-> Ranger, NM/Survi/Druid , Sentinel
-> Mesmer, Domination/Dueling/Chrono, Maruader
-> Mesmer, Domination/Dueling/Chrono, Maruader
-> Ele, Earth/Water/Tempest, Cele

Ez Pz Lemon Squeezy
-> Guardian, Valor/Virtues/DH, Marauder
-> Thief, DA/Trickery/SA, Marauder
-> Ele, Water/Earth/Tempest, Cele
-> Rev, Invocation/Retribution/Herald, Marauder [Switched in G2 to: Mesmer, Domination/Dueling/Chrono, Marauder]
-> Ranger, NM/BM/Druid, Cele [Switched in G2 to: Mesmer, Domination/Dueling/Chrono, Zerker]

Match 2: Spoookie vs Never Lucky [2:0]

Spoookie
-> Necro, Spite/SReaping/Reaper, Wanderer
-> Necro, Spite/SReaping/Reaper, Cele
-> Thief, Trickery/DA/DD, Marauder
-> Rev, Devastation/Invocation/Herald, Marauder

Never Lucky
-> Engi, Inv/Alchemy/Scrapper, Marauder
-> Thief, DA/Trickery/DD, Marauder
-> Rev, Retribution/Devastation/Herald, Marauder

Match 3: Apex Prime vs Team PZ [2:1]

Apex Prime
-> Guard, Valor/Virtues/DH, Marauder
-> Rev, Devastation/Corruption/Herald, Cele
-> Rev, Devastation/Corruption/Herald, Cele
-> Necro, Spite/SReaping/Reaper, Cele

Team PZ:
-> Mesmer, Domination/Inspration/Chrono, Marauder
-> Rev, Devastation/Inv/Herald, Marauder
-> Engi, Inv/Alch/Scrapper, Cele
-> Rev, Corruption/Retribution/Herald, Viper

————————————————————————————

Marauder : 14
Celestial : 13
Sentinel : 2
Viper : 1
Zerker : 1
Wanderer : 1

Revenant : 7
Elementalist : 7
Mesmer : 5
Necromancer : 3
Ranger : 3
Thief : 3
Engineer : 2
Guardian : 2
Warrior : 0

(edited by Morwath.9817)

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: Zeghart.9841

Zeghart.9841

No Warriors?! Mmmh…

Don’t panic guys, but I believe I’m starting to see a pattern here…

In all seriousness, thanks once again for taking the time to do these summaries Morwath. I missed a couple matches and this is a very quick way to recap the results and what was used.

It has to start somewhere. It has to start sometime.
What better place than here? What better time than now?

(edited by Zeghart.9841)

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

go necro goooooooo

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

Wait. Was there no one at all running the base classes? All elite specs? Ouch.

Other than that though aye. Thanks for making these. Its good to know what everyone will soon be FoTMing >.<

Ghost Yak

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: Dakarius.3284

Dakarius.3284

There was 1 thief running vanilla sa/da/tr

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: Deniara Devious.3948

Deniara Devious.3948

This is more than enough proof that the new elite specs are overpowered compared to the base classes. GW2 has truly become pay to win. Arenanet lives in a fantasy land if thinks serious gamers will consider this as eports, based on these statistics.

And also for the love of warriors, please do something for their sustain! Now we have zero warriors in the top. Warriors have access to tons of CC and potential for great burst, but the death of sustain warriors (mainly shoutbow completely out of meta) is a bad thing. If warrior selects all the defensive traits and utilities, it should be tanky as hell, but it isn’t and that is the biggest problem now. Shout base heal is a bit too weak, warhorn is weak at its current state. Warrior lacks a trait which can give it +20% boon duration (inspiring presense could do it). Berserker trait tree lacks defensive options. Forceful greatsword is still too overpowered trait, limiting warrior’s build diversity. Offhand axe is still kinda meh and rifle is one trick pony with berserker/gunflame.

Deniara / Ayna – I want the original WvWvW maps back – Desolation [EU]

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Hahaha and the people on the ele forums thought that tempest would never see the light of day in high level pvp. How about them apples.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

And also for the love of warriors, please do something for their sustain!

Fix the stupid amounts of power creep on everything else and warrior is fine. Sure, you could buff warrior but that just continues down this path towards every skill either being an invuln, full heal, or 1-shot KO that we are on now.

