NA ToG Qualifier BRACKETS for 9/13 & 9/14

in PvP

Posted by: SgtJanitor.3164

SgtJanitor.3164

One of the most pedantic and difficult challenges we faced when setting up this particular tournament up was coming up with a way to create a fair and balanced bracket. In order to address this, we employed an array of seamless, interconnected and automated parsing applications that have the sole collective purpose of generating an artificial rating for every competitive player on every competitive team since the first Tournament of Legends. These individual ratings are then compiled with the other players on each competing team and averaged to create a comprehensive team rating. For each team that had members that had not previously participated in the known competitive PvP environment, we decided on a very pragmatic approach: pull all known data on each individual in regard to Team Queue history, Solo Queue history, known associations through team histories and anything else we could learn about the individual, and then we processed that information into a data stream that would collect it, parse it and requite an operational figure for us to compare with the already ranked individuals.

However, the beauty of the system is what follows: its efficacy for all future endeavors. Since the system is written to have the ability to pull data from brackets and adjust figures through the intrinsic algorithms therein as tournaments are played out, the ratings will adjust dynamically.

This process will now effectively seed teams outside of the top 8-12, relinquishing the necessity for random seeding for unestablished teams in large tournaments that can sometimes lead to unfair matchups being played early in the tournament and teams missing out on a chance for a better placing that they deserved.

In order to ensure your team gets good seeding for future tournaments run by Digital Pro Sports, it is in your best interest, and I personally behoove you, to become as active as possible in the competitive scene. The more data we can throw at the system, the more accurate the ratings will be.

So, without further adieu, the brackets for the first qualifier for the much anticipated North American Tournament of Glory:

September 13th
September 14th

Good luck, teams; we look forward to watching you carve your names into GW2 eSports history.

Heurix
Authorized Shoutcaster for ArenaNet, ESL, and DPS

(edited by SgtJanitor.3164)

in PvP

SgtJanitor.3164

Also, to address the byes in the preliminary rounds:
In order to cultivate an even distribution of teams across all qualifier dates and present a fair and honest bracket system, we decided it was mutually beneficial to everyone to move the top teams forward through the bracket as they would have already and give teams that are otherwise not established an opportunity for higher placement and potential to win prizes.

Heurix

in PvP

Posted by: xantosnightwish.5438

xantosnightwish.5438

I should also add that the top 4 teams on our internal leaderboard (which we will be releasing more info on soon) all told us they couldnt switch to the 1st weekend when approached initially. Hence the loaded 2nd weekend.

DPS Co-Owner and CEO
Digital Pro Sports
Bear Cavalry of Legend PVP 4life!

in PvP

Posted by: Aaron.2413

Aaron.2413

can you tell me the roster of evil loves villains??

in PvP

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.

in PvP

Posted by: Aaron.2413

Aaron.2413

Can you explain how Darth Marvin Kizos CmC, have a higher rating than Backpack Happy Kid, Mime??
Backpack-Won last ToL
Happy Kid- Former member of the team that won ToL 2
those accomplishments alone should place them above these players, who I believe have never played at the top tier.

(edited by Aaron.2413)

in PvP

xantosnightwish.5438

Backpack’s team has two missing members atm. That means the team ELO rating is brought down as we plugged in the default rating for those two missing slots. This is why having a complete roster when you sign up is drastically important.

DPS Co-Owner and CEO
Digital Pro Sports

in PvP

xantosnightwish.5438

Backpack’s team has two missing members atm. That means the team ELO rating is brought down as we plugged in the default rating for those two missing slots. This is why having a complete roster when you sign up is drastically important.

Several other teams were impacted by the same thing. Most notably No Clue. If you have any further questions, email me at jczech@digitalprosports.com

DPS Co-Owner and CEO
Digital Pro Sports

in PvP

SgtJanitor.3164

It’s also worth it to mention that, on top of everything Justin just stated, because members of the team Evil Villains Love Hoes all have a very static standing in their ratings, their scoring is very similar and fairly high, placing their average closer to the top because of the consistency of the individual ratings.

This is similar, albeit to a lesser degree, to the team Apex Prime. The team has a very consistent roster and as such does not suffer from deviation due to missing roster slots or inconsistencies.
Without going much into it, mathematically, it pays to stick together as a team just as much as it pays to have a completed roster for signups.

Heurix

in PvP

Posted by: bobloblaw.5618

bobloblaw.5618

Also, don’t forget, SgtJanitor is an “Apex Prime Raid Leader.” Without going much into it, mathematically, it pays to be seeding the team you’re associated with.

R333333333KT.

in PvP

Posted by: OlrunTheBlade.1486

OlrunTheBlade.1486

Are we really going into that again? Come on, Bob…

Captain of Never Lucky [NL]
Competitive Warrior, Ele, Mesmer, Ranger, Engineer, Thief

in PvP

Posted by: QtHman.6502

QtHman.6502

Also, don’t forget, SgtJanitor is an “Apex Prime Raid Leader.” Without going much into it, mathematically, it pays to be seeding the team you’re associated with.

R333333333KT.

The tears from you are so good

in PvP

Posted by: bobloblaw.5618

bobloblaw.5618

Nessie made me post it.

in PvP

Posted by: Chaotic.9742

Chaotic.9742

Nessie made me post it.

Don’t you spread your lies with that vile tongue of yours!

in PvP

Posted by: Nimrud.5642

Nimrud.5642

Sorry for the noobie-interruption, but am I getting it right that the pvp community picked up the slack instead of Anet when it comes to organizing events? According to my memories the ratio is somewhere between 1:3 to 1:5 of Anet organized and pvp community organized tournaments. Which shows how neglected we are. I tend to accept all the other issues we have with Anet, but come on! Is it really hard to do Blu’s work? If he can do it while having his own life (and the problems that come with it: school, work, etc.) then what would it take for some1 who has an actual job at Anet?

Not that getting answers for these questions would change a thing, still I had to share my dissatisfaction.

enthusiastic noob

in PvP

Posted by: Booms.2594

Booms.2594

Heurix does have a massive tendency to lean in the favor of apex but luckily apex is good enough that they can’t really be cheated into a higher seed

gerdian

in PvP

xantosnightwish.5438

Heurix does have a massive tendency to lean in the favor of apex but luckily apex is good enough that they can’t really be cheated into a higher seed

This perceived DPS + APEX connection simply due to Heurix being one of their founding members (on the WvW team that predated the PvP team) is why we implemented our mathematical ELO ratings to begin with…

For full disclosure, Heurix left Apex as part of our conditions for him coming on board full time with the company weeks ago. He is very proud of his accomplishments in the WvW scene and his role in contributing ideas to the original Apex comp from Tol1 so he wears his APEX Raid Leader badge in the sig proudly. We would never consider asking him to remove it. His opinions on stream are his own, just like mine are. Id say he’s pretty fair when it comes to acknowledging the good teams when we get to cast them.

APEX won the first ToL and was in the finals for ToL2. Had they actually played in MP weeklies, they may have been our top seed overall mathematically. Much like TCG/TM, they earned their spot as a top team by sticking together and playing at a high level consistently. We’ll be addressing the brackets fully shortly, to alleviate many of the concerns.

DPS Co-Owner and CEO
Digital Pro Sports

(edited by xantosnightwish.5438)

in PvP

tichorum.2415

Sooo do we get to see a lot of matches? I’d like to see most of the quals at least.

in PvP

Posted by: Mustafa.7684

Mustafa.7684

Quick question. What happens if the other team doesnt show up? Do we get technically victory (and win the Llama)? Or we move on and we have to win that match to get a Llama?

Also according to the battlefy.com some of the teams are facing against BYE, can you further elaborate on that?

(edited by Mustafa.7684)

in PvP

tichorum.2415

Quick question. What happens if the other team doesnt show up? Do we get technically victory (and win the Llama)? Or we move on and we have to win that match to get a Llama?

Also according to the battlefy.com some of the teams are facing against BYE, can you further elaborate on that?

If the team you play doesn’t show up you get a win and receive the prizes associated with that win.

A “BYE” means that there is no team there and they get a free pass to the next game. It is because they are using a standard 32-team bracket and there are only 21 or 22 teams. The higher seeded teams get a BYE because of this.