[NA] Academy Gaming 1v1 Cup #1

in PvP

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

Info & Signups: http://battlefy.com/academy-gaming/na-ag-1v1-cup-1/55d9f83372e7d54700566e82/info

Date: September 19th
Time: Check Battlefy for your specific timezone

After a recent trial run a couple of weeks ago I’m happy to say we’re beginning a 1v1 cup. To be clear, this will be held on North American servers, open to all players, and will be held bi-monthly.

The reason for this not being held every week is due to it relying heavily on community-funding and it is a lot of work. We’re just trying to give players something fresh every couple of months.

ALL rulings are located in the Battlefy rulings, so get familiar with them if you plan on participating.

FAQs:

Q: Why aren’t you allowing Carrion and Rabid?
A: We’re allowing 32 players, potentially 64, in a double elimination format and we’d like to get this finished in a timely manner. Also, it ruins the nature of a “glassy-builds” 1v1 tournament.

Q: How can I donate to the prize pool?
A: Send donations for the prize pool to Tichorum.2415 in-game. Also, please refer to the “Prizing” section on Battlefy for the specifics.

Q: So if I signup now I’m guaranteed a spot?
A: No. As the rulings say, the first 32 to check-in, which begins 30 minutes before the tournament begins, are guaranteed a spot. This is so we do not have to deal with no-shows.

All rules are final. If you aren’t happy with them, I apologize, but they will not be changed unless there are serious concerns.

If you have any legit concerns, please don’t hesitate to let me know. This is for fun, so please treat it as that, thanks!

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.

(edited by tichorum.2415)

in PvP

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

Your rules are bad.

Ranger | Elementalist

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

When you have to ban about half the builds in the game, that’s saying something…

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in PvP

Posted by: BurrTheKing.8571

BurrTheKing.8571

What are your guidelines for the use of terrain? I’ve been in servers where players will constantly use skills like Blink and Lighting Flash to reach areas that melee focused builds generally can’t deal with.

The rocks on the side of the water near both spawns and even the “stands” in the middle of Legacy are often used to break LoS and imo makes fights much less interesting. Even hugging those pillars can make ranged builds and AoE builds have a big advantage.

Some argue that using the map takes skill but I believe that a duel should be like a boxing match where it’s just you and your opponent.

Just an angry old man…

Old Man Burr (War), Bad Hat Ben (Engi), Manly Manny Manson (Guard)

in PvP

Posted by: Random Weird Guy.3528

Random Weird Guy.3528

When you have to ban about half the builds in the game, that’s saying something…

Yes, it’s saying that half the builds in the game are sustain builds and would make the tournament unnecessarily long.

Random Engineering // Trixxti // Random Noises (worst thief eu)
Svanir Appreciation Society [SAS]

in PvP

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

Yes, it’s saying that half the builds in the game are sustain builds and would make the tournament unnecessarily long.

This.

… I still want tengu.

in PvP

Posted by: Velimere.7685

Velimere.7685

Players will begin by bowing to each other; any match that does not begin without a bow will be reset

Oh dear… That’s quite a conundrum! How ever will matches take place like this?

Anyone who says Zerk is the average Joe build is an average Joe.

in PvP

Posted by: Chapell.1346

Chapell.1346

Oh look 1v1, the thing i do for living. been ages since ive done this kind of nuisance.

[Urge]
Between a master and apprentice, i would love to see the differences.

in PvP

tichorum.2415

Your rules are bad.

Great feedback. I’m sorry taunt in banned. The last tournament have 3/4 rangers in the final due to taunt.

in PvP

tichorum.2415

What are your guidelines for the use of terrain? I’ve been in servers where players will constantly use skills like Blink and Lighting Flash to reach areas that melee focused builds generally can’t deal with.

The rocks on the side of the water near both spawns and even the “stands” in the middle of Legacy are often used to break LoS and imo makes fights much less interesting. Even hugging those pillars can make ranged builds and AoE builds have a big advantage.

Some argue that using the map takes skill but I believe that a duel should be like a boxing match where it’s just you and your opponent.

We don’t really need to worry about this. It’s the beach on Forest. We’ll outline it before it begins.

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

I personally approve of the ban list for ranger. Taunt is broken. It unnecessarily goes through blind and evade skills. Moreover, NM and WS are the easiest trait lines for ranger to be successful. I don’t think any of these are needed with only dps ammys available.

in PvP

Posted by: TheLargeUnit.2793

TheLargeUnit.2793

Not saying I disagree with the ban on PU for mesmer, but it kinda goes to show how there are not too many viable builds without it.

Achmed Afro Thunder ~ Six Ft Pole Achmed ~ Dharok The Ravenous
Long Live [ASAP] Zerg: The greatest guild that ever was or will be.

in PvP

Velimere.7685

Not saying I disagree with the ban on PU for mesmer, but it kinda goes to show how there are not too many viable builds without it.

I wholeheartedly agree with the PU ban; stealth resets are disgusting in duels.

in PvP

Posted by: TheLargeUnit.2793

TheLargeUnit.2793

As do I, but this should be kind of a red flag in terms of mesmers lacking any viable builds that are not dependent on the stealth mechanic.

Achmed Afro Thunder ~ Six Ft Pole Achmed ~ Dharok The Ravenous
Long Live [ASAP] Zerg: The greatest guild that ever was or will be.

in PvP

Velimere.7685

As do I, but this should be kind of a red flag in terms of mesmers lacking any viable builds that are not dependent on the stealth mechanic.

I’ll be playing Mesmer for the tournament, and I won’t be using any stealth.

in PvP

Posted by: OlrunTheBlade.1486

OlrunTheBlade.1486

That’s funny, because I expect a mantra mesmer to win this easily.

Captain of Never Lucky [NL]
Competitive Warrior, Ele, Mesmer, Ranger, Engineer, Thief

in PvP

Posted by: Alekt.5803

Alekt.5803

Have you ever seen a Rampager Staff ele build? Here I come.

Alerie Despins

in PvP

Posted by: Sharen Graves.1276

Sharen Graves.1276

Amulet restrictions is Meh. Should let any amulet to be used and have a (x) min fight limit. After the limit then implement restrictions. But this will be nothing but a burst fest and who has the better ping. At least let them use Carrion as an alternate for the Condi builds.

Also restricting the Mesmer so they cant inves and reset the fight. But nothing to the Thief.

(With the above I mean no disrespect it just curious observations. Good luck to who ever enters and wins.)

in PvP

Posted by: Terrorsquad.4802

Terrorsquad.4802

Amulet restrictions is Meh. Should let any amulet to be used and have a (x) min fight limit. After the limit then implement restrictions. But this will be nothing but a burst fest and who has the better ping. At least let them use Carrion as an alternate for the Condi builds.

Also restricting the Mesmer so they cant inves and reset the fight. But nothing to the Thief.

(With the above I mean no disrespect it just curious observations. Good luck to who ever enters and wins.)

Thief should have Rejuv GM trait banned. Which is the one causing to regen in stealth.

Denied NA Account | 8.4k hours | 5.6k Games | Bored

in PvP

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

It is banned…

… I still want tengu.

in PvP

Posted by: Cat Wrangler.9176

Cat Wrangler.9176

Bumped but i need 15 characters

in PvP

Posted by: sinject.4607

sinject.4607

happy to see TAUNT: THE PROFESSION is pretty much clipped of all it’s sleaze. same could be said about ele since it cant go cele (hopefully this’ll tell us just how badly celestial is carrying elementalist) but idk about mesmer. guess we’ll find out.

in PvP

Posted by: Terrorsquad.4802

Terrorsquad.4802

It is banned…

I know it is, was confirming it for the guy saying nothing was banned for the thief

Denied NA Account | 8.4k hours | 5.6k Games | Bored

in PvP

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

Are these 1v1s going to be recorded and uploaded somewhere? would be great to watch the games

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

I disagree with Carrion and Rabid.

Raw damage / Condition / Sustains
This is the game’s build types. It is all mixed matched within amulets.

Carrion Amulet is (finally) equivalent to Marauders so why exclude it when there’s a power equivalent amulet?

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

in PvP

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

Of course this happens when my laptop’s keyboard decides to stop working. Hopefully I can get this fixed before the 19th.

One thing you might want to look in to are sigils of blood & leeching. These can seriously elongate 1v1s even while running pure DPS specs.

I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.

in PvP

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

I disagree with Carrion and Rabid.

Raw damage / Condition / Sustains
This is the game’s build types. It is all mixed matched within amulets.

Carrion Amulet is (finally) equivalent to Marauders so why exclude it when there’s a power equivalent amulet?

Overall, condie builds always hold a clear advantage over zerker builds in 1v1’s. It’s much easier to have a balanced tournament with only zerker builds.

in PvP

tichorum.2415

Still plenty of spots open for this!

in PvP

Posted by: Quadox.7834

Quadox.7834

happy to see TAUNT: THE PROFESSION is pretty much clipped of all it’s sleaze. same could be said about ele since it cant go cele (hopefully this’ll tell us just how badly celestial is carrying elementalist) but idk about mesmer. guess we’ll find out.

Fresh air ele is good 1v1er vs zerker specs. That’s about the only thing it’s good for, however.

Yaniam [Mesmer]

^ Usually only characer that i play on

in PvP

Posted by: Alekt.5803

Alekt.5803

Why not ban Mesmers too? Who will stop them?

Alerie Despins

(edited by Alekt.5803)

in PvP

Posted by: Sisyphus.4237

Sisyphus.4237

ALLOW CARRION JOE PLZZZZZZZZZZ

Throwny Is Bae ~ DROOID Kek Ez Pz [Toez]
Not Throwny is literally Not Me.
Aspect GG Admin.

in PvP

tichorum.2415

Opened up to 64 players!

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Except that spike burn builds drop people faster than zerker. The better reason for not allowing them is that it is way too easy to play at the moment. Kinda like a turret engi.

in PvP

Posted by: sinject.4607

sinject.4607

Why not ban Mesmers too? Who will stop them?

mesmers are at least beatable, they’re only slightly overpowered as it stands (still need tweaking but banning PU helps); the same can’t be said about taunt ranger or celestial specs which is why they’re banned im assuming.

in PvP

Posted by: Obindo.6802

Obindo.6802

Will this ever also be on EU?

in PvP

tichorum.2415

Rule change: Players may switch between two classes throughout the tournament. If you’ve already signed up, I encourage you to unjoin and signup again including the new field of information.

@Obindo – Only available on NA currently. I will see about an EU tournament in the future.

in PvP

Posted by: ragnarokda.1805

ragnarokda.1805

Except that spike burn builds drop people faster than zerker. The better reason for not allowing them is that it is way too easy to play at the moment. Kinda like a turret engi.

Wrong.

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Yea, it says something…

It says that this game isn’t balanced for 1 v 1.

I know you’re trying to insinuate that this is a sign that balance is terrible, but really, even if it was perfect, you wouldn’t want a game where all builds were equally viable in 1 v 1 unless the game was specifically for 1 v 1 since team tactics, role variety, and diversity in general are all important to a fun and diverse team-based PvP game.

But if you want a perfectly balanced 1 v 1 PvP game where skill is the only factor, feel free to go play a boardgame of checkers, lol.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Yea, it says something…

It says that this game isn’t balanced for 1 v 1.

I know you’re trying to insinuate that this is a sign that balance is terrible, but really, even if it was perfect, you wouldn’t want a game where all builds were equally viable in 1 v 1 unless the game was specifically for 1 v 1 since team tactics, role variety, and diversity in general are all important to a fun and diverse team-based PvP game.

But if you want a perfectly balanced 1 v 1 PvP game where skill is the only factor, feel free to go play a boardgame of checkers, lol.

This game can be very balanced in the 1v1 area but it just isn’t as balanced and that aspect is definitely not as focused as it should be. There are a lot of underutilized traits and utility skills in the game that would make 1v1 balancing incredibly easy… at least.. easier than balancing Specializations in TPvP.

An example are the selfishly single targeting Guardian Signet and Warrior’s Physical utilities. They’re meant for single target play but they are heavily underutilized for that area.

Staying on topic, it’s hard to allow Carrion amulet when I know Mesmers will wreck shop with it compared to other condi builds.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

in PvP

tichorum.2415

We’re only a few days away and at 59/64 not including no-shows. Get signed up guys!

in PvP

Posted by: Vallun.2071

Vallun.2071

I have seen Steb’s scorpion wire prophecy