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: meow one twenty.4376

meow one twenty.4376

Hahaha and the people on the ele forums thought that tempest would never see the light of day in high level pvp. How about them apples.

Yeah, what losers, with their high usefulnesness across all game modes.

Alright meow, where were we?

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: Kicker.8203

Kicker.8203

someone make a statistics for classes of winning teams

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: Israel.7056

Israel.7056

Hey at least it’s not 4 cele eles wins right?

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

This is more than enough proof that the new elite specs are overpowered compared to the base classes.

Or could it be to some extent due to players wanting to play what is new, and turns out to be on par with vanilla classes? Excluding the warrior though.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Its 1 particular build with a couple of variants that most actually thought would be the only possible worthwhile build of tempest. So they were right in that respect. The difference is 1 of degree, most wouldn’t have thought it would become entrenched in the meta.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

(edited by morrolan.9608)

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: Soryuju.8164

Soryuju.8164

This is more than enough proof that the new elite specs are overpowered compared to the base classes.

Or could it be to some extent due to players wanting to play what is new, and turns out to be on par with vanilla classes? Excluding the warrior though.

These are professional players competing for a $200,000 prize pool, and they’ve already had a full month to play with the new specs in casual games. When you’re on a pro team competing in a major tournament, you play what you think is going to give you the best chance of winning, not what you happen to feel like that day. That can even mean switching off of your preferred profession for the duration of a meta where that profession is weak. A handful of pro players do specialize on one profession exclusively, but these players are the minority, and often need to have team compositions built around them to compensate when their profession isn’t “up.”

The results here show that the game’s most competitive players resoundingly agree that almost all elite specs are superior to their base professions, and that Warrior has no place in the competitive metagame. It’s possible that a few regular specs could slip back into the meta if they can be used to counter specific elite specs, but we’re not looking at anything resembling balance between the two. It’s the opposite of what Anet said they were aiming for.

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

nearlight.3064

These are professional players competing for a $200,000 prize pool, and they’ve already had a full month to play with the new specs in casual games. When you’re on a pro team competing in a major tournament, you play what you think is going to give you the best chance of winning, not what you happen to feel like that day. That can even mean switching off of your preferred profession for the duration of a meta where that profession is weak. A handful of pro players do specialize on one profession exclusively, but these players are the minority, and often need to have team compositions built around them to compensate when their profession isn’t “up.”

The results here show that the game’s most competitive players resoundingly agree that almost all elite specs are superior to their base professions, and that Warrior has no place in the competitive metagame. It’s possible that a few regular specs could slip back into the meta if they can be used to counter specific elite specs, but we’re not looking at anything resembling balance between the two. It’s the opposite of what Anet said they were aiming for.

Well done teams used base elementalist or base warrior in the NA qualifiers but didn’t win to go on to qualify for the proleague itself. I also remember olrun only recently swapped to tempest and was playing d/d ele in the normal esls, which qualified their team for this competition.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: lighter.2708

lighter.2708

there are so many warriors, too op nerf please

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Kicker.8203

And lost 0-2. In eu there wasnt a single player without elite spec.

One would think they would leave a few vanilla builds meta so free players dont feel like its pay to win. Seems thats not the case. Every elite spec is better in all aspects. Right balancing would make you sometimes not to pick the elite traitline.

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

One would think they would leave a few vanilla builds meta so free players dont feel like its pay to win. Seems thats not the case. Every elite spec is better in all aspects. Right balancing would make you sometimes not to pick the elite traitline.

Honey played Water/Earth/Arcane.

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: Schurge.5194

Schurge.5194

Free players are playing an extended trial… Who cares what they think? HoT is the game now – if you don’t own it, tough nuts! Expansions are not Pay-2-Win.

Champion Phantom
We are not friends.

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: Kanyin.9605

Kanyin.9605

Why is there so much focus on the forums regarding free to play? It’s an extended demo basically. Free to play is an afterthought. You had to buy the game to play it before and no one called it pay 2 win. HoT is an expansion. It is not a pay 2 win model. The gem shop would have to have items that would be more power than items available through normal play to be pay 2 win.

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: Nova Stiker.8396

Nova Stiker.8396

Because 99% of ele players are bad. I’m starting to use Warhorn on Tempest and I’m actually liking it.

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

These are professional players competing for a $200,000 prize pool, and they’ve already had a full month to play with the new specs in casual games. When you’re on a pro team competing in a major tournament, you play what you think is going to give you the best chance of winning, not what you happen to feel like that day. That can even mean switching off of your preferred

Unless you are Crysis. Then yolo. #BestNPCKillerNA

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: Harvey.7820

Harvey.7820

This is quite disheartening. Anet did not deliver on their promise that elite specs are meant to be a different way to play the class instead of direct upgrades. The elite specs are direct upgrades for every class other than Warriors and in that case, the entire class has become obsolete and forgotten.

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: Nova Stiker.8396

Nova Stiker.8396

This is quite disheartening. Anet did not deliver on their promise that elite specs are meant to be a different way to play the class instead of direct upgrades. The elite specs are direct upgrades for every class other than Warriors and in that case, the entire class has become obsolete and forgotten.

ArenaNet also said raids are not ideal for zerker gear and really bring out the most from your class. Well, raids REQUIRE zerkers.

Somewhere the design team screwed up, I can only wonder what the next balance patch will bring.

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Kicker.8203

Free players are playing an extended trial… Who cares what they think? HoT is the game now – if you don’t own it, tough nuts! Expansions are not Pay-2-Win.

2 of my friends and other acquaintances bought gw2 before the free trial and then they quit.(thats why they bought it in the first place they thought they can just jump in and out of the game because it is a 1-time purchase). I don’t think its fair to them that it’s this PTW.(they are interested about the game but they wouldn’t buy the expac straight away, my 2 friends at least)

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: Maylo.5892

Maylo.5892

2 of my friends and other acquaintances bought gw2 before the free trial and then they quit.(thats why they bought it in the first place they thought they can just jump in and out of the game because it is a 1-time purchase). I don’t think its fair to them that it’s this PTW.(they are interested about the game but they wouldn’t buy the expac straight away, my 2 friends at least)

As a pvp player i already regret buying HoT, your friends made a good decision..

Mr Maylo
Rank #1 Life

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: Sunshine.5014

Sunshine.5014

The meta is changing at an alarming rate! Now how can people cry Thief when it’s played even more than Engi? Lol

Gray out the HP for future condition damage
Already quit PvP. Just log in here and there to troll.

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: online.1278

online.1278

can you make kittening warrior like meditation guardian that does 2000 self heal when equipping berserker ammy? Or 1800 ally heal so war can come back as zerker/support hybrid.

So that it will have sustain that can endure current meta’s bunch of random dodge, random block, random blind, random traps, random slow, random evading/dodging attack and etc.

Also, convert a condi into a boon per shout like guardian does from trait.

The Korean Gamer (Best Warrior NA)
My Stream : http://www.twitch.tv/eSportsKorea see me vs Tarcis, Chaith, Crysis and etc!

(edited by online.1278)

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

And also for the love of warriors, please do something for their sustain!

Fix the stupid amounts of power creep on everything else and warrior is fine. Sure, you could buff warrior but that just continues down this path towards every skill either being an invuln, full heal, or 1-shot KO that we are on now.

That doesnt help anything. The druids in final form basically didnt die in both matches. Also the bunker eles here didnt die often either so the “pwer creep” doesnt fix warrior at all.

Warriors problems comes from if there forced into traits. If you want to do dmg you have to have pwr/dis if you want axe you have to have pwr/ potentially arms for fast hands. If you want healing you need defense. If you want adrenaline and boons you have to have discipline.

Also average and below average players cried for nerfs for rampage a 1 trick pony we all know but then they gave it to engy and engy could actually us it better then warrior and then to top it off they gave engy a 3 sec moa for it. Even before the HOT came out warrior was quickly falling out and only die hards were using in AG/ESL tournaments.

Side note about P2W, you have to realize its pay to win at the ESL level not the every where else. Also its still the same elite players from the old tournaments dominating again. Its not like some average joes walked in and became good at this. This isnt some time based moba like LOL or Dota you actually have to be good at this game to be good.

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Morwath.9817

I’ve posted NA builds (may be a little wrong if there were any extra switches, since I wasn’t watching it carefuly – booooring) – http://competitivegw2.blogspot.com/ .

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

can you make kittening warrior like meditation guardian that does 2000 self heal when equipping berserker ammy? Or 1800 ally heal so war can come back as zerker/support hybrid.

So that it will have sustain that can endure current meta’s bunch of random dodge, random block, random blind, random traps, random slow, random evading/dodging attack and etc.

Also, convert a condi into a boon per shout like guardian does from trait.

agreed, and cut wars base health by about 7.5k too so that they need to heal 2k just to have some sustain

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

1.) So combing EU and NA Pro League we see Warrior completely absent and it is the only class completely absent from pro PvP play. I know several who loved to play Warrior in PvP who have left the game over the new meta.

2.) Those still wining about Dragon Hunter meta trapper’s being OP need to learn how to play better. It’s clear DH meta is the most overrated of the new meta builds

3.) I think as the season continues more and more balance problems will be revealed though the pro team builds. Unless major changes occur, we’ll see a lot of the same in these matches. It’s a real shame that to maximize the utility of a class for pvp and to maximize your utility as a team player you are reduced to roughly a dozen combinations with one class (Warrior) not even being strong enough to compete at all. I don’t feel the balance is overall strong enough to go into a ESL Pro season and that with the balance being off it could really do more long term harm than good as respect could be lost, spectators may loose interest, etc…

(edited by SamTheGuardian.2938)

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: Zintrothen.1056

Zintrothen.1056

Morwath, could you give screenshots of the teams’ builds like you did with the EU thread?

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Morwath.9817

Morwath, could you give screenshots of the teams’ builds like you did with the EU thread?

I’ve posted link to those few posts above – http://competitivegw2.blogspot.com/ .

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: Schurge.5194

Schurge.5194

I play with a few people who bought vanilla a long time ago and haven’t bought HoT too. Expansions in MMOs are not P2W and it doesn’t matter to me if it is “fair” that you basically have to buy expansions to continue playing any successful MMO or not (in this case you really don’t have to due to the format of the game modes). It is just how it is and I prefer it that way because generally online games are better when there are paid expansions or subscription fees.

Champion Phantom
We are not friends.

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

Welcome to MMOs, where you purchase expansions to stay relevant. The fact that you can even play with people who have the expansion and not be hopelessly outleveled is revolutionary.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: Jourdelune.7456

Jourdelune.7456

I play with a few people who bought vanilla a long time ago and haven’t bought HoT too. Expansions in MMOs are not P2W and it doesn’t matter to me if it is “fair” that you basically have to buy expansions to continue playing any successful MMO or not (in this case you really don’t have to due to the format of the game modes). It is just how it is and I prefer it that way because generally online games are better when there are paid expansions or subscription fees.

SPVP is not an MMO. It’s an Multiplayer Arena Online Games that have for philosophy to equalize the field without grind or money. (don’t bring me the MOBA wiki descriptions, it’s wrong. Team fortress or unreal tournament are MOBA too)

Actually, HoT should be obtainable through gemstore for SPVP only, if Anet is serious about their SPVP. (they are clearly not, giving money to it is not the solution)

Honestly. SPVP would be way more popular if they make a different game than that MMO and PR/Marketting has his.

I am terribly afflicted by the MMO Crowd coming to my Games saying to me that I play a MMO, when I am clearly not.

65 Millions players for LOL.
2000 players for SPVP.

Why? MOBA players look for MOBA game, not MMO.

So please, cut the Heart of the MIST from the crappy carebear casual mmo we got. At least we would had better matches and not farming PVE guilds all day.

;)
Dal

p.s. my tone and sarcasm is probably greater proportional than all the rationale kittenty MMO players come saying that it’s not f2p because of expac… bla bla bla… we don’t MMO here, we SPVP here.

Dal Aï Lhama (Tempest), Dal Lahu Akbar (DH), Lord Dhal of Dharma (Scrapper) 12k+ spvp games.
Former Team Captain of ggwp (ESL weekly), GLHF (AG), MIST[CORE] spvp alliance guild.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Cogbyrn.7283

@Jourdelune: Sorry, but you purchased an MMO with a structured PvP aspect. You see the effect of them having to try to balance around all game modes all the time.

Just because you want to be blind to the fact that you’re playing an MMO because you put your PvP up on a pedestal, doesn’t mean you aren’t still playing an MMO like the rest of us.

If you want a MOBA game, there are plenty to choose from. GW2 isn’t one.

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Morwath.9817

@Jourdelune: Sorry, but you purchased an MMO with a structured PvP aspect. You see the effect of them having to try to balance around all game modes all the time.

Just because you want to be blind to the fact that you’re playing an MMO because you put your PvP up on a pedestal, doesn’t mean you aren’t still playing an MMO like the rest of us.

I disagree with you here, GW1 had its some of MMO and MOBA aspects separated a bit (e.g. some skills was working differently and went different balance routes for PvE and sPvP).

…and I believe GW1 was much better balanced, no idea why then try to balance both completly different modes together in GW2 =/

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Cogbyrn.7283

I disagree with you here, GW1 had its some of MMO and MOBA aspects separated a bit (e.g. some skills was working differently and went different balance routes for PvE and sPvP).

…and I believe GW1 was much better balanced, no idea why then try to balance both completly different modes together in GW2 =/

Maybe that’s how GW1 went about its business, but with GW2, ANet appears to want to keep the separation between game modes as limited as possible. I’m not saying GW2 couldn’t create a game mode separation and try to balance each differently, I’m just saying it’s very apparent that they are trying very hard to not do that.

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

This is more than enough proof that the new elite specs are overpowered compared to the base classes. GW2 has truly become pay to win. Arenanet lives in a fantasy land if thinks serious gamers will consider this as eports, based on these statistics.

And also for the love of warriors, please do something for their sustain! Now we have zero warriors in the top. Warriors have access to tons of CC and potential for great burst, but the death of sustain warriors (mainly shoutbow completely out of meta) is a bad thing. If warrior selects all the defensive traits and utilities, it should be tanky as hell, but it isn’t and that is the biggest problem now. Shout base heal is a bit too weak, warhorn is weak at its current state. Warrior lacks a trait which can give it +20% boon duration (inspiring presense could do it). Berserker trait tree lacks defensive options. Forceful greatsword is still too overpowered trait, limiting warrior’s build diversity. Offhand axe is still kinda meh and rifle is one trick pony with berserker/gunflame.

dude its one tournie, theres no meta yet, and HoT has been out a month. give it time

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

Because 99% of ele players are bad. I’m starting to use Warhorn on Tempest and I’m actually liking it.

This is truth. In all seriousness, Ele has the worst players imo. I didnt notice it for the longest, but I think its because the same build was the most viable/meta build for so long that… well, it spawned bad players.

dunno, but I agree with you

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: Darknicrofia.2604

Darknicrofia.2604

GW1 was much better balanced simply because GW1 was solely designed as a PvP game, Anet originally intentionally left out pretty much any meaningful PvE content (low level cap, max gear readily available) as PvE was only meant to teach you the mechanics before you hop into PvP.

It had defined roles in the classes and established positional play (backline, midline frontline) and a game engine that wasn’t as fast paced as GW2’s combat (that is a good thing) which allowed for a more spectator friendly game and easier for players to notice the tells and not being distracted by all the particle effects.

GW1 was a game that was MADE for esports and twitch, sadly it was simply too ahead of its time. I have no doubt in my mind that if GW1 was launched at the same time as LoL and Dota 2, it’d be crushing both of those games in esports popularity.

Darknicrofia Sage – Bad Gerdian, Merciless Legend, Platinum NA Solo Que

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: posthumecaver.6473

posthumecaver.6473

You know, only reason people play Tempest, an old trait in the water line, take out the Aura Sharing, let see how many people will play Tempest, when OP perma protection/perma fury/constant healing/perma aura/perma swiftness/disappears.

Aura sharing was mehhh before specialization patch now OP like hell….let see what happens when it gets 10s ICD, which I am sure on the way.

(edited by posthumecaver.6473)

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Textbook case of P2W.

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

nearlight.3064

You know, only reason people play Tempest, an old trait in the water line, take out the Aura Sharing, let see how many people will play Tempest, when OP perma protection/perma fury/constant healing/perma aura/perma swiftness/disappears.

Aura sharing was mehhh before specialization patch now OP like hell….let see what happens when it gets 10s ICD, which I am sure on the way.

Then everyone would switch to cleansing water/torrents tempest with soldier runes and just run full aura-shouts to cleanse condis on their team by a ridiculous margin.

It would honestly be the next shoutbow warrior from old cele meta in an ele skin. I’ve played it a few times, and while aura-share is way more fun, this build negates all the damage that condi builds can really do in teamfights, which I think is a bit unhealthy for the game.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

NA Pro League Meta

in PvP

Morwath.9817

Added also NA builds into “Builds” section (each profession has its own section)

Two screens how it looks on site ;-)

Attachments: