmo (DPS-Healer-Tank), except that over here there would only truly be bunker/support and dps? Just a wild thought ^^

in PvP

choovanski.5462

Yes, that is why I also play shoutheal warrior even if I prefer GS axe + shield due to my 2800 hours roaming on that build :‘( I would not mind if I had to play support once in a while, but sometimes it’s like 3 games in a row playing support.

You my friend just gave me a kitten good idea on the subject and I love you for that alone <3

I wish there was a role that you could chose to play. Support builds would probably have instant queue that’s for sure, but that is because they took the non selfish way. Props to them and would promote the forever forgotten support players. I would rather wait a bit more in order to get a matchup with a support when I truly want to play my full dps warrior. Otherwise, if I’m tired of waiting, I could alway check the case for to be the support role or DPS role and let the first role needed in a team to dictate my match making.

Dunno if that is even possible to implement, but I would love it
That fix would be my favorite one… What are your thoughts about solo queue and roles ready check?

P.S. if my idea seems unclear, I can explain what I’m thinking about. A bit like a ready check when you queue for a Raid in a holy trinity mmo (DPS-Healer-Tank), except that over here there would only truly be bunker/support and dps? Just a wild thought ^^

i & other people have suggested this before. you really need one bunker, & one bruiser in the team. the ability to que with roles would be great even if it was occasionally abused.

in PvP

Posted by: Starfall.6425

Starfall.6425

I think it is too random and far off. Anet does not even have a split for solo and premade teams, so I doubt something like that would be done until 2020 and even then it might suck.

Anet might adjust the condi-dmg a bit.. nearing burn and bleed towards each other. Beside that people need to accept that meta shifts with each patch and so new strong builds emerge and counters to them get viable. A later patch will change it again (because Anet stomps something again) ^^

I think it’s a deal with it situation. Nothing is really broken and just because a number of players don’t want to play/can’t deal with something doesn’t mean there needs to be a general nerf.

[DP] – Diamond Pirates
[AM] – Abaddon’s Mouth

in PvP

Phantom.5389

Ahah, I guess! Sorry if it was already an idea that was vehiculed a while ago. As I said, I’m new to the pvp scene <3

And yes, I guess it might truly be a deal with it situation. As I said build diversity is not that horrible. Still a few builds here and there to play with, especially when you play as a premade. Otherwise, you might cry a few times that no one wants to play support, but the same thing might happen to the ennemy team! Who knows ^^

Thanks everyone for the discussion, been a great talk.
Signed, a fellow Canadian <3

in PvP

choovanski.5462

most of the time i play the bunker for full or partial premades. occasionally somone else takes up the role, or i just get sick of warrior & play engineer. bunkers ate nearly always a must have. bruiser heavy teams can get away without them, but they are still good to have in teamfights. it’s just the way of rpg conquest, you need tankyness & support on point, so you basically need a bunker. it’s just the way of team games, it’s best if you plsy roles